B T B Email

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Quakerlad
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: B T B Email

Post by Quakerlad » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:49 am

Completely agree. Comments on here about board members resigning etc if ever we move away from being fan owned seems very short sighted.

We have clearly reached our level as a fan owned club and if anything are struggling to maintain where we even are now, which let’s be honest is a relegation battle with a team that apart from odd spells serve up poor, unattractive football.

We will only ever stand any chance of progressing if we are actually NOT a fan owned club in my opinion. Of course there is no magical, reliable, good hearted investor around at the moment, but come on, if this person ever does appear, unlikely I know, let’s welcome them with open arms and not negativity. I for one, and am not alone for sure would swap our current model tomorrow for one that actually gave me back some positivity around our future.

Of course I will continue to contribute to the club in its present format, but must admit am having to give it more thought than I ever used to.

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:58 am

DJ has already stated that another income stream is needed so why is an investor a better option than a fan owned club pursuing this option. I am heartened this week by the success of the half term football course and the appointment of John Vickerman.

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:16 am

Half term football courses etc are great to see and involve future generations which is what we need for sure. DJ has been saying we need another income stream since he arrived but we are no nearer having one! That’s not a criticism of him at all because we all know that, and have done for 6 years now, but like a magical investor, it just never happens unfortunately. Certainly not at a level to raise our current expectations.

All I am saying, like many others who you talk to, is that we would swap fan ownership and the security it gives ( and that’s about all it gives in my view) for a benefactor, or a mix of the two, and the excitement that brings going forward. Yes it’s just an opinion and highly unlikely I know that such a person appears unless one of us wins the Euro Lottery!

Alfie

Post by Alfie » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:19 am

In calling for an investor/benefactor to put their money into the club are we not effectively saying

' I would like to live a lifestyle I cannot afford - will you give me some of your money to help me out?'

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:29 am

Quakerlad wrote:Half term football courses etc are great to see and involve future generations which is what we need for sure. DJ has been saying we need another income stream since he arrived but we are no nearer having one! That’s not a criticism of him at all because we all know that, and have done for 6 years now, but like a magical investor, it just never happens unfortunately. Certainly not at a level to raise our current expectations.

All I am saying, like many others who you talk to, is that we would swap fan ownership and the security it gives ( and that’s about all it gives in my view) for a benefactor, or a mix of the two, and the excitement that brings going forward. Yes it’s just an opinion and highly unlikely I know that such a person appears unless one of us wins the Euro Lottery!
After 3 administrations security is a must. I am more confident that DJ is looking at income streams than there is a benefactor around with bottomless pockets.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:45 am

I guess for those fans who are frustrated with the ownership model, the obvious thing to do is to stand for election at the next DFCSG AGM on a manifesto stating you will seek out external 'investment'

I can't imagine (if elected of course) they'll find someone wanting to chuck pots of cash at a 6th division part time football club with no assets but I could be wrong. And then if they do, I can't imagine they will find someone who is acceptable enough to the SG so that a motion to change the ownership structure of the club would be voted for, but again I could be wrong.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:00 am

Got to say. I noticed Gateshead's accounts for last year were released yesterday (they report from June 1st to May 31st each year). In their 3 year tenure with the club the old owners Richard and Julie Bennet had to fund:
A £732k loss in the 15/16 season
A £982k loss in the 16/17 season
A £786k loss in the 17/18 season.

In three seasons of football club ownership they lost £2.5million trying to fund a full time football club to the football league. And they certainly won't have been the biggest spenders.

Problem is some will look at this and say we must have an investor to compete at the next level. Others will look and say the current state of Gateshead highlights the need to be sustainable.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:06 am

quakersfan wrote:
super_les_mcjannet wrote:
quakersfan wrote:I think most of the 1000 members would be happy to pay £50 membership perhaps spread over 2 instalments August and January’s it would make a huge difference to the coffers roughly an increase of £30k. With more people likely joining to vote on future location it could be the right time, at the end of the day without outside investment it’s the fans who have to dig deep.
I doubt many would be willing to give £50 to be a member. Also the 20k currently raised doesn't all go into the club I believe, as some is put away to ensure DFCSG have some cash to pay back the share purchase in a couple of years time.

Anyhow no doubt the investor you keep advising we need & we all want will turn up soon and we can all stop putting money in.
Why do you shoot me down when I mention the prospect of any outside investment are you so bolted to the idea it can only be a purely fan funded model.

There may well not be any potential investors out there my question has always been have we talked/talking to anyone. If we end up getting our own plot at the Arena on a long term lease 100 years etc you may find some investors start being interested as they will see a return.

