B T B Email

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Emdubya
Team Supported: Darlington

B T B Email

Post by Emdubya » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:55 pm

Just received an email from the club asking if I intend to carry on with my contribution next season.The answer is YES ,and I would plead with all of you other contributors to follow suit.
We are the owners ,we have to fund it.

super_les_mcjannet

Re: B T B Email

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:13 pm

Intend on increasing mine slightly and I don't have that much/any belief in Wright.

I just don't believe we should stop funding our club.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:27 pm

You and I are the owners of the club we are the club we help fund our club without the funds there is no club. After the fight we put up to save our club we shouldn't even contemplate stopping the good work of the last 6 years. Support the club fund the club or we won't have a club which would be disastrous for Darlington and the people who's monies saved the club in 2012, come, on darlo fans your club needs you. Get behind it whichever way you can every little helps.

quakerman

Post by quakerman » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:30 pm

onewayup wrote:You and I are the owners of the club we are the club we help fund our club without the funds there is no club. After the fight we put up to save our club we shouldn't even contemplate stopping the good work of the last 6 years. Support the club fund the club or we won't have a club which would be disastrous for Darlington and the people who's monies saved the club in 2012, come, on darlo fans your club needs you. Get behind it whichever way you can every little helps.
100%

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

B T B Email

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:37 pm

Im going to continue but I must admit this season some of the signings have been awful and I could fully understand some people not having faith in Wright spending wisely.

He has made good signings such as Nicholson but we cant afford costly mistakes, the loan players have bailed him out really.

Wrights comment about starting to make players turn up for training is also fresh in my mind but as others have said the club is knackered without the fans.

divas

Post by divas » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:53 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:Intend on increasing mine slightly and I don't have that much/any belief in Wright.

That’s my attitude. I think we need to look past at who is in charge - I know it’s not always easy but ultimately we have to put our trust in those we have voted in to run our club to make the right decisions. As much as we go to the match on a Saturday hoping for a win there is more to things than results on the pitch, things that we need to get right in order to put the club in a position where we can grow the business. The academy which Tommy has been instrumental in setting up is a prime example of this. From what I gather it was Tommy’s idea to set this up as part of the club rather than to line his own pockets, that has to be commended surely?!

We’ve seen what happens when all investment goes into the playing squad - it gives you success at a certain level that the amount of investment can support but then you hit a ceiling and you’ve built things on sand - that money is gone. The only way to break through that ceiling is either for the owners (us) to put in more money in which isn’t sustainable. What is sustainable is using some of that money in other ways to grow the business

Again from what I gather the funds next year won’t be primarily spent on the playing budget but also to build certain aspects of the club which should then deliver revenue streams going forwards - for me that’s what I’m interested in investing in and that’s why I’ll be continuing regardless of who the manager is.

The btb email touches on how useful a monthly guaranteed revenue stream is in terms of cash flow - it’s probably not something we’ve all appreciated as we just look at the total and think that’s an extra, say £80K. The reality is that’s around £7k per month that the club can bank on. It’s something we never had in years gone by and although we’ve been lucky with postponements this season in previous years we haven’t been. Knowing that you’ve got that cash coming in regardless of if you have any home games must be a huge relief for the financial director.

This income stream is something we have to try and make consistent every year if possible. Proper crowd funding.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:56 pm

Time for some of us to get this on The Tin Shed I think.

Alfie

Post by Alfie » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:58 pm

Good, bad or indifferent, managers come and go.

To put the future of the club at risk by reducing/stopping btb because of (fully justified) doubts about the current incumbent is a very dangerous reponse. Sooner or later Wright will go - above all we must ensure there is a club for the next manager to manage.

divas

Post by divas » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:03 pm

MCFCDarlo3 wrote:Im going to continue but I must admit this season some of the signings have been awful and I could fully understand some people not having faith in Wright spending wisely.

He has made good signings such as Nicholson but we cant afford costly mistakes, the loan players have bailed him out really.

