Darlington V Chorley

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

bigdavethemaddog

Re: Darlington V Chorley

Post by bigdavethemaddog » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:01 am

Feethams 1966 wrote:Well now that I've read these pages I see at last why our manager took off the two players who seemed most of a threat to Chorley. Not sure where the 5 minutes of injury time came from, but our fault for not seeing the game out. Kneeshaw seemed to be making a right nuisance of himself to the other team and we could do with a good nuisance again. Bit like Styche used to be I thought. And I thought Thommo's skill going past players solo today was quite amazing; a joy to watch. A draw was a fair result but it was points chucked away in injury time.
6 substitutions at 30 seconds each is 3 minutes straight off before you account for any stoppages/timewasting.

quakerste
Team Supported: Darlington

Post by quakerste » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:43 am

From next season when a substitution is made the player leaving the pitch leaves by the closest touchline which will hopefully eradicate some of the time wasting.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:55 am

I doubt that will be all!

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:05 am

I don't have any complaints about yesterday's match. It was a good, entertaining game in which we more than matched a top-of-the-table side. Overall we looked fairly solid at the back and at times dangerous and inventive on the attack. If we reproduce that for the rest of the season the points total will be ticking over nicely and hopefully particularly so when we play five of the sides who are below us in the league. All I ask is that we can put out an organised, solid side who can be competitive in this league and that is what we looked yesterday.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:21 am

For me darlington played very well against a top team and a poor referee who to all intents an purposes may as well had a yellow shirt on.
We were in control until Alex henshall made the decision to play the ball three yards to Nicholson rather than to Saunders who made a great run down the right, the ball was intersepted and chorley were away and scored, that was the only bad bit of the game, Alex, s awareness has to be sharper. 2 points lost rather than 3 gained I thought. However we move onto next week. Hopefully Tommy starts with the same 11 seemed to be a good balance throughout the team yesterday. Kneeshaw, s goal was well worked and taken very well. Pleaseed for the lad.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:28 am

There's a very fair interview with the Chorley manager on Facebook in which he says he was delighted to get a point and he admitted they struggled to contain us at times. He said: "They played really well today. It's difficult to understand how they're down there."

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:40 am

Thought we played really well yesterday, actually enjoyed the game. Very disappointed to let a goal in during injury time but sometimes you just have to accept it, I don't blame Wright for making the subs as we were looking tired and a few knocks.

In fact I had no complaints at all yesterday with how we went about it, the work rate of the team was excellent and if I watched that effort/energy every week I would be happy. We clearly miss a striker who gets you 20 goals every season but so are lots of teams.

My only issue is why does it take a lifeless performance v Brackley for Wright to realise that we are not good enough to boss a game, so you have to put energy on the pitch.

Feethams 1966

Post by Feethams 1966 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:47 am

onewayup wrote:For me darlington played very well against a top team and a poor referee who to all intents an purposes may as well had a yellow shirt on.
I thought the linesman was out of order. Two minutes in to the game he responded to a mild rebuke from someone behind me by telling them to F off. I know these officials get some stick but I don't think that should be allowed, and they've always been aloof to it in my experience till now. What did make me smile was that he began the match racing up and down the line like Usain Bolt whilst chuntering to himself but by the middle of the second half he was so knackered that when one of our attacks was yards off side he was too far back out of place to be able to give a decision on it. He'll make a great referee at this level some day.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:51 am

Two points really stood out yesterday. One is that Ainge is a great all-round central defender and organiser at the back and the other is that this attacking line-up made us look much more dangerous. Even the Chorley manager admitted that the pace in our offensive play left them struggling to cope.

divas

Post by divas » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:18 pm

LoidLucan wrote:Two points really stood out yesterday. One is that Ainge is a great all-round central defender and organiser at the back and the other is that this attacking line-up made us look much more dangerous. Even the Chorley manager admitted that the pace in our offensive play left them struggling to cope.
We’ve known this probably since the Telford league game at home, so it’s baffling why we’ve only seen it on occasions.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:23 pm

divas wrote:
LoidLucan wrote:Two points really stood out yesterday. One is that Ainge is a great all-round central defender and organiser at the back and the other is that this attacking line-up made us look much more dangerous. Even the Chorley manager admitted that the pace in our offensive play left them struggling to cope.
We’ve known this probably since the Telford league game at home, so it’s baffling why we’ve only seen it on occasions.
We have but it's time Wright realised this 100%, it's our one key attribute that puts the opposition on the back foot. Whenever we don't select pace, we just don't have enough to open up most if not all teams.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:32 pm

