Blyth V Darlington match thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlopartisan
Team Supported: Darlington

Blyth V Darlington match thread

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:20 pm

Be interesting to see the line up today with the 2 new players and Hughes back in contention.

poppyfield

Re: Blyth V Darlington match thread

Post by poppyfield » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:24 pm

Wouldn't be surprised if Hughes started.
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:25 pm

Team: Maddison, Trotman, Muggleton, Smith, Hughes, Galbraith, Elliott, Palmer, Ainge, Thompson, Nicholson,

Subs: O'Hanlon, Wheatley, Henshall, Saunders, Kneeshaw

I presume Kokolo has gone back - seemed to be in and out of the side, maybe not ready for the rough and ready of the League
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:31 pm

Plenty of options on the bench as well!

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:31 pm

That has to be our strongest bench for years

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by grimsbyquaker » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:49 pm

Looks like 3-5-2 to begin with, Ainge and Thommo up front

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:36 pm

1 up Thompson pen

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:01 pm

Won 1-0. Feels like an important result to me.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:07 pm

Really nice to see us keep a clean sheet as well. Delighted. UTQ.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:09 pm

Defence were emense great game to win.. Smith brilliant and Hughes and a mention to muggleton good debut

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:10 pm

Sounded like a proper dodgy pen to win it but Blyth used all their luck up at BM so fuck em.
Just deserts.

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:46 pm

Big win. It gives us some more daylight between where we are and the bottom 3, also leaves us with the outside chance of the playoffs...if we can earn more of these sorts of wins!
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

divas

Post by divas » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:05 pm

Sounded like the type of win we’ve been craving for all season. A proper team performance. We certainly appear to have turned a corner.

Darlo_CR

Post by Darlo_CR » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:20 pm

Great result, defence was awesome today with Galbraith my man of the match. Great to see Hughesy back and Muggleton had a solid debut. A proper team performance and a very valuable three points on the board.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:48 pm

Thought we have played better recently but not got the results, whilst today we were dogged enough and just about deserved the 1-0 win.

Smith I thought was excellent, the amount of times he works to support Trotman with those coming down the right hand side. Thought Galbraith started poor and got booked early on but was very good after that and especially 2nd half.

Reasonable performance from Muggleton considering some of the comments from Chesterfield/York City fans. Thought not having Saunders on resulted in Thompson and Nicholson having to do the running of three players, Ainge I think is going to get stick constantly in a 5-3-2, he has to slow it down or won't get into the box.

Thought Blyth were poor and they will finish mid-table not bothering the play off spots, to be honest this league isn't that great really. We need to keep picking up points and get ourselves comfortably into mid-table/top12.

moz1963

Post by moz1963 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:16 pm

First game in a while for me. Positive performance as a defensive unit, impressed with Smith. Must have had some Blyth supporters stood behind us as numerous of our players were s*** apparently?

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:41 pm

Why was that goal chalked off? Nobody seemed to see a foul except the one who counted.

Good, solid performance. We have improved enormously since that depressing slide. We can attack with pace but importantly have some real backbone now when we have to defend.

50 years

Post by 50 years » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:48 pm

Thought all the players put in a shift, Blyth use there wingers well and run for each other off the ball so they always have someone to pass to, but our players covered well. We were muscled out of balls often, (some of the players need some gym weight work I would say). They were certainly covering Nicholson strongly when he was running with the ball. We had a few chances early on before the penalty, (was not sure about the penalty from where I was stood, but also thought we had a shout for hand ball), with scrambles in the box, and we limited Blyth to few chances.
Don't think the linesman was happy with us Darlo fans as he used a few choice words in response to some of the comments.

Excellent win in the end.

50 years

Post by 50 years » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:51 pm

The disallowed goal looked ok from where I was, but one of their players was on the ground for some time so must have been something off the ball as don't think that player touched the ball, but whistle was blown before the ball was put in the net,(good strike of the ball as well).

