Next season

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Spyman
Team Supported: Darlington

Next season

Post by Spyman » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:31 pm

If there is one....and whatever division we are in.. .

What length contracts are the current squad on? Given that we are quite heavily reliant on boost the budget, what kind of impact will it have if a significant chunk reduce their donation next season, or cancel it entirely, based on the failure this season to deliver a competitive team?

Basically, will whoever is in charge (both Manager and CEO) have a clean slate when setting next season's budget and putting a squad together, or will we have a significant weight around our necks from the get go?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Darlo_Pete

Re: Next season

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:51 pm

Most of the players are on 2 year contracts, a good few of them will run out at the end of this season. I think next season will be extremely tough on whoever is in charge unless this season turns round very quickly, as I think it'll be very hard to sell boost the budget when it hasn't worked this year. So the playing budget will be cut and players may be released from their contracts.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:01 pm

Doesn't make sense, Pete.

Most of the current squad joined in the summer - so if on two year contracts are with is to summer 2020.

As we've seen with Caton & Collins, we can't assume we can just off load contracted players without paying up their contract, which doesn't really help financially.

Only Galbraith, Thompson, Wheatley, Trotman and O'Hanlon of the current squad joined prior to last summer. Saunders too but he's just signed a new deal.

Madison, Hughes, Burns, Elliott, Henshall, Nicholson, Ainge all on two year deals?
Darlo_Pete wrote:Most of the players are on 2 year contracts, a good few of them will run out at the end of this season. I think next season will be extremely tough on whoever is in charge unless this season turns round very quickly, as I think it'll be very hard to sell boost the budget when it hasn't worked this year. So the playing budget will be cut and players may be released from their contracts.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

H1987

Post by H1987 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:27 pm

Players to keep:

Maddison, Galbraith, Thompson, Saunders, Wheatley, Nicholson. Maybe Trotman, although if someone wants to buy him, i'd take the money.

The rest? A solid meh for me if any of them were to go. I'm not sure any of them beyond Galbraith, Thompson and Saunders would still be here if we were relegated. Oh, and no doubt some deadweight being paid too much.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:23 pm

I'd like to keep Hughes and Elliot is OK too.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:05 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:I'd like to keep Hughes and Elliot is OK too.
I'm a fan of both Wheatley and Elliott. When they are given time and space they can control a game (I'm led to believe they bossed it away to Spenny). But the problem is that we generally are not given any time on the ball. Any mediocre scout could see this. We need a really mean T*&T in the middle

Beano

Post by Beano » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:50 pm

But, to reiterate the OP's question, who is actually contracted for next season?

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:21 pm

Beano wrote:But, to reiterate the OP's question, who is actually contracted for next season?
Question for the Netcafé?

bertbanger

Post by bertbanger » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:58 am

not sure how a coffee company will be able to answer that question!
:shock:

JE93

Post by JE93 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:36 pm

Hopefully we can stay up, but without a change of manager that seems less likely by the week. I understand what tommy says when its hard working when players are sold for financial reasons. But lets face it, he was struggling to get results with the full strength team that he signed over the summer.

I decided to have a look back to our 5th place finish in our first season in this league to see what we were doing right back then that we're no longer doing. Our team (give or take) at the end of the season was:

----------------- Bartlett -----------------------

Marrs ----- Brown ---- Hunter ------ Ferguson

Gillies ---- Turnbull --- Syers ------ Thompson

------------- Beck ----- Cartman ---------------

Subs: Wylsinski, Falkringham, Scott, Saunders, Wearmouth.

Looking at that team, it was so solid. A very defensive back 4, Turnbull who held in the midfield. Thompson and Gillies providing threat from wide areas but also able to cut in and score goals. Syers making his late runs into the box and the classic little and large partnership upfront. We had a solid team who worked hard did what they had to do with a bit of quality in there in the likes of Beck, Syers, Gillies and Thompson who could get you goals. We got the ball into the box as often as possible. Think the Salford managers said we were the best team they'd ever seen at recycling the ball. Every time they cleared it we worked it back wide quickly and attacked again before they could reset.

Tommys big problem is he tried to rebuild the spine of the side in the summer and of the 4 players he signed to do that only one has worked out the way he planned. Maddison has the making of a decent keeper and I'm glad we've got him. Burn hasn't lived up to the standards expected based on his pedigree. Hughes was clearly Turnbulls replacement but isn't mobile enough to play in midfield which left us with an unbalanced squad. Ainge has shown in glimpses what he can do. But unfortunately has been injured too much and if he's not playing he loses match fitness very quickly.

Trying to apply what was successful before to what we have now for another season at CN or a tilt at the evo stik:

------------------------- Maddison ---------------------

xxxx ------- Hughes -- Galbraith/Burn -- xxxx

Thompson ---- Wheatley --- Xxxx ------- Nicholson

------------------- xxxxxxxx --- Saunders -----------

Subs: Yth GK, Vaulks, Elliott, Xxxx, xxxx

RB - I really like Trotman I think he adds a lot to us in an attacking sense and I think there is a player in there who maybe at wingback could play higher up the leagues. But what I wouldn't give for someone like Marrs right now. Dependable RB. Defender first anything else second.

CB - Hughes could be a good player for us at CB but one of Galbraith or Burn have to step up. Both have been poor this season.

LB - not sure what the story is with O'Hanlon. Similar to Trotman I like him he certainly is good on the ball. But I think I'd swap that right now for someone more limited but solid and dependable at the back.

CM - as many others have said. We need a ricky Ravenhill style midfielder. Safe on the ball. Hard in the tackle to protect the CB's. That will free up either Wheatley or Elliott to play. Both of whom I like but maybe they're too similar to play together.

CF - Ainge needs to prove he can be fit and playing weekly. I think if he is there is a good player in there. He's definitely a handful for CB's when he's on form. And while he's doing that it give Saunders more freedom to run. I like the improvement that we've seen in Harvey but now it's time for him to show he can be a starting number 9.

I don't think individually we have bad players. But we're missing key types of player and I don't think what we've got has received the coaching or drilling they need to put them into a formation that works.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:26 pm

I think that for what you're saying, which is quite far from the question I was asking, we clearly have gaps to fill.

We had a better keeper in Bartlett, but a more expensive one.

I think Ferguson came late in the season, as I recall did Syers (could be wrong).

I see Saunders as a similar player to Cartman. I see Ainge as potentially similar to Beck - if he was fit.

I think defensively we have better players - Trotman over Marrs, Hughes over Brown?

We've not replaced Turnbull - that's clear.

Also, for all his inconsistencies it seems we've not replaced Gillies.

It also looks as though we may have better "footballers" at the back but not better defenders. Brown would die for the cause, White and Burgess would bully defenders. Hunter had pace to burn. We seem to have lost that mix at the back.

DC