Caton watch

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

super_les_mcjannet
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Caton watch

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:03 pm

don'tbuythesun wrote:Plenty of players wear gloves these days. Hardly his fault if he's not in favour and to be fair he has gone elsewhere to try to get a game. Get off his back.
I would say he is certainly responsible largely for being out of favour as he was not delivering when selected.

I guess Wright tried to force him out and it didn't work, can Wright pull him back in and get a tune out of him - not convinced.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:33 pm

I dont blame caton for sitting on a contract he was given but i firmly believe TW could have handled this issue a whole lot better.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:44 pm

LoidLucan wrote:I dont blame caton for sitting on a contract he was given but i firmly believe TW could have handled this issue a whole lot better.
Definitely. I've never been a fan of players being sidelined just because the manager wants rid. If we are paying him then he should be given the same opportunities as any other player.
Wright isnt the first manager to do this type of thing and wont be the last. Didnt Martin Gray blank Dale Hopson for ages to try and get him out the club too? One reason why when he tried to get him back again Hopson ended up at Blyth instead.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:52 pm

eddie-rowles wrote:Got a spare pair of gloves for xmas so will bring them with me for Kiddy game , just in case
Nelson wears gloves , nobody is having a go at him.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:00 pm

Yeah, i think the first mistake was to publicly state that the player would no longer be a part of his plans when that player had a long time left on his contract and there was no clear agreed remedy/strategy to get things properly and promptly sorted... other than what were effectively trial periods at other clubs.

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by grimsbyquaker » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:09 pm

If fit I’d play him left wing in front of Kokolo

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:11 pm

LoidLucan wrote:Yeah, i think the first mistake was to publicly state that the player would no longer be a part of his plans when that player had a long time left on his contract and there was no clear agreed remedy/strategy to get things properly and promptly sorted... other than what were effectively trial periods at other clubs.
He tried to force him out and save the club money but it didn't work. As a manager you make those decisions and stand by the outcome, the outcome is we have still been paying somebody with no output.

It's not something I would hold up against Tommy as a stand out error and I bet if we were 5th in the table after a run to the 1st round of the FA Cup no one would even care about. However alongside everything else it's just another area he hasn't been successful in.

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:24 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
don'tbuythesun wrote:Plenty of players wear gloves these days. Hardly his fault if he's not in favour and to be fair he has gone elsewhere to try to get a game. Get off his back.
I would say he is certainly responsible largely for being out of favour as he was not delivering when selected.

I guess Wright tried to force him out and it didn't work, can Wright pull him back in and get a tune out of him - not convinced.
Tommy Boy couldn’t get a tune out of the London Symphony Orchestra never mind Caton.Agree he should be involved and training at least but the bloke seems to be made of glass and finds it very easy to be “injured “.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:42 pm

I think Caton should have been doing twice weekly training with us, attending all the matches whether on the bench or not, helping to fill the bench when we only had kids to do so and, dare i say it, even coming on when we hit the desperate manning situation that was allowed to engulf us by not having enough players. Given that Caton was back in the north west and doing a degree over there and needing time for that i think the aove actions could well have helped focus his mind on what he wanted to do.

bga

Post by bga » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:38 pm

Darlopartisan wrote:
eddie-rowles wrote:Got a spare pair of gloves for xmas so will bring them with me for Kiddy game , just in case
Nelson wears gloves , nobody is having a go at him.
So does Maddison come to that. :roll:

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:30 pm

LoidLucan wrote:I think Caton should have been doing twice weekly training with us, attending all the matches whether on the bench or not, helping to fill the bench when we only had kids to do so and, dare i say it, even coming on when we hit the desperate manning situation that was allowed to engulf us by not having enough players. Given that Caton was back in the north west and doing a degree over there and needing time for that i think the aove actions could well have helped focus his mind on what he wanted to do.
Hence he was at Warrington and Stalybridge and presumably training with them. Was he expected to be in two places at once? I struggle to understand why a player would underperform on purpose. Surely you'd want to play and help the team? Or do people know something I don't?

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:59 pm

I'm saying i wouldnt have farmed him out on loan particularly after the first one failed completely and particularly so when we were almost in danger of not being able to field a full side and bench. I think it suited him well enough to be in the north west where he was living and doing a degree but it wasnt in the best interests of our club. Anyone looking at our club from the outside would have thought we were mental having players out on loan when we had the smallest squad in the league and had a real crisis.

divas

Post by divas » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:03 pm

Saved a wage on someone the manager didn’t want to have as part of the squad

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:08 pm

Did it? Full wages covered by these two clubs?

bga

Post by bga » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:40 pm

grimsbyquaker wrote:If fit I’d play him left wing in front of Kokolo
You may get what you wish for!
https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/ ... ys-wright/

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:55 pm

Good. Hopefully he'll be able to get his calf right as it's had plenty of rest recently, get over here for the training sessions and give us an extra option in our fight to avoid the drop. Should have happened some time ago.

bga

Post by bga » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:03 pm

LoidLucan wrote:Good. Hopefully he'll be able to get his calf right as it's had plenty of rest recently, get over here for the training sessions and give us an extra option in our fight to avoid the drop. Should have happened some time ago.
Tend to agree.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:06 pm

Mind, I'm not saying he's the Messiah!

bga

Post by bga » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:32 pm

LoidLucan wrote:Mind, I'm not saying he's the Messiah!
Oh yes I forgot we need miracles now! Where are the Judean Popular Front when you need them?

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by grimsbyquaker » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:40 pm

bga wrote:
grimsbyquaker wrote:If fit I’d play him left wing in front of Kokolo
You may get what you wish for!
https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/ ... ys-wright/
I still have some stirrings when I think of his beautifully curved pass (outside of his right boot) from the left wing at Leamington, that put Syers through on goal, only for him to scuff his shot straight at the overweight Barthez lookalike between the sticks...the sublime and the ridiculous in one move

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:17 am

LoidLucan wrote:Mind, I'm not saying he's the Messiah!
He's a very naughty (or given his scoring record, noughty) boy :lol:

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:27 pm

This is just my opinion but I think the penny has dropped with Caton, he knows he wont make it as a professional footballer - I don't think he likes playing football at this level and it will be interesting to see what he does at the end of the season. I have the same question marks over Henshall. Is the desire there, is there a willingness to try even though you are not 100% fit.
At this level Character is more important than ability.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman