Boxing Day v York City

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

don'tbuythesun
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Boxing Day v York City

Post by don'tbuythesun » Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:01 pm

Games kicking off at 12.30, 3.00, 17.15 and 19.30 today!

Darlo Dodger

Post by Darlo Dodger » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:28 pm

Hughes and O’Hanlon in for Burns and Kikolo

Darlo_CR

Post by Darlo_CR » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:35 pm

Team today: Maddison, Trotman, Smith, Hughes, Galbraith, O'Hanlon, Elliott, Palmer, Nicholson, Nelson, Saunders.

Subs: Wollerton, Hall, Henshall, Burn, Thompson.

Beano

Post by Beano » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:39 pm

What’s the craic with Wheatley at the minute?

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:38 pm

Injured, according to Wright in the echo. Was expected to make it today though.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:56 pm

What an afternoon, get in

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:58 pm

5 - 1 yes that’s right folks

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:07 pm

Excellent, excellent, excellent. Now let's turn this into a bit of form. We'll done lads.

divas

Post by divas » Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:09 pm

A performance full of commitment, amazing what can be achieved when all eleven players give their all. It’s all we’ve been asking all season.

Sussex07

Post by Sussex07 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:10 pm

5-1 ..and all these different beers close to hands..cheers lads. :thumbup:

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by grimsbyquaker » Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:33 pm

Wright In; White In...credit where it’s due! Survival is back on. Let’s see off Ashton on Saturday and then withstand the inevitable backlash at York next Tuesday

Wainy247

Post by Wainy247 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:55 pm

If Craig Stoddart happens to read this, definite penalty I reckon, Saunders was clipped. Ferguson deserved the send off he eventually got for mouthing off.

Beano

Boxing Day v York City

Post by Beano » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:07 pm

As odd as this might seem to say, we’ve threatened to do this all season, and have thrown away several opportunities to do so.

We looked organised, threatening, pacey and committed throughout. The loanees Smith, Palmer and, particularly, Nelson have been a revelation.

divas

Post by divas » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:09 pm

Beano wrote:As odd as this might seem to say, we’ve threatened to do this all season, and have thrown away several opportunities to do so.

We looked organised, threatening, pacey and committed throughout. The Smith, Palmer and, particularly, Nelson have been a revelation.
Very similar to the Telford performance. It’s now up to them to prove it wasnt a flash in the pan like that result was

shawry

Post by shawry » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:17 pm

divas wrote:
Beano wrote:As odd as this might seem to say, we’ve threatened to do this all season, and have thrown away several opportunities to do so.

We looked organised, threatening, pacey and committed throughout. The Smith, Palmer and, particularly, Nelson have been a revelation.
Very similar to the Telford performance. It’s now up to them to prove it wasnt a flash in the pan like that result was
The last 2 away games have given a better indication and were both decent enough performances, missing Hughes for me and when I heard he was back I said we would win, didn't think it would be so comprehensive though.

Team should be full of confidence going into the next game now too.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by grimsbyquaker » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:18 pm

Hopefully this will be THE turning point at BM. As has been said we’ve shown glimpses of being able to do this all season but have not managed to be ruthless enough over 90 minutes. Nobody can cite BM as a problem as it’s been proved today that a performance from each player will get the crowd buzzing. I’m pleased for the boys and also for Tommy and Alan. Get them penning new contracts now before they’re poached

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:37 pm

grimsbyquaker wrote:Get them penning new contracts now before they’re poached
Lol - very good :)

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:50 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
quakerste wrote:Looking forward to this one. The forecast for the day is good so hopefully we can get 2.5k through the gates.

York have been given 700 standing tickets and 93 seats, lets hope they can get rid of the majority of them.
God ur a dreamer

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Didn't hit 2.5k but a good crowd none the less.Hopefully after that performance a few will come back Saturday.

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:15 pm

What was the attendance today?

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:23 pm

JE93

Post by JE93 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:44 pm

We were excellent today. Everything we’ve seemingly not done for most of the season was on show today. We kept our shape, we hassled the ball from the forwards and midfield, communication was better, every player seemed to want the ball and wanted to make things happen. And all of that lead to a really good atmosphere at BM.

