Liam Hughes

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

piggy
Team Supported: Darlington

Liam Hughes

Post by piggy » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:19 am

Club have announced Liam is receiving professional help and won’t be available for a number of weeks. Wish him all the best.

en passant

Re: Liam Hughes

Post by en passant » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:33 am

piggy wrote:Club have announced Liam is receiving professional help and won’t be available for a number of weeks. Wish him all the best.
Just read this on the official site. Hughes has become a big part of the recent recovery and I was disappointed to hear that he wouldn't be playing at Alfreton. He's a great character and has, despite a dodgy start, become a fans favourite. Can only hope that it isn't too long before we see him back on the pitch. Very best wishes to him.

50 years

Post by 50 years » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:36 am

Has been excellent since he moved to centre half and clearly a great character, he must have played in some serious pain in the last few games with his shoulder when lesser players would have sat the games out in recovery. All the best Liam and hope to see you back in a Darlo shirt soon.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:40 am

I’m sure everyone is behind him. He will be missed while he’s gone. This is bigger than football.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:54 am

Yep. Hope people factor things like this in to our performances on the pitch. Liam needs to take however long it needs.
On a more positive note, it really is a step on the right direction that players now feel able to be honest about situations like this. I just wonder in the past how many players who were out long term and would be available 'In two weeks' had similar problems yet it had to be hushed up. I found Liam's interview back in August about his personal problems very refreshing and hopefully it encourages more players to be honest.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:14 am

Good luck in your recovery Liam, as someone who suffered bad with Mental Health a few years ago, I know how tough it is.

But you've got everyone at Darlington FC. One day at a time mate :thumbup:

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:41 am

All the best to Liam

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:20 am

All the best Liam. I have a friend who has suffered with depression and anxiety over the last 2 years pretty badly, it's more common than many people think. You are not alone.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:24 am

Just goes to show, for all that's said on and off-the-pitch, there are way more important things. All the best to him.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:01 pm

Good luck to Liam Hughes in his continual recovery. Anyone requiring assistance or support please use the link below, Mind are a brilliant organization.
http://www.darlingtonmind.com/

spen666

Post by spen666 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:05 pm

Sad to hear the news.

Glad however to see, the universal support for the lad, and the fact that he has been able to make public the problem.

Hoping the help he is getting enables him to make a full recovery.

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:08 pm

All the best Liam. You will make a full recovery, and come back fitter in all senses, and we all look forward to seeing you back in the black and white hoops.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:13 pm

Liam, you've been an absolute stalwart for us. Hopefully knowing so many of us are supporting your road to recovery will help.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:52 pm

Hughes will be a great miss to the side, however it is more important that he has the time and support to help him through the problems. Good to see the club communicating and such positive responses from the fans on this forum. All the best, Liam.

MKDarlo

Post by MKDarlo » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:41 pm

Really awful sounding news. Football is insignificant compared to this. Keep fighting and don't give in.

As an aside it is good the guy is open enough to ask for help and open enough to tell people he has asked for help. How many men are able to do that?

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:18 pm

Our very own Mr Q, David Forster has come up with a belting idea.

In the 5th minute of the Spennymoor game, can everyone who’s at the game please join in with the Liam Hughes appreciation.

It’ll probably be a “1 Liam Hughes” “Hughesy” followed by a minutes applause.

Come on Darlo family. Let’s give him the support he needs and deserves from the fans.

quakerman

Post by quakerman » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:03 pm

AndyPark wrote:Our very own Mr Q, David Forster has come up with a belting idea.

In the 5th minute of the Spennymoor game, can everyone who’s at the game please join in with the Liam Hughes appreciation.

Come on Darlo family. Let’s give him the support he needs and deserves from the fans.
That’s a great idea Andy and would send a message to Liam that we are all behind him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:51 pm

Great idea Andy

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:51 pm

Great idea Andy

The Golden Hairclip

Post by The Golden Hairclip » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:29 pm

Wishing you a full and speedy recovery Liam. I listened to your commentary on Darlo Fans Radio and you sounded like a fun and intelligent fella with a lot to give. Your performances on the pitch haven’t been bad either ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beano

Post by Beano » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:41 pm

It would be nice if we could sing his name to show him our support at the next game - love Mr Q's idea.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:00 am

Liam you'll be a big loss to the team. But the most important thing is that you get better. All the best and I hope things go well for you.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:31 pm

Nice to see attitudes have changed massively towards Hughes now.
Its not so long ago that even though his previous problems were made public, he was still getting all the abuse going from certain quarters. Now hes viewed as a key part of the team the same people are showing support towards him, which is a good thing.

murtonquaker
Team Supported: Mighty Darlo

Post by murtonquaker » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:04 pm

AndyPark wrote:Our very own Mr Q, David Forster has come up with a belting idea.

