Resignation...

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Ghost_Of_1883
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Resignation...

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:40 pm

I wish we could fucking BMexit

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:45 pm

Are you suggesting it costs a bomb, we get nowt back and have no control :D

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:50 pm

Dial A for the Arena.

And B for Brodie seeing as though we have hardly any strikers.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:56 pm

That's enough now... i dont mind the odd fat, wayward headbanger leading the line but he's a step too far :D

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:11 pm

We could go back to Heritage Park if we go down.............

Jokey joke.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:05 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:Just a gut feeling boys.

In the mean time, let's all keep on blaming the manager.
Things do feel a bit creaky, no doubt, but it doesn't make Wright any less culpable for the on pitch s*** show.

What's really surprising is that there is no great outpouring of support for him despite the unbeaten run we had been on. I think it shows people have seen underlying problems even when we weren't being beaten.

en passant

Post by en passant » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:52 pm

tdk1 wrote:

Things do feel a bit creaky, no doubt, but it doesn't make Wright any less culpable for the on pitch s*** show.

What's really surprising is that there is no great outpouring of support for him despite the unbeaten run we had been on. I think it shows people have seen underlying problems even when we weren't being beaten.
Or it could be that a group of posters on here have got their knickers in a twist and have been searching the internet for a Black Friday deal on pitchforks. Friday's defeat in the cup has certainly brought out a concerted effort to undermine the manager and now seems to have progressed onto a plan to damage the club's finances by suggesting that some might withdraw their pledged contributions.

I'm not overlooking the oft quoted stats that show that TW's reign has been less than glorious, but I for one feel very uncomfortable about the witch hunt atmosphere that some folks on here seem happy to be stoking up. They have gone beyond talking over the possibility of needing a fresh managerial direction to having already decided who will replace Wright and weighing up the finances a new manager might be able to call on. Might I say that I thought that being a supporter of a football club does require a greater amount of fortitude than I've recently seen on here, and whilst I'm fairly confident that I will have plenty of negative reaction to this post, I for one would happy to provide a little brake on the view given above that the headlong move to oust TW is the only view on the terraces.

notgnilrad

Post by notgnilrad » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:07 pm

en passant wrote:
tdk1 wrote:

Or it could be that a group of posters on here have got their knickers in a twist and have been searching the internet for a Black Friday deal on pitchforks. Friday's defeat in the cup has certainly brought out a concerted effort to undermine the manager and now seems to have progressed onto a plan to damage the club's finances by suggesting that some might withdraw their pledged contributions.

I'm not overlooking the oft quoted stats that show that TW's reign has been less than glorious, but I for one feel very uncomfortable about the witch hunt atmosphere that some folks on here seem happy to be stoking up. They have gone beyond talking over the possibility of needing a fresh managerial direction to having already decided who will replace Wright and weighing up the finances a new manager might be able to call on. Might I say that I thought that being a supporter of a football club does require a greater amount of fortitude than I've recently seen on here, and whilst I'm fairly confident that I will have plenty of negative reaction to this post, I for one would happy to provide a little brake on the view given above that the headlong move to oust TW is the only view on the terraces.

If I were a manager I wouldnt touch this club with a bargepole, Wright hasnt even had a full season yet with his own squad. We have gone on a six match unbeaten run ok been knocked out of both cups but so did Martin Gray every year.

I think he should be given till after Xmas and New Year if things are lookin bleak and we are in relegation places then the board should think about what to do next on whats best for the club.

We as fans have to trust the manager we will have ups and downs but we have to stick together because if we keep sacking managers because we are not in the play-offs we will go through a lot of them.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:47 pm

Chesterfield are on their longest ever unbeaten run. It's not serving them too well

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:50 pm

en passant wrote:
tdk1 wrote:

I was being sarcastic when I said "meanwhile let's keep blaming the manager" My gut (it's big enough these days) is worrying that all is not well...