Wrights comment about starting to make players turn up for training is also fresh in my mind but as others have said the club is knackered without the fans.
I think we have to try and look past associating our investment with individual player signings - no manager is going to get every one right and whilst there have been some disappointing signings - Ainge being the prime example where I’m sure that better due diligence could have been applied.

Ultimately I’ve put my faith in DJ and JW to allocate our funding appropriately.

divas

Post by divas » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:12 pm

Alfie wrote:Good, bad or indifferent, managers come and go.

To put the future of the club at risk by reducing/stopping btb because of (fully justified) doubts about the current incumbent is a very dangerous reponse. Sooner or later Wright will go - above all we must ensure there is a club for the next manager to manage.
:clap:

That’s it, the club isn’t the players, the manger, the directors, they all come and go

loobyloo

Post by loobyloo » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:16 pm

Never in doubt I would stop my B T B.In fact I will be increasing it slightly.Hope those able to afford it will continue to support the club.

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:46 pm

I’ve said I’m back in too. I’m hoping we can have a better summer’s activity with a few less risks and a bit more science, but nonetheless I’ll be continuing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

QuakerPete

Post by QuakerPete » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:18 am

divas wrote:
super_les_mcjannet wrote:Intend on increasing mine slightly and I don't have that much/any belief in Wright.

That’s my attitude. I think we need to look past at who is in charge - I know it’s not always easy but ultimately we have to put our trust in those we have voted in to run our club to make the right decisions. As much as we go to the match on a Saturday hoping for a win there is more to things than results on the pitch, things that we need to get right in order to put the club in a position where we can grow the business. The academy which Tommy has been instrumental in setting up is a prime example of this. From what I gather it was Tommy’s idea to set this up as part of the club rather than to line his own pockets, that has to be commended surely?!

We’ve seen what happens when all investment goes into the playing squad - it gives you success at a certain level that the amount of investment can support but then you hit a ceiling and you’ve built things on sand - that money is gone. The only way to break through that ceiling is either for the owners (us) to put in more money in which isn’t sustainable. What is sustainable is using some of that money in other ways to grow the business

Again from what I gather the funds next year won’t be primarily spent on the playing budget but also to build certain aspects of the club which should then deliver revenue streams going forwards - for me that’s what I’m interested in investing in and that’s why I’ll be continuing regardless of who the manager is.

The btb email touches on how useful a monthly guaranteed revenue stream is in terms of cash flow - it’s probably not something we’ve all appreciated as we just look at the total and think that’s an extra, say £80K. The reality is that’s around £7k per month that the club can bank on. It’s something we never had in years gone by and although we’ve been lucky with postponements this season in previous years we haven’t been. Knowing that you’ve got that cash coming in regardless of if you have any home games must be a huge relief for the financial director.

This income stream is something we have to try and make consistent every year if possible. Proper crowd funding.
Everyone should really take a long, slow read of this and let it sink in. Backing the budget, as owners, is how we’re going to ensure not only this club survives, but progresses as well.
We became fan-owned because nobody wanted us and we became fan-owned because we wanted to stick two fingers up at the FA.
We’ll always have to put money into the club at some level unless and until those other revenue streams come to fruition.
By not continuing or not contributing it is making that job so much harder
And don’t forget you can always use this link to make one-off donations (with no VAT to pay or the rugby club) and will be invested directly into the football club
https://fundraising.darlingtonfcsupport ... /donations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:30 am

I’ll continue mine for one more season but imo the club needs substantial outside investment to move us forward to the National League. After speaking to SG board member at the last match there is no appetite to do so as he thinks some board members would resign. So appears we are relying on fans goodwill.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:46 am

quakersfan wrote:I’ll continue mine for one more season but imo the club needs substantial outside investment to move us forward to the National League. After speaking to SG board member at the last match there is no appetite to do so as he thinks some board members would resign. So appears we are relying on fans goodwill.
I can’t wait for our magic investor to approach the Northern echo and put their plan in detail and let the fans decide.

Tris investor must exist as everyone keeps saying it’s the only way forward.