One thing imo and I’m allowed to have one is that we have reached a plateau with the current model, however I’d doesnt stop me putting my own money into BTB and this season attended hospitality 10-12 times.
I have shot you down on the investor because it appears you keep pushing for something that isn't currently on offer, so not massively worth discussing.

I am not bolted to fan ownership, however I do know that one more bad owner will finish the club forever. All those who have put in money, most will not do it again and will walk away. I have listened to the few that I know have put in large sums of above 10k (I am not one of them by the way) and most have done it as they do believe in fan ownership.

So this magic investor or in reality benefactor that we require for me has to hit the highest of standards, I am think Brad Groves or Andy Holt at Accrington. They also have to be at that level, whilst guaranteeing if they ran out of money, lost interest, died etc. that the club is safe after that.

Anyone who would be interested because we had a plot of land at the Arena would worry me massively, that plot of land/stadium would need to be asset locked to the club/DFCSG in some way. No debt would be able to run up against the club and a lot more open and honest in terms of accounts than we are now.

If a benefactor has a plan with those caveats in mind then I am all ears. As I have said before Darlo fans (same as most) are not that fussy, we will let anyone run the club, just look at the list since 2012.

Back on point though, we plan forward with the cards we have got and largely don't waste time on hopeful investors/benefactors, it's a waste of time and resource until any said person comes out openly with a plan. If they really cared for the club this wouldn't be much to ask, if they don't care for the club then no point chatting.

divas

Post by divas » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:11 am

It just shows how nuts the National League is. Obviously not the same scale but the Championship is just the same, club’s spending way more than they’re generating in the hope that they can get to the next level where there are significantly more riches available that will then balance the books. Promotion from the NL to L2 is worth around £1.2m per year and god knows what promotion from the Championship to PL is, probably something like £60m

The only way that will ever change is if the large step changes between these two divisions are levelled out. Whilst I’m never just a fan of filtering money down the pyramid as clubs will just spend it regardless and it’ll just end up in players pockets, having a step up that will probably double the club’s turnover just from league money is nuts and leads to this behaviour of clubs overspending to try to get to a level where they can then be a lot more sustainable

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:18 am

divas wrote:It just shows how nuts the National League is. Obviously not the same scale but the Championship is just the same, club’s spending way more than they’re generating in the hope that they can get to the next level where there are significantly more riches available that will then balance the books. Promotion from the NL to L2 is worth around £1.2m per year and god knows what promotion from the Championship to PL is, probably something like £60m

The only way that will ever change is if the large step changes between these two divisions are levelled out. Whilst I’m never just a fan of filtering money down the pyramid as clubs will just spend it regardless and it’ll just end up in players pockets, having a step up that will probably double the club’s turnover just from league money is nuts and leads to this behaviour of clubs overspending to try to get to a level where they can then be a lot more sustainable
Is part of the problem not also the lack of a wage cap in the National League. I think that in League 2 there is a cap (60% of turnover?) on the amount of money which can be spent on wages, whereas the NL just require owners to prove they have the money to cover wages. Which leads to unsustainable wages which become a problem when the owner decides they have had enough.

I was in favour of the plan to expand the FL to 100 teams, which I think would have helped the bottleneck at the top of nonleague. Something will have to change eventually you'd imagine.

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:20 am

Promotion to Boro was worth £180m but now they say it’s nearer £200. Crazy really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spen666

Post by spen666 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:42 am

divas wrote:It just shows how nuts the National League is. Obviously not the same scale but the Championship is just the same, club’s spending way more than they’re generating in the hope that they can get to the next level where there are significantly more riches available that will then balance the books. Promotion from the NL to L2 is worth around £1.2m per year and god knows what promotion from the Championship to PL is, probably something like £60m

I know its probably never going to happen, but I would like to see a cap on the playing/ coaching wages set at the level of gate receipts.

Any money put in from external sources, whether a benefactor, sponsorship or boost the budget type appeals can only be spent on capital projects - eg improving facilities etc.

This would prevent clubs buying success without the crowds behind them....it would hopefully encourage clubs to improve facilities to increase crowds and hence the playing budgets.

Clubs would have to work to encourage new fans as they couldn't keep increasing prices as they price fans out and reduce budgets.

It would also help cap the grossly stupid wages that are being paid in footbll, especially at non league levels.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:44 am

spen666 wrote:

I know its probably never going to happen, but I would like to see a cap on the playing/ coaching wages set at the level of gate receipts.

Any money put in from external sources, whether a benefactor, sponsorship or boost the budget type appeals can only be spent on capital projects - eg improving facilities etc.

