Piece on us in the new When Saturday Comes

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

sue_donym
Team Supported: Darlington

Piece on us in the new When Saturday Comes

Post by sue_donym » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:39 pm

As above there's a piece on us in the new WSC, centering on the Southport game. I haven't read it yet but be interesting to see what they make of us.

https://www.wsc.co.uk/stories/14204-wsc-385-out-now

sue_donym

Re: Piece on us in the new When Saturday Comes

Post by sue_donym » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:41 pm

Should it's written by Harry Pearson, one of my favourite sports writers and author of the Far Corner, absolutely indispensable book on north-east football.

en passant

Post by en passant » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:47 pm

sue_donym wrote:Should it's written by Harry Pearson, one of my favourite sports writers and author of the Far Corner, absolutely indispensable book on north-east football.
I read that many years ago, long before we ended up joining the ranks of the one man and his dog leagues that it describes. A wonderfully evocative and gently humorous book that should be essential reading for any football fan, and probably even more so for the powers that be in the game to remind them where football came from, and how vital it is to not lose its grass roots.

robsraiders

Post by robsraiders » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:49 pm

sue_donym wrote:Should it's written by Harry Pearson, one of my favourite sports writers and author of the Far Corner, absolutely indispensable book on north-east football.
Brilliant book, and I had a chat to Harry at the game, he asked me a few questions not sure if they got covered in the article, will have to buy it to find out !

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:04 am

Great article read it in WHSmiths too tight to buy copy.We certainly are at a crossroads and he was spot on about the ref who was a total muppet.

murtonquaker
Team Supported: Mighty Darlo

Post by murtonquaker » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:30 pm

I'm subbed to WSC...

I have attached some screenshots of WSC's report on us [img]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201903 ... ffc397.jpg[/img][img]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201903 ... c762ad.jpg[/img][img]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201903 ... 10cd52.jpg[/img]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:01 pm

A good, well written read. Putting over our present position very well.

I especially liked his observation of the Rugby club’s permanently faulty club clock, the one that sits inside a piece of brickwork above the clubhouse roof. This clock as we all know is either set at the wrong time or stuck still. It’s not important in any way but does irritate me, I mean, what’s the point in building it in the first place if you’re not going to maintain it and not going to use it?
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:23 pm

Buy a copy, you tightwads! No wonder publishing is so buggered.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:38 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:A good, well written read. Putting over our present position very well.

I especially liked his observation of the Rugby club’s permanently faulty club clock, the one that sits inside a piece of brickwork above the clubhouse roof. This clock as we all know is either set at the wrong time or stuck still. It’s not important in any way but does irritate me, I mean, what’s the point in building it in the first place if you’re not going to maintain it and not going to use it?
Yes, the permanently faulty clock is irritaing but more importantly I think its highly symbolic of just how amateurish the rugby club are.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:40 pm

Swimming against the tide here, but i find something endearing about a knackered clock.

Lets face it, what made Feethams great was that it was shabby. Crumbling terraces, disgusting toilets, a weird sports hall in a corner? That's a proper football ground.

Simultaneously, what made the Arena so revoltingly bland was the lack of a single endearing feature. I'm all for uniquely crap features. I quite like the clubhouse for some reason, although i hope one day we can configure it so it provides some useful seating down that side - wouldn't be an easy redesign of course, but may be necessary long term. I'd leave the knackered clock though.

en passant

Post by en passant » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:41 am

Even a broken clock tells the correct time twice a day and this one doesn't get that much right.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:36 am

Yarblockos wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:A good, well written read. Putting over our present position very well.

Yes, the permanently faulty clock is irritaing but more importantly I think its highly symbolic of just how amateurish the rugby club are.

The rugby club ARE an amateur club. They don't claim to be anything else do they?

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:48 am

Yarblockos wrote:

Whereas we are the epitome of professionalism. And still the Billy Big Bollocks attitude prevails, despite any evidence it's justified.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:37 pm

spen666 wrote:
Yarblockos wrote:

The rugby club ARE an amateur club. They don't claim to be anything else do they?
You don't need to be professional to act in a professional manner, nor do you need to be paid full time in order to bother correcting a clock once a year.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:29 pm

but also remember...it is just a clock.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:38 pm

It is just a clock Lo, you are correct...

I bought the magazine (well in truth it was a present) and it was a very good article. It’s just that the football journalist noticed said clock, and so will anyone else of note, or not of note who visits our ground.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:47 pm

I expect most people who don't need stuff to fill an article will;
1. look at the clock
2. double take and think "that doesn't seem right"
3. look at their phone or watch for the time
4. realise "oh - clock is broke"
5. move on with their lives

spen666

Post by spen666 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:51 pm

lo36789 wrote:I expect most people who don't need stuff to fill an article will;
1. look at the clock
2. double take and think "that doesn't seem right"
3. look at their phone or watch for the time
4. realise "oh - clock is broke"
5. move on with their lives
6. Realise it is the landlords responsibility anyway, so not hold it against the football club

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:14 pm

I used to have a friend who kept on changing the sound that his alarm clock made.

I wonder what he’s getting up to now?
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:07 pm

Yarblockos wrote:

Helpful comment. Not.

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:55 pm

Just got round to reading this. Pearson refers to the trophy cabinet at BM being devoted solely devoted to rugby. That got me thinking: where's DFC's silverware got to?

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:47 pm

Probably sold off together with the rest of the family silver, Styche / Syers / Saunders / O'Hanlon / Hughes etc to plug holes in our budget!