I reckon they will build a new 5m pound stadium and put it in the hands of the fans whilst also susbsiding a budget for promotion to the football league, just need to convince the DFCSG board members that the fans want this.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:16 am

MCFCDarlo3 wrote:Im going to continue but I must admit this season some of the signings have been awful and I could fully understand some people not having faith in Wright spending wisely.

Some have been awful, but equally some have been very good. I don't think Tommy Wright's transfer dealings have necessarily been any worse than the majority of other managers in our history.

We went through a period where Gray was able to throw money at established players, which made recruitment easier - he still signed a few duds.

Think back to Staunton, Hodgson or any other manager in recent memory and there's been good and bad signings. I don't really think Wright is any different in that respect although maybe as it's our money he's spending we notice the bad ones more.

I'll be matching, if not increasing my contribution next season for what it's worth. Agree with those above, we have to look beyond the manager and players when it comes to funding our club.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

MikeinBlack2

Post by MikeinBlack2 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:19 am

I'm going to continue my contribution and increase it slightly if I'm able to.
Come on Darlo!
Smoke me a kipper....I'll be back for breakfast!

50 years

Post by 50 years » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:22 am

Can't disagree with anything said in those comments above and will be certainly maintaining mine. After a moderate season I hope we can at least maintain the membership of the DFCSG too.
As for TW and AW as with others I can get frustrated, (I think I must think I am a football manager and know what should be done at times :D ), but we could have worse given that we are building for the future now and stability, look at the turnaround in managers at York and pool which has done them no good, but they have the money to buy there way through lots of changes we don't so I am content to get a little frustrated at times if they can keep us in this league for a few seasons on a tight budget.
The board of the club is also getting more and more professional so overall I am looking forward to the seasons ahead, where I can have a laugh and pint with my mates even if the footy is average (and I have seen years of poor and average football with Darlo).

Up the Quakers.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:00 am

Perhaps it needs rebranding from boost the budget to something else? In hindsight, selling it last year as 'invest £80k to have a realistic chance of the playoffs' has perhaps proven a mistake.

I will probably maintain my existing pledge (which is a fair turnaround in opinions, as after the Brackley match it crossed my mind as to whether to even get a season ticket next season :lol:). I have some sympathy with Wright as it's proven a tough job, but he's done a tough job poorly. I've absolutely no faith that Wright will do better next season than this - in fact, I'm fully expecting us to be firmly in the relegation battle next season. But I live in hope that one day Darlington Football Club will be a professional football club playing in a decent stadium in a national competition once again, and me walking away at this stage will do nothing to help that dream.

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:09 am

I must admit I said no to renewing my BTB "to having a realistic chance of reaching playoffs", this is the only way I can demonstrate my annoyance over how TW failed to learn time and time again.
However, if the club state do you want to invest in the running of the club as a whole, staff, ground, development as opposed to giving it to TW to waste then I will even increase my donation. Upto the board in the summer to demonstrate clearly where my money goes, club yes, TW no.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:39 am

quakersfan wrote:I’ll continue mine for one more season but imo the club needs substantial outside investment to move us forward to the National League. After speaking to SG board member at the last match there is no appetite to do so as he thinks some board members would resign. So appears we are relying on fans goodwill.
I can’t believe this outside investment thing still even gets mentioned.

Definition of investment: an action or process of investing money for profit

- There is no profit to be had
- Why would there be investment?

The fans invest because their ‘returns’ are more than financial - what is there for someone who is not a fan?

spen666

Post by spen666 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:53 am

lo36789 wrote:
I can’t believe this outside investment thing still even gets mentioned.

Definition of investment: an action or process of investing money for profit

- There is no profit to be had
- Why would there be investment?

