Wright has left the building

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: botrash, mikkyx, charlie, uncovered

knoxy5000
Posts: 750
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:54 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Wright has left the building

Post by knoxy5000 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:16 pm

It's a shame, it happens and we all move on. Hopefully for the better (for us in that sense at least)
In my opinion he's been the architect of his own downfall. Yes he can blame the reduced budget, but he was the cause and effect of that in the first place. This seasons performances on the whole have been dire, so gates have decreased and as such the budget was adjusted several times. It was eye opening to see the budget was inline with MG when we finished 5th. So i do believe we have a competitive budget, it's more the fact TW didn't make the squad within that budget competitive enough. It was his team and the buck stops with him. Next . . . . . . . . .

banktopp
Posts: 654
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:59 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Hereford

Re: Wright has left the building

Post by banktopp » Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:31 pm

Relief that a new manager will be in place.
Optimism for next season now, touched with a tinge of sadness, as by all accounts Tommy Wright was a decent bloke but just didn't work out for him. Prepared to dig deep now for BTB and provide new manager with a sizeable addition of funds to the clubs reduced playing budget.

bga
Posts: 1270
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:18 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Wright has left the building

Post by bga » Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:20 pm

According to Echo TW was sacked? The Club statement does not really clarify anything does it? If his contract at the end of this season in was merely not going to be renewed why not just say that. If Echo report is true then I wonder how much Compo we had to pay him? I really hope he only left say a few days before his contract ran out rather than another 12 months.

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 12207
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Wright has left the building

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:20 pm

Spoke to Tommy very briefly as the players came off at half time. He said to me, 'that the main thing is that the club survive'. What a bloke to leave with that attitude. Very sorry to see you leave Tommy.

QUAKERMAN2
Posts: 1829
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:43 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Wright has left the building

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:30 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:Spoke to Tommy very briefly as the players came off at half time. He said to me, 'that the main thing is that the club survive'. What a bloke to leave with that attitude. Very sorry to see you leave Tommy.
Just listened to his PM interview, not a bad word about the club or fans, loves our club with a passion, nothing but respect for Tommy, he was class 100%.From the boards perspective he must have been a joy to work with.Really hope he gets fixed up in an academy role and returns to management very soon.Smashing bloke.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk


Vodka_Vic
Posts: 1783
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:27 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Wright has left the building

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:02 pm

Just seen it myself Ron, felt very sad after watching it and it's a real shame it didn't work out, but the way it was organised worked perfectly, in that everyone knew he was leaving so people could thank him and he can leave with his head held high, and as he said, he will always be indelibly linked with the club having set up the academy. Will certainly keep an eye out for his future career.

JE93
Posts: 1270
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:48 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Wright has left the building

Post by JE93 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:03 pm

divas wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:18 am
JE93 wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:46 am
Or me it's the right decision, made at the right time. Absolutely no doubt that Tommy has put the hours in an tried his best. But unfortunately there were just too many mistakes and not enough evidence of continued improvement. Best of luck to what he does next. Perhaps he would be more suited to youth coaching.

What I would also say, is that the fans and the club need to jump into action. Those who have said they won't renew season tickets / boost the budget with Wright in charge. Send an email to the club asking for renewal forms and get it done. Or email DFCSG and tell them your intention for BTB. We have got the management change that some of us wanted. Now we have to ensure the new manager has all the resources at their disposal to give us a strong season next year.
I’m sure that demographic of fan you’re referring to will be contacted fairly quickly ;)
Great to hear divas. Sounds like the clubs is doing much better work of using the technology and data that's available, really important to maximising revenue in the future. Good work all involved.

QUAKERMAN2
Posts: 1829
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:43 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Wright has left the building

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:08 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:Just seen it myself Ron, felt very sad after watching it and it's a real shame it didn't work out, but the way it was organised worked perfectly, in that everyone knew he was leaving so people could thank him and he can leave with his head held high, and as he said, he will always be indelibly linked with the club having set up the academy. Will certainly keep an eye out for his future career.
My thoughts entirely Adam, that was a class interview by Tommy, you will rarely see that response from a manager who has just lost his job.Class act.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk


Darlo_Pete
Posts: 12207
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Wright has left the building

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:44 pm

As Tommy was leaving the pitch you could see he was getting emotional, very sad.

murtonquaker
Posts: 265
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:08 am
Team Supported: Mighty Darlo

Re: Wright has left the building

Post by murtonquaker » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:18 pm

I agree it was a heartfelt interview full of emotion, his love for the club, always had time for the fans, he could be seen week in, week out, talking to the fans, he is definitely a people, been canny with Me too.

