Netcafe - 14 December 2018

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

lifetime darlo fan
Team Supported: Darlington

Netcafe - 14 December 2018

Post by lifetime darlo fan » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:39 pm

Has anyone submitted any questions yet? I'm struggling to muster the enthusiasm to submit my own questions. I'm suffering from some apathy regarding DFC

AndyPark

Re: Netcafe - 14 December 2018

Post by AndyPark » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:00 pm

Whatever questions you have, be sure to fire them across as it may not get asked otherwise.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:56 pm

AndyPark wrote:Whatever questions you have, be sure to fire them across as it may not get asked otherwise.
Agreed. Don't miss this opportunity - all it takes is an email.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

bga

Post by bga » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:00 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
AndyPark wrote:Whatever questions you have, be sure to fire them across as it may not get asked otherwise.
Agreed. Don't miss this opportunity - all it takes is an email.
Clearly the Board will not answer any direct questions regarding the Manager's position as they have stated this a few weeks ago. I have therefore raised a slightly different one regarding Contingency planning should we lose our Manager for whatever reason! Also a question regards how The Commercial Manager position is funded. I really hope others on here pile the questions in, rather than raise (and debate) them on here.

Darlo_CR

Post by Darlo_CR » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:44 pm

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:08 pm

Page not working

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Alfie

Post by Alfie » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:27 pm

From what I've seen so far:

Next years budget will be lower than this years - regardless of relegation or not. Seems to be suggesting if we are still in this league the target will be more to keep clear of relegation than playoffs.
There was a remark about the rugby club being very patient in respect of late payment of bills due to cash flow problems - makes the need for keeping on top of finances even more critical, and understandable from the CEO's point of view if as he said in a later answer about the role and commitment of CEO role that as a director he has provided personal financial guarantees and has a liability if the club gets in dire financial positions again.

Nice to see virtually every caller expressing disgust at the abuse they received last week.

bga

Post by bga » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:31 pm

Alfie wrote:From what I've seen so far:

Next years budget will be lower than this years - regardless of relegation or not. Seems to be suggesting if we are still in this league the target will be more to keep clear of relegation than playoffs.
There was a remark about the rugby club being very patient in respect of late payment of bills due to cash flow problems - makes the need for keeping on top of finances even more critical, and understandable from the CEO's point of view if as he said in a later answer about the role and commitment of CEO role that as a director he has provided personal financial guarantees and has a liability if the club gets in dire financial positions again.

Nice to see virtually every caller expressing disgust at the abuse they received last week.
PLEASE SEE LAST QUESTION DJ HAS JUST ANSWERED TO ILLUSTRATE HOW BAD THINGS ARE. HIS LAST TWO SENTANCES MAKE SOBERING READING. I JUST HOPE HE STAYS PLEASE.

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:37 pm

To be honest some good answers from the netcafe very honest.

To me it appears from the answers its obvious with the DFCSG board controlling all the finances we are never really going to progress but run the club at this or a level below.

If we have ambition the DFCSG board need to look at bringing in outside investors and how that would work otherwise we end up going backwards.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:39 pm

Some very concerning comments now coming through in the latter stages of this Netcafe event. D.J. Saying he wants to walk away!

This will be in the wake of the awful abuse thrown up to the balcony last Saturday.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:40 pm

Given answers to the questions tonight which have been very honest, it is very clear we have hit a ceiling point with fan ownership....certainly with the ground situation as is, as this is a noose round our neck.
The options are very clear.
We need to accept where we are and try and remain in this league and hope for cup runs in the future.
We need a backer and end the fan ownership model....if we want to get back to the football league.
Finally we need to resolve the ground issue, a backer may get involved if we have opportunities at making our home within the sporting village.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

QuakerPete

Post by QuakerPete » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:41 pm

quakersfan wrote:To be honest some good answers from the netcafe very honest.

To me it appears from the answers its obvious with the DFCSG board controlling all the finances we are never really going to progress but run the club at this or a level below.

If we have ambition the DFCSG board need to look at bringing in outside investors and how that would work otherwise we end up going backwards.
There’s been nothing stopping an investor approaching the club now. What would they get? No ground and little in the way of assets. It’s not like we’ve been turning people away. You make it sound like DFCSG are somehow hindering our progress

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:44 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:Some very concerning comments now coming through in the latter stages of this Netcafe event. D.J. Saying he wants to walk away!

This will be in the wake of the awful abuse thrown up to the balcony last Saturday.
We are lucky that he can’t walk away as he legal responsibilities, it sounds as though if he didn’t have these responsibilities he would have gone. I think he will stay until the end of the season, but beyond who knows which is very concerning.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:46 pm

Honest, detailed - and depressing - answers.

