Steve Watson - new York manager

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

shildonlad
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gateshead

Re: Steve Watson - new York manager

Post by shildonlad » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:16 pm

Yeah watson has put the boot in and taken micky cummins with him. Ben clark is in charge, not sure who is assisting him and whether he is caretaker or what. Mind with the size of coaching staff york like maybe ben clark will go there as well. As for mr cala all hearsay at the moment what his role is: secret owner, secret director or just what folk have seen him do, work the turnstyles, who knows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

LoidLucan
Team Supported: Darlington

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:12 pm

Except it's not hearsay. He himself has profiled his role as Chief Financial Advisor. This won't end well.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:33 pm

shildonlad wrote:
spen666 wrote:
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:Yes, part time clubs can survive in the national league.

I do not buy the line from our club that we *need* to be full time in that league, should we get promoted. Obviously it would be tough to compete, but it's not an absolute necessity to be full time. The more part time clubs that end up in the national league, the less essential it is to be full time.

In its early days, all the sides in the National League ( Conference ) were all part time. I think the first full time side were Lincoln City after they were relegated the first time in 1987.

By then the Conference had been going for a number of years. The next full time side I suspect were Darlington in 1989

The biggest issue for part time sides is players getting any necessary time off work for the longer away trips
And that is the reason why a north east conference side would suffer in the league if they were part time, theres a few long trips especially if torquay get promoted
But if players are getting £500 & £600 a week to play part time, and many will in the National League - then it could be argued that they don't *need* a day job in any case. I'm pretty sure we've had one or two players over the last 2 seasons that have just played football for us.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:44 am

Gateshead will slide down the table and away from the playoffs. They don't get the support to sustain Conference football. It's alright talking about the potential crowds they could get, when the cold reality of the day is the number of bums on seats.

quakerman

Post by quakerman » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:06 am

Cannot see the attraction of Gateshead where wealthy owners throw money at them.They have NEVER had anywhere near decent gates even going back to the days when they were in the football league.Plain crazy.The Evostick is really their level.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:52 am

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
shildonlad wrote:
spen666 wrote:

I do not buy the line from our club that we *need* to be full time in that league, should we get promoted. Obviously it would be tough to compete, but it's not an absolute necessity to be full time. The more part time clubs that end up in the national league, the less essential it is to be full time.

In its early days, all the sides in the National League ( Conference ) were all part time. I think the first full time side were Lincoln City after they were relegated the first time in 1987.

By then the Conference had been going for a number of years. The next full time side I suspect were Darlington in 1989

The biggest issue for part time sides is players getting any necessary time off work for the longer away trips
And that is the reason why a north east conference side would suffer in the league if they were part time, theres a few long trips especially if torquay get promoted
But if players are getting £500 & £600 a week to play part time, and many will in the National League - then it could be argued that they don't *need* a day job in any case. I'm pretty sure we've had one or two players over the last 2 seasons that have just played football for us.
Harvey Saunders now?
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:42 pm

Ian Watson is now the No. 2 to new Gateshead manager Ben Clark.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:55 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
shildonlad wrote:
spen666 wrote:

Harvey Saunders now?
Yep. I doubt he will be on big money but probably enough for a 21 year old who is still at home.

Syers and Styche both were studying part time and playing football part time, same with Trotman.

Think also Gillies, Caton and Beck were just "footballers" as well, could be wrong though.

shildonlad

Post by shildonlad » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:13 pm

LoidLucan wrote:Ian Watson is now the No. 2 to new Gateshead manager Ben Clark.
Don't know much about Ian Watson but best of luck to Ben Clark, a hardworking player and knows the squad. A couple of wins should see the club safe so nowt much for Clark to loose

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:10 pm

First game in charge beating Redcar 4-1 so far. Good start, top man

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:48 pm

Must say this is all going swimmingly well!
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:02 pm

Mate has text me to say they are in a massive relegation battle

Incredible when you consider the resources they have to play with.

shildonlad

Post by shildonlad » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:41 pm

The grass aint always greener on the other side. Imagine if york go down to the evostick and its quite possible too way things are going

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:42 pm

If you've got the stamina, this look at the unfolding crisis behind the scenes at Gateshead under their dodgy and crackpot regime is worth a look...... but it's not for those of a nervous disposition.....

