Resignation...

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

theoriginalfatcat
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Resignation...

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:29 pm

Darlo got a mention on MOTD2 the day before yesterday.

Eddie Howe’s first match in charge was a defeat by us!
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

TDS

Post by TDS » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:22 pm

LoidLucan wrote:It would be a sad and bad day for this club if a robust and fair discussion of something so central to its future health was to be curtailed. I haven't seen posters resorting to outright abuse of people at the club. In general people have been measured and questioning, using stats as well as opinions in the debate, just the way it should be.
Nobody is saying we can't have a healthy debate, however it has a few times become slightly more than that over the past few days by one or two.
LoidLucan wrote: Yet again the defence of TW seems to be centred around "No-one will want the job" not "He's the best man for the job and can turn it around because of X, Y and Z." I'm not going to go round the houses again in repeating arguments and causes of our current malaise but I don't see any evidence that the management can fix this disintegrating season. I've never seen anyone put a powerful argument to convince anyone that is the case. Only that it could be costly and difficult to do something about it.
I think the main take-away from what people are saying is, it costs us money and leaves us bang where we are anyway. Think of it the other way, "Tommy sell Styche", "OK Sold". "Hi Tommy, you are fired". It's just not where the board are at currently, frustrated yes, but I'd be very surprised if it's actually being considered at this stage.
LoidLucan wrote: Nobody has called for an ex-player to get the job when you say "What does a 34-year-old player know about budgets?" He was only mentioned as a possible prospect for some stage in the future and no-one suggested otherwise apart from you in the way you raised it.
I've seen people trying to pick somebody from TW's squad to take over temporarily! I mean, let's just take a step back and understand that the expectations require readjusting ever so slightly, we are absolutely in the League we can afford to be in.
LoidLucan wrote: Togetherness as fans doesn't mean you can't raise concerns and debate it when you think things are fundamentally wrong. I don't hurl abuse at players, club officials and managers but it's only right that fans question major issues surrounding their club. Otherwise I might as well just join the increasing numbers of former Darlo fans who don't care and have found something else to do on a Saturday afternoon because things are becoming so dire. Christ it would be a lot easier on my pocket... and sanity.
As I've witnessed and felt myself, the frustration and disappointment is there. It's not as if we've a tight Chairman upstairs though, we are finally being financially accountable on the pitch and that is just something we've got to get used to, after 3 years of rolling the dice.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:55 pm

Seen one or two comments about TW which someone then apologised for. The debate on here has been fair and reasonable. There's bound to be robust discussion on here and nothing wrong with that.

The board may well not be at that point yet over TW but you'd be hard pressed to find fans who are happy with the job he is doing. Faith and support has drained away on the terraces. If TW can't show he can sort this out and take the club forward the pressure for action will only intensify. The fear is that do nothing and we may well not be "bang where we are anyway." The Evo Stik will be a very real possibility in front of a dwindling number of fans as TW is showing that he can't win (enough) matches.

This disintegrating season and abject failure in the cups (again), which could have helped ease the burden, is down to something deeper in the way the team is led and run rather than some inevitable consequence of living within our means. We could and should be so much better with the budget and personnel.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:43 pm

loan_star wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:Gray and Wright's individual behaviour was exactly the same. They both resigned without telling their employers, in order to take a job at a bigger club. They both left their employers in a mess. But Wright did it less than a day before the game.

Yes Darlington and York reacted differently. But I'm talking about the individual managers' behaviour here. If you can't understand that, then you're very, very thick.

I suspect you do understand it, but you can't accept it because it suggests both Wright and Darlo weren't brilliant in their behaviour (We must have been talking to Wright without Nuneaton's permission, for him to have quit knowing he'd get the job. Wright wouldn't have resigned otherwise).
How do you resign without telling your employer???
So Gray resigns and walks straight into the York job, obviously having been spoken to off the record before quitting. Wright resigns to take a job his employer knew he was interviewed for and although he was expected to stay at Nuneaton he decided late in the week to take the job.
So you think both situations are the same? Yet you accuse me of being thick? :roll:
I didn't say you were thick. I said if you couldn't understand the difference between a club's behaviour and a manager's behaviour, then you were thick. Nuance is seemingly beyond you.

