Alfreton away

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

don'tbuythesun
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Alfreton away

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:23 pm

Well, considering they're amateurs they do a pretty decent job of it and are listened to by hundreds of us. They have some decent guests on and can be quite humorous. I'd struggle big time if I gave it a go...they're a lifeline for many, so ignore the negativity lads and keep up the good work!
In relation to Twitter, Simon looks to be trying to improve things but says it will take time, encouraging people to contact him....see his Twitter feed.

50 years

Post by 50 years » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:56 pm

I go to most home and away games so don't listen often, but on the odd occasion I have listened I was quite impressed with the guy's doing commentry to be honest. Thought they did a good job and as good as some of the professional broadcasts I have heard from lower league games.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:39 pm

It's a personal opinion I don't like listening to 5 Live commentary or talk sport , Like i said it's not a personal attack I just don't like it not everyone has to agree to like it because it's a voluntarily post..

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:26 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:It's a personal opinion I don't like listening to 5 Live commentary or talk sport , Like i said it's not a personal attack I just don't like it not everyone has to agree to like it because it's a voluntarily post..
Likewise, credit to them for providing the service. But personally, I haven’t listened to it in years. It’s horrifically bad to listen to.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:49 pm

AndyPark wrote:
HarrytheQuaker wrote:It's a personal opinion I don't like listening to 5 Live commentary or talk sport , Like i said it's not a personal attack I just don't like it not everyone has to agree to like it because it's a voluntarily post..
Likewise, credit to them for providing the service. But personally, I haven’t listened to it in years. It’s horrifically bad to listen to.
Agreed Harry a well made point. Andy on the other hand...

Why bother twisting the knife? you've said you don't listen to it a number of posts earlier. Great for you. But you continue to talk down the quality of a free service offered by committed volunteers. Can't make many games due to location and work so rely greatly on the service DFR and Kev offer. They're a credit to the club and kudos to them for taking the initiative to provide their services. Look forward to supporting your next walk Andy :thumbup:

Earl_Lee_Dawes

Post by Earl_Lee_Dawes » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:52 pm

AndyPark wrote:
If you haven't listened to it for years, how can you say it is horrifically bad to listen to? For exiles and when you can't get to a game it's pretty good, especially when they have a good guest commentator e.g. Liam Hughes a few weeks ago.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:03 pm

Having opinions is great but commentating is a lot harder than people think. I only tend to listen once a year when I’m on holiday as tend to have games myself the rest of the time and I don’t find it unlistenable to. I dunno who the volunteer is who does it but if he has aspirations in media / radio wouldn’t it be great if tried to get him some actual training / professional support with it...if he’s not bothered then I think if you don’t like it don’t listen.

Beano

Post by Beano » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:11 pm

The radio is a lifeline for the exiled Darlo fans, run by lads who are giving a service to the club free of charge; a service that promotes the club and its fans in a very positive light.

As fellow fans I don’t get the need to knock each other. Ironically, at York, one of the critics could be found standing behind our own goalkeeper shouting ‘get out of my club’.
Last edited by Beano on Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bga

Post by bga » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:35 pm

AndyPark wrote:
Andy is right...…………….250,000 listeners are WRONG! I think it is a great service particularly for Exiles. Although I don't sign in when I listen, I notice that a number around the World do, and have a bit of banter with each other which is great to see.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:53 pm

Beano wrote:As fellow fans I don’t get the need to knock each other. Ironically, at York, one of the critics could be found standing behind our own goalkeeper shouting ‘get our my club’.

Was he really shouting that? Or was he trying to shout "get out my club" but couldn't get the diction right?

Anyway, the radio broadcasts are good, they're a bit funny, and a bit loose but that's okay for the level we're at, some people are just too picky.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:19 pm

How things have changed.

I remember back in the 70's and 80's it would be amazing if radio tees covered a darlo game.

Even with sotnick and the 'rich' owners we had the coverage of the matches was crap.

Now we have Twitter, live chuffing commentary - of not division 4 games but one below the conference level! - AND video highlights of the games.

And it's all done for free.

Unbelievable. No pleasing some people.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:15 pm

I do love some of the people on here ffs :lol: :lol: :lol:

jonn

Post by jonn » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:44 pm

I'd like to add my voice to those praising the commentaries - excellent for an amateur operation by volunteers. Commentating is a damn sight more difficult than you think until you've tried it. If you don't like it, don't listen - but there are many of us who greatly appreciate the live coverage. Keep it going, lads.

jonn

Post by jonn » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:44 pm

I'd like to add my voice to those praising the commentaries - excellent for an amateur operation by volunteers. Commentating is a damn sight more difficult than you think until you've tried it. If you don't like it, don't listen - but there are many of us who greatly appreciate the live coverage. Keep it going, lads.

jonn

Post by jonn » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:45 pm

jonn

Post by jonn » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:46 pm

Apologies for the multiple posting - no idea how that happened!

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:06 pm

The body search must have been poor if he took a club into the ground. Everyone's entitled to an opinion, especially when they express their love for others but Andy, sometimes FFS.
Jonn, think you can go back to your message and there's a X that lets you delete it.

