Liam Hughes

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

AndyPark
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Liam Hughes

Post by AndyPark » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:42 am

Just to make people aware, me and Tim Hickman have knocked up 300 flyers (maybe more) to be placed on the seats at the ground and for us to hand out before the game.

The signs are double sided and show:
- #ItsOkayNotToBeOkay alongside a Darlo badge.
- A list of useful numbers for people to use if they are struggling.

The plan is for people to hold these up before the game and show some support not only to Liam Hughes, but to others who could well be suffering too.

We are also looking into holding a bucket collection before the game to raise money for Darlington Mind and the Sporting Chance Clinic.

I'm just waiting on a response from the club to get the go ahead for this.

All support would be great for this.

Thanks guys :thumbup:

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:59 am

I hope he is able to sort things out and get back to training and playing as soon as possible, which is probably good therapy in itself. It's clearly a difficult situation for him and it is also a difficult situation for the club which has lost a valuable member of the squad when it is operating under tight financial constraints and with a very small squad.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:22 am

AndyPark wrote:Just to make people aware, me and Tim Hickman have knocked up 300 flyers (maybe more) to be placed on the seats at the ground and for us to hand out before the game.

The plan is for people to hold these up before the game and show some support not only to Liam Hughes, but to others who could well be suffering too.

We are also looking into holding a bucket collection before the game to raise money for Darlington Mind and the Sporting Chance Clinic.

Andy - great initiative and well done on your work.

I am sure that Spennymoor fans would equally show their support if an attempt was made to include them. Mental Health issues are not football club related but affect us all.

Perhaps some explanation / flyers could be distributed to them/ or even a post on the Spennymoor Town Unofficial Fans Forum on FB

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:26 am

spen666 wrote:
AndyPark wrote:Just to make people aware, me and Tim Hickman have knocked up 300 flyers (maybe more) to be placed on the seats at the ground and for us to hand out before the game.

I am sure that Spennymoor fans would equally show their support if an attempt was made to include them. Mental Health issues are not football club related but affect us all.

Perhaps some explanation / flyers could be distributed to them/ or even a post on the Spennymoor Town Unofficial Fans Forum on FB
We intend to have some banners at the turnstiles for Spennymoor fans to hold up aswell if they wish to.

We also intend to have someone in the away with a bucket. If you could feed this across to your fans, that would be great :thumbup:

divas

Post by divas » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:35 am

LoidLucan wrote:I hope he is able to sort things out and get back to training and playing as soon as possible, which is probably good therapy in itself. It's clearly a difficult situation for him and it is also a difficult situation for the club which has lost a valuable member of the squad when it is operating under tight financial constraints and with a very small squad.
It was very interesting to hear that this Sporting Chance clinic actually gets the patients in their kit and into the gym etc. so that they can use sport and exercise to help as part of the treatment. There’s a good chance that Liam will return in better shape both mentally and physically

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:51 am

divas wrote:
LoidLucan wrote:I hope he is able to sort things out and get back to training and playing as soon as possible, which is probably good therapy in itself. It's clearly a difficult situation for him and it is also a difficult situation for the club which has lost a valuable member of the squad when it is operating under tight financial constraints and with a very small squad.
It was very interesting to hear that this Sporting Chance clinic actually gets the patients in their kit and into the gym etc. so that they can use sport and exercise to help as part of the treatment. There’s a good chance that Liam will return in better shape both mentally and physically
This is the place that Tony Adams set up isn't it?
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Bandera

Post by Bandera » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:08 pm

Yes it is Spyman.

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:48 pm

well done Andy and Tim - hope you get the thumbs up from the club

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:09 pm

We've got the go ahead from the club, flyers will be handed out on arrival at the turnstiles in both the home and away ends and upstairs in hospitality.

So for anyone who has the flyer on their seat or is handed one, please raise this in the air to show the #ItsOkayNotToBeOkay sign - We expect to get some good coverage of this from the photographers and possibly Kev. We want this to have good outreach to help people far and wide however we can.

Bucket collections will be in the home and away end, please give generously.

Me & Tim will be walking round the ground at HT with the bucket to collect anymore possible donations for the named charities.

There will be a story on the website tomorrow, please share via social media too guys when it comes out. The more people who RT/share the article. The better chance we have it can reach others.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:08 pm

Good work Andy and Tim :clap:

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:34 pm

Well done Andy, Tim and David.

