Curzon V Darlington

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

super_les_mcjannet
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Curzon V Darlington

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:10 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
super_les_mcjannet wrote:
grimsbyquaker wrote:Not forgetting that it was Henshall who was playing left wing and not Kokolo who was left back, with Elliott moving into CM with Palmer (Nicholson and Wheatley coming off). Henshall was quality yesterday and his crosses were top notch. If we’re going 442 it’s gotta be. Maddison
Trotman Smith Hughes Kokolo
Thommo Palmer (if he has to play) plus one other (JN, JW, TE) Henshall
Ainge Saunders
I agree somewhat but your stumbling block is Nicholson can’t play in a CM of two, so we would need to drop our leading goal scorer to do this.
Well we could revert back to the 4-5-1 that served us well last season with Ainge as the focal point. Get him in the middle, whip crosses in from both sides, have a deep lying forward/advanced midfielder (Nicholson) doing what Syers used to do. Drop Saunders to the bench, he needs a rest, and he can be brought on as an impact sub for a while.

Maddison

Trotman Smith Galbraith/Huges Kokolo/O'Hanlon

Thompson Elliott Palmer/Wheatley Henshall

Nicholson

Ainge

This formation to me seems obvious, depending on the fitness of Ainge and Henshall
We could although we have struggled with four at he back quite often this season, although we have never tried it with Smith.

I wouldn’t be totally against it, but it’s another change and unknown how we will play. Currently we know we can play ok in the current formation but we are lacking the finishing.

I guess the whole conversation sums up where we are, trying to get more from the group of players we have, which Wright has the same challenge. The beauty for us is our formation/selections don’t really get tested unless they become Wright’s formations/selections.

We have played well in the last so many games and look close to getting those wins/points that move us up, be brave to move away from those current selections other than when behind like yesterday.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:24 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Quakerlad wrote:Calmer waters.....we are still in a relegation battle for goodness sake. Teams below us win their game in hand and the table looks pretty worrying to me still.

Playing well in patches for sure but absolutely no cutting edge since Nelson left. TW for me still not showing he can use the loans that well. Only Smith currently is definitely strengthening the team and the only one even playing regularly. Why Kokolo didn’t play yesterday, who knows. Why have the guy and not play him when your regular wing back is injured. He offers something different which surely is whole idea of loanees!
It’s a good few games now since Nelson last played and we are crying out for a forward.
All this “TW is doing a lot better”. Is he really, same inconsistencies and mysterious decisions for me.
Sorry but this all seems a bit harsh.

We are crying out for a forward. You mean like the one that Wright was forced to sell. You mean like the one he sourced but for pretty obvious reasons couldn’t extend the loan for. You mean like the one he has on trial but will need to prove their worth. You mean like the one we have who was top scorer in the division last season but is forced to play CB because the person who would be centre back is not available.

It’s not through want of trying that we don’t have a goalscorer. If he has managed to get the rest of the team playing well and that is the missing piece then it is harsh to throw blame at him.
Interestingly we're actually the 8th top scorers in the division. Our issue this season has been defending (outside of the bottom three, no one has conceded more than us).

Of course, when you watch the games it's clear to see we need a better outlet up front. From what I've seen of him I'm not convinced Ainge is that at all. All well and good people saying "We signed him as a striker, play him up front". But he's performed better in defence, and looked rather impotent whenever played as a striker this season. Sadly, I think that major injury he suffered a year or two back means he'll never be at the levels he was for Harrogate.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:26 pm

I'm not sure I agree with the overall consensus that Saunders needs a rest. He still looks full of energy to me.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:41 pm

tdk1 wrote:I'm not sure I agree with the overall consensus that Saunders needs a rest. He still looks full of energy to me.
He certainly didn’t need a rest when he turned and went past about 3 Curzon players yesterday and nearly created something.

Saunders has improved massively and his potential with the qualities he has have spotted by Fleetwood and others, however he is work in progress. His energy and pace is not in question, just that experience and consistency of quality which most young players don’t have.

Taking him out of the team, would reduce our teams energy and allow the opposition further up the pitch, reducing space for other players.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:52 pm

everyone poster is a manager in waiting.i have never seen so many combinations for such a small squad.the manager is here to manage he sees the players in training we don't so i guess he has a better idea of what is going on with the players than we would day to day . :roll:
Last edited by onewayup on Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:52 pm

Andy, didn't you notice that large, covered terrace you walked past?!

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:54 pm

don'tbuythesun wrote:Andy, didn't you notice that large, covered terrace you walked past?!
I did, but just thought f*ck it :lol: Made the experience more ‘enjoyable’.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:40 pm

tdk1 wrote:I'm not sure I agree with the overall consensus that Saunders needs a rest. He still looks full of energy to me.
What I mean when I say he "needs a rest" is not really "he needs a rest" if you know what I mean.

Runs around a lot, the end product has disappeared, we never look like scoring, drop him for a while. I was just trying to be kind.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:03 pm

Darlogramps wrote: From what I've seen of him I'm not convinced Ainge is that at all. All well and good people saying "We signed him as a striker, play him up front". But he's performed better in defence, and looked rather impotent whenever played as a striker this season. Sadly, I think that major injury he suffered a year or two back means he'll never be at the levels he was for Harrogate.
You might be right but until he achieves full sharpness and also we play to his strengths we will never really know.