It's clear now we can't really afford this level, and we're going to need a minimum of £2m to develop a ground. The budget next season will be lower, and the CEO who is personally guaranteeing various contracts wants to go. Will Darlington FC - a club with a long, if not particularly glorious history in the Football League - ever play at a national level again? Doesn't look like it

Gow9900

Post by Gow9900 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:51 pm

What Johnston said at the end of the netcafe. Imperative he isn’t hounded out by Mart’s little mob:

I want to explain to the fans how bad this is……for example, when our playing strip deal ended and we had to get a new strip. The accounts of the club have been that poor since it reformed that no-one would give us a line of credit and ultimately the only way we got a strip to play in was by me personally guaranteeing the kit deal. What this means is my personal finance sits behind the kit deal and we have to ensure we sell set volumes and reach revenue targets etc. If we don’t then I am liable for the balance which could run to 6 figures. I also personally guarantee the club's overdraft and have also put money into the club to help pay HMRC bills when we have faced winding up orders over the past 12 months. We do not normally talk about these issues in public but following the vile abuse I received at the end of the Nuneaton game and the chants for me to leave – I feel I need to let fans understand this. If people want me to leave I will walk away tomorrow but I really fear for the financial future of the club if I do. Maybe the individuals who abused me and my wife can pick up the personal guarantees that are the financial under-pinning of this club. None of the Board Directors take a penny out of this club it’s all done on a voluntary basis but you as fans have to decide. I can tell you now…..I want to walk away but I feel I have a moral and ethical responsibility to stay as the club could fold. It is certainly not worth the hassle, stress and abuse for no reward.

Let me know and I’ll go tomorrow but someone will have to step up an pick up the personal guarantees or the club could fold.

Beano

Post by Beano » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:54 pm

Far, far grimmer than I'd imagined.

The Golden Hairclip

Post by The Golden Hairclip » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:54 pm

People forget what we’ve achieved in a very short space of time. It’s been incredible. Fans raising over £1m, multiple promotions and a move back to the town.

We’re now in a period of consolidation and slow growth. We need to be patient! Something sadly lacking in society at the moment.

I’m confident we’ll get back to the football league eventually but I don’t expect that to be within the next 5 years. 8 - 10 years probably.

The most important thing is that we’ve got a club to support. Imagine a world without DFC?!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:59 pm

Why do people think we are some fantastic investment opportunity? Where is the return on investment for these imaginary investors.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:59 pm

lo36789 wrote:

Why do people think we are some fantastic investment opportunity? Where is the return on investment for these imaginary investors.
People use 'investor' when they actually mean 'sugar daddy'

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:59 pm

Gow9900 wrote:What Johnston said at the end of the netcafe. Imperative he isn’t hounded out by Mart’s little mob:

I want to explain to the fans how bad this is……for example, when our playing strip deal ended and we had to get a new strip. The accounts of the club have been that poor since it reformed that no-one would give us a line of credit and ultimately the only way we got a strip to play in was by me personally guaranteeing the kit deal. What this means is my personal finance sits behind the kit deal and we have to ensure we sell set volumes and reach revenue targets etc. If we don’t then I am liable for the balance which could run to 6 figures. I also personally guarantee the club's overdraft and have also put money into the club to help pay HMRC bills when we have faced winding up orders over the past 12 months. We do not normally talk about these issues in public but following the vile abuse I received at the end of the Nuneaton game and the chants for me to leave – I feel I need to let fans understand this. If people want me to leave I will walk away tomorrow but I really fear for the financial future of the club if I do. Maybe the individuals who abused me and my wife can pick up the personal guarantees that are the financial under-pinning of this club. None of the Board Directors take a penny out of this club it’s all done on a voluntary basis but you as fans have to decide. I can tell you now…..I want to walk away but I feel I have a moral and ethical responsibility to stay as the club could fold. It is certainly not worth the hassle, stress and abuse for no reward.

Let me know and I’ll go tomorrow but someone will have to step up an pick up the personal guarantees or the club could fold.
Don’t hold much hope on that lot doing a huge amount of reading so can’t imagine the message will get to them.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:01 pm

The vast majority of fans are understanding of this difficult situation...........

:silent:
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Alfie

Post by Alfie » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:04 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:The vast majority of fans are understanding of this difficult situation...........

Very true, but it's the ones who don't understand who make the most noise

Gow9900

Post by Gow9900 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:08 pm

The thing that amuses me the most is when people come out and say:

‘Get an investor’, as of their is a queue of people with insane amounts of money waiting for the nod to come in and chuck money at us. Then again these are probably the same ppl that would have had Raj back.

As for the club, it basically boils down to the fact the support the club gets from the town is appalling and we don’t generate enough money, and it appears that of the pitch the club has been winging it since 2012 (that’s not a dig at the volunteers, they’re incredible and without them we wouldn’t have a club) and now we’ve decided to get our house in order and run the club self sufficiently it’s become apparent that the way it’s been run in the last five years couldn’t carry on.

The club just needs to get through this season and then look towards the monies that are being generated by the new commercial manager and also monies that will start coming in from the academy.

But it also comes down to ultimately whether ppl continue to support the club. We are all sick and tired of the way things are, but stopping going will only reduce incomes further and drive the club further into the ground. But at the same time it’s not compulsory to go and if ppl decide they don’t want to go anymore then their will be a consequence for the club unfortunately

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:15 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:The vast majority of fans are understanding of this difficult situation...........