On yesterday's evidence, Brackley are far more likely to go up than Chorley.

quakerman

Post by quakerman » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:41 pm

Our front 3 were far too quick for the big lads at the back, we would have won yesterday if Thommo and Kneeshaw had stayed on and not allowing their defenders to bomb forward as much.Great to see the pace we had up front and playing the ball more on the ground than launching it.Would love to see Will Smith playing for us next season along with the new keeper, add these to Kneeshaw,Thommo,Tez,Ainge (CB),Trotman and Nicholson and we have the basis of a pretty good side to me.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

divas

Post by divas » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:48 pm

There would have been a good chance of us winning if he’d kept the front 3 on and we’d neen able to play with the same intensity that we had in the first 70 minutes. Unfortunately that wasn’t possible due to the fitness levels of the front 3 and the lack of direct replacemts. Even before the subs were made we started to get pushed back as the front 3 tired. If we’d conceded with 3 forwards on the pitch when trying to defend a single goal lead against the league leaders with tiring legs I think I’d have been more upset.

It’s not even as if the goal came from us being pinned in, it came from us being on the attack and Henshall not having a clue, when he surrendered possession there were 2 players up with him ie a 3 man attack anyway. You shouldn’t be conceding from a cross 40 yards out on the right. Someone hasn’t done their defensive duties properly, that’s why we’ve conceded.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:49 pm

quakerman wrote:Our front 3 were far too quick for the big lads at the back, we would have won yesterday if Thommo and Kneeshaw had stayed on and not allowing their defenders to bomb forward as much.Great to see the pace we had up front and playing the ball more on the ground than launching it.Would love to see Will Smith playing for us next season along with the new keeper, add these to Kneeshaw,Thommo,Tez,Ainge (CB),Trotman and Nicholson and we have the basis of a pretty good side to me.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk
Sadly we will never know if Thommo and Kneeshaw staying on would result in us winning, it could have resulted in us losing, that's football really.

What I do know is that we were starting to lose the battle and the front three (mainly Kneeshaw) were not getting back to pick up the spare midfielder at this point. Imagine if Wright had left them on and we had got beat 2-1 whilst also losing one of them to a muscle injury - then Wright should have made the change.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:22 pm

Feethams 1966 wrote:
onewayup wrote:For me darlington played very well against a top team and a poor referee who to all intents an purposes may as well had a yellow shirt on.
I thought the linesman was out of order. Two minutes in to the game he responded to a mild rebuke from someone behind me by telling them to F off. I know these officials get some stick but I don't think that should be allowed, and they've always been aloof to it in my experience till now. What did make me smile was that he began the match racing up and down the line like Usain Bolt whilst chuntering to himself but by the middle of the second half he was so knackered that when one of our attacks was yards off side he was too far back out of place to be able to give a decision on it. He'll make a great referee at this level some day.
Except it wasn't "a mild rebuke" - it was nowhere near that, it was bad language and verbal abuse - and this unnecessary abuse directed at the linesman continued for about another 20 minutes or so.

I was surprised that the linesman fired back, but it wasn't him that started the confrontation and it wasn't him that kept going.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:56 pm

Apparently because the Respect campaign wasn't as effective as hoped, it's been replaced with a new "Do You Want Some?" initiative so officials can engage more with the fans.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:57 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
I was surprised that the linesman fired back, but it wasn't him that started the confrontation and it wasn't him that kept going.
The officials shouldn't answer back, simple as that. He gets well paid to do what he does and he should be professional enough to bite his tongue.

Darlo2807

Post by Darlo2807 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:28 pm

Just watched the PMI from Chorley's manager, who said that he is surprised we're at the wrong end of the table considering the pace upfront. What are the odds for Tommy to mess around with the side again on Tuesday?

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:29 pm

loan_star wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
The officials shouldn't answer back, simple as that. He gets well paid to do what he does and he should be professional enough to bite his tongue.
How much do they get paid?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:58 pm

loan_star wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
The wider point is fans shouldn't be hurling abuse at the officials in the first place. Then there's no issue to start with.