Thought everyone pulled their weight today and . Great to see Hughes get his first goal too. He clearly enjoyed it and fans seem very invested in him. Thought Saunders made intelligent runs, Nelson was a class above and Palmer was immense looks like everyone else is playing in slow motion he has so much time on ball. that is the quality we have when everyone is on their game, it should be the bench mark we as fans and they as players aim to produce. Now it is all about belief, consistency and drilling the team to play this 3-5-2 formation.

We need to be having the discussion with Barnsley about having Palmer and Smith to the end of the season. Both have been immense in the last 2 games. I’ve resigned myself to losing nelson, clearly too good for this league but we do need to be thinking about who else we could get in once his 28 days are up.

Credit to tommy and Alan today they got it right and motivated the players well. The loan signings in the whole have been good. Still not convinced of their long term future but will always support the club and hope we can produce a similar performance against Ashton and again at York on Boxing Day. 10 points from 12 over Christmas and new year would be a very welcome return might shift the mood.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:03 pm

That was superb against a full-time side. They hit the woodwork a couple of times inside the first 20 minutes, but really we dominated the game from start to finish and we could have scored more. Thought the new additions have made a tremendous difference to the confidence of the side. The crowd was excellent today in both numbers and volume, as they got behind the team and Tommy and Alan. Let's hope for similar on Saturday against Ashton Utd and then I can't wait for next Tuesday at York. Even the trains are running for once on New Years Day.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:25 pm

Good entertaining game and the fact we won 5-1 was always going to make it enjoyable. Nelson, Saunders and Nicholson have the opposition on the back foot and were very similar against Altrincham.

Palmer again was good 1st half and didn't have the same influence 2nd half, whilst Smith was decent but Hughes was excellent and is the only cool, calm and communicating one at the back.

Main worry is what happens with the loan signings and the squad/team when the month is up but I hope we get as many points as possible now.

Roll on Saturday and see if Wright can get a similar type of performance and hopefully another win, still the Christmas holidays so hopefully a decent attendance also.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:47 pm

Plenty positives to take (including 3 points) from loanees & regulars but it could have gone the other way if the post had been thinner. Still too many crosses getting into our box from both flanks, very dangerous & eventually lost the clean sheet. Our forwards looked to have gained confidence & now prepared to push with pace into their box and shoot - thus gaining 2 pens. Really need to make this the season's turning point, particularly with 3pts on Saturday v Ashton and perhaps another point v York. At least we put in lots of effort and a good home win in front of a big crowd who supported them in response. Hopefully some of our fickle fans will be back on Saturday to see a repeat performance. Also great work by 50/50 team leading to £850 prize! :thumbup:

murtonquaker
Team Supported: Mighty Darlo

Post by murtonquaker » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:52 pm

Cracking performance today, wonder what odds my turf accountant would have given on that result, dad also enjoyed it, considering the shite he has witnessed the last few times he has come along with me, only decent performance he seen this season was Spennymoor back in August. He pretty much clearly never had us to win, whereas I quite optimistically predicted a 3-0 win

Does it take any pressure off Tommy and Whitey, I don't know (probably not), but here's hoping for at least 4 more points in the next days), although if York are that abysmal next week, I hope we smash them again

Onwards and upwards I hope

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:47 pm

According to BBC York, Hughes was insistent to play today, strapped up and in pain throughout. At the end he had to get a pain relief injection. :clap:

The York fans phoning through messages were livid.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:50 pm

When did we a) last win by four or more and b) put five past anyone?

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:01 am

North Ferriby in the snow?
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:09 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:North Ferriby in the snow?
Ah yes. Seems like an awfully long time ago, but it was only March.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:02 am

Looks like Nelson has been a good player to bring in. I wasn’t expecting that much as he has scored that many goals anywhere else he has been. I wouldn’t rule out us being able to keep him for the rest of the season if the move is doing him good.