Statement from the board

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

eddie-rowles
Team Supported: Darlington

Statement from the board

Post by eddie-rowles » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:13 am

Well aware of fans frustrations. Only one sensible outcome start requesting manager CV's ready for when TW contract expires?

BaronsCourtQuaker

Re: Statement from the board

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:23 am

Seems to me to be a good idea putting this out there.

Fans have vented but constantly sniping at matches and online at needing a new manger doesn’t seem very helpful to me. Rightly or wrongly it seems that Tommy is here for the run in, its time to support the team, make playing for the club pleasurable rather than fraught and to get out of this mess.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:45 am

Sensible, well thought out statement. We're hardly likely to change things so near to the end of the season and it could cause more problems than it solves. It's good to see the Board are trying to sort out a net cafe and are fully aware of the strength of feeling. As Barons says we need to get behind the team and stay in this division.

MKDarlo

Post by MKDarlo » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:26 pm

it is a timely statement, however it doesn't address the key issue.

If only getting behind the lads was enough. No amount of supporting the team will overcome the obvious problems with the squad or the short comings of the manager. No amount of backing can prevent the kind of embarrassing collapse we saw on Saturday.

Does our building towards a better future include relegation? With Wright at the helm that is a distinct possibility.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:38 pm

MKDarlo wrote:it is a timely statement, however it doesn't address the key issue.

If only getting behind the lads was enough. No amount of supporting the team will overcome the obvious problems with the squad or the short comings of the manager. No amount of backing can prevent the kind of embarrassing collapse we saw on Saturday.

Does our building towards a better future include relegation? With Wright at the helm that is a distinct possibility.
Not getting on players backs after a mistake does help though. Although hes been poor, I dont see the point in Henshall being booed when his name is read out. It puts him on a downer before a ball is kicked.
Also some of the comments shouted post match on saturday were beyond the mark, from people who should know and act better. Yes we were all pissed off but shouting "f**k off you're f**king sh*te" at players like Saunders, Galbraith and Thompson is way over the top.

divas

Post by divas » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:09 pm

MKDarlo wrote:it is a timely statement, however it doesn't address the key issue.

I expect (hope) the board have weighed up whether removing Wright at this juncture is the best course of action to stay in the division, which is clearly the only objective left this season, and have decided leaving him in position at the moment and giving him resource to strengthen is the best move.

Seems like the dreaded vote of confidence to me and think the next couple of games are make or break.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:21 pm

Two things that strike me from that statement.

1. TW not referred to by name. There was no "Get behind Tommy and the team." People can read into that what they will. And a clear admission results have been below expectations.

2. No commitment to TW beyond the end of the season.

To me, this is the clearest indication the board are looking beyond TW for next season.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:38 pm

Does anyone know exactly when TW is contracted until, hopefully only until the end of season.
Of course we need to support the team in next few games and the sensible fans will see that, but only hope the board don’t see it as any kind of vague success if we stay in this Division and decide to keep them on!
Surely use this next period to do due diligence on prospective managers with a view to changing literally as soon as the season and hopefully his contract ends!
If TW and or AW are with us beyond the season end then that will be a completely wrong decision in my view.
Surely this time, one new signing whether loan or out of contract just has to be a tough holding midfielder and not another young inexperienced kid!
Surely!

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:35 pm

A measured statement, the board will obviously be as disappointed as the rest of us. However let’s get behind the players and management on Saturday and get 3pts as it’s vital we stay up.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:50 pm

Like Gramps says, at the very least the board are keeping their options open by being non-committal.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:41 pm

Oh for a Styche or Nelson with a monster in midfield. We'd probably be in a secure position and not fearing relegation.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:58 pm

don'tbuythesun wrote:Oh for a Styche or Nelson with a monster in midfield. We'd probably be in a secure position and not fearing relegation.

Too bloody right.

Tommy may not up to it - but I can't help but feel he's been 'hung out to dry' a bit. He's not the only one making decisions about how the club is run and this situation reminds me of the present government who think that they can just keep on cutting cutting cutting, then wonder why things don't work properly.

Yet again the squad is down to its bare bones, we're sleeping walking into a relegation battle through a lack of resources.

And as for the statement, my view is that a fans forum will be a mistake.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:09 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
don'tbuythesun wrote:Oh for a Styche or Nelson with a monster in midfield. We'd probably be in a secure position and not fearing relegation.

Too bloody right.

Tommy may not up to it - but I can't help but feel he's been 'hung out to dry' a bit. He's not the only one making decisions about how the club is run and this situation reminds me of the present government who think that they can just keep on cutting cutting cutting, then wonder why things don't work properly.

Yet again the squad is down to its bare bones, we're sleeping walking into a relegation battle through a lack of resources.

Totally agree with you about a forum.With an absolutely toxic atmosphere around the club it would be a disaster.All it would need is half a dozen of the Nuneaton mob to turn up and we could end up with a mass resignation from the board.

holmesdale

Post by holmesdale » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:18 pm

Sensible approach, we need to get to the end of the season in this division - a few more points is all that is needed and we will get there with some backbone in midfield and a bit of resolve. Without the injury to Romal on Saturday we would have come away with something.