Also worth mentioning https://www.thecalmzone.net/

Another campaign set up to get men talking about depression, anxiety etc.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Henley

Post by Henley » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:08 pm

AndyPark wrote:Good luck in your recovery Liam, as someone who suffered bad with Mental Health a few years ago, I know how tough it is.

But you've got everyone at Darlington FC. One day at a time mate :thumbup:
I didn’t know this about you, Andy.

Delighted you’ve come through it - I’ve always respected you for what you’ve done for the club and your resilience following the abuse you got from people on here and those bottom-feeders in Codsville.

Top Man - keep it going.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:04 pm

Well done you two, the club and everyone supporting these efforts!

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:07 pm

Henley wrote:
AndyPark wrote:Good luck in your recovery Liam, as someone who suffered bad with Mental Health a few years ago, I know how tough it is.

Delighted you’ve come through it - I’ve always respected you for what you’ve done for the club and your resilience following the abuse you got from people on here and those bottom-feeders in Codsville.

Top Man - keep it going.
Aye it’s something I’m not ashamed to say I have been through, I was voluntarily sectioned about 18 months ago and to be honest, that was the best thing that could have happened to me as I was all over at the time with my thoughts etc.

I’m now in a great place going forward with a fantastic support network and these days I always look to give something back, especially to those that need the support and help, so where I can.. I offer my assistance.

If anyone reads this and needs a chat. You can always speak to me in full confidence and I’ll help guide you in the right direction where possible.

See you all Saturday :thumbup:

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:30 am

AndyPark wrote:
Henley wrote:

Top Man - keep it going.
Aye it’s something I’m not ashamed to say I have been through, I was voluntarily sectioned about 18 months ago and to be honest, that was the best thing that could have happened to me as I was all over at the time with my thoughts etc.

I’m now in a great place going forward with a fantastic support network and these days I always look to give something back, especially to those that need the support and help, so where I can.. I offer my assistance.

If anyone reads this and needs a chat. You can always speak to me in full confidence and I’ll help guide you in the right direction where possible.

See you all Saturday :thumbup:
Respect.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:10 pm

Fair play to Andy and Tim for getting this off the ground.

I've known people who've suffered with mental health issues and it really is horrendous for those involved. I'm delighted the club are putting on a show of support for Liam, but also raising awareness of the issue more generally.

There are still people who are ignorant of this and think it's something that can be laughed at. But attitudes do seem to be changing and the club are doing an excellent job with this.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:14 pm

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:15 pm

Great work Andy and co. I know that the Echo says that Liam is aware of your efforts and what is being posted online. I'm sure it will encourage him to come back stronger than before.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:14 pm

AndyPark wrote:
spen666 wrote:....

We intend to have some banners at the turnstiles for Spennymoor fans to hold up aswell if they wish to.

We also intend to have someone in the away with a bucket. If you could feed this across to your fans, that would be great :thumbup:

Have tweeted this on my @spen_666 twitter account tagging in both Darlington & Spennymoor Football Clubs and included the link to the Darlington announcement.

Hopefully the message will get out there.

Might help get message out there if you or others on twitter mention it tagging in both clubs to get widest possible attention

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:46 pm

This is a really good positive connection for fans and club. Liam hope you're soon wearing the team shirt again, you will come out of this keep positive young man.,

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:02 pm

I’ve got around 1000 flyers at my house now that are to be distributed at the game tomorrow. I’m expected to pick up more tomorrow.

So please take one when you come through the turnstiles & hold onto it till the game starts, then hold on to it till the 5th minute and then hold it up in the air and show the support for everyone who’s suffering whilst chanting Liam Hughes’s name
Last edited by AndyPark on Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:23 pm

AndyPark wrote:I’ve got around 1000 flyers at my house now that are to be distributed at the game tomorrow. I’m expected to pick up more tomorrow.

So please take one when you come through the turnstiles & hold onto it till the game starts, then hold it up in the air and show the support for everyone who’s suffering.
Well done Andy you will probably only need about 250 for the Spendmore fansImage But its a great thing you and Tim are doing

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:31 pm

Well done Andy on organising this, fantastic response from both sets of fans on the 5th minute. you must be proud of what you achieved and I'm sure Liam will be chuffed at the support he received.