Do you seriously believe Wright wasn't speaking to us after he told his club he was staying? He was speaking to us behind his employer's back (just like Gray). Then fires off a text to his chairman (who was abroad) and walks out hours before a game. Hopped in his car before Nuneaton could respond. They certainly didn't give permission.

He wasn't "expected" to stay. He publicly said he was remaining at Nuneaton. And then he dropped them in it without their permission.

All the same as how Gray went on.

As for Hardy, I know from someone inside Whitby Town FC the deal was going to be finalised on the Monday. There was no 2+2 =5. It was happening.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:19 pm

I've heard both - that Hardy was to be our next manager (someone from within Whitby told me this on the Friday, said he was going to take charge of the Whitby match on the Saturday first. Seems this person contacted a lot of people...), but also that Hardy was never overly interested, that it was all "informal" (from previously bang on Darlo sources)

Who to believe? I'll go with my regular sources until Hardy himself pipes up in public and confirms the former.

If the Whitby source is right and Hardy was due to take over and was then dropped for Wright, then I think there will be zero chance of Hardy throwing his hat in the ring whenever the next Darlo job comes up.

If the Darlo sources are right in that Hardy was never overly keen, then it's probably unlikely he will be much keener in future.

I think we can write Mr Hardy off as a potential future manager, anyway.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:44 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
loan_star wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:Gray and Wright's individual behaviour was exactly the same. They both resigned without telling their employers, in order to take a job at a bigger club. They both left their employers in a mess. But Wright did it less than a day before the game.

Yes Darlington and York reacted differently. But I'm talking about the individual managers' behaviour here. If you can't understand that, then you're very, very thick.

I suspect you do understand it, but you can't accept it because it suggests both Wright and Darlo weren't brilliant in their behaviour (We must have been talking to Wright without Nuneaton's permission, for him to have quit knowing he'd get the job. Wright wouldn't have resigned otherwise).
How do you resign without telling your employer???
So Gray resigns and walks straight into the York job, obviously having been spoken to off the record before quitting. Wright resigns to take a job his employer knew he was interviewed for and although he was expected to stay at Nuneaton he decided late in the week to take the job.
So you think both situations are the same? Yet you accuse me of being thick? :roll:
I didn't say you were thick. I said if you couldn't understand the difference between a club's behaviour and a manager's behaviour, then you were thick. Nuance is seemingly beyond you.

Do you seriously believe Wright wasn't speaking to us after he told his club he was staying? He was speaking to us behind his employer's back (just like Gray). Then fires off a text to his chairman (who was abroad) and walks out hours before a game. Hopped in his car before Nuneaton could respond. They certainly didn't give permission.

He wasn't "expected" to stay. He publicly said he was remaining at Nuneaton. And then he dropped them in it without their permission.

All the same as how Gray went on.

As for Hardy, I know from someone inside Whitby Town FC the deal was going to be finalised on the Monday. There was no 2+2 =5. It was happening.
We will just have to agree to disagree. I stand by my viewpoint on the Gray/Wright situation. Nuneaton knew he was in talks and last time I checked people have the freedom to change their mind so Wright was more than entitled to change his over the move to us.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:17 pm

Wonder how long it will be before Hignett & Bates suddenly become available for consideration?
I would stick with TW & AW, even if the Poolie pair get the boot from Raj Singh who has probably got MG on speed dial.... ;)

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:24 pm

jjljks wrote:Wonder how long it will be before Hignett & Bates suddenly become available for consideration?
I would stick with TW & AW, even if the Poolie pair get the boot from Raj Singh who has probably got MG on speed dial.... ;)
Singh won’t need Gray any more. He wanted his way into a local club and he’s sorted now.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:38 am

TDS wrote: Gramps - you must concede Tommy is a nice chap compared to what we are used to, which was the most boring, stroppy pre/post match interviews I've ever heard, and we had that for years and years. Once the football turned, there was no reason to put up with the cold face of Martin Gray glaring at Ray like he'd shat on his front room carpet.
Pre/post-match interviews are friendly territory for TW. It's interviews with the club website which are hardly going to be testing or overly difficult. You can't judge whether someone is "a nice chap" on that basis. Dropping your club in the s*** hours before a game and resigning by text when the chairman is out of the country on the other hand isn't the behaviour of a nice fellow.