Actually at the start of the season I was fairly impressed with him and could imagine him scoring a few if we started putting quality balls in from wide. What impressed me was his ability to consistently out jump bigger defenders and win headers. Why he was scoring so many at Harrogate was because they were plying him with crosses into the box and he just kept getting his head on the end of them.

The problem here was that at the start of the season when he was up front with Styche, we looked confused on the best way to supply our forwards. Styche likes a ball over the top so he can turn the defender and run at goal, Ainge likes the box to be peppered with crosses for him to feed off - and really we played to neither's strength. We were very narrow at the time and either lumped the ball to straight to Ainge or faffed about trying to walk the ball through the middle

As I said I was impressed with his aerial ability, however he was winning headers in non threatening areas because we were just hoofing at him wherever he was, we were using him more like a target man.

Unfortunately we were only a few matches in when he got that nasty cut which kept him out for a while, then he had to cover in defence, then a bit more time out with a bad back, then back in defence.

It's been very stop start and not at all ideal for him.

Obviously I get why we played him in defence during injury crisis', he was a defender most of his career. And maybe he has played better in defence, but the problem here is financial - we don't have money to sign another striker and he is our striker. We have enough defenders especially if we play 4 at the back, but we're crying out for someone to stick the ball in the net since Nelson left. That's why (disregarding differing opinions on form) we are wasting him in defence.

We should at least give him a run of games up front and see what happens.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:06 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
What I mean when I say he "needs a rest" is not really "he needs a rest" if you know what I mean.

Runs around a lot, the end product has disappeared, we never look like scoring, drop him for a while. I was just trying to be kind.
And if it backfired it would be another stick to beat Wright with unfortunately.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:17 pm

Wright is fucked either way because a lot of fans have made their minds up and would never change them even if he went on to be very successful.

I don't think we would be worse off if we swapped Saunders with Ainge for a few matches, and if we play 4-4-2 or 3-5-2 then you could pair them together and keep all the Harvey lovers happy.

Beano

Post by Beano » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:14 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
The problem here was that at the start of the season when he was up front with Styche, we looked confused on the best way to supply our forwards. Styche likes a ball over the top so he can turn the defender and run at goal, Ainge likes the box to be peppered with crosses for him to feed off - and really we played to neither's strength. We were very narrow at the time and either lumped the ball to straight to Ainge or faffed about trying to walk the ball through the middle
Exactly this.

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:04 am

It was a good game but honestly Curzon and just a team of hoofers and hackers and we are happy with a draw because my god we are in a bloody relegation battle 100%. The thing I noticed Saturday was how many times AW shouted instructions to the defence about shape and positioning, moving across together, midfielders dropping covering etc and Galbraith blaming everyone else for his lack of concentration.
What I can take from it is the players are not learning anything in training. I know we are part time but come on what the hell are TW & AW doing in training and the half time team talks! please stop giving them because we are coming out standing around looking lost or half asleep. Just think what we could do with these players with a half decent manager, a team challenging for promotion and potential investors showing an interest

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:20 pm

Whilst I've always been a fan of 4-4-2, I don't think this would be the best time to switch formations.

I feel like the players are starting to get used to the current formation. Keep the same formation to allow Nicholson and Thompson to have those free roles either side of the main striker. For now this is Harvey, I'm not convinced that Ainge would suit Nicholson or Thompson's style of play

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:49 pm

eddie-rowles wrote:It was a good game but honestly Curzon and just a team of hoofers and hackers and we are happy with a draw because my god we are in a bloody relegation battle 100%. The thing I noticed Saturday was how many times AW shouted instructions to the defence about shape and positioning, moving across together, midfielders dropping covering etc and Galbraith blaming everyone else for his lack of concentration.
What I can take from it is the players are not learning anything in training. I know we are part time but come on what the hell are TW & AW doing in training and the half time team talks! please stop giving them because we are coming out standing around looking lost or half asleep. Just think what we could do with these players with a half decent manager, a team challenging for promotion and potential investors showing an interest
So AW is coaching them in the game so in other words they aren't listening? How is that the managements fault?
You must have been watching a different game because I didnt see or hear Galbraith have a go at anyone other than the odd occasion that Curzon got a shot off. Mind you he is the captain so should be having a pop if someone hasnt done their job properly.
We only drew because we didnt take one of the numerous chances we created in the second half in a good performance. That is the players fault for not being in the right place at the right time or snatching at a chance.
Personally I thought we played well and on another day would have won comfortably. I would be more worried if we had played badly and lost or sneaked a draw by good luck.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:15 pm

In general we have been playing much better and looking more solid in recent games than when we were on that terrible run and plunging towards the bottom. I think we have looked like a team more than capable of steering clear of relegation. The Curzon Ashton manager said he thought we played very well and he was pleased to get a point. However, the sooner we get to 48 or 50 points the better... we need to polish these teams off because another load of draws coupled with some defeats could see us down.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:19 pm

LoidLucan wrote:In general we have been playing much better and looking more solid in recent games than when we were on that terrible run and plunging towards the bottom. I think we have looked like a team more than capable of steering clear of relegation. The Curzon Ashton manager said he thought we played very well and he was pleased to get a point. However, the sooner we get to 48 or 50 points the better... we need to polish these teams off because another load of draws coupled with some defeats could see us down.
Well this is the worry - we have been playing better, but haven't managed to pull particularly clear of the drop zone. If we maintain our new improved performances then we'll probably be OK, but if we hit a run of bad form then we're in trouble.