Apparently there have been a few investors interested but when they look at the model they get cold feet. It’a Chicken and Egg situation it’s the members of the DFCSG me included who have to vote to change the articles to a point where investors might be interested. Perhaps a move to SV might create more interest, in the meantime I bet Tommy is wondering what was sold to him.

The Golden Hairclip

Post by The Golden Hairclip » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:17 pm

Gow9900 wrote:The thing that amuses me the most is when people come out and say:

‘Get an investor’, as of their is a queue of people with insane amounts of money waiting for the nod to come in and chuck money at us. Then again these are probably the same ppl that would have had Raj back.

As for the club, it basically boils down to the fact the support the club gets from the town is appalling and we don’t generate enough money, and it appears that of the pitch the club has been winging it since 2012 (that’s not a dig at the volunteers, they’re incredible and without them we wouldn’t have a club) and now we’ve decided to get our house in order and run the club self sufficiently it’s become apparent that the way it’s been run in the last five years couldn’t carry on.

The club just needs to get through this season and then look towards the monies that are being generated by the new commercial manager and also monies that will start coming in from the academy.

But it also comes down to ultimately whether ppl continue to support the club. We are all sick and tired of the way things are, but stopping going will only reduce incomes further and drive the club further into the ground. But at the same time it’s not compulsory to go and if ppl decide they don’t want to go anymore then their will be a consequence for the club unfortunately
Spot on!

What I don’t get is people wetting their pants about a bad season and wanting to walk away from the club or totally change the ethos.

We’ve come this far together and we need to stick together. Everyone knows this season hasn’t worked out on the pitch which has had a knock on impact on our finances. We need to see out the season, learn from our mistakes and press the reset button in the summer.

Any “investor” will want to make money from the club eventually and will use it as a vehicle to make money. If it ends up making a loss, then that investor will eventually get fed up and walk away. Do we really want to go back to the boom and bust days of Reynolds, Houghton and Singh? Or do we want a sustainable, fan owned club that can grow at its own rate? Is a return to the football league the ultimately goal or is it a club we can all be proud of and be part of?

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:28 pm

The Golden Hairclip wrote:
Gow9900 wrote:The thing that amuses me the most is when people come out and say:

Spot on!

What I don’t get is people wetting their pants about a bad season and wanting to walk away from the club or totally change the ethos.

We’ve come this far together and we need to stick together. Everyone knows this season hasn’t worked out on the pitch which has had a knock on impact on our finances. We need to see out the season, learn from our mistakes and press the reset button in the summer.

Any “investor” will want to make money from the club eventually and will use it as a vehicle to make money. If it ends up making a loss, then that investor will eventually get fed up and walk away. Do we really want to go back to the boom and bust days of Reynolds, Houghton and Singh? Or do we want a sustainable, fan owned club that can grow at its own rate? Is a return to the football league the ultimately goal or is it a club we can all be proud of and be part of?

I suppose the important fact here is that we are NOT growing. We are talking about reducing the budget and by doing so its more than likely results will suffer and crowds will keep getting smaller We don't have the infrastructure to bring in the revenue through off-field activities and we can't afford to develop the ground. We just can't compete with those teams around us in terms of wages, particularly in the North-East. We might be able to survive, but I think its fairly obvious from what was said tonight that we aren't going to do any growing based on the current model.

The Golden Hairclip

Post by The Golden Hairclip » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:32 pm

Yarblockos wrote:
The Golden Hairclip wrote:

Spot on!

I suppose the important fact here is that we are NOT growing. We are talking about reducing the budget and by doing so its more than likely results will suffer and crowds will keep getting smaller We don't have the infrastructure to bring in the revenue through off-field activities and we can't afford to develop the ground. We just can't compete with those teams around us in terms of wages, particularly in the North-East. We might be able to survive, but I think its fairly obvious from what was said tonight that we aren't going to do any growing based on the current model.
Even with cuts we could still set a very competitive playing budget for this league. A top half budget. Also a big budget doesn’t guarantee success, just look at York (and Manchester United).

Who knows what the future holds? Unearthing a gem that can be sold for decent money, a cup run, large donations etc.

Gow9900

Post by Gow9900 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:36 pm

Well we probably need to think about members of the supporters group having a vote to see if the members are for or against external investment. If it is a yes. Then the club can put it out there that they are looking for someone to come in and put their personal funds into the club. Investment suggests a return on capital invested, but with the club in its current state the likelihood in the short to medium term is unlikely.

We then either get someone who comes forward, who is then vetted to see if they are legitimate and have the funds to spend on us then we go with that and hope that their intentions are good and they are in it for the long haul.

If no one comes forward, the club makes the best of the situation we are in.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:40 pm

The Golden Hairclip wrote:Who knows what the future holds? Unearthing a gem that can be sold for decent money, a cup run, large donations etc.

That doesn't sound like a sustainable, gowing club to me, more like a club hoping for the odd miracle to progress. We just sold a gem for decent money in the summer also. I guess that's the best hope we've got for now.

divas

Post by divas » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:43 pm

Gow9900 wrote:Well we probably need to think about members of the supporters group having a vote to see if the members are for or against external investment.
Having read the articles I’m not so sure it’s as easy as that.