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:53 pm

50 years wrote:The disallowed goal looked ok from where I was, but one of their players was on the ground for some time so must have been something off the ball as don't think that player touched the ball, but whistle was blown before the ball was put in the net,(good strike of the ball as well).
There player were down clutching his calf then as soon as the ball broke to our attacker(Not sure who is was) he tried to catch him but obviously could not he went down in a heap and we scored... BIZZARE to say the least

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:31 pm

Very strange decision,s from the referee to day, booked darlington player's for the minimal contact but allowed blyth to bully and elbow Nicholson several times forcing him to the ground and no cards showed, then disallowed a perfectly good goal, for no apparent reason other than darlington scored it, Bradley fewster deliberately dived in Darlington penalty area referee played on indicating no foul, and does nothing about it, at the very least he should have been carded. Strange decisions?????, was he on something, certainly not on his game. Poor officiating today.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:20 pm

50 years wrote: Don't think the linesman was happy with us Darlo fans as he used a few choice words in response to some of the comments.

Excellent win in the end.
I'm certain it was the same linesman who gave Styche offside when he scored in the home game against Blyth. I was stood right behind him when he made the decision and I know for a fact he was wrong yet he kept making sarcastic comments back to the fans having a pop at him.
How he thought the foul on Muggleton wasnt a foul was unbelievable, he was caught well after the ball had gone!

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:22 pm

What were Muggletons throw in's like , as good as they say?
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

Darlo_CR

Post by Darlo_CR » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:31 pm

poppyfield wrote:What were Muggletons throw in's like , as good as they say?
They were brilliant considering the windy conditions! I can certainly see them getting us a few goals this season.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:49 pm

It seemed like we effectively had a corner when we won throw-ins anywhere near the final third.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:57 pm

onewayup wrote:Very strange decision,s from the referee to day, booked darlington player's for the minimal contact but allowed blyth to bully and elbow Nicholson several times forcing him to the ground and no cards showed, then disallowed a perfectly good goal, for no apparent reason other than darlington scored it, Bradley fewster deliberately dived in Darlington penalty area referee played on indicating no foul, and does nothing about it, at the very least he should have been carded. Strange decisions?????, was he on something, certainly not on his game. Poor officiating today.
Nicho goes down a bit easy to be fair , take off your rose tinted glasses... By the way I like him as a player but feel he is a bit lightweight , I'm not slagging the lad as I feel he has been the most consistent player this season

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:57 am

Brilliant performance today by the whole team. Very hard and perhaps unfair to pick a MOTM, but I thought Trotman was superb. As others have said this was a great and perhaps unexpected result. Great following from Darlo as per usual.

carlodarlo

Post by carlodarlo » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:46 am

Great win and a big 3 points as I was starting to nervously look towards the bottom 3 again. I said a few weeks ago that we needed another 4 wins, that's our first since then and it's looking more likely that another 9 points should see us out of reach for the current bottom 3 to catch. The sooner we get these wins the better as I think it's important that we still have an outside chance of the play offs going into April to keep crowds up although I concede it's unlikely we will make the points difference up to get in them, it will be nice to still be playing for something other than pride for the last 5 or 6 games.
Made a couple of big decisions today did TW in keeping the shape despite clearly looking at going 4-4-2 through the week and his decision to put Hughes straight in, both have worked out for him and he takes some stick, rightly so at times but it's only right he should be praised when he does get it right. Also nice to dig out a result, always feel that we have to play near to the top of our game to pick up a win but that was just as pleasing yesterday. Onwards and upwards.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:59 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:Brilliant performance today by the whole team. Very hard and perhaps unfair to pick a MOTM, but I thought Trotman was superb. As others have said this was a great and perhaps unexpected result. Great following from Darlo as per usual.
One of his best performances of the season, great energy up and down the right hand side, Smith will be some player and Tez and Hughes were as solid as a rock.Wouldn't mind that defence for next season.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Darlo_CR

Post by Darlo_CR » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:46 am

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:Brilliant performance today by the whole team. Very hard and perhaps unfair to pick a MOTM, but I thought Trotman was superb. As others have said this was a great and perhaps unexpected result. Great following from Darlo as per usual.
One of his best performances of the season, great energy up and down the right hand side, Smith will be some player and Tez and Hughes were as solid as a rock.Wouldn't mind that defence for next season.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk
I wonder what the chances are of us signing Smith in the summer, he’s out of contract at the end of the season.