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:11 pm

AndyPark wrote:I do love some of the people on here ffs :lol: :lol: :lol:
So you'd prefer an almost media blackout Andy?

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:34 am

Comfortably_numb wrote:
AndyPark wrote:I do love some of the people on here ffs Image Image Image
Stop being stupid and grow up.

The commentary was raised on the thread, Andy and others said they weren't fans of it as they're entitled to do so. It's just an opinion.

The overreaction and butthurt from others is hilarious. Just because people are volunteers doesn't mean everything they do is wonderful. Demanding silence if an opinion isn't positive is a bit pathetic.

I've listened a few times this season. It's fine for me although there's one commentator who's utter dogshit. "Pumped it long" anyone?
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

50 years

Post by 50 years » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:54 am

Couldn't make the game on Saturday as commitment to afternoon booze up / meal with a group of friends from Newcastle, Hartlepool, Leeds and York, (clearly I am not committed to the cause when beer is on offer ;) ). So just watched the highlights and there was some excellent movement off the ball, guy's look like they are getting their confidence back and willing to run for each other. That movement off the ball was sadly missing earlier in the season, so looking forward to the rest of the season if we can play like that. Game against Spennymoor in the form they are currently in will be a hard test, but confident we can give them a good game and hopefully three points :thumbup: .

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:16 am

HE SHOOTS..............................................................................AHHHHH!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:40 am

DFR is invaluable for those games which I can't make, and on the whole I personally think the commentary is good. I listened to some 5 live yesterday, and some of the same criticisms people have for DFR could have been applied to 5 live at times!

en passant

Post by en passant » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:29 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Comfortably_numb wrote:

The commentary was raised on the thread, Andy and others said they weren't fans of it as they're entitled to do so. It's just an opinion.

The overreaction and butthurt from others is hilarious. Just because people are volunteers doesn't mean everything they do is wonderful. Demanding silence if an opinion isn't positive is a bit pathetic.

I've listened a few times this season. It's fine for me although there's one commentator who's utter dogshit. "Pumped it long" anyone?
Now this has inspired an idea. DG would be great for the radio as a second commentator, not just offering a gritty analysis of what is happening on the pitch, but also telling the other presenter where he is going wrong and keeping the broadcast on point.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:57 am

I'd be fantastic. And universally popular as well I'm sure :lol:

en passant

Post by en passant » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:00 am

Darlogramps wrote:I'd be fantastic. And universally popular as well I'm sure :lol:
Good on you Gramps. Looking forward to your debut.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:03 am

And it's apparently okay to call people stupid when they're having banter. I think Andy's quite thick skinned-he proved that on the Chorley terraces! People are rightly being positive about dfr, a volunteer radio service that you can switch off. Hardly butthurt and overreaction, just defending their service to the fans which appears in the main to be positive and much appreciated.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:17 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Comfortably_numb wrote:

"And it's pumped long, and....oooooh, and he....ooooooooooooooooh...is that a...? Oh no, it isn't...HARVEY GETS TO THE BYLINE!! AND IT'S AAAAAAAAAAAAH...corner to the other team" (eh, WTF? how?).

"He pumps it long and...ooooooh...and...oooooooooooooooooooh...is that a yellow? Was Thompson I think, no it was Harvey. Oh no it wasn't a yellow. Oh yes it was, was it? And Birmingham City are now 3-1 up against... AND IT'S IN!!! Terrible mistake by the keeper" (And just as you're cheering he says "1-0 to them") :lol:

I find it difficult to follow what is going on TBH, and he needs to get more phrases than the over used "pumped it long" - although I find myself laughing at it now, rather than being annoyed by it.

But the guy is passionate and enthusiastic, and his commentary when we score sort of makes up for shortcomings in other areas.
Last edited by Ghost_Of_1883 on Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:19 am

Very unlucky not to win this, based on the highlights.

I occasionally tune in to DFR, but not this weekend. It's not perfect, but who is expecting perfection? It's some fans relaying what is going on to other fans who can't be there. We're exceptionally lucky to have such committed volunteers, and you can't expect high level professionalism. Some are perhaps spoiled by the phenomenal highlights put together, which i think beats that of some top professional league clubs.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:21 am

don'tbuythesun wrote:And it's apparently okay to call people stupid when they're having banter. I think Andy's quite thick skinned-he proved that on the Chorley terraces! People are rightly being positive about dfr, a volunteer radio service that you can switch off. Hardly butthurt and overreaction, just defending their service to the fans which appears in the main to be positive and much appreciated.
Well it's OK to joke about mental health on here, so I think saying someone's post is being stupid is fair game (note - I didn't say ComfortablyNumb himself was stupid, just his post).

There's no need to "defend" DFR. Everyone appreciates the service they offer and no one is expecting perfection, but people can have an opinion on the commentary, be that positive or negative. The overly sensitive reaction to people who've expressed a negative opinion is over the top.

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:19 pm

er - grow up? I don't get that. my point was more we're way better off now in terms of coverage compared to previous decades.

Media blackout - a poor choice of words - I guess its more a case of if you don't like the coverage don't listen.