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:55 pm

Get your gut to post a bit more detail on here - guaranteed to help it feel easier.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

shildonlad
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gateshead

Post by shildonlad » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:56 pm

Spyman wrote:Chesterfield are on their longest ever unbeaten run. It's not serving them too well

Too many draws god knows what going wrong there, shame as i know a dew of there fans

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:58 pm

A Shildon lad from Luton, who supports Newcastle and watches Gateshead, knows Chesterfield fans, and posts on a Darlo board.

notgnilrad

Post by notgnilrad » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:11 pm

Spyman wrote:Chesterfield are on their longest ever unbeaten run. It's not serving them too well

So how are they going to get better if they dont start having an unbeaten run thats stupid, should they lose ever game that might serve them better. :crazy:

en passant

Post by en passant » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:28 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
en passant wrote:
tdk1 wrote:

I was being sarcastic when I said "meanwhile let's keep blaming the manager" My gut (it's big enough these days) is worrying that all is not well...
Yes, I did get that, and my comments weren't directed at your post but rather the circling sharks that have found TW too far from shore without a surfboard to cling onto.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:53 pm

To be honest people questioning TW isn’t really a problem in itself, he knows he isn’t immune from that - it is a results business after all and he know that is what he will be judged on. I still think the quality is there in our squad to keep us up but there is some back to basics needed to grind out some wins to make it more comfortable.

We are clearly not flush with cash so reinforcements aren’t going to be bought. The offer of loans seems an odd one to turn down - if they are of the necessary quality that is and not just kids who they want to try and toughen up a bit.

Those questioning why did we sign Ainge - wasn’t he the leagues top scorer last season - or at least very close? His record and his highlights reel made him a surprise signing for me never mind anything else.

Are Whitby and Blyth even doing that great anymore? Aren’t we only 3 points behind Blyth in the table and Whitby are bottom have of the division below?

I thought Darren Kelly was flying with Hyde as well but that seems to have abruptly stopped. Michael Clegg at Atherton Collieries or Cunningham at Colne are probably the most overachieving manager in northern non-League football at the moment. I don’t think any of them have necessary proven themselves to be able to overachieve in NLN though.

The point is - if not TW then who. He is the best man for the job if he is the best of what is available, who are in our price range and who want the job ultimately. I can’t honestly say who the next best alternative is.
Last edited by lo36789 on Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

shildonlad
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gateshead

Resignation...

Post by shildonlad » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:14 am

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:A Shildon lad from Luton, who supports Newcastle and watches Gateshead, knows Chesterfield fans, and posts on a Darlo board.
Not lived in luton for a few year just cant change my location on this board. I live chesterfield now hence why i know a few fans. And yes the north east non league team i watch when i can can is gateshead i was born there. Hope that answers your queries

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

spen666

Post by spen666 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:10 am

lo36789 wrote:...?

Are Whitby and Blyth even doing that great anymore? Aren’t we only 3 points behind Blyth in the table and Whitby are bottom have of the division below?

Whitby are 12th in NPL Premier Division, well clear of the relegation zone this season

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:43 am

Hartlepool lose 6 on the bounce and sack their manager

We are unbeaten in 6 (in the League) and some supporters want us to sack our manager
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:13 am

Excluding his time as caretaker manager, Bates had a win ratio at Hartlepool of 29.2%.

In 46 league and Cup games at Darlington TW has won 13... 28.2% win ratio.

This season TW has won 4 out of 19 League and Cup games .... 21% win ratio.

The stats route is not a good one to go down with TW, short or long-term.
Last edited by LoidLucan on Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:51 am

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:Hartlepool lose 6 on the bounce and sack their manager

We are unbeaten in 6 (in the League) and some supporters want us to sack our manager
I would say there are only a few on this thread who want T.W. sacked - but things are tough for him at the moment.

Personally I would like to see him acquire more help, a couple of new players and a bit more time. Also some kind of communication from the top wouldn't be a bad thing.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:00 am

To be fair, Bates has lost 6 in the last 7, and they want promotion. It's not the overall record that has got Bates the sack, it's the incredibly poor recent run under a chairman famed for kneejerk reactions.

TW hasn't lost 6 in the last 7, not near. Neither have we got a kneejerk chairman pumping money in and demanding instant results.

I'm not saying TW's overall record is good enough. It isn't. Though it must be remembered that he lost 8 in his first 10 which still has a big impact on his overall record.

