Ainge

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

PierremontQuaker03
Team Supported: Darlington

Ainge

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:55 pm

I think it has been quite clear for some time that Ainge is much better suited at the back - a back three of Ainge, Galbraith and Hughes - you could not get much better in this League.
However, I think if Ainge wants to play up front, I think this is a level too high for him - he might be better served playing in the league below.
I really do hope that TW does try and have a word with him at the end of the season and try and get him to play at the back on a regular basis - as emergency striker and up front late in the game, thats fine, but as yesterday proves - pace is everything in this league otherwise your just putting up big guys Vs big guys and fighting over scraps.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

The Golden Hairclip

Ainge

Post by The Golden Hairclip » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:57 pm

Got to agree. He’s an Evo-Stik striker at best BUT he’s not far off football league standard as a centre back. If he’s happy to play centre back then he’ll be a huge asset for the club. If his heart is set on playing up front then he’ll be a liability. My MOTM yesterday by some distance.

jjljks

Re: Ainge

Post by jjljks » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:30 pm

[quote="The Golden Hairclip"]Got to agree. He’s an Evo-Stik striker at best BUT he’s not far off football league standard as a centre back. If he’s happy to play centre back then he’ll be a huge asset for the club. If his heart is set on playing up front then he’ll be a liability. My MOTM yesterday by some distance.[/quote

Yes, did win a number of headers in our box plus a good relationship with Tez & Smith. Showed good timing in his tackles as well as reading the game, even shouting at the lads to push out. Also the new keeper gave defence good directions and options. Much prefer it if Ainge made CB shirt his own rather than CF.

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:31 pm

He’ll have to play wherever the manager says or leave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:15 am

Good to see that the Non-League Paper, gave the MOTM to Ainge.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:41 am

The issue is he'll be on strikers money, and top scorer in the league strikers money at that. Wasn't his last club before us a loan spell at Wrexham but that's where he got hit with injury problems?

His career didn't progress past NLN as a CB it was only when he moved to ST that he was in demand in the league above.

He's obviously not been effective this year in the striker role, but is clearly still a capable CB at this level (not sure he is anything more than this level mind). I just hope if we are going to play him CB is is on NLN CB terms and not top of the range ST terms.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:02 am

He'll quite rightly continue on the two-year terms that he agreed with us in May last year, whichever position we decide to play him in.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:06 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:Good to see that the Non-League Paper, gave the MOTM to Ainge.
You mean Craig Stoddart gave him MOTM.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:59 am

LoidLucan wrote:He'll quite rightly continue on the two-year terms that he agreed with us in May last year, whichever position we decide to play him in.
Oh he will - but understand that means we'll be looking for a striker on defender money to compensate and hit the budget and for me that is an issue we have.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:08 am

The Golden Hairclip wrote:Got to agree. He’s an Evo-Stik striker at best BUT he’s not far off football league standard as a centre back. If he’s happy to play centre back then he’ll be a huge asset for the club. If his heart is set on playing up front then he’ll be a liability. My MOTM yesterday by some distance.
I think 'not far off football league standard' is pushing it a bit, considering he seems to have spent most of his career moving between this level and the conference, but I don't dispute if he plays at CB for us he'll be a very good player for us.

I wonder if a contract extension but lower wages may be agreeable to both parties.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:17 pm

Not sure if it against FA rules, but especially as a striker he should get paid by the number of goals he scores. Well at least a bonus for every goal he scores.
If memory serves me right, I think the team win bonuses were outlawed by FA some time ago. Isn't there some saying about boxers / fighters is the best ones are hungry ones?

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:35 pm

Bonus every-time he scores? But he's paid a wage to score, he shouldn't be getting more money for actually doing his job... :lol: :lol:

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:58 am

Agreed but why do merchant bankers get bonuses? Oh wait a minute, how can i show that was meant to be rhyming slang? :)

H1987

Post by H1987 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:24 pm

Players having a bonus for goals is fairly standard isn't it?

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:58 pm

H1987 wrote:Players having a bonus for goals is fairly standard isn't it?
Noooooo its common knowledge only Tommy Wright offers goal bonuses :lol: :lol:

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:07 pm

Sure that TW subs off any player who scores twice so they can't get a hat-trick and thus keep the match-ball. Mind, that doesn't happen much these days!