Chorley V Darlington match thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

don'tbuythesun
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Chorley V Darlington match thread

Post by don'tbuythesun » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:51 am

To be fair to Maddison the conditions were appalling and we saw Allison drop a clanger yesterday. Apart from some wayward kicking thought he did okay considering. It was bad enough wrapped up behind each goal, can't imagine what it was like to play in!

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:54 am

I can't see how or why people are criticising the teams performance, for large parts of that of that game we matched Chorley and the game could have been different had we finished that chance at 2-1 down.

I thought we played well considering how atrocious those conditions were. Just re-watched the highlights and those clangers by Maddison, bloody hell! Look even worse from when we seen them at the match.

Oh well, onto Saturday away to Altrincham. Won't be there as got the little one this weekend. Bring back the points lads.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:40 am

Chorley always looked the likely winners once they took the game by the scruff of the neck in the second half. The goals looked to be coming even though the mistakes were disappointing. Our goal was peppered with shots and the match stats read: Shots: Chorley 23 Darlington 9. We competed well in the first half but were very much second best after half-time even though we still managed to carve out one or two chances.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:13 am

Ooof, there is some bad, bad goalkeeping in there. For a lad who has played in the lower reaches of the football league, Maddison is very much lacking some physicality. Yes, he could tip the ball over for the first, or he could go up and claim it. He's shown some good shot stopping ability, but he needs work in other areas. Hopefully Pears is helping iron some of these issues out. He can be a good player at this level.

Quality finishes from Nelson. Very impressed. Lovely first touch as well. TW needs to be begging him to stay longer.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:25 am

The error for that last goal was poor but the defending was shocking as well on the right hand side. Our team stopped and watched as their player had about 3 years to keep the ball in and cross it.

For all the complaints that O’Hanlon came on and weakened us every single Chorley goal came from our right hand side.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:38 am

It's the kind of defending we've seen repeated from day one this season. We don't get tight enough, we don't stop crosses and we're easy to score against. TW has never managed to sort it out.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:39 am

Just watched the highlights - Nelson looks a proper player, but its pretty clear he won't be here longer than a month. Hopefully he can help us pick up some points over the coming games and also gives Ainge the chance to get properly fit.

Some shocking defending + goalkeeping mind. Lets hope the upcoming loanees can help out in that department.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:53 am

LoidLucan wrote:It's the kind of defending we've seen repeated from day one this season. We don't get tight enough, we don't stop crosses and we're easy to score against. TW has never managed to sort it out.
Been saying this for God knows how long.The majority of goals we concede from wide areas is frightening, Trotman and O'Hanlon are ok going forward but poor at defending and this 3 at the back does my head in.Just wish our management would make us harder to score against and make us more resilient by reverting to a back 4.Could have won that game if our keeper had not had a nightmare, 2 should have been prevented and where was our marking for the other Nelson looked a player, wish we had him for the rest of the season as we can score goals but always need 3 or 4 to win a game it seems.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:30 pm

Andy, the great thing about your little one is that when he/she is a bit older you'll be able to turn them into a Darlo fan. My 10 year old is big into Darlo.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:38 pm

What really annoys me more than anything else about things is that I firmly believe that with some proper organisation, discipline, tactics and leadership from the top this side could be so much better. Instead as games go by all we hear is "We deserved better", "There's something build on" or incredibly "We're going to have a surge at the play-offs". All the while the fundamentals behind our predicament seem untouched and it's Groundhog Day all over again in the battle for survival.

Alfie

Post by Alfie » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:39 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:Andy, the great thing about your little one is that when he/she is a bit older you'll be able to turn them into a Darlo fan. My 10 year old is big into Darlo.
I think this is a case for social services - you are condemning them to a lifetime of despair, depression, false promises and ridicule from their mates.

divas

Post by divas » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:09 pm

Wow that defending was embarrassing, you’d get better at Northern League level.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:17 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:Andy, the great thing about your little one is that when he/she is a bit older you'll be able to turn them into a Darlo fan. My 10 year old is big into Darlo.
My daugther has already got a season ticket at Grimsby Town, but I bring her to games up here when she’s in Darlington.

But my 6 year old niece on the other hand loves Darlo already. She’s been to 7 games this season & somehow still finds the enthusiasm to enjoy it.

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:15 pm

I agree very much with Loid L's last post, also the one before that. We seem to be in a strange place in how we react; it's either reasons to be cheerful when we've lost less badly or what a load of rubbish when there's actually been some evidence of effort. I tend to blame Wright for most things but with our terrible defense I think White is culpable. He knows what a capable back line looks like but the pair of them just seem to focus on attack - with very little to stockade it. It does seem odd that they haven't done better with these players but then they are an odd couple and we're stuck with them now and we might be at the point where the pain doesn't hurt anymore.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:27 pm

divas wrote:Wow that defending was embarrassing, you’d get better at Northern League level.
TW post-match: "A little bit unfortunate. I don't think we necessarily defended badly today."

I rest my case.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:30 pm

We just need to find another Josh Heaton. Can tighten up our defence and sell for decent money in the summer. Easy

H1987

Post by H1987 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:39 pm

He can't organise a defence (team?), i think that's become clear. He managed to get two outstanding players (at this level) in Heaton and Pears, which dug us out of the mess last year.

Unfortunately you can characterise Wrights entire time here with bad defensive organisation, and ultimately, bad tactics. Mind you, i'm not entirely sold on the idea MG was much better either.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:16 pm

H1987 wrote:He can't organise a defence (team?), i think that's become clear. He managed to get two outstanding players (at this level) in Heaton and Pears, which dug us out of the mess last year.

Unfortunately you can characterise Wrights entire time here with bad defensive organisation, and ultimately, bad tactics. Mind you, i'm not entirely sold on the idea MG was much better either.
I agree, it does beggar the question WTF is AW paid for ?

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:18 pm

H1987 wrote:He can't organise a defence (team?), i think that's become clear. He managed to get two outstanding players (at this level) in Heaton and Pears, which dug us out of the mess last year.

Our defence wasnt that bad last season. We rarely lost by more than the odd goal.
I think Heatons replacement, Burn, has been a major disappointment. With his pedigree he should be doing far better. He looks like he cant be arsed half the time and fannys about looking for a hollywood ball instead of passing it quickly to feet.
If the rumours are true about a defender coming in from Barnsley then hopefully we can reorganise the defence and get more solid.