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/f ... d-15923014

shildonlad

Post by shildonlad » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:26 pm

LoidLucan wrote:If you've got the stamina, this look at the unfolding crisis behind the scenes at Gateshead under their dodgy and crackpot regime is worth a look...... but it's not for those of a nervous disposition.....

Nowt a shock really apart from ben clark doing a hell of a job whilst working for a guy that makes george reynolds looks a top chairman

H1987

Post by H1987 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:01 pm

Gateshead are doing remarkably well in spite of the clear and obvious problems off the field. Have to say fair play to them. I'm sure Pears is no doubt helping them a great deal. Guy's capable of playing way up the ladder.

darlo_baron

Post by darlo_baron » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:08 pm

H1987 wrote:Gateshead are doing remarkably well in spite of the clear and obvious problems off the field. Have to say fair play to them. I'm sure Pears is no doubt helping them a great deal. Guy's capable of playing way up the ladder.
If it goes tits up at Gateshead I wonder if Clark could be tempted by our job, if it was to become available.
Craig Liddle is God!!

shildonlad

Post by shildonlad » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:11 pm

Squad full of hard working eager lads and since scott boden went no conference journey men. In 6 year of watching the club pears has been the best goalie i have seen especially as hes only like what, 20/21. Credit to luke armstrong too who enjoyed his time there and wanted to stay the full season

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:32 pm

The club's fecked unless it can get these shysters out. Just a little flavour of the background of Gateshead's Chief Financial Advisor, Joe Cala... when a Morecambe fan was asked about his failed takeover there, he said: "Cala slept in our boardroom and threatened all staff with redundancy. He was kicked out of a local hotel for trying to sleep in a conference room. He rocked up in a taxi wearing a fila tracksuit."
Last edited by LoidLucan on Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shildonlad

Post by shildonlad » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:54 pm

darlo_baron wrote:
H1987 wrote:Gateshead are doing remarkably well in spite of the clear and obvious problems off the field. Have to say fair play to them. I'm sure Pears is no doubt helping them a great deal. Guy's capable of playing way up the ladder.
If it goes tits up at Gateshead I wonder if Clark could be tempted by our job, if it was to become available.
If he becomes available by been forced out or the club goes under i hope he gets another management position preferably at a pro level and i would give any club support he got a job at for sure. Hes been brave to take the job and he he sees the season out with that wanker poking his oar in he wants a medal

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:41 pm

Club now up for sale.... for a quid!

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:47 pm

LoidLucan wrote:Club now up for sale.... for a quid!
Better off investing in a 50/50 ticket :D

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:55 pm

LoidLucan wrote:Club now up for sale.... for a quid!
You just know that another rich owner will turn up, promise to invest, and babble on about the "great potential" of the club. The Heed merry go around.

Luckily for them, Graham Wood and then the last owners put loads of money in to keep them afloat until they inevitably got sick of it - the latest owners don't seem to have taken very long.

They'd be better off buying the club themselves, cutting their cloth accordingly (this would eventually lead to relegation to the Evostik), and rebuilding from there. I doubt their crowds would be much different at that level and they could be a sustainable part time club.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:57 am

shildonlad wrote:
LoidLucan wrote:If you've got the stamina, this look at the unfolding crisis behind the scenes at Gateshead under their dodgy and crackpot regime is worth a look...... but it's not for those of a nervous disposition.....

Nowt a shock really apart from ben clark doing a hell of a job whilst working for a guy that makes george reynolds looks a top chairman
No amount of shithousery could make George Reynolds look like a top chairman.

Reynolds was, and always will be, an egotistical buffoon whose own vanity has crippled this club. Our problems over the last 15 years all stem from his catastrophic tenure.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

piggy

Post by piggy » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:10 am

Darlogramps wrote:
shildonlad wrote:

No amount of shithousery could make George Reynolds look like a top chairman.