Most of the fanbase will respect the way he has went about his business in the last 36 hours, in a way that he can walk away with pride.

He may not have produced results now, but The Academy is part of his legacy and through that he can leave in the hope of producing results in the future, hopefully securing a good future for local lads coming through the Academy

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk


bga
Posts: 1270
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:18 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Wright has left the building

Post by bga » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:44 am

murtonquaker wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:18 pm
I agree it was a heartfelt interview full of emotion, his love for the club, always had time for the fans, he could be seen week in, week out, talking to the fans, he is definitely a people, been canny with Me too.

Most of the fanbase will respect the way he has went about his business in the last 36 hours, in a way that he can walk away with pride.

He may not have produced results now, but The Academy is part of his legacy and through that he can leave in the hope of producing results in the future, hopefully securing a good future for local lads coming through the Academy

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
I don't disagree with any of the above. However, also see my post above, if he was "sacked" as Echo suggests, he would have received Compo. Question I would like to know is how much, though doubt Cub will ever reveal. But if he had a contract till say end of next season, this would surely impact on how much we can afford to pay the new Manager?

Secondly, I agree it was a dignified interview. But TW still doesn't seem to accept he had any responsibility for the Budget being cut mid season as it was. "The Budget was cut which I had no control over." Maybe the most important lesson he has to learn from this is that performances on the pitch do affect attendances,(big time) hence affect the Budget.

Darlofan97
Posts: 4154
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:44 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Wright has left the building

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:48 am

I think they were words of a man trying to protect his own interests.

I think deep-down he knows that the recruitment last summer wasn’t good enough and that poor performances did reduce attendances.

A really likeable person though and I wish him all the best for the future. Certainly has his strengths that will stand him well for a long career in football.

bga
Posts: 1270
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:18 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Wright has left the building

Post by bga » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:00 am

Darlofan97 wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:48 am
I think they were words of a man trying to protect his own interests.

I think deep-down he knows that the recruitment last summer wasn’t good enough and that poor performances did reduce attendances.

A really likeable person though and I wish him all the best for the future. Certainly has his strengths that will stand him well for a long career in football.
Easier to do that interview if you were walking out the door with a decent pay off in your back pocket. As I said we just don't know (but we should know), I would certainly have more respect for him if he left with nowt, or very little. I never spoke to him but agree all the comments about his nature and passion for Darlo, but do feel he was out of his depth.

User avatar
divas
Posts: 12947
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:38 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Wright has left the building

Post by divas » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:04 am

Very few if any managers, especially at this level will ever get their contract paid up. There will be all sorts of. It is clauses for both parties. The insistence of fans knowing the finer details of the contract has irked me. He’s gone now and still the questions rumble on. These questions weren’t asked when James Caton left, why should this be any different? Let the board do the job and make the decisions they’re empowered to do. I’m all for transparency but there are certain things that should a) remain private and b) don’t really matter in the grand scheme of things.

If the club came out and told us his contract was finished and therefore we didn’t pay him anything, or that he had a year left and ended up with a year’s pay off (as I said won’t have happened) or anything in between what difference does it make to me or you?

Moan if you don’t like the answer more than likely but then what are we going to do differently with that information?

Anyway we couldn’t afford to sack him remember...

bga
Posts: 1270
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:18 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Wright has left the building

Post by bga » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:16 am

divas wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:04 am
Very few if any managers, especially at this level will ever get their contract paid up. There will be all sorts of. It is clauses for both parties. The insistence of fans knowing the finer details of the contract has irked me. He’s gone now and still the questions rumble on. These questions weren’t asked when James Caton left, why should this be any different? Let the board do the job and make the decisions they’re empowered to do. I’m all for transparency but there are certain things that should a) remain private and b) don’t really matter in the grand scheme of things.

If the club came out and told us his contract was finished and therefore we didn’t pay him anything, or that he had a year left and ended up with a year’s pay off (as I said won’t have happened) or anything in between what difference does it make to me or you?

