Trotman extends contract

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

tezza
Team Supported: Darlington

Trotman extends contract

Post by tezza » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:29 am

Positive move by club.

Could even suggest Tommy Wright staying and making sound plans for next season.

Good news day

Beano

Re: Trotman extends contract

Post by Beano » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:38 am

tezza wrote:Positive move by club.

Could even suggest Tommy Wright staying and making sound plans for next season.

Good news day
It is a case of the club securing one of its best assets.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:59 am

Great news, it could also mean that other clubs are looking at him and it's a way that we'll get a fee for him. I reckon it also indicates that Tommy will be with us next season and is making plans for next season.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:23 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:Great news, it could also mean that other clubs are looking at him and it's a way that we'll get a fee for him. I reckon it also indicates that Tommy will be with us next season and is making plans for next season.
I think Tommy will be here next season ,as a major factor will be the development of the youth academy which seems to be going very well and this news about Luke has swayed me into thinking this is the more likely scenario.May be wrong though

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:32 am

Happy with this - we either have a good RB here for next season, or we make a bit of money in the summer

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:29 am

Lots of straw-clutching going on here. Trotman is one of our most, if not our most sellable player.

Tying him down guarantees us a fee should he leave, or means we have him around for next year. It's just sensible management from DJ. A fairly obvious move.

I think it means very little with regards Wright. If we start seeing new signings agreed, or if we get decisions on players departing, that would be more of an indicator Wright is staying.

Indeed in the statement, there's no reference to TW talking about HIM building for the new campaign .

If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

dfc4me

Post by dfc4me » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:05 am

Seem to remember Heaton signing a new deal towards the end of last season. I think something similar will happen with Trotman and he will move on in the summer, hopefully for a sizeable fee.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:13 am

Good move by the club to secure Luke has definitely been one of our best and most consistent players over the last 18 months.

He would be more than deserving of the opportunity to test himself full time again. But, as someone mentioned above, he will be going into the final year of his degree next year at (Loughborough?) Uni. So it would be whether he wants to juggle FT football with evening classes etc. Think he would be more than capable in the league above though. Maybe even league 2 in the right team.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:52 am

Seems it's believed we have triggered an extension to his contract so ties him down to us for another year.

Quite happy with that as we either keep him for a season or he leaves for a fee, we could do with some stability as the squad is so small anyhow - I would prefer to keep him for a year.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:04 pm

What's not to like.

Even if its a new deal with a view to selling him, it will increase the fee the club can hold out for.

If its not with a view to selling him, then its keeping one of the better players for another year.

Good business whether its by TW ( and he is staying) or whether its by the club and TW is not staying. Its unlikely a new manager would not rate an England C player

I can't see a downside for Darlington

Gow9900

Post by Gow9900 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:36 pm

Great news.

One of our best players, involved with England C so will have lots of eyes on him.

If he stays, we have an excellent player.

If he leaves, we get money for him and potential from add on's, and further enhance our reputation as a club that players can develop at and then move on to a higher level.

Literally no negatives for me.

bga

Post by bga » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:50 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:52 am
Seems it's believed we have triggered an extension to his contract so ties him down to us for another year.

Quite happy with that as we either keep him for a season or he leaves for a fee, we could do with some stability as the squad is so small anyhow - I would prefer to keep him for a year.
"So ties him down...……………………." does sound a bit like he may not have wanted a one year extension! But I think I know what you mean he would still have to agree to this.

bga

Post by bga » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:55 pm

JE93 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:13 am
Good move by the club to secure Luke has definitely been one of our best and most consistent players over the last 18 months.

He would be more than deserving of the opportunity to test himself full time again. But, as someone mentioned above, he will be going into the final year of his degree next year at (Loughborough?) Uni. So it would be whether he wants to juggle FT football with evening classes etc. Think he would be more than capable in the league above though. Maybe even league 2 in the right team.
We probably all have a view of how many free hours students get! However, I don't think modern Degree courses consist of "evening classes," therefore I guess he often has Lectures during the day before heading up to Darlo twice a week to train. Like all part time footballers with another "job" bit of a juggling act really.

50 years

Post by 50 years » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:28 pm

I seem to remember that DJ mentioned that they had a couple of offers for Luke but had turned them down. I think this was after Styche and Syers had left so assume the club are valuing him as an assett whose value will increase, which seems certainly posible, having had great game for England C.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:23 am

Definitely good news and should be an example to others about commitment to the club and fans. Luke deserves success and his displays have made him a firm favourite.

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:29 am

That’s great news, really like Trotman. I expect TW to be here next season as Trots wouldn’t have signed if Tommy was moving on and would have found a club more local to him.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:42 am

quakersfan wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:29 am
That’s great news, really like Trotman. I expect TW to be here next season as Trots wouldn’t have signed if Tommy was moving on and would have found a club more local to him.
I hope your right, Tommy will prove the doubters wrong and players like Trotman will be the cornerstone of a good team for next season.

shawry

Post by shawry » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:56 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
quakersfan wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:29 am
I hope your right, Tommy will prove the doubters wrong and players like Trotman will be the cornerstone of a good team for next season.
Wasnt he supposed to do that this season though?

What evidence do you have that he will turn things around?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Beano

Post by Beano » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:48 pm

quakersfan wrote:That’s great news, really like Trotman. I expect TW to be here next season as Trots wouldn’t have signed if Tommy was moving on and would have found a club more local to him.
2 + 2 = 71

The club had an option and extended it. He is one of our most valuable assets, regardless of whether he stays or not.

shawry

Post by shawry » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:29 pm

Beano wrote:
quakersfan wrote:That’s great news, really like Trotman. I expect TW to be here next season as Trots wouldn’t have signed if Tommy was moving on and would have found a club more local to him.
2 + 2 = 71

The club had an option and extended it. He is one of our most valuable assets, regardless of whether he stays or not.
In fairness the way the club reported it was that he had agreed to extend his stay for an extra year.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:29 pm

shawry wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:29 pm
Beano wrote:
2 + 2 = 71

In fairness the way the club reported it was that he had agreed to extend his stay for an extra year.

Yep but it's believed we have exercised a one year extension that was in the contract and in the clubs favour. The club probably were never going to word it in that way, doesn't matter anyhow Trotman stays and we await a decision on Wright in regards to next season

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:23 pm

Another great performance from Trotman today.

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:07 pm

Interesting how players sign new contracts one week and the manager gets the sack the following week, you wonder who is making the footballing decisions within clubs. It doesn't take a genius to understand that Trotman is a very good player at this level, but with a decision yet to be made on the manager when this contract was offered maybe a new manager will not suit Trotman. I remember when TW first came to the club, Thommo was in and out of the team and had to fight to get his place back (which is a given of course).
Ultimately now that TW is going there is going to be a mass exodus of players and this campaign has been a terrible one, so a new manager needs as much of a blank sheet of paper to work with so he can bring in his own players.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:19 pm

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:07 pm
Interesting how players sign new contracts one week and the manager gets the sack the following week, you wonder who is making the footballing decisions within clubs. It doesn't take a genius to understand that Trotman is a very good player at this level, but with a decision yet to be made on the manager when this contract was offered maybe a new manager will not suit Trotman. I remember when TW first came to the club, Thommo was in and out of the team and had to fight to get his place back (which is a given of course).
Ultimately now that TW is going there is going to be a mass exodus of players and this campaign has been a terrible one, so a new manager needs as much of a blank sheet of paper to work with so he can bring in his own players.
So you think we shouldn't have exercised the one year extension on Trotman's contract, a player picked to play England C, a decent enough player who scouts have been to watch and we could move on probably quite easiy if we wanted to?

Or we let his contract run out and he looks elsewhere, seemed like even if the cleaner/groundsman made the decision it was the correct decision to extend his contract.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:31 pm

A new manager would not get rid of any quality players. Once the new guy comes in and if we are playing better and achieving better results, any player is going to prefer that.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:34 pm

Clearly it was a no brainer to exercise our option on Trotman. If he doesn't suit our new manager then we will be able to sell him, for a decent amount of money. But I'd be very surprised if our new manager didn't want to keep him in the starting 11. No manager worth his salt is going to let go of our best player.