Darlington V Telford

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlopartisan
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Telford

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:14 am

On a side note one thing I did notice last night is that MGs academy advertising board in the seated stand has been replaced with another, can’t of renewed.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:19 am

TW says in his interview that he gets offered loan players almost on a daily basis but that he's loyal to his players and he's questioned if that has to change. YES!

divas

Post by divas » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:24 am

wizardofos wrote:I'm told that some training sessions have only been attended by half a dozen players.
It certainly looks that way with a general lack of cohesion and a plan as well as what looks to be poor fitness levels. I’ve heard comments saying the players we’ve signed are individuals rather than a team but all players are individuals and it’s up to the manager to shape them into a team.

Having said that, I expect training was better attended at Nuneaton given the players were local and they looked to have the same issues we’ve got. Sadly neither TW or the team he’s assembled seem to have progressed and improved, if anything it’s going back over.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:33 am

It's very clear that there are many things radically wrong with lots of aspects of TW's managerial reign. The players who left us were right in their assessment, it wasn't just sour grapes.

divas

Post by divas » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:47 am

I don’t think it’s as black and white as that - for some of the outgoing players it definitely was sour grapes

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:04 am

They pretty much said the man management, leadership, coaching and tactics were flawed. Looks bang on if you ask me. Similar comments were made by fans at Nuneaton.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:06 am

LoidLucan wrote:It's very clear that there are many things radically wrong with lots of aspects of TW's managerial reign. The players who left us were right in their assessment, it wasn't just sour grapes.
If TW is to stay on, the only way out of this mess is to somehow try and move players on and replace them and hopefully finish the season strongly albeit midtable.Very difficult we know as Tommy is close to most of his signings but this is the ugly side of management and has to be done somehow.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:09 am

LoidLucan wrote:They pretty much said the man management, leadership, coaching and tactics were flawed. Looks bang on if you ask me. Similar comments were made by fans at Nuneaton.
Jesus, is that all !!.Alan White has also to come under the microscope sadly.

divas

Post by divas » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:14 am

LoidLucan wrote:They pretty much said the man management, leadership, coaching and tactics were flawed. Looks bang on if you ask me. Similar comments were made by fans at Nuneaton.
All I’m saying is that there are one or two players under contract who simply had to go who were maybe manoeuvred out in a way that they didn’t like which led to some I’ll feeling but in those cases it was definitely the best decision for the football club

divas

Post by divas » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:16 am

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Jesus, is that all !!.Alan White has also to come under the microscope sadly.

I was all for Alan White coming in as number two but in hindsight you wonder given TW is fairly inexperienced whether a more experienced right hand man would have been of benefit. Whether TW would/could have worked alongside someone like that is another matter entirely

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:18 am

I've wondered the same about the lack of experience in our management team

divas

Post by divas » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:19 am

tdk1 wrote:I've wondered the same about the lack of experience in our management team
Having said that, Cowan and Trainer at Telford are 36 and 37 respectively. Bower and Boshell at BPA are of a similar age.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:31 am

Also true. But I think it's different strokes for different folks. Maybe they don't need additional experience, and Wright does.

I know a wee bit more about Cowan than bower, from living down here in Shropshire and he strikes me as incredibly driven, and with a lot of clarity of thought. I know Wright wants to succeed, but I don't get a sense that he has that tireless drive in quite the same way,and he certainly doesn't have the same clear vision for what he wants his team to be.

The idea that players aren't attending training is an alarming one, if true. It would help account for a lot of things, but surely it's in their contracts that they should attend work when required?

I also don't know what badges tw holds. Does he have ideas to improve training? I know it sounds a bit procedural, but it's important nowadays.

carlodarlo

Post by carlodarlo » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:33 am

There should be no excuse for any player that is fit enough to train to not attend. I haven't even heard of that happening in the northern league. I remember watching a pre season interview after the first training session and it was mentioned that styche had took the lads to one side and did some work without the managers and they were happy with that. I'm sorry but that's just not on and tells me there is no session plan if a player can just do that. No surprise we came into the season looking unfit and unorganised and I haven't seen any improvement in that whatsoever. Did anyone attend the open training session we had? If so what did the players do?

