Harvey Saunders Departs

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

AndyPark
Team Supported: Darlington

Harvey Saunders Departs

Post by AndyPark » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:34 pm

Joins Fleetwood for an undisclosed fee, but comes back to Darlington on loan for the rest of the season :clap: :clap:

https://darlingtonfc.co.uk/news/harvey- ... -fleetwood

sue_donym

Re: Harvey Saunders Departs

Post by sue_donym » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:45 pm

Fairy ply to him he's definitely markedly improved. Needs to become a slightly more refined player in terms of his technique and first touch, and his movement could use work, but given his pace and work rate can see him making it higher up. Glad we're keeping him for the season as lord knows where we'd be otherwise.

bga

Post by bga » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:49 pm

A good move for him and good he is back on loan. Rightly so Fleetwood will want to manage his game time I guess, so I wonder if he will be available for the "Derby" next week? If not TW May have to select Burn at the back and play Ainge up front unless he is going to blood the kids?

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:54 pm

Great news for Harvey S :clap:

But it seems that if your surname begins with S and you can score a goal then you’ll be sold - that’s three out this season.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

divas

Post by divas » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:54 pm

Great move for the lad, he’s improved massively this season under some good tutelage from Tommy who must take a lot of credit for his development. Let’s hope he turns out to be the next Jamie Vardy and nets us a lot of cash.

I’d really like to see us try and bring in anothet young local forward and try to develop him. There must be someone in the northern league surely.

bga

Post by bga » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:55 pm

No doubt he will learn some Man Management skills from Joey Barton also!

divas

Post by divas » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:00 pm

He’ll be training with Fleetwood full time during the week so hopefully he’ll improve further and score a few more for us this season

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:05 pm

Great move for Harvey - the opportunity to train full time should do wonders for him as a player. He deserves his chance for the huge development he's shown this season.

Good news financially for the club too - and let's hope the clauses prove profitable. I'm glad we've got him for the rest of the season as we would be looking a bit thin up top without him!

holmesdale

Post by holmesdale » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:14 pm

Really pleased for Harvey and I expect this will be a shrewd deal for the club, hopefully with some incentives for us (a player or two on loan)as well as a decent cash sum.

Realistically we need to develop, grow and be prepared to sell on talent and Harvey looks to have the pace, poise and finishing. We also though, need to see more raw material 'in' to make this a business model we can work with.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:17 pm

Huge credit to the lad. He's done very well for himself, and he deserves his shot at full time football. I hope we've gotten a good fee for him, and that we might look to re-invest that sooner rather than later.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:37 pm

Well done to him on getting a dream move to the Football League. If he continues to develop the way he has done this season, he can carve out a good career in the pro game and maybe we will benefit further through sell-ons, you never know. Amazing the way things work out as I think he was turning out for the Grey Horse in the Darlo Sunday League just a few years back. It shows what you can achieve if you get your head down, work hard and give your all and it sends a good message to other young ambitious players with regards to our club.

Great that he'll be with us until the end of the season and it will offer plenty of time to look at potential replacements. Maybe someone like Michael Sweet at Consett, 21 goals in 31 this season and 43 goals last season when he was Northern League Young Player of the Year for the second time.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:41 pm

Good news for Saunders and us. Some credit to Tommy Wright as well for giving him opportunities and developing him also in the past year.

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:58 pm

lo36789 wrote:Good news for Saunders and us. Some credit to Tommy Wright as well for giving him opportunities and developing him also in the past year.
Definitely credit to Tommy Wright who has taken some severe criticism on this forum lately, including me.
Developing players and selling them on is our best hope to survive and flourish.

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:01 pm

A good move for Harvey he deserves it. Glad he staying until the end of the season particularly if the Barnsley lads go.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:29 pm

Great move all round. Well done Saunders.

Hopefully there's resale potential if he does well - I wonder if the decision to get him on a new contract a month or two back was because of interest from League clubs? If so, shrewd business by DJ and co.

As above, and as has been said over the last few years, developing and selling on players in one of the only ways a fan owned club can really prosper, and we've made a good start with Heaton, Saunders, and I guess you might say Ferguson before that.