I don't think things are going to get better under TW really, every thing has a certain air of predictability about it now. But I still think you're comparing apples and oranges, when you're comparing TW and MB

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:12 am

I didnt introduce the comparison but the stats especially long term are the best way of assessing how a manager has done. Managers know they stand or fall by them. The rest of the stuff around whether they can lead, motivate and organise is based on opinions from what we see on the pitch. I just stated the stats but i know some people find it unpalatable to have to look at them.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:28 am

LoidLucan wrote:I didnt introduce the comparison but the stats especially long term are the best way of assessing how a manager has done. Managers know they stand or fall by them. The rest of the stuff around whether they can lead, motivate and organise is based on opinions from what we see on the pitch. I just stated the stats but i know some people find it unpalatable to have to look at them.
Long term stats are a good way of comparing anything, including managers, I agree.

I've lost faith that we're going to go on a good winning run any time soon - the failure to collect wins against shxt like Leamington, Hereford, Guiseley etc has put paid to that.

So it's not like I'm finding facts unpalatable.

Yes I know that you didn't bring up the point about Bates being sacked on his last 6 results and our last 6 results being better yet still some want TW sacked...But you did bring up the overall comparison in response to that claim - however that claim is a fair one because it's pretty obvious that MB has been sacked on recent form not his overall record.
Last edited by Ghost_Of_1883 on Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:31 am

And hopefully because MG is being lined up!

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:31 am

It's the home form more than anything else - this is where most fans see their team play, and it gets you down.

It reminds me of the Mick Tait days at the Arena, he did his best with an under strength team and kept us going but it got tedious. I think it was 17 draws in one season.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

en passant

Post by en passant » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:39 am

LoidLucan wrote:I didnt introduce the comparison but the stats especially long term are the best way of assessing how a manager has done. Managers know they stand or fall by them. The rest of the stuff around whether they can lead, motivate and organise is based on opinions from what we see on the pitch. I just stated the stats but i know some people find it unpalatable to have to look at them.
As was once said, "there are lies, damn lies, and statistics". Taking the overall record and comparing it a recently sacked manager seems to justify the view that our manager should be on the brink as well. Take out his bedding in period a year ago when things were on the slide way before he arrived and you can get a rather more attractive picture. Recent stats, the last 6 league games, also suggest a more moderate approach to TW's current standing. So, as with any stats, you can often find enough in them to justify any argument you wish to promote. The selection of what is considered to be a relevant stat says as much about the people quoting them and their agenda as it does about any latent "truth" to be found in them. I haven't checked but I'm guessing if you used all the stats available on all the football played by Darlo you would end up with a pretty unimpressive figure, so on that basis you could justify just giving up support and closing the club down.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:49 am

Long term stats are clearly the best indicators and that's all i have presented. They are not used selectively, twisted or doctored. It shows this season so far and TW's record since he arrived. Seems simple enough to me.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:52 pm

LoidLucan wrote:Long term stats are clearly the best indicators and that's all i have presented. They are not used selectively, twisted or doctored. It shows this season so far and TW's record since he arrived. Seems simple enough to me.
Seems the only people trying to twist and massage stats are those in this thread arguing for him to stay.

Apparently his first three months conveniently don't count because it wasn't his team. Well what about Neil Reynolds at FC United? They were a much bigger basketcase than we were when Wright took over, yet he had an immediate impact.

Wright is culpable for the opening three months of his reign. He picked the team, decided the tactics and prepared the squad. He was responsible, regardless of any hangover from Gray's era.

But look beyond the stats, look at how we played v Telford, Altrincham, Stockport and many others. Wright is failing to generate any sort of consistency. Given the expectation he set in the summer, he's underachieving. It's not unreasonable to ask if someone with a better record could get more out of the team.

En Passant, there is no grand conspiracy to undermine Wright. More a feeling that we should be doing better, and there's nothing in Wright's managerial record so far that suggests we'll improve under him. And if that's the case, why keep him? We've not seen any plausible arguments for keeping Wright on the basis of his ability.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:39 pm

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:Hartlepool lose 6 on the bounce and sack their manager

Depends how you spin it. We're four without a win in the league also. Chesterfield are on one of their best unbeaten runs in years, yet they've drawn so many and have dropped into the relegation zone.

Performances are a better indicator and our most recent performances (Telford, Guiseley and Hereford) have been generally underwhelming.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY