Darlington V Spennymoor

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

50 years
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Spennymoor

Post by 50 years » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:41 pm

Thought we played well, played some nice football, and we were strong in defence, neither team created many chances (although in the second half we did have a few saved by there keeper where Maddison did not have one to save from open play). We matched a team that is 4th in the league and second highest scoring team in the league!

Was surprised by the size of some of their players both Ainge and Galbraith were often looking up at them, (saying that they controlled them well).

I felt at half time, that they would be told to come out the second half and go for free kicks near the box given the way the referee was in the first half, and so it happened.

The whole team ran there socks off, and some looked out of it in the last 10-15 mins, especially Thommo but they kept going.

If we play like this the rest of the season I will certainly be happy.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:43 pm

LoidLucan wrote:We have got a more solid and organised look about us now. I think if we had been playing anything like we are now then it would have been three points against sides like Nuneaton and Hereford. I think today's performance would have been enough to see them off.
We need to keep that going.

Even though we lost, we were in the game and the players all put a shift in and played decent enough.

As you say if we played like that earlier in the season we would have more points. The only thing now is to keep it going and pick up further points asap, get the Pools Reserve game out of the way then we need to pick something up at Curzon Ashton next week who have jumped ahead us and won 4 games on the run.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:47 pm

Oh God, not the dreaded Curzon 'We've got a spell on you' Ashton.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:49 pm

They've won four in a row as well

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:55 pm

Let's hope we have a striker in for next weekend. No options other than putting up Ainge. Saunders does not look like scoring.

divas

Post by divas » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:21 pm

quakerste wrote:Let's hope we have a striker in for next weekend. No options other than putting up Ainge. Saunders does not look like scoring.
Saunders looks so much better alongside a proper striker. I’m sure we’ll have someone in by the end of the window

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:27 pm

Perhaps Spendy could help out. They seem to have four or five spare that they hardly use.

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by grimsbyquaker » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:32 pm

What happens if/when Spennymoor get into the playoffs? Will they field a weakened team so as to get knocked out? Brad Groves must wake up in a cold sweat thinking about how to fund a Conference campaign

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:42 pm

grimsbyquaker wrote:What happens if/when Spennymoor get into the playoffs? Will they field a weakened team so as to get knocked out? Brad Groves must wake up in a cold sweat thinking about how to fund a Conference campaign
Really think this is their level Nick, that away end should have been bursting at the seams with the free buses laid on but reckon they only had about 300.Imagine if we were challenging ,we would have taken 1200 up there ....that is the difference between the 2 clubs.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

DL5

Post by DL5 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:44 pm

grimsbyquaker wrote:What happens if/when Spennymoor get into the playoffs? Will they field a weakened team so as to get knocked out? Brad Groves must wake up in a cold sweat thinking about how to fund a Conference campaign
North Ferriby springs to mind, heading for the 8th Tier now

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:45 pm

I bet he doesn't.

Spennymoor will make the play-offs and I guess have a 1 in 6 chance of promotion at the point. Presume Groves will have a choice of increasing what he puts in or see if Ainsley can produce on one of the smaller budgets in the Nat League. Similar problems we would face only Groves probably has more ability at raising extra finances.

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:47 pm

[Really think this is their level Nick, that away end should have been bursting at the seams with the free buses laid on but reckon they only had about 300.Imagine if we were challenging ,we would have taken 1200 up there ....that is the difference between the 2 clubs.[/quote][quote][/quote]

I think you got the 2 and 1 the wrong way round we would have taken 2100.

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by grimsbyquaker » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:11 pm

Havant and Waterlooville, Eastleigh, Ebbsfleet away on a Tuesday night? That’s not possible with a p/t squad?

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:35 pm

grimsbyquaker wrote:Havant and Waterlooville, Eastleigh, Ebbsfleet away on a Tuesday night? That’s not possible with a p/t squad?
Why??? They get players in that can commit to the traveling simple really

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:10 pm

I don't see why that isn't possible. Presumably it would replace a training night. Obviously it involves a bit more travel, but those games being midweek would be rare. You'd have one, maybe two a season.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:36 am

No complaints about performance today. Done by two good free kicks. We limited them to no chances from open play. Signs we are heading in the right direction.

Hope Spenny go up for Brad Groves. The man has backed his local side, and I've no doubt would again. A lot of the green eyed monster about. Came out of the ground with three blokes in front of me banging on about what a disgrace it was that Spenny could have that level of funding and we couldn't with our 'massive" crowds. Let's not pretend we wouldnt all have loved it if Brad had been a Darlo fan. If you really think they would be the next North Ferriby, I think you will be proved wrong.

Same three were also banging on about how Wheatley and Elliott weren't good enough in centre midfield, despite them more than matching a very decent opposition midfield. Sometimes I despair of our fans. Saunders getting criticism above. He got no service. Watch his game. The number of intelligent runs he makes where he doesn't get the ball is staggering. Thankfully EFL scouts are a bit more knowledgeable.

50 years

Post by 50 years » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:45 pm

Fully agree with Harry C. Thought Wheatley had a great game and Elliott put in a workman like performance. Saunders was given no service and not played to his strengths.
Fair call on Spennymoor too as there chairman Brad is a great supporter of his club and backed it with money, (which he has a fair bit to be honest) and has developed the off site revenue streams as well, so deserves some success.

We don't have that as a fan owned club but we have over the last few years started moving in the right direction with DJ in charge and who knows in a few years we may have funds behind us to have a serious promotion push and maintain ourselves in the conference ( but it will be difficult).

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:16 pm

And hasn't Brad said he is doubling the money raised by Andy and Tim??

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:29 pm

grimsbyquaker wrote:Havant and Waterlooville, Eastleigh, Ebbsfleet away on a Tuesday night? That’s not possible with a p/t squad?
Everything is possible with a part time squad when part time players are earning 5-6-700 a week. They can just play football if they want to.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:36 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Everything is possible with a part time squad when part time players are earning 5-6-700 a week. They can just play football if they want to.
One problem Spendy might have is Ainsley's job as a teacher will probably mean he would miss games.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:16 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:And hasn't Brad said he is doubling the money raised by Andy and Tim??

Yes he is mate!

Darlo_CR

Post by Darlo_CR » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:17 pm

As much as Spennymoor are a very good team, they still haven’t had their winter break yet so it’ll be interesting to see how they cope with two games a week towards the end of the season.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:20 pm

Darlo players obviously saving some effort for the big derby game on Tuesday ;) :? :lol:

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:42 pm

Grimsby, Torquay are top of the south table...you never know!

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:43 pm

AndyPark wrote:
HarrytheQuaker wrote:And hasn't Brad said he is doubling the money raised by Andy and Tim??

Yes he is mate!
Brilliant effort Andy

Seventynine

Post by Seventynine » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:00 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
plus the fact they cant grow anymore .com ..so what are they supposed to do spen

Seventynine

Post by Seventynine » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:04 pm

i know what ? bulldoze the rest of thorn lighting before housing eats it up ..otherwise your goosed

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:27 pm

loan_star wrote:
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
One problem Spendy might have is Ainsley's job as a teacher will probably mean he would miss games.
I would hazard a guess that if he wanted to, that Ainsley could give up teaching for the remainder of the time that he manages Spenny because surely he will be getting well paid for managing them.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:19 pm

A fair number of people have been saying: "It was never a penalty." Jeez, don't think there has ever been a more blatant one. No wonder no-one on the Spendy side argued.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:57 pm

What about the phantom kickoff? That was strange.

After the Spennymoor players had finished over celebrating their second goal it looked like all their players were behind the halfway line and we kicked off, yet the ref pulled play back.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!