And anyway, is TW really that much friendlier in post-match than other managers? Let's not pretend MG was the rule, he was an exception. A narky, sulky, unnecessarily rude and difficult exception. But just because TW isn't MG, doesn't mean he's all sweetness and light.

Give me a narky, sulky, difficult and rude manager who'll win games, over a nice but useless manager any day of the week.
loan_star wrote: We will just have to agree to disagree. I stand by my viewpoint on the Gray/Wright situation. Nuneaton knew he was in talks and last time I checked people have the freedom to change their mind so Wright was more than entitled to change his over the move to us.
Fair enough, and absolutely TW is entitled to change his mind. But he's not entitled though to go behind Nuneaton's back after committing himself to them, and resign via text with the chairman out of the country less than 24 hours before a game. That's woeful behaviour, and almost a carbon copy of how MG departed from us (going behind his employer's back, speaking to another club and then dropping them in a heap of trouble).

But yes, let's agree to disagree.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:18 am

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
LoidLucan wrote:And that is?
Not Armstrong, McGurk or Hardy.

TW had the balls to take it on, despite the upcoming budgets cuts that he will have been made aware of at interview.

Not that it's exactly worked out for him or us, of course

What I mean really about balls is that as a starting point you have to at least appoint a manager who fancies the job.

TW was probably the best option available of those that really wanted to give it a go.

This does not bode well for us going forwards, if we move him on. And I say that not in his defence, because my opinion is that his time is pretty much up.
Some people state that we cannot afford to off load TW&AW but if you look at it financially what are the problems if we don't.

Despite the advertising revenue up, Crowds are down but also how many paying monthly direct debits to the club have dropped out due to the situation. Only the directors know when income falls against expenditure that TW time is definitely up.
A new manager could revive the crowds and get people to resume contributing to boost the budget etc.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:12 am

eddie-rowles wrote: also how many paying monthly direct debits to the club have dropped out due to the situation.
It's a fair point - my initial reaction on reading you mention this was that it would be out of order for those who have pledged towards the budget to withdraw that pledge mid-season.

However, we pledged on the basis that what we were putting in gave TW a play-off challenging budget. My understanding was that was something clear he could be held to account over.

If he's not held to account and it's clear the play-offs are out of reach, why should we continue to fund the squad that isn't as good as he said it would be?

I'm not suggesting we leave the club, or the players, in the s*** and short on cash - we're not a collective Raj Singh. But there comes a point where someone has to be accountable for missed targets and broken promises.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:38 am

Just even a tiny bit of help for the fans on the cup front could have made all the difference. But we're now consistently following the same route on that front as under MG. He clearly wasn't that arsed about the cups because his priorities lay elsewhere. TW stated that he knew what a big priority it was for us and how vital it was, especially so as we are now largely failing in the league, particularly at home where it matters most in terms of finance.

QuakerPete

Post by QuakerPete » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:46 am

Spyman wrote:
eddie-rowles wrote: also how many paying monthly direct debits to the club have dropped out due to the situation.
It's a fair point - my initial reaction on reading you mention this was that it would be out of order for those who have pledged towards the budget to withdraw that pledge mid-season.

However, we pledged on the basis that what we were putting in gave TW a play-off challenging budget. My understanding was that was something clear he could be held to account over.

If he's not held to account and it's clear the play-offs are out of reach, why should we continue to fund the squad that isn't as good as he said it would be?

I'm not suggesting we leave the club, or the players, in the s*** and short on cash - we're not a collective Raj Singh. But there comes a point where someone has to be accountable for missed targets and broken promises.
Not sure what you mean by broken promises, hardly anything can be promised in the world of football. Who says he isn’t being held to account by the club’s directors? They, more than anyone, will be acutely aware of the club’s financials and fans’ concerns.
If fans stop their promised contributions, then they make the situation at the club much worse financially and squad-wise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:59 am

I considered, in the aftermath of Friday, cancelling my BtB contribution. An extra £15 a month for the utter shambles of this season so far? I've got better things to spend my money on than that.

But after calming down slightly I thought better of it - it will only harm the club, which nobody wants. If things carry on as they are though, BtB will be a much harder sell next season - no BtB equals a relegation battle, but so does 85k BtB, so what's the point?!