I remember at the Chester game, after their third goal, about a dozen of our fans followed the linesman up and down the pitch for about five or ten minutes, screaming obscenities.

I've got no issue at all with officials biting back at fans. Too many fans are willing to dish it out to opposition fans, officials and players but cry foul when they get some back. Classic bully boy behaviour.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:09 pm

If you've never run the line or been the ref then you don't know how hard it is. No need for obscenity on either side but no amount of money would tempt me back!

CrazyDarlo

Post by CrazyDarlo » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:21 pm

No Alan White yesterday?

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:29 pm

CrazyDarlo wrote:No Alan White yesterday?
And Mr Luff was away. Was the game filmed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:56 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
loan_star wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
The wider point is fans shouldn't be hurling abuse at the officials in the first place. Then there's no issue to start with.

I remember at the Chester game, after their third goal, about a dozen of our fans followed the linesman up and down the pitch for about five or ten minutes, screaming obscenities.

I've got no issue at all with officials biting back at fans. Too many fans are willing to dish it out to opposition fans, officials and players but cry foul when they get some back. Classic bully boy behaviour.
Officials are always going to get stick, rightly or wrongly. However this particular linesman has previous for making obscene comments towards fans. If he wants to get anywhere in the game he's going to have to learn not to bite or learn how to answer back in a way that doesn't make him as bad as the fans shouting the abuse.
I remember Jeff Winter getting some stick during a friendly years ago and he just looked at the lads shouting, winked and smiled. Better than telling them to fuck off!

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:19 pm

loan_star wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
loan_star wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:

Officials are always going to get stick, rightly or wrongly. However this particular linesman has previous for making obscene comments towards fans. If he wants to get anywhere in the game he's going to have to learn not to bite or learn how to answer back in a way that doesn't make him as bad as the fans shouting the abuse.
I remember Jeff Winter getting some stick during a friendly years ago and he just looked at the lads shouting, winked and smiled. Better than telling them to fuck off!
I was near this situation and the level of abuse was too high. The comments getting directed towards the linesman were not at a normal banter level of “are you blind” “you haven’t got a clue” “do you want to borrow my glasses?”

This was abuse and I could tell that a number of people near me were fed up with what was happening.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

divas

Post by divas » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:27 pm

That’s not how it started though, it started innocuously enough but then crossed a line. It only crossed a line as the linesman retaliated.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:29 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
I was near this situation and the level of abuse was too high. The comments getting directed towards the linesman were not at a normal banter level of “are you blind” “you haven’t got a clue” “do you want to borrow my glasses?”

This was abuse and I could tell that a number of people near me were fed up with what was happening.
Maybe the fact he has bitten back before encourages it? Like I say he has had previous at Darlo for it, he was even at it at the Blyth away game too.
Better for him to diffuse the situation by either not responding or take the Jeff Winter approach and laugh it off.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:53 pm

loan_star wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
loan_star wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:

Officials are always going to get stick, rightly or wrongly.
There's a difference between getting stick and getting abuse. And abuse happens all too regularly because officials are seen as fair game - as you've demonstrated here. You're essentially saying it's a hazard of the job and they just should take it. I'm sorry but that's a terrible attitude to take.

Fans make a choice to hurl abuse at officials who are simply doing their job, regardless of how well you think they're doing it. The blame isn't on the linesmen who bite back - it's on the fans who initiate it by giving abuse. And for the purposes of clarity, I'm speaking generally - not on this specific incident from yesterday.

You've also said laughing off abuse is better than telling fans to fuck off. I'd agree - but what do you have to say to the fans who are throwing the abuse in the first place? You're too intent on blaming officials and ignoring the reasons why they've reacted.

Would also point out Jeff Winter was a high level referee with many years of experience. He'll have heard it all before. Officials at our level are much less experienced, and will be doing it part-time.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

polam lane

Post by polam lane » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:23 pm

The best three referees I've seen over the decades for non posturing and a cool head were:

Gurnam Singh
Roger Kirkpatrick
Jeff Winter

Subjective I know, but I've seen the neck end of a thousand games over several decades.

Of the current crop - Andy Davies lets the game flow and uses his whistle sparingly.