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:49 pm

Fortunately I missed the first 35 minutes of last night's game, but I still paid my tenner to get in. We were poor, but Telford are a pretty good team and played some excellent stuff. Sometimes we criticise our team, when we should give credit to the opposition instead. Thommo is a shadow of what he was last season and overall we never looked like scoring, despite some pressure at the end.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:27 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:but I still paid my tenner to get in.
Did you expect discount Pete :shock:
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:54 pm

If it was so easy to get rid of players under contract, don't you think the likes of Caton and Collins would have been long gone. It is likes of them who are handicapping the club by not tearing up their contracts. We cannot afford parasitic passengers at this stage as results are now telling us. Cup defeat could work for us in the long term on the pitch, even though our bank manager must be gutted.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:02 pm

Parasitic is a bit harsh. They signed the contracts they were offered. They have been frozen out. Why should they walk away for nothing?

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:05 pm

I really think Caton should be back in the fold, given what we have been naming as a bench at some points.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:00 pm

What was the minutes silence for, does anyone know?
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:03 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:What was the minutes silence for, does anyone know?
Ex goalkeeper Gordon Morritt.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:02 am

Our hopes for the season.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:20 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:but I still paid my tenner to get in.
Did you expect discount Pete :shock:
No of course not, but not many of even our diehard fans would of paid a tenner for not much more than a half of football, given our form at the moment.

SFG

Post by SFG » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:39 am

Free date on Saturday 15th December? Possibly play the outstanding Chorley away fixture?

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:47 am

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:Parasitic is a bit harsh. They signed the contracts they were offered. They have been frozen out. Why should they walk away for nothing?
Bit harsh, agreed, but accurate insofar as they are organisms obtaining nourishment and protection from another organism without giving anything in return.
Why should they be paid if not fulfilling their part of the contract e.g. Playing/squad training?

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:08 pm

Because they must have been told they don't have to, otherwise they would be in breach of contract and we wouldn't have to pay them. Isn't Collins injured anyway?

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:39 pm

If that is the case, then fair enough. Just no 'safe' communications from the club about what is going on. Given that we are a fans-owned club, would like some definitive statements from management.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:00 pm

jjljks wrote:If that is the case, then fair enough. Just no 'safe' communications from the club about what is going on. Given that we are a fans-owned club, would like some definitive statements from management.
You’ve gone and done it now :o

Once you mention anything at all about being a fans owned club and wanting to know anything at all about anything - a whole ton of people come out of the woodwork and accuse you of being a high maintenance micro manager who will later insist on knowing how many packets of crisps were sold last Saturday at the Hereford game.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:23 pm

So Tommy Shi ... Wright wants to be loyal ? I think he's lost it with his team now. Slagging off the players is too easy and very unfair, they need to respect a manager, they must think he's a berk but he knows we're stuck with him. A negative set-up and it shows on the field.
If football managers were cars TW would be a Ford 'Fiasco' - oh for a new MG 'Contrite' model.

QuakerPete

Post by QuakerPete » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:36 pm

tdk1 wrote:Also true. But I think it's different strokes for different folks. Maybe they don't need additional experience, and Wright does.

I know a wee bit more about Cowan than bower, from living down here in Shropshire and he strikes me as incredibly driven, and with a lot of clarity of thought. I know Wright wants to succeed, but I don't get a sense that he has that tireless drive in quite the same way,and he certainly doesn't have the same clear vision for what he wants his team to be.

The idea that players aren't attending training is an alarming one, if true. It would help account for a lot of things, but surely it's in their contracts that they should attend work when required?

I also don't know what badges tw holds. Does he have ideas to improve training? I know it sounds a bit procedural, but it's important nowadays.
Bit surprised if some players aren't attending training as Alan White confirmed at a fans' forum that no-one was allowed to miss these sessions.