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:09 am

QuakerPete wrote:
Spyman wrote:

Not sure what you mean by broken promises, hardly anything can be promised in the world of football. Who says he isn’t being held to account by the club’s directors? They, more than anyone, will be acutely aware of the club’s financials and fans’ concerns.
If fans stop their promised contributions, then they make the situation at the club much worse financially and squad-wise

Fair point - promises was the wrong word to use, however it's not looking like we'll be just off the pace or hampered by bad luck costing us a couple of vital points. This is looking like abject failure to achieve what was set out.

Ultimately though if the board are going to repeat the call for BtB next summer they'll have much more support from the fans if there's some consequences when a manager doesn't deliver what they say they can.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:35 am

I don't think fans expect some kind of guarantee of success if they tip up hard-earned cash. But it is about trust. They need to have a level of confidence and trust in the man in charge of the team. There is a major problem if they lose that faith.

SwansQuaker83
Team Supported: Swansea (and Darlo of course)

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:13 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:I've heard both - that Hardy was to be our next manager (someone from within Whitby told me this on the Friday, said he was going to take charge of the Whitby match on the Saturday first. Seems this person contacted a lot of people...), but also that Hardy was never overly interested, that it was all "informal" (from previously bang on Darlo sources)

Who to believe? I'll go with my regular sources until Hardy himself pipes up in public and confirms the former.

If the Whitby source is right and Hardy was due to take over and was then dropped for Wright, then I think there will be zero chance of Hardy throwing his hat in the ring whenever the next Darlo job comes up.

If the Darlo sources are right in that Hardy was never overly keen, then it's probably unlikely he will be much keener in future.

I think we can write Mr Hardy off as a potential future manager, anyway.
The person who told me had nothing to do with Whitby Town FC so it won't be the same person.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:10 pm

One thing's for sure, if we don't get a win against Nuneaton a week on Saturday this bad situation will get a whole lot worse.

I read Stod's match report in the Echo, a fair reflection on the match and a worrying read for anyone who has an interest!
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

SwansQuaker83
Team Supported: Swansea (and Darlo of course)

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:21 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:One thing's for sure, if we don't get a win against Nuneaton a week on Saturday this bad situation will get a whole lot worse.

I read Stod's match report in the Echo, a fair reflection on the match and a worrying read for anyone who has an interest!
if we lose to Nuneaton, even the most deluded chairman couldn't defend Wright any longer...

shildonlad
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gateshead

Post by shildonlad » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:11 pm

A local guy has just become available, mathew bates has left hartlepool

I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:23 pm

The MG is already fired up and headed towards Hangerland :D

H1987

Post by H1987 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:22 pm

There's no way Bates is cut out to take on our job. I'd rather have someone who is used to working with, and getting the best out of semi pros, than have to take a guy who has been working with full timers.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:34 pm

He'll probably end up in the Boro Academy in some capacity. I still remember Bates when he came to us on loan for a short spell and was superb. I think he went back to Boro and got himself in the first team. His playing career was blighted by serious knee injuries, loads of them, and he did incredibly well to keep bouncing back.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:36 pm

Going back to our capitulation v Telford I can't help but think that the players might have stuff on their minds which is making them under perform, and it might not necessarily down to TW.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:22 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:Going back to our capitulation v Telford I can't help but think that the players might have stuff on their minds which is making them under perform, and it might not necessarily down to TW.
What stuff? Can you elaborate please.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:29 pm

Darlopartisan wrote:
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:Going back to our capitulation v Telford I can't help but think that the players might have stuff on their minds which is making them under perform, and it might not necessarily down to TW.
What stuff? Can you elaborate please.
Come on Quakerz, I mean Ghost - spill the beans, or at least offer up a cryptic clue.

Are they worried that Father Christmas won't turn up?
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:32 pm

Just a gut feeling boys.

In the mean time, let's all keep on blaming the manager.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:35 pm

Is it Brexit?

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:36 pm

Looked to me like the same affliction that surfaced during the opening game against Curzon and has re-appeared consistenly ever since.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:38 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:Is it Brexit?
Is it Twexit?

Any issues that may or may not exist would probably be made better by putting in a good team performance, you know like winning a game of football.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!