This would prevent clubs buying success without the crowds behind them....it would hopefully encourage clubs to improve facilities to increase crowds and hence the playing budgets.

Clubs would have to work to encourage new fans as they couldn't keep increasing prices as they price fans out and reduce budgets.

It would also help cap the grossly stupid wages that are being paid in footbll, especially at non league levels.
:shock:

JE93

Post by JE93 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:00 am

spen666 wrote:

While i don't disagree. Are you really telling me you'd happily see Spenny's wage budget cut significantly?

Working on last season averages average attendance was 834 x £10 (average ticket cost) x 21 games. playing budget = £175k. . I'd guess and say that would be a £100-75k reduction on where you current are.

Apologies i didn't have time at work to factor in the exchange rates for vibes.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:08 am

JE93 wrote:
spen666 wrote:

While i don't disagree. Are you really telling me you'd happily see Spenny's wage budget cut significantly?

Working on last season averages average attendance was 834 x £10 (average ticket cost) x 21 games. playing budget = £175k. . I'd guess and say that would be a £100-75k reduction on where you current are.

I am fully aware of the affect it would have

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:22 am

Whilst an outside investor in my opinion would be very welcome, at the moment as far as we know there isn't one looking at coming into the club. So until there is the prospect of one, we need to fund the club ourselves, by whatever means possible.

darlo_baron

Post by darlo_baron » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:53 am

Quakerlad wrote:Completely agree. Comments on here about board members resigning etc if ever we move away from being fan owned seems very short sighted.

We have clearly reached our level as a fan owned club and if anything are struggling to maintain where we even are now, which let’s be honest is a relegation battle with a team that apart from odd spells serve up poor, unattractive football.

We will only ever stand any chance of progressing if we are actually NOT a fan owned club in my opinion. Of course there is no magical, reliable, good hearted investor around at the moment, but come on, if this person ever does appear, unlikely I know, let’s welcome them with open arms and not negativity. I for one, and am not alone for sure would swap our current model tomorrow for one that actually gave me back some positivity around our future.

Of course I will continue to contribute to the club in its present format, but must admit am having to give it more thought than I ever used to.
The conversation over investment is certainly one that could be had, if anyone ever expresses an interest. Certainly, if we want to progress back to the football league in the short term it would be needed in my opinion.

However, to say we should welcome an investor with open arms certainly wouldn't be my approach. We have been burnt in the past and other clubs continue to be shafted quite regularly. Look at Notts County currently.

If investment was to become an option, the person in question would have to be the right fit for the club and us, as supporters. If there are any doubts we should walk away. I'd also like to see supporters maintain a good % of the club and even continue financial input, alongside the investor.

The reality is that an investor is extremely unlikely. Therefore, if we want to progress it is going to be in our hands.
Craig Liddle is God!!

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:01 am

loan_star wrote:
Darlogramps wrote: Spyman raises the point that many transfers aren't successful, and this has always been the case. Surely the difference this time though is fans are directly involved here. The aspiration should be every signing he makes is a success. TW is, or should be, accountable to the owners - who are the supporters. If this isn't happening, something is going wrong fundamentally. That's where the concern and doubts about renewing come from.
Do you want the moon on a stick too? Even the most successful managers we have ever had have all signed some duffers, even when they had more of a free reign to sign virtually who they wanted. Wanting virtually every signing to be a success just isn't going to happen.
Darlogramps wrote:Would also point out that Raj Singh didn't give a toss about the club. The fans investing or considering investing in the B-T-B do, and are motivated by wanting to see the club succeed, unlike Singh who was only interested in money.
If the fans do give a toss then its even more reason for them to contribute.

In relation to the player signings issue D.J made points about just how difficult it is during the recent 'Netcafe' in December.

D.J. "As more wealthy benefactors and clubs come into our league, wage expectation spirals as pressure for players increases from a smaller pool of available talent. This is only going to increase and we need to take stock and find a better blended model with the loan market which brings obvious issues given the short term nature of loans."

And, "Some of the players who have left have actually dropped a level to play and the pool of available talent is getting smaller as other clubs grow. Unfortunately at times we struggle to match the wages of teams at lower levels to us and we have to look further afield for players. This again is reality, if wealthy benefactors are funding this we struggle to compete. I do believe however that we have to make more use of the loan market from our local big clubs which will help moving forwards."

In short, it's very difficult to get talented, affordable North East based, players into our side, and because of this, not all of our signings are going to be a runaway success - not that they ever were anyway.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:21 am

spen666 wrote:
JE93 wrote:While i don't disagree. Are you really telling me you'd happily see Spenny's wage budget cut significantly?