Reynolds was, and always will be, an egotistical buffoon whose own vanity has crippled this club. Our problems over the last 15 years all stem from his catastrophic tenure.
This. I’m always a little bit surprised more of our fanbase don’t acknowledge that.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:20 am

Agreed. The amount of people i see lay into Singh (and even Houghton sometimes) yet Reynolds is often ignored by many. He, his delusions, and his moronic fking stadium nearly killed the club off. Singh might've been a dick, but he's nothing on Reynolds. The man that sold off Feethams.

Can we buy Gateshead for a quid and send their best players here 'on loan'? :mrgreen: Seriously, i hope they find someone. The thing is, whatever 'potential' Gateshead might have will never be reached while they play in that athletics stadium, and beyond a passionate fan building them a new stadium, or funding them all the way to the next division, they're probably just about as high as they'll ever get. They've never been able to attract decent crowds when they've been riding high in the conference.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:41 pm

Sorry but we're we not going into administration when Reynolds stepped up and paid off the acquired debt To HMRC and other debts, I seem to remember the administrators were actually on the premises when George rocked up in his roller stopped the administration at that point paying off the required amounts. Otherwise we would have gone way back then. So we got a few more years with him.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:07 pm

onewayup wrote:Sorry but we're we not going into administration when Reynolds stepped up and paid off the acquired debt To HMRC and other debts, I seem to remember the administrators were actually on the premises when George rocked up in his roller stopped the administration at that point paying off the required amounts. Otherwise we would have gone way back then. So we got a few more years with him.
And he left us in an even worse mess, in administration with the millstone of the Arena choking us.

It also doesn't excuse Reynolds' financial incompetence, bullying of staff, bullying of players, bullying of fans, bullying of journalists, hideous lack of planning, building a monstrosity of a stadium because of own ego, plunging us into administration, asking fans for a fight at fans' forums, his wife accusing players of throwing matches, and just generally being an arsehole.

Perhaps some people need to comfort themselves with the idea Reynolds was some happy-go-lucky wide-boy who didn't have devious intentions.

I'm sorry but it's all nonsense. The man was a bully, an incompetent and a crook who did untold damage to this club, which we've never really recovered from.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:20 pm

I've sometimes wondered what would have happened to us had George not rocked up.
We would have gone in 1999, probably restarted in Evostik Div 1 North, like Halifax did. The landscape wasn't as brutal in Non-League then. We'd probably still be at Feethams playing where we are now or even National League. Certainly better off than we are now. We would have had to have funded improvements to Feethams, but I certainly agree with Gramps that long term Reynolds did us more damage saving us than if we had gone then.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:21 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
onewayup wrote:Sorry but we're we not going into administration when Reynolds stepped up and paid off the acquired debt To HMRC and other debts, I seem to remember the administrators were actually on the premises when George rocked up in his roller stopped the administration at that point paying off the required amounts. Otherwise we would have gone way back then. So we got a few more years with him.
And he left us in an even worse mess, in administration with the millstone of the Arena choking us.

It also doesn't excuse Reynolds' financial incompetence, bullying of staff, bullying of players, bullying of fans, bullying of journalists, hideous lack of planning, building a monstrosity of a stadium because of own ego, plunging us into administration, asking fans for a fight at fans' forums, his wife accusing players of throwing matches, and just generally being an arsehole.

Perhaps some people need to comfort themselves with the idea Reynolds was some happy-go-lucky wide-boy who didn't have devious intentions.

I'm sorry but it's all nonsense. The man was a bully, an incompetent and a crook who did untold damage to this club, which we've never really recovered from.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Can I get an hallelujah :clap:

Amen. Everything that followed (and i'm not defending those who followed to any great degree, simply suggesting there should be context applied) was *all* started by Reynolds. He made the mess, which Houghton and Singh didn't exactly help, but they didn't start the damned process either. If George Reynolds never happened to this football club, we would still be playing at Feethams in the Football League.