Law changes season 19/20

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Alfie
Team Supported: Darlington

Law changes season 19/20

Post by Alfie » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:58 am

A bit of light relief from Darlo performances. Picked this up from the website of my local East Anglian league, but I assume these IFAB approved changes will apply at all levels from next season. I like the one about yellow cards for 'illegal' goal celebrations remaining even if the goal is subsequently disallowed

https://thurlownunnleague.files.wordpre ... hanges.pdf

spen666

Re: Law changes season 19/20

Post by spen666 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:23 pm

Thanks for that document. It makes interesting reading

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:46 pm

Seem like changes for the better. Hope someone makes sure the officials in NLN are properly instructed in the application of these changes as well as being reminded of what the actual rules are. Some of them appeared totally unfamiliar with the rulebook and how they should apply them this season

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:03 pm

Most of the ref's at this level are awful, its almost like they try too hard to get noticed and to send players off. I'd imagine most ref's don't particularly like working at this level and have aspirations to move up the leagues but many struggle to understand the laws of the game.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:32 pm

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:03 pm
Most of the ref's at this level are awful, its almost like they try too hard to get noticed and to send players off. I'd imagine most ref's don't particularly like working at this level and have aspirations to move up the leagues but many struggle to understand the laws of the game.
Thought the ref against Bradford PA on Good Friday had a very good game, but decent refs seem to be the exception rather than the norm.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:34 am

Go on then...I'll bite. Name the black and white contraventions of law which have been seen this season that aren't simply attributed to differences in opinion over level of contact?

The bigger issue is complete lack of understanding of law from pundits and players.

Still this season an offside was given and the free kick was taken within the half of the team the offside was given against - and the entire crowd and all players and dugouts began exclaiming "how can and offside be taken in that half"...that law changes 3 seasons ago.

I heard on Saturday that a player should have been sent off "because he was last man" (see proclamations from Newcastle v Southampton). I've heard exclamations that tackles which are reckless should be red cards.

I've heard claims that a player has to be sent off because "studs up" and "both feet were off the ground". I would hazard if you conducted an actual laws of the game test with fan bases, players and team management I reckon the score would be <20% (it's not even a guess because I already know some professional managers have scored as low as 1 / 20 on these type of tests in the past).

spen666

Post by spen666 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:53 am

lo36789 wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:34 am
Go on then...I'll bite. Name the black and white contraventions of law which have been seen this season that aren't simply attributed to differences in opinion over level of contact?

The bigger issue is complete lack of understanding of law from pundits and players.

Still this season an offside was given and the free kick was taken within the half of the team the offside was given against - and the entire crowd and all players and dugouts began exclaiming "how can and offside be taken in that half"...that law changes 3 seasons ago.

I heard on Saturday that a player should have been sent off "because he was last man" (see proclamations from Newcastle v Southampton). I've heard exclamations that tackles which are reckless should be red cards.

I've heard claims that a player has to be sent off because "studs up" and "both feet were off the ground". I would hazard if you conducted an actual laws of the game test with fan bases, players and team management I reckon the score would be <20% (it's not even a guess because I already know some professional managers have scored as low as 1 / 20 on these type of tests in the past).

So accurate. I couldn't agree more

Add to the above that most fans see the game through biased eyes, so every oposition player is a dirty cheat and every one of your own team is an honest fair player

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:54 am

For a player to commit a foul throw, one whole foot has to be completely over the line. This was flagged up by Lineker on MOTD recently after a recent controversial goal, which might have involved Everton but I can't remember for sure.

I've often shouted out to linesmen about this - but was seemingly getting it wrong.

The time wasting on Monday did my head in! The ref simply would not act against Guisely, who were using every trick in the book. The worst one being the 'not ready for a sub' trick which then included the player due to be subbed walking across to the other side of the pitch and using the 'oh, is it me' ploy before slowly walking back to where he'd just come from!
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:56 am

spen666 wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:53 am
Add to the above that most fans see the game through biased eyes, so every oposition player is a dirty cheat and every one of your own team is an honest fair player

Chandler's still t**t Spen!
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Mister e

Post by Mister e » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:48 pm

Worst refereeing decision this season by a country mile disallowing thommos goal at Nuneaton because an opponent was changing his boots.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:45 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:54 am
For a player to commit a foul throw, one whole foot has to be completely over the line. This was flagged up by Lineker on MOTD recently after a recent controversial goal, which might have involved Everton but I can't remember for sure.

I've often shouted out to linesmen about this - but was seemingly getting it wrong.
The example of this I recall.

Joe Gomez took a throw in for England and his leading foot was partly on the pitch (his heel was touching the line). The pundits to a man said it was an oversight and there was an element of “good fortune” with the goal as a result...despite being completely legal goal in law...
Mister e wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:48 pm
Worst refereeing decision this season by a country mile disallowing thommos goal at Nuneaton because an opponent was changing his boots.
This wasn’t why though was it? The footage clearly shows that at the point the free kick was ‘taken’ that the assistant referee is positioned going towards the dugout to I assume make a substitute or to deal with what may have been an injury.

The goal wasn’t disallowed for any reason. The ball wasn’t “in play” to be scored as the assistant was not in position to monitor offsides from the free kick - and the referee signalled as much by blowing his whistle twice again prior to the kick being taken.

It was exceptionally messy - and should never have got to the point of the initial whistle to “restart play” but he clearly blew up to prevent the restart prior to the ball being in play.

Messy but correct in law.

Spratts corner

Post by Spratts corner » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:58 am

In the Newcastle game Almiron was deliberatly taken down albeit in his own half. If he hadn't been he had a clear run on goal with Rondon along side him. Surely it was a clear goal scoring opportunity. The Southampton player was only booked because it was to far from goal. The consensus being that anything could of happend. What ? He was going to be hit by a bus .

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:42 pm

"Obvious goalscoring opportunity"

Factors to consider possession, defender, distance & direction. You have to tick all the boxes ie have possession, no covering defender, proximity to goal, heading in the direction of the goal to be denial of an obvious goalscoring opportunity.