Moan if you don’t like the answer more than likely but then what are we going to do differently with that information?

Anyway we couldn’t afford to sack him remember...
If he had a years pay off that surely would have a dramatic impact on what we can afford to pay a new Manager so it could matter. I am not moaning as you put it, just trying to understand the longer term financial impact (if any) of his departure. I don't see anything wrong with that do you?

PierremontQuaker03
Posts: 1803
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:53 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Wright has left the building

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:19 am

divas wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:04 am
Very few if any managers, especially at this level will ever get their contract paid up. There will be all sorts of. It is clauses for both parties. The insistence of fans knowing the finer details of the contract has irked me. He’s gone now and still the questions rumble on. These questions weren’t asked when James Caton left, why should this be any different? Let the board do the job and make the decisions they’re empowered to do. I’m all for transparency but there are certain things that should a) remain private and b) don’t really matter in the grand scheme of things.

If the club came out and told us his contract was finished and therefore we didn’t pay him anything, or that he had a year left and ended up with a year’s pay off (as I said won’t have happened) or anything in between what difference does it make to me or you?

Moan if you don’t like the answer more than likely but then what are we going to do differently with that information?

Anyway we couldn’t afford to sack him remember...
Spot on I don't want a club to be ran day to day by committee - yes of course the major decisions there needs to be involvement from the various stakeholders, but most of the time DJ is the man to make the decisions.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

bga
Posts: 1270
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:18 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Wright has left the building

Post by bga » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:33 am

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:19 am
divas wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:04 am
Very few if any managers, especially at this level will ever get their contract paid up. There will be all sorts of. It is clauses for both parties. The insistence of fans knowing the finer details of the contract has irked me. He’s gone now and still the questions rumble on. These questions weren’t asked when James Caton left, why should this be any different? Let the board do the job and make the decisions they’re empowered to do. I’m all for transparency but there are certain things that should a) remain private and b) don’t really matter in the grand scheme of things.

If the club came out and told us his contract was finished and therefore we didn’t pay him anything, or that he had a year left and ended up with a year’s pay off (as I said won’t have happened) or anything in between what difference does it make to me or you?

Moan if you don’t like the answer more than likely but then what are we going to do differently with that information?

Anyway we couldn’t afford to sack him remember...
Spot on I don't want a club to be ran day to day by committee - yes of course the major decisions there needs to be involvement from the various stakeholders, but most of the time DJ is the man to make the decisions.
Says the man (or woman) who wants Martin Gray as our next Manager :thumbdown:

Fatty eats roadkill
Posts: 3612
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 7:31 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: On top of a 29 year old big chested woman

Re: Wright has left the building

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:41 am

I thoroughly appreciated Tommy allowing me into the dressing room preseason at Northallerton to try and tap up the players for a charity donation. Can’t think of many that would’ve allowed that to happen. Shame he couldn’t find another Tommy Wright up front after Styche left. Anyway, good luck in the future if you’re reading this.
Waiting for Raj to shaft them!

onewayup
Posts: 1725
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:02 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Wright has left the building

Post by onewayup » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:51 pm

bga, it's not down for discussion, the guy has gone doesn't matter how much if anything he received he knew it was time up, and left with dignity and a lot of support for his future within darlington fan base really nice man.

AndyPark
Posts: 11484
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:08 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Darlington

Re: Wright has left the building

Post by AndyPark » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:23 pm

Top bloke, proper genuine and loved the club.

Will be missed, Shane it didn’t work out on the footballing side of it.

Vodka_Vic
Posts: 1783
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:27 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Wright has left the building

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:28 pm

Andy, missing the season already. How about you? Going to be a long few months.

QUAKERMAN2
Posts: 1829
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:43 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Wright has left the building

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:38 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:Andy, missing the season already. How about you? Going to be a long few months.
Dreading it Adam, love the playoffs but a long 3 months till the new season.Should be plenty happening with us though, hopefully a good appointment and some good solid signings.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk


User avatar
grimsbyquaker
Posts: 362
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:03 pm
Team Supported: Darlington FC
Location: 53°22'N, 0°01'W

Re: Wright has left the building

Post by grimsbyquaker » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:54 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:38 pm
Vodka_Vic wrote:Andy, missing the season already. How about you? Going to be a long few months.
Dreading it Adam, love the playoffs but a long 3 months till the new season.Should be plenty happening with us though, hopefully a good appointment and some good solid signings.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk
Ron where do you see this going? Can we read anything into AW staying on?