Disrupt things further at the moment and we run a real risk of turning a drama into a crisis.

Its a bad season, lets be prepared to get over it.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:32 pm

It may be that major decisions will have been made by the time we have the Fans Forum

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:02 pm

"Tommy may not be up to it - but I can't help but feel he's been 'hung out to dry' a bit. We're sleeping walking into a relegation battle through a lack of resources."

Yeah, let's forget about the largely poor summer recruitment, the lightweight, unbalanced squad that lacked strength and leadership even before any cutbacks had to be made. Let's forget about the chopping and changing of team and formations, the lack of leadership and organisation when it was desperately needed, the failure to dip into the loan market for so long and the mistakes that have been repeated throughout the season.

I don't doubt it became more challenging as the season went on when the patchy or dire football and appalling results led to a big dip in income as interest in the club started to wane. But don't try to portray this as just a manager put into an impossible situation. TW's failings as a manager have been clear to see for anyone following this club and have played a huge part in the mess we are in. The warning signs were there in the very first game of this season against Curzon Ashton and that kind of 'half-a-match' display has been repeated regularly. TW's later records with Corby and Nuneaton have been repeated here and there's no getting away from that.

divas

Post by divas » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:08 pm

It does however demonstrate the value of not spending all of the budget up front and holding some back which means you don’t have to disassemble your squad if there’s a small shortfall, especially as it’s your better players that are easier to move on.

In recent years we just kept ploughing on and filled the hole at the end of the season which is why we find ourselves where we are. I don’t mind the prudent approach in terms of managing the finances on an ongoing basis (not that we have much of a choice these days) but it’s got to be structured in such a way that it has as little impact as possible.

It’s been a downward spiral since the start of the season sadly. We need to get safe as soon as possible and replan, regroup and reconnect for next season

divas

Post by divas » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:12 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:

Too bloody right.

Unfortunately we have what we have. Short of asking the fans to dig into their pockets again after we’d already provided £80K there is little that could be done other than keep cutting unless I’m missing something. In hindsight not signing Ainge and keeping that money as headroom may have meant that the cuts were not so severe and we hadn’t lose the better players. A learning for next season when setting a playing budget perhaps.

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:47 pm

to me the statement reads lets get behind the team until the end of the season.
Then everything is potentially on the table.
TW still has it in his own hands if he can somehow finish with a positive end to the season then maybe he stays however if the season fizzles out which is what is happening at the moment, I think he could go.
If he does go it is essential we appoint someone local, someone who lives local and has good knowledge of north east football. A large majority of our players and staff should be local - we are living from hand to mouth, and are only sustainable if we limit as much waste as possible.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

bga

Post by bga » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:08 pm

I can to an extent, understand why individuals have not been named just "The Management Team." It is interesting there is no recognition of any "achievements" this season of the same Team e.g. the Academy etc. or acknowledging players have had to be sold to balance the books. As others have said The Management Team's days seem numbered.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:44 pm

[quote="bga"]I can to an extent, understand why individuals have not been named just "The Management Team." It is interesting there is no recognition of any "achievements" this season of the same Team e.g. the Academy etc. or acknowledging players have had to be sold to balance the books. As others have said The Management Team's days seem numbered.[/quot

Or are they. Humm

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:56 pm

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:If he does go it is essential we appoint someone local, someone who lives local and has good knowledge of north east football. A large majority of our players and staff should be local - we are living from hand to mouth, and are only sustainable if we limit as much waste as possible.
Maybe this is a good time to rethink this. Our past 2 managers have based us out of Darlington and then referenced player premium of north east players. If I am not mistaken player salary has dropped more than player expenses has risen despite further distances that players travel from.

Maybe it is time we based ourselves out of Leeds? Similar to what Barrow do (train Monday - Friday near Manchester). I am not sure how much that would add to Thompson & Galbraith’s journey mind.

We could potentially pull in players from the Manchester, Leeds, Hull and down to Sheffield maybe even Nottingham. Give us a much bigger population where we could pull players in from.

Beano

Post by Beano » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:40 pm

divas wrote:It does however demonstrate the value of not spending all of the budget up front and holding some back which means you don’t have to disassemble your squad if there’s a small shortfall, especially as it’s your better players that are easier to move on.
An excellent point, Divas, and one the club is worth noting.

Beano

Post by Beano » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:43 pm

lo36789 wrote:
PierremontQuaker03 wrote:If he does go it is essential we appoint someone local, someone who lives local and has good knowledge of north east football. A large majority of our players and staff should be local - we are living from hand to mouth, and are only sustainable if we limit as much waste as possible.
Maybe this is a good time to rethink this. Our past 2 managers have based us out of Darlington and then referenced player premium of north east players. If I am not mistaken player salary has dropped more than player expenses has risen despite further distances that players travel from.

