Dave Syers gone

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

PierremontQuaker03
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Dave Syers gone

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:33 pm

Collins isn't gone is he - we will be paying him to the end of the season.

I would imagine our two highest paid players are Caton and Collins as they were part of the previous regime.

I suppose we can do what York have done and get 3 players on loan very quickly - in some respects it is good not having a huge squad like some teams as it is throwing money down the toilet but we seem to get going to far the other way.

I do think there does need to be some sort of statement to explain our current situation. Other managers would have walked as TW has now very little to work with, he has had the rug well and truly pulled from under him.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:36 pm

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:Collins isn't gone is he - we will be paying him to the end of the season.

I would imagine our two highest paid players are Caton and Collins as they were part of the previous regime.

I suppose we can do what York have done and get 3 players on loan very quickly - in some respects it is good not having a huge squad like some teams as it is throwing money down the toilet but we seem to get going to far the other way.

I do think there does need to be some sort of statement to explain our current situation. Other managers would have walked as TW has now very little to work with, he has had the rug well and truly pulled from under him.
Collins has I've just messaged him on Instagram and wished him all the best

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Darlo_CR

Post by Darlo_CR » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:39 pm

Spyman wrote:Styche and Syers - both accountants aren't they?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
I think so although I think Styche was still in the process of getting his qualifications.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:46 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
PierremontQuaker03 wrote:Collins isn't gone is he - we will be paying him to the end of the season.

Collins has I've just messaged him on Instagram and wished him all the best

I assume we paid him off, so a saving long term but it must of cost us , so not sure if that would release enough monies for a another player

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:02 pm

Maybe they knew something
Darlo_CR wrote:
Spyman wrote:Styche and Syers - both accountants aren't they?

I think so although I think Styche was still in the process of getting his qualifications.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:21 pm

[quote="PierremontQuaker03

I do think there does need to be some sort of statement to explain our current situation. Other managers would have walked as TW has now very little to work with, he has had the rug well and truly pulled from under him.[/quote]

The reason Wright has had the rug pulled from under him has been his own doing. Poor 'results, recruitment, tactics and performances equals static/ lower attendances which is only going to get worse over the Christmas period.

Nice bloke but not a manager.

I agree we need some sort of statement from the club. As a fan owned club I thought the days of silence had long gone. Obviously not

Darlo_CR

Post by Darlo_CR » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:41 pm

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:44 pm

quakerste wrote:I agree we need some sort of statement from the club. As a fan owned club I thought the days of silence had long gone. Obviously not
We will obviously get a statement from the club but it doesn’t have to materialise instantly.

Please advise what catastrophic consequences there are on your life from having to wait 24hours or even 72hours for confirmation.

FWIW based on time on the pitch Syers / Collins aren’t exactly ever presents. In terms of pecking order they were always likely to be first out the door to improve the first team - but reality of current attendances (and who knows BtB cancellations) could be we rely on loans for reinforcements.
Last edited by lo36789 on Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darlo2807

Post by Darlo2807 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:47 pm

Stated on the Echo that financial reasons are a factor for the sale of Syers. Something is going seriously wrong financially

en passant

Post by en passant » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:54 pm

Financial considerations again blamed for having to do this. How did we have a budget that was deemed good enough for a play-off spot so quickly collapse into one that may not be enough to keep us up? Given our history of average crowds and poor cup runs, surely these were not set to be relied upon to keep the players we set out with this year? And the timing stinks as well. What will this say to the remaining players? Don't bother, We've given up?