AndyPark
Posts: 11484
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:08 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Darlington

Re: Wright has left the building

Post by AndyPark » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:13 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:28 pm
Andy, missing the season already. How about you? Going to be a long few months.
I’m glad to see the back of it :lol: :lol:

Spent a fortune this season, so gonna be smashing in plenty of overtime at work to keep me busy. Not forgetting me trip to Portugal in June for UefaNationsLeague to watch England!

Vodka_Vic
Posts: 1783
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:27 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Wright has left the building

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:26 pm

Good on yer Andy. If you're spending all that money going out there, just don't get too mortalled so you can remember the games! Anyway, Portuguese beer is gnat's piss.

QUAKERMAN2
Posts: 1829
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:43 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Wright has left the building

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:15 pm

grimsbyquaker wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:38 pm
Vodka_Vic wrote:Andy, missing the season already. How about you? Going to be a long few months.
Dreading it Adam, love the playoffs but a long 3 months till the new season.Should be plenty happening with us though, hopefully a good appointment and some good solid signings.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk
Ron where do you see this going? Can we read anything into AW staying on?
Tough one Nick, personally for a bit of continuity I would like to see Whitey here next season, the academy is far too important to ignore and nobody really knows the level of input he had with Tommy .I am still wondering if the board have someone in mind who are happy to have him as an assistant but a tough one to call at the minute.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk


Darlofan97
Posts: 4154
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:44 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Wright has left the building

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:58 pm

What exactly do we need to carry over for “continuity”? This season has been a bit of a disaster with poor recruitment, questionable tactics & selections.

Our defence is poor having dropped 24 points from winning positions this season, we also dropped 18 last season too.

I loved AW as a player, and was delighted when has was appointed as Assistant Manager. He comes across great in interviews, but ultimately it just hasn’t worked out.

It is likely that any new manager would carry a coaching licence allowing them to run the Academy, and also want to bring in their own Assistant Manager too.

banktopp
Posts: 654
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:59 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Hereford

Re: Wright has left the building

Post by banktopp » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:12 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:15 pm
grimsbyquaker wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:38 pm
Vodka_Vic wrote:Andy, missing the season already. How about you? Going to be a long few months.
Dreading it Adam, love the playoffs but a long 3 months till the new season.Should be plenty happening with us though, hopefully a good appointment and some good solid signings.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk
Ron where do you see this going? Can we read anything into AW staying on?
Tough one Nick, personally for a bit of continuity I would like to see Whitey here next season, the academy is far too important to ignore and nobody really knows the level of input he had with Tommy .I am still wondering if the board have someone in mind who are happy to have him as an assistant but a tough one to call at the minute.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk
With White still here then there is no rush to appoint a new manager, more time to find the right manager.
I believe last time Wright was about 4th choice as others had rejected us or were not interested in the job, and Wright's appointment was a bit
desperation in my opinion.
Difficult job description though. Would like new manager to flirt with play-offs perhaps even get into them, but FFS don't win as we cannot afford to get promoted. A long cup run would be desirable so we can develop BM, if not just winning one cup game will be considered a success.
Do all this on a reduced playing budget which to be fair should be possible if you don't squander it buying duffers.

quakersfan
Posts: 293
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:26 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Wright has left the building

Post by quakersfan » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:21 pm

He will paid whatever his contract states he’s due. Not sure as fans we need to know the finer details. John Vickerman is an HR professional so he will play it by the book.

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 12207
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Wright has left the building

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:13 pm

AndyPark wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:13 pm
Vodka_Vic wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:28 pm
Andy, missing the season already. How about you? Going to be a long few months.
I’m glad to see the back of it :lol: :lol:

Spent a fortune this season, so gonna be smashing in plenty of overtime at work to keep me busy. Not forgetting me trip to Portugal in June for UefaNationsLeague to watch England!
Andy make sure you take a Darlo flag out to Portugal with you. Hope you have a good time and we win.

Post Reply