The fans invest because their ‘returns’ are more than financial - what is there for someone who is not a fan?
The same argument could be made for a rich "investor" as for the fans

In reality they are both "benefactors". They all have their own reason for getting involved. They will all get some sort of "return" albeit unlikely to be financial. For example some rich "investors" their return will be prestige of owning a football club or using it to boost their mage and outside business importance - eg entertaining guests etc

Very few if anyone gives money altruistically to a football club without wanting some form of return

norwich darlo

Post by norwich darlo » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:57 am

Emdubya wrote:Just received an email from the club asking if I intend to carry on with my contribution next season.The answer is YES ,and I would plead with all of you other contributors to follow suit.
We are the owners ,we have to fund it.
Confirmed for next season

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:03 am

I'll continue mine.

I think those most likely to not renew will be younger, more impulsive fans, but I hope that many of them will come around.

Not renewing BTB will put the club in a pickle.

darlo_baron

Post by darlo_baron » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:50 am

I am also committing to maintaining my pledge.

Withdrawing your funding, therefore impacting the club's finances, because you don't like a manager is Raj Singh behaviour.

As I've said previously, BTB may require a re-brand so the touchy amongst the fan base don't associate it with guaranteed success on the pitch. An investor doesn't guarantee you success, look at York. That is football.

Welcoming an investor is a different argument. If one does come along, then the fan base can have the discussion. Until then the football clubs solvency and future ambitions are in our hands and to harm us going forward because of a bad season is ridiculous.
Craig Liddle is God!!

MKDarlo

Post by MKDarlo » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:33 pm

I will be honest enough to admit I am torn over this. I acknowledge all that is said above about it being up to us to fund the club but I simply do not trust the manager to spend the money we give him sensibly. I have concerns over his ability to arrange and motivate a team, his tactical sense and, frankly, his ability to keep us in this division let alone push towards the business end.

We were told our efforts had delivered a competitive budget. We are in a relegation battle. We are in a relegation battle because the manger and his signings are simply not good enough.

Those are signings we have paid for. I work hard for my money (stop laughing) and don't want to see that pissed away on players who aren't bothered and a manager who cant make them bother.

I will offer financial support to the club via a different means if one exists. I don't think I will give Wright the chance to waste another year of our money. I know this wont be popular but is my position.

PS i am not an impulsive kid. I have been going for far too many years and spent money i don't have on supporting the club when it should have gone on other, more important, things. I have seen shite. Lots of shite. The difference is it wasn't my cash paying for it in the way it is now.

PPS I don't expect success. I support Darlo FFS! I do expect that when we are told we have a competitive budget we aren't stuck in a relegation fight with a number of players not up to the job and a manager who looks lost.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:40 pm

Another question then MK. If it were rebranded so the club convinced you that it wasn't just the playing budget, but keeping the entire club going that you were contributing towards, would you be more inclined to invest. I ask because it's great that you've been honest - there'll be many like you that it's crucial to convince.

beatroute66

Post by beatroute66 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:49 pm

Same again for me next season regardless of this season's performance or views on current 'on the pitch' situation.

As most have said above, this is about funding the club and not about having a say on the current manager or this signing/that signing.

Someone on here a while back said he wasn't going to do it again next season because "we were promised the play offs this season and it hasn't happened..." - almost as though he was hoodwinked!

What do you think this is? A guarantee? Do you understand what investing means?

"Yeah, is that Betfred? I put a fiver on an acca but Port Vale only drew and it cost me £250. I want my money back..."

:roll:

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:55 pm

darlo_baron wrote:I am also committing to maintaining my pledge.

Withdrawing your funding, therefore impacting the club's finances, because you don't like a manager is Raj Singh behaviour.

As I've said previously, BTB may require a re-brand so the touchy amongst the fan base don't associate it with guaranteed success on the pitch. An investor doesn't guarantee you success, look at York. That is football.

Welcoming an investor is a different argument. If one does come along, then the fan base can have the discussion. Until then the football clubs solvency and future ambitions are in our hands and to harm us going forward because of a bad season is ridiculous.
Good post :thumbup:
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

ex-exile

Post by ex-exile » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:01 pm

I will certainly continue,we must remember that we are supporting our club,we all have our views on how is spent.In the time supporting Darlo,well over 50 years we have had both good and poor management but I support the club.Now it is our club so it’s down to us all to help if we can.