Beano wrote:It would be nice if we could sing his name to show him our support at the next game - love Mr Q's idea.
Thank you

I suffer Mental Health Problems myself and have made no secret about it in the last 9 month's, when Liam signed, I read the interview he gave to the NLP a few Month prior and it really made me open my mind about Mental Health, I have suffered since I was 9, I'm now 36 and when I look back, despite constant denial, it has hit me brutally, so seeing what Liam Hughes said really hit me and I used it to get further help, I am now getting help and I am involved with a group in Shildon who work with men with Mental Health.

But yeah, chanting his name in the 5th Minute was the first thing that came to mind when it comes to showing support and solidarity, if we can get DFR to pick up on it or at least mention it, and if Liam happens to be listening, he can see just what he means to us.

If it comes to it, I will come for the 5th minute, get in front of the shed and lead the chanting of his name.

I want to finish by saying, I hope he gets better soon and comes back only when he feels ready to return

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:22 pm

Great post from Murton. It would be good if Liam could read this thread to see how much people think of him. From my own experience I can tell him that this is very treatable and he can get better. All the best.

murtonquaker
Team Supported: Mighty Darlo

Post by murtonquaker » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:16 pm

Wiseacre wrote:Great post from Murton. It would be good if Liam could read this thread to see how much people think of him. From my own experience I can tell him that this is very treatable and he can get better. All the best.
The hardest part with Mental Health, I have found, in men, is accepting, admitting it, asking for help and embracing, we unfortunately live in a society where it is still something of a taboo, when it really should not be. I decided to embrace it after 27 years of fighting it, and found myself a good support circle because of that acceptance

The statistics for young men committing suicide is absolutely shocking, about 75% of Suicides in this Country are Young Men and although it can't be proved, somebody told me a lot more suicides may be covered up by ruling a death by misadventure.

Mental Health is very treatable, with the right therapy and getting the right diagnosis as quickly as possible, in my case I am still undiagnosed to a certain point, despite Psychiatrists trying since I was 14 to diagnose Me, I have been diagnosed with ADHD and was medicated for that at 14, then was taking off that medication a few months later without explanation, at 20 I was diagnosed Bi-Polar, then at 25, it was changed to Emotionally Unstable Personality Disorder which was ratified in 2017, but in the middle of last year, I saw a Psychiatrist in Spennymoor who decided to look at possibly diagnosing Adult ADHD, which I am still waiting for an assessment for, I went on the waiting list back in May last year, still waiting for that assessment and probably won't get assessed before this summer.

The good thing is, Liam has accepted it and embraced it and I respect him for that

Bandera

Post by Bandera » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:19 pm

I met Liam on a recent visit, he was an absolute good guy & a pleasure to meet. Very friendly & appreciates what the fans do for the club.
We all hope he gets himself back to playing when he is ready & enjoying his game again. He is needed.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:20 pm

murtonquaker wrote:
Wiseacre wrote:Great post from Murton. It would be good if Liam could read this thread to see how much people think of him. From my own experience I can tell him that this is very treatable and he can get better. All the best.
The hardest part with Mental Health, I have found, in men, is accepting, admitting it, asking for help and embracing, we unfortunately live in a society where it is still something of a taboo, when it really should not be. I decided to embrace it after 27 years of fighting it, and found myself a good support circle because of that acceptance

The statistics for young men committing suicide is absolutely shocking, about 75% of Suicides in this Country are Young Men and although it can't be proved, somebody told me a lot more suicides may be covered up by ruling a death by misadventure.

Mental Health is very treatable, with the right therapy and getting the right diagnosis as quickly as possible, in my case I am still undiagnosed to a certain point, despite Psychiatrists trying since I was 14 to diagnose Me, I have been diagnosed with ADHD and was medicated for that at 14, then was taking off that medication a few months later without explanation, at 20 I was diagnosed Bi-Polar, then at 25, it was changed to Emotionally Unstable Personality Disorder which was ratified in 2017, but in the middle of last year, I saw a Psychiatrist in Spennymoor who decided to look at possibly diagnosing Adult ADHD, which I am still waiting for an assessment for, I went on the waiting list back in May last year, still waiting for that assessment and probably won't get assessed before this summer.

The good thing is, Liam has accepted it and embraced it and I respect him for that

Mental Health is not all that different to physical health at the end of the day. Everyone has it - some have good mental health, some do not. Most are probably somewhere in between depending on loads of factors - some which we can control and others we can not.

Great that it's becoming much more acceptable to admit when you're suffering from poor mental health rather than covering it up because you think it's a weakness. Imagine if people did that with physical health rather than seeking treatment for whatever ailments they had. People would be dying of perfectly treatable conditions.....

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Darlo Dodger

Post by Darlo Dodger » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:50 pm

Further update from Liam Hughes & the club via The Northern Echo.

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/ ... am-hughes/

All the best to Liam for successful treatment and a good recovery.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:34 pm

Darlo Dodger wrote:Further update from Liam Hughes & the club via The Northern Echo.

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/ ... am-hughes/

All the best to Liam for successful treatment and a good recovery.
That's a real shame. There was an article in October saying he'd been clean of drink and drugs for almost a year, must have had a relapse. It's a very difficult process.