Darlo_CR

Post by Darlo_CR » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:56 pm

Could the reason the loan signings have been shelved be down to the board reviewing the current situation before committing to Wright? Just to add another conspiracy to the mix.

en passant

Post by en passant » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:59 pm

Having thought about it, it may be that this plan was already in the pipeline last week and may help explain the lacklustre performance in the cup.

quakerman

Post by quakerman » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:11 pm

Darlo2807 wrote:Stated on the Echo that financial reasons are a factor for the sale of Syers. Something is going seriously wrong financially
60k rent to the rugby club...they must be killing themselves laughing at us.Who in God’s name agreed to this if true.Crazy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:16 pm

Hope someone sticks in a 'sell-on' clause as O'Hanlon is one of our potential future League players (like Dan Burn). Can empathise with O'Hanlon wanting to avoid the onerous round trip from Telford so Kiddy would be ideal for him, not to mention the duties of being a new dad. Ben has proved he has great potential and we should be getting a good wedge if he goes. Wasn't he one of the three who went on the Academy X factor trials at the end of last season like Tritman and Heaton? All the best, Ben :wave:

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:16 pm

Financial considerations isn't necessarily a bad thing - it means the club are being proactive in managing the finances rather than waiting for admin to be the only option.

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:18 pm

jjljks wrote:Hope someone sticks in a 'sell-on' clause as O'Hanlon is one of our potential future League players (like Dan Burn). Can empathise with O'Hanlon wanting to avoid the onerous round trip from Telford so Kiddy would be ideal for him, not to mention the duties of being a new dad. Ben has proved he has great potential and we should be getting a good wedge if he goes. Wasn't he one of the three who went on the Academy X factor trials at the end of last season like Tritman and Heaton? All the best, Ben :wave:
No, it was Wheatley. He is a good little player, but certainly among those whose travel times are the most bizarre.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:20 pm

quakerman wrote:
Darlo2807 wrote:Stated on the Echo that financial reasons are a factor for the sale of Syers. Something is going seriously wrong financially
60k rent to the rugby club...they must be killing themselves laughing at us.Who in God’s name agreed to this if true.Crazy!

Absolutely! All these accountants on the team and we still put a noose on ourselves like this rent. Suggest we go into a CVA then reform as a phoenix club at the Arena :sick:

Thanks for your correction TDK1, am getting befuddled by all the comings and goings.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:20 pm

Not surprised he's left, as he wasn't getting regular football. At times he could be very good, but the good games weren't very regular, so good decision for the club and Syers.

en passant

Post by en passant » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:21 pm

Having taken sensible moves to increase the potential for building revenue by designing a more professional website, and appointing a commercial manager, who seems to have hit the ground running, you might have expected this to have yielded a plus in the income column, yet we are forced to sell off our assets. Keep this up for a full season and we could end up with the most financially viable non-existent club in the league.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:27 pm

Whether it's the travelling, the injury, or whatever, O'Hanlon's form has nosedived since the days when he first came. However you look at things, it's barmy having a part-time player travelling from Telford for training and games in Darlington. Just not sustainable long term.

wizardofos

Post by wizardofos » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:29 pm

The new Commercial Manager's salary has to be found from somewhere.
In reality, selling all the advertising boards around the ground @ £500 apiece plus a few extra match sponsorships isn't even going to pay a basic wage.
I'm assuming a capable individual is going to want a minimum of £25k a year otherwise they might as well get themselves an HGV licence and earn substantially more.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:30 pm

Proactive financial management is better than a cash call at the end of the season as has happened before. I do wonder how high we expected crowds to be mind, considering we're averaging 1457 in league games, which doesn't strike me as particularly low compared to reasonable expectations (at the moment at least...)

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:34 pm

wizardofos wrote:The new Commercial Manager's salary has to be found from somewhere.
In reality, selling all the advertising boards around the ground @ £500 apiece plus a few extra match sponsorships isn't even going to pay a basic wage.
I'm assuming a capable individual is going to want a minimum of £25k a year otherwise they might as well get themselves an HGV licence and earn substantially more.
Well yeah, I presume there's some kind of plan beyond this. It would take a lot of work to just cover his salary, whatever it may be, with advertising boards alone.

A few things about all this bother me. I certainly approve of financial prudence. But why are we so strapped when our gates are higher and tickets more expensive then others in our league who seem to run bigger squads? The cost of the rent must surely be offset by btb in terms of how it affects our playing budget, plus we surely aren't culpable for upkeep of a ground that we are simply licenced to use, so don't have other overheads some teams do.