If we can manage to churn out a couple of these a season it'll help the finances no end and maybe one of them does go on to be a Smalling or Vardy and make us some serious cash - seems more likely than a Cup run at the moment!!!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:36 pm

holmesdale wrote:Really pleased for Harvey and I expect this will be a shrewd deal for the club, hopefully with some incentives for us (a player or two on loan)as well as a decent cash sum.

Realistically we need to develop, grow and be prepared to sell on talent and Harvey looks to have the pace, poise and finishing. We also though, need to see more raw material 'in' to make this a business model we can work with.
If so hoping its the right sided midfield/forward that played against us for Chorley mid week last season, cant recall his name but he took us apart.

Probably in their first team now.

divas

Post by divas » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:50 pm

Haughton - He’s at Fylde via Salford.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:59 pm

Good job by DJ to have the lad sign a full contract with us last year else we would be shafted. Harvey has matured and improved over the last 6 months & deserves his chance of a pro career. Hopefully the fee will stabilise our club's finances and that other young players will appreciate that Darlington FC can be the first rung on the ladder, hence be more willing to come to us initially.

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:48 am

Well done to the lad and the club. Plus the loan back means I do not have to find a replacement nominated goalscorer until the close season. Been thinking about stopping nominations, as it seemed that every time I nominated someone, they were gone three weeks later. :roll:

MikeinBlack2

Post by MikeinBlack2 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:08 am

bga wrote:A good move for him and good he is back on loan. Rightly so Fleetwood will want to manage his game time I guess, so I wonder if he will be available for the "Derby" next week? If not TW May have to select Burn at the back and play Ainge up front unless he is going to blood the kids?
I think it was said that he would stay with us this season in order to continue his development, which to me reads that Tommy can play him when he sees fit. However I would be surprised if Fleetwood don't have an injury clause in the contract meaning that they won't take him unless fit.
Come on Darlo!
Smoke me a kipper....I'll be back for breakfast!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:29 am

Great news for Harvey. I must admit that last season I wasn't one of his biggest fans, But this season his development has been far better. Credit to the club and Tommy for getting this deal through and playing him for the rest of the season will give Tommy plenty of time to come up with a suitable replacement.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:39 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:Great news for Harvey. I must admit that last season I wasn't one of his biggest fans, But this season his development has been far better. Credit to the club and Tommy for getting this deal through and playing him for the rest of the season will give Tommy plenty of time to come up with a suitable replacement.
That's why I bang on about people given time and NOT getting on there backs after a bad game..IE Liam Hughes for example people wanted him hung drawn and quartered start of the season now look at him (obviously not his current situation)..
And I agree Pete I wasn't sure about Harvey but his progression this season has been great to seeImage

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:34 pm

MikeinBlack2 wrote:
bga wrote:A good move for him and good he is back on loan. Rightly so Fleetwood will want to manage his game time I guess, so I wonder if he will be available for the "Derby" next week? If not TW May have to select Burn at the back and play Ainge up front unless he is going to blood the kids?
I think it was said that he would stay with us this season in order to continue his development, which to me reads that Tommy can play him when he sees fit. However I would be surprised if Fleetwood don't have an injury clause in the contract meaning that they won't take him unless fit.
They’ve already taken him. He has been sold. He is a Fleetwood player with a registration with Fleetwood but subsequently loaned to Darlington.

If he gets injured and they choose to release him then I guess they could but they would have to pay up his contract.

bga

Post by bga » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:41 pm

Whilst I think he has developed a lot this season does anyone else agree with me that he's either stagnated or gone backwards since he signed for Fleetwood? Certainly we can't claim to have developed him further in my view which was part of the loan deal.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:43 pm

I think he has taken a backward step since he signed for Fleetwood.

Darlo_CR

Post by Darlo_CR » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:49 pm

I think it may have a lot to do with not wanting to get injured and hinder his chances for next season?

bga

Post by bga » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:57 pm

Darlo_CR wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:49 pm
I think it may have a lot to do with not wanting to get injured and hinder his chances for next season?
I think he always gives 100% but has faded a bit.

dsr

Post by dsr » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:24 am

I would suggest that the increasing lack of support around him has something to do with it. A fast run, win the ball, look to someone to pass to and find nobody can hardly encourage.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:54 am

Darlo_CR wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:49 pm

Agreed!
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:45 am

Really? Can't say I've seen him pull out of anything.