Maybe it is time we based ourselves out of Leeds? Similar to what Barrow do (train Monday - Friday near Manchester). I am not sure how much that would add to Thompson & Galbraith’s journey mind.

We could potentially pull in players from the Manchester, Leeds, Hull and down to Sheffield maybe even Nottingham. Give us a much bigger population where we could pull players in from.
Kendal do the same, as do a few others in different regions, with players only travelling to the club on match days. Toronto Rugby League have a similar policy.

It would be a difficult PR sell, but would make no material difference. I’ve heard a lot worse ideas.

bga

Post by bga » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:36 am

Beano wrote:
lo36789 wrote:

Kendal do the same, as do a few others in different regions, with players only travelling to the club on match days. Toronto Rugby League have a similar policy.

It would be a difficult PR sell, but would make no material difference. I’ve heard a lot worse ideas.
Don't think I have ever heard a worse idea! Has this season not taught you and lo anything? Despite DJ stating the local pool of players we can afford is getting smaller as PierremontQuaker says we need a local Manager with local connections it is not all about finances.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:48 am

bga wrote:Don't think I have ever heard a worse idea! Has this season not taught you and lo anything? Despite DJ stating the local pool of players we can afford is getting smaller as PierremontQuaker says we need a local Manager with local connections it is not all about finances.
Because this season we have had a 'remote' training location outside of the North East with players and manager within easy commute of training.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:33 am

lo36789 wrote:
bga wrote:Don't think I have ever heard a worse idea! Has this season not taught you and lo anything? Despite DJ stating the local pool of players we can afford is getting smaller as PierremontQuaker says we need a local Manager with local connections it is not all about finances.
Because this season we have had a 'remote' training location outside of the North East with players and manager within easy commute of training.

I agree with bga, lo’s little idea is terrible and is guaranteed to nullify any kind of feeling most people round here hold for our beloved club.

Incidentally, I’m aware that all is not harmonious behind the scenes at DFC - the pressure is being felt not only by TW and AW.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

carlodarlo

Post by carlodarlo » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:57 am

Beano wrote:
lo36789 wrote:

Kendal train in Kendal through pre-season and then move to Lancaster or Heysham when the nights draw in. Its about a 25 minute drive from Kendal tops. They did attract players from Burnley, Blackburn, Liverpool, etc to play for them but they seldom last any length of time at the club. For the past few seasons they have made a concerted effort to have more of the team from the Kendal area, However since then the club have pulled all payment of wages and now they are left with a squad made up of local players who aren't really good enough and are playing for nothing.
There is no right and wrong way to do it. It makes sense that if we trained in Leeds (for example) we would maybe have a bigger catchment area for players to pick from. However doing this can upset the bond between fans and players as there is no connection easily made as there is between a north east lad playing for the club. This has pretty much happened this season. I would rather we trained in the Darlington area and had the nucleus off our squad based around the north east but this isn't as easy as it was when we were coming through the leagues as we were first choice for the best talent in the area ahead of Spennymoor, South Shields, etc. Not sure that is now the case.

Gow9900

Post by Gow9900 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:36 am

I think we would all love a team like we have had in recent years made up of North East lads but things have changed since then.

Spennymoor have really stepped up the recruitment in the last few years, South Shields are having money flung at them and will be in our league in the next few years, we have a similar type of budget to Blyth, Gateshead are cutting costs so will be looking to recruit from the same pool moving forward as opposed to them previously recruiting from all over the country, Morpeth are cantering to their league so will be in the league below next season and I believe they have a backer so them and Shields could be at the same level as us in the next few years. Even Scarborough as they will likely look to recruit players from Teesside way and will likely be in our league in the next few years. Lots more teams trying to sign players from the same small pool of players.

When we were demoted for the first few years we could basically get who we wanted whereas now the landscape has changed completely. and players go where they get looked after financially the best mainly, you may get the odd exception, but we aren't the great pull that some of our fans thing we are. The fact we were in the Football League for years doesn't mean anything when a club is chucking an extra £100 a week at you with a big signing on fee.

Looking slightly further afield is a good idea, but I think it has to be within reason, as recruiting a large number of our players from 3 hours away has been a disaster and can't be maintained going forward. Cartman, Syers, Gaskell etc are examples of how looking slightly further afield works, but recruiting players from the Midlands isn't going to work on the whole.

Beano

Post by Beano » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:11 pm

I don’t understand the obsession with former Darlo players and managers (only Brian Little and Mark Cooper aside as they won trophies).

The notion that the bond between fans and club would be broken if the bulk of the players can from outside our area is nonsense. The majority of Gray’s recruitment came from the wider Newcastle area, of which we have little connection other than the majority of North East based players live in that area and that is the Northern League heartland.

A significant proportion of our fan base is from outside the town in County Durham and North Yorkshire as it is. Clearly, the Midlands experiment has failed, but we’ve had many excellent players from Yorkshire over the years, including Marco Gabbiadini.