QuakerPete

Post by QuakerPete » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:35 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Vodka_Vic wrote:I thought that the paying OTT money had stopped when MG left. Clearly not.
You can't say clearly not when none of us know the exact facts.

What is a fact is that the budget Gray was given was 334k, this has been reduced not increased, and it was only due to the BTB that it was set at approx 250k this year.

I mean I suppose it's possible that we've exceeded that budget, rather than us not having enough money to meet the agreed budget, or maybe both - but unless we get to see the books we don't know for certain.
That’s only if everyone is paying their BTB contributions - weekly or monthly. If not, that’s contributing to any shortfall. Hope it isn’t the case

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:36 pm

From a playing point of view, although Syers was in and out of the team (questionably so in my opinion) he was one of the few experienced players in the squad. Apart from Ainge, Thompson, Galbraith and Hughes, the rest of the players are young. And we're trying to get some kids in on loan so we're certainly not getting more experienced.

50 years

Post by 50 years » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:41 pm

Syres I felt was our best player. Covered virtually every blade of grass against Telford and still looked the most dangerous player. Some one mentioned that Alan W had a go at him during the match and he responded back so may be he has just had enough of being on the bench and clearly not appreciated. Big miss as I really like him in the team. Something not right at the moment and those at the top now need to explain what is going wrong as I am totally confused.

The Golden Hairclip

Post by The Golden Hairclip » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:45 pm

al_quaker wrote:Proactive financial management is better than a cash call at the end of the season as has happened before. I do wonder how high we expected crowds to be mind, considering we're averaging 1457 in league games, which doesn't strike me as particularly low compared to reasonable expectations (at the moment at least...)
Totally agree. We need to balance the budget in a responsible manner. With regards to crowds, even a reduction of 100 adults per match is a loss of £29,400. That’s big hole to fill.

Things haven’t worked out on the pitch this season so I’m fully behind the board’s approach. We need a to consolidate and carry out prudent financial management so that we press the reset button in the summer.

Can’t believe people are quoting Raj Singh. You do realise that he overspent and then put us into administration. He left us high and dry. It’s only a matter of time before he does the same at Hartlepool.

100% behind Tommy and Alan. They’ll learn from this experience and come out the other side stronger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:54 pm

50 years wrote:Syres I felt was our best player. Covered virtually every blade of grass against Telford and still looked the most dangerous player. Some one mentioned that Alan W had a go at him during the match and he responded back so may be he has just had enough of being on the bench and clearly not appreciated. Big miss as I really like him in the team. Something not right at the moment and those at the top now need to explain what is going wrong as I am totally confused.
Syers didn’t have a good game last Friday night, he cocked up passes, fumbled opportunities and generally looked out of sorts.

The rest of your post I agree with, especially about the lack of communication coming from the club - which is surprising after all we’ve been through over the last few years.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:03 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
50 years wrote:Syres I felt was our best player. Covered virtually every blade of grass against Telford and still looked the most dangerous player. Some one mentioned that Alan W had a go at him during the match and he responded back so may be he has just had enough of being on the bench and clearly not appreciated. Big miss as I really like him in the team. Something not right at the moment and those at the top now need to explain what is going wrong as I am totally confused.
Syers didn’t have a good game last Friday night, he cocked up passes, fumbled opportunities and generally looked out of sorts.

The rest of your post I agree with, especially about the lack of communication coming from the club - which is surprising after all we’ve been through over the last few years.
And he deserves to go because of one game .. Give it a rest FFS

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:29 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:

He was hardly alone last Friday, so don't know why you're making out it was an individual performance. The whole team were woeful. Syers has been one of our most consistent performers.

Why can't you say: "Thanks for your service, best of luck"? This need to have a pop at a departing player is a really weird trait Darlington fans seem to have.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY