Tommy Wright: 19/20 Season. Yay or Nay

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Keep it simple, #TommyIn or #TommyOut for the 19/20 season?

Poll ended at Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:03 pm

#TommyIn
41%
#TommyOut
59%

Total votes: 88

AndyPark
Team Supported: Darlington

Tommy Wright: 19/20 Season. Yay or Nay

Post by AndyPark » Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:03 pm

Darlo_Pete

Re: Tommy Wright: 19/20 Season. Yay or Nay

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:13 pm

Do we really need yet another vote about this, as we had one around a month ago and opinion was fairly divided.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:21 pm

Well since we’ve won 3 on the bounce and people seem to be accepting that he might be staying.

Wonder what people’s views are now.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:46 pm

Sadly I doubt people's opinions will have changed much between then and now.

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:12 pm

GO GO GO

Fat josh

Post by Fat josh » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:37 pm

Sack him the second the season ends, simples
    King of uncovered

Leader of the true fans against the Arena return resistance movement

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:17 pm

We had the same poll last month and the result was a majority wanted TW gone. Andy is pro-TW and wouldn't have set this up if Darlo hadn't won three on the spin.

For once I actually agree with Darlo_Pete. Doubtless we'll have to have another poll at the end of the season too.
    If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:27 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
    Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:17 pm
    We had the same poll last month and the result was a majority wanted TW gone. Andy is pro-TW and wouldn't have set this up if Darlo hadn't won three on the spin.

For once I actually agree with Darlo_Pete. Doubtless we'll have to have another poll at the end of the season too.
    Oh get off your fucking high horse you massive prick.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:46 pm

AndyPark wrote:
    Darlogramps wrote:

Yawn. You never change Andy. You lack the wit and intelligence to argue back so resort to abuse. Always the same. Come back when you've got a less boring and more worthwhile contribution to make.

But I'm not wrong. If we hadn't had won these three games, this poll wouldn't have been created.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:38 am

Also so far 25 people have voted, which is hardly representative of our total support.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:15 am

Darlogramps wrote:
    Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:46 pm
    AndyPark wrote:
    Darlogramps wrote:

Yawn. You never change Andy. You lack the wit and intelligence to argue back so resort to abuse. Always the same. Come back when you've got a less boring and more worthwhile contribution to make.

But I'm not wrong. If we hadn't had won these three games, this poll wouldn't have been created.
    Abuse? Didn't you tell someone in another thread to 'get in the sea'

coles

Post by coles » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:00 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:Also so far 25 people have voted, which is hardly representative of our total support.
    You can spin that argument both ways though only 25 people voted not a big endorsement or only 25 people voted not a big Tommy out campaign

jjlewis1k89

Post by jjlewis1k89 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:15 am

It’s a nay from me, in the 18 months he’s been in charge we’ve been mostly awful, we had a mini run that saved him last year and we’ve been lucky that there’s been 3 worse teams than us this year.

His recruitment has been poor and his man management skills are lacking proved by players not turning up to training.

I don’t think that winning the last 3 games is enough to save his job, it’s clear the majority of the fans want him gone, I’d love to know when his contract is up so we can get rid of the clown!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:20 am

I'd be surprised if Trots has signed a new contract knowing TW were going.. So it's a yay from me

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:33 am

D_F_C wrote:
    Darlogramps wrote:
    Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:46 pm
    AndyPark wrote:
    Darlogramps wrote:

Abuse? Didn't you tell someone in another thread to 'get in the sea'
    Congratulations on taking comments out of context.

If you think jokingly being exasperated at someone saying we can challenge for the play-offs next year on the back of three results, is comparable to calling someone a massive prick, you're comically letting yourself down.

Do you regularly take comments out of context, or is it only when you have points to score?
    Last edited by Darlogramps on Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:35 am

jjlewis1k89 wrote:
    Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:15 am
    It’s a nay from me, in the 18 months he’s been in charge we’ve been mostly awful, we had a mini run that saved him last year and we’ve been lucky that there’s been 3 worse teams than us this year.

His recruitment has been poor and his man management skills are lacking proved by players not turning up to training
    Currently 7 teams worse than us.
    Also the old “not turning up for training” argument, this was down to players works commitments and injuries etc, not that they couldn’t be arsed to turn up.
    One reason Kit Elliott didn’t get a start till this week was because his commitments with his parent club meant he wasn’t able to train with us so Wright couldn’t work on team shape with him so they had to go with players who were available.

DFCAnth

Post by DFCAnth » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:09 am

I think everyone understands that Kit wasn’t playing due to not training.

What I don’t understand though is, why sign him in the first place? Surely it is agreed when signing how often he will train and what days he is required at Huddersfield? If we were told he would only be available match days then it should be a case of thanks, but no thanks. We have had players left out of the squad recently so it’s not a case of having no choice.

In regards to the poll - time for a change for me. I like Tommy as a bloke but his past record isn’t pretty and I can’t see this changing unfortunately.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:30 am

DFCAnth wrote:
    Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:09 am
    I think everyone understands that Kit wasn’t playing due to not training.

What I don’t understand though is, why sign him in the first place? Surely it is agreed when signing how often he will train and what days he is required at Huddersfield? If we were told he would only be available match days then it should be a case of thanks, but no thanks. We have had players left out of the squad recently so it’s not a case of having no choice.

In regards to the poll - time for a change for me. I like Tommy as a bloke but his past record isn’t pretty and I can’t see this changing unfortunately.
    It was more a case of because he didn't get on in his first game at Nuneaton it meant that Huddersfield used him in their development squad match a few days later and this created a knock on effect, he played for them and didn't train with us.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:14 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
    Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:38 am
    Also so far 25 people have voted, which is hardly representative of our total support.
    Why isn't it?

lifetime darlo fan

Post by lifetime darlo fan » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:19 am

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
    Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:14 am
    Darlo_Pete wrote:
    Why isn't it?
    I think he means its not a true proportionate representative of the fan base

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:25 am

My own views on Wright are that I don't rate him as a manager and even if he somehow makes impressive summer signings with a reduced budget you just know we won't achieve anything anyway. Then again, we can't afford to achieve anything because success brings massively increased costs for a start. Getting the ground up to the next level (without full grant aid if we get promoted too soon), massively increased travel costs, massively increased full time budget - though the latter I think we could try and compete part time for a while in the National League. Anyway...

Might as well keep Wright and just bimble along lower mid table, hopefully his work on the academy will bear fruit for us long term, and hopefully the same with Morley trying to increase commercial income.

One thing you can say about Wright is despite his failings on the pitch, what he has going for him is that he works hard off it, and that's to his credit. He also seems to be able to work with whatever the club throws at him regarding budgets - yes he's had a good budget but at the same time he's dealt with mid season cuts (before anyone says it - it's irrelevant if the cuts were down to his poor performance) without too much fuss.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:29 am

lifetime darlo fan wrote:
    Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:19 am
    Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
    Darlo_Pete wrote:
    Why isn't it?
    Why isn't it?

At what number can we say "ah that's more like it, that's a good representation of the fanbase"? 50? 100?, 500? Everyone?

Polls should be "reasonably" representative even with only a small number of respondents, and there's no good basis to believe that the small number of respondents will be biased completely differently to the whole.

lifetime darlo fan

Post by lifetime darlo fan » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:39 am

On the basis of our average attendance I'd suggest 25 people participating on an unofficial online poll is not proportionate of our fan base

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:46 am

Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:39 am
    On the basis of our average attendance I'd suggest 25 people participating on an unofficial online poll is not proportionate of our fan base
    Lucky we're up to 34 then.

But as said, what is proportionate and who decides the figure anyway? Do you think the percentages will differ much if we ask 25 people or 34 people or 100 people or 1000 people?

My guess is that the results will be pretty similar with any number of respondents.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:10 am

Doesn't seem a strong view either way. Our very own Brexit.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:11 am

For me its down to the abilities of whoever is to replace Wright if that happens of course.
    Is it a case of better the devil you know or take a punt on someone looking for their first job or someone from a lower level with no experience of this level?
    Ghost makes a good point regarding the clubs inability to take on the next level financially at the moment. We would have to bite the bullet and go back to the arena for a start.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:00 pm

Ghost does make some good points but I will flag up one thing I don’t like. No team can just “bimble along lower mid table” this is not any kind of mantra to adopt. Fans and potential fans will simply drift away.

I like Wright, and I thought up until recently that he was getting an overly hard time from certain quarters, and I also stil feel that not all the issues this season have been down to him. BUT, I don’t think he’s got what it takes, and some nice sunny weather and a few good results at the end of the season won’t stop me from remembering that for most of this season, things have just never got going.

As loanstar points out, the main question is, ‘is there any one else available who is better than what we’ve got?’
    Profile pic ↗️
    Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
    Now extinct!

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:18 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
    Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:19 am
    Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
    Darlo_Pete wrote:
    Why isn't it?
    Why isn't it?

At what number can we say "ah that's more like it, that's a good representation of the fanbase"? 50? 100?, 500? Everyone?

Polls should be "reasonably" representative even with only a small number of respondents, and there's no good basis to believe that the small number of respondents will be biased completely differently to the whole.
    I’ve no idea what the figure is but it can be calculated using statistical techniques. Political poll companies use them for instance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:20 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
    Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:00 pm

As loanstar points out, the main question is, ‘is there any one else available who is better than what we’ve got?’
    Not quite what I meant, yes there are better out there but...
    a: can we afford them?
    b: if we can afford them and they come in and things don't improve, will they get on with the job without complaints or spit the dummy like Armstrong has at Blyth again when the budget is cut or players are sold?

Any change is a gamble. Staunton on paper should have been a masterstroke appointment but we saw what happened there.

Mister e

Post by Mister e » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:56 pm

I wonder if the people who are constantly calling for Wright's head ever consider the human cost of somebody losing their livelihood. I wonder if your all bloody one hundred per cent perfect in your own field of employment and never ever make mistakes. We're Darlington football club for god's sake not man city or Chelsea or Liverpool - yet there are times when some people sound like the spoilt brats who ring in to radio phone in shows whining on because one of the previously mentioned clubs had lost twice in a row for the one time that season. We're on a journey at the moment I for one believe it will get better but no club is entitled to promotion every season. Remember it's taken Jim Gannon and Kevin wilkin three years or so to build up their quality squads at Stockport and brackley.