I am fully aware of the affect it would have
Thing is I imagine it would have pretty minimal impact.

The thing in common with all the rich benefactors is that they own other companies who pay wages. They would just become employees of the other company and pick up the difference from there - I doubt the national league could police that.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:36 pm

Tbh i don't think anyone opposes a private owner in future, so long as they're not Raj Singh, and the fans maintain some kind of say or safeguard.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:07 pm

Quakerlad wrote:Completely agree. Comments on here about board members resigning etc if ever we move away from being fan owned seems very short sighted.

Nonsense.

A fan owned club with 1000 fans maybe, but our target should be to increase the fan base. We have thousands of lapsed fans, a new generation that can tapped into as well.

A fan owned club with 3000 fans would give us the financial clout to do much more. Shouldn't we spend our energies trying to achieve that rather than just saying "we've reached our level, bring in an millionaire".

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:12 pm

Until we the owners of the club alter the articles of association on 15% shareholder, no one is likely to show interest, I think should it be changed then it would be more attractive to an investor, if no investors come forward. we stay at status quo. As is, nothing changes no harm done, and at least the door has been opened to trying to attract a suitors.
As I said the present articles of association don't allow for this to happen. DJ is the right man to sort the suitor situation with his expertise at the clubs disposal. Should someone come forward, but I would not hold my breath. Onwards and upwards with Darlington fc.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:27 pm

onewayup wrote:Until we the owners of the club alter the articles of association on 15% shareholder, no one is likely to show interest, I think should it be changed then it would be more attractive to an investor, if no investors come forward. we stay at status quo. As is, nothing changes no harm done, and at least the door has been opened to trying to attract a suitors.
As I said the present articles of association don't allow for this to happen. DJ is the right man to sort the suitor situation with his expertise at the clubs disposal. Should someone come forward, but I would not hold my breath. Onwards and upwards with Darlington fc.
Push that forward at the DFCSG, it's one vote per person and a democracy.

I would rather change if someone was interested, as the right person would wait but it's all about opinions.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:10 pm

onewayup wrote:Until we the owners of the club alter the articles of association on 15% shareholder, no one is likely to show interest, I think should it be changed then it would be more attractive to an investor, if no investors come forward. we stay at status quo. As is, nothing changes no harm done, and at least the door has been opened to trying to attract a suitors.
It probably wouldn't hurt to alter the articles of association. But for sure the bigger stumbling block for any investor would be the legal side to negating the CIC asset lock in the future. Not saying it can't be done, and the alteration of the articles of association could be suggested for the next AGM. But until someone serious comes along there isn't much reason to bring it forward.

QuakerPete

Post by QuakerPete » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:00 pm

If we have no assets, what is the attraction for an investor to own 75% or even 100% of nothing rather than 15%. Why would we amend the articles just in case? Let’s see any investor first, then we can talk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:07 pm

I beg to differ changing will make it more likely for a future investor /investors to come forward, leave it as it is 15% and we limit any future large investors.
Only my opinion, lots of scenarios yet before a conclusion can be made. We all have our own opinions. Which I respect. Onwards and upwards with Darlington fc. Pete we are in a catch 22 situation. If no one came forward nothing change, s
So no harm done. It's just a suggestion.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:04 pm

I for one wouldn’t vote to change the articles - how many would be needed to vote in favour of it to actually be done?

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:01 am

How many would-be investors would know this information? If they were that interested, then surely they wouldn't mind their ownership being put to the fans?

If they're not prepared to do that, then i struggle with their motivations. I'd just leave it as it is. Things can be amended later, if necessary, but it's a safeguard right now.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:06 am

lo36789 wrote:I for one wouldn’t vote to change the articles - how many would be needed to vote in favour of it to actually be done?
You would need to pass a Special resolution which means 75% of voting shareholders must support the change at an annual general meeting or an extrodinary general meeting. As DFCSG owns more than 75% of the shareholding in the club, whichever way the DFCSG voted would win. And I assume the mandate for the DFCSG would be decided on a simple popular vote. Whichever side gets more wins.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:21 am

JE93 wrote:
lo36789 wrote:I for one wouldn’t vote to change the articles - how many would be needed to vote in favour of it to actually be done?
You would need to pass a Special resolution which means 75% of voting shareholders must support the change at an annual general meeting or an extrodinary general meeting. As DFCSG owns more than 75% of the shareholding in the club, whichever way the DFCSG voted would win. And I assume the mandate for the DFCSG would be decided on a simple popular vote. Whichever side gets more wins.
As long as the losers don’t demand a people’s vote claiming we didn’t know all the ins and outs :lol: