New Manager Poll

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

If available, who do you want?

Alun Armstrong
9%
Micky Cummins
1%
Neil Aspin
13%
Gary Mills
1%
Martin Gray
4%
Ben Clark
13%
Tommy Miller
No votes
Matthew Bates
1%
David McGurk
1%
Darren Kelly
1%
Mark Bower
8%
Chris Hardy
3%
Chris Swailes
17%
John Flanagan
3%
Nick Gray
No votes
Paul Thirlwell
9%
Ian Bogie
1%
Brian Atkinson
3%
Alan White
7%
Other - Please state in thread
4%

Total votes: 76

biccynana
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New Manager Poll

Post by biccynana » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:21 pm

divas wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:16 pm
biccynana wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:42 am
What's John Sitton doing these days?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvdCNgH ... .be&t=1806
:lol:
Driving a black cab in London
Wouldn't want to give him a poor tip.

divas

Post by divas » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:27 pm

😂

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:28 am

Neil aspin is not the best person for the role.

ScottBoyT

Post by ScottBoyT » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:42 am

I think Swailes would be making too big of a jump at the minute, we need a bit more experience as we have found out this season. Alun Armstrong will 100% have his eyes on a job in the league above and deservedly so for the great job he has done. I would try and get somebody like ex Mansfield Town manager Paul Cox... we need a manager who knows how to get teams promoted by any means possible. There isn't many names on that poll list that would get me excited.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:15 am

ScottBoyT wrote:I think Swailes would be making too big of a jump at the minute, we need a bit more experience as we have found out this season. Alun Armstrong will 100% have his eyes on a job in the league above and deservedly so for the great job he has done. I would try and get somebody like ex Mansfield Town manager Paul Cox... we need a manager who knows how to get teams promoted by any means possible. There isn't many names on that poll list that would get me excited.
Paul Cox isn't a bad shout actually, although his last spell at Guiseley was about as disastrous as it gets. Not been seen since.

I also don't think it's a case of us needing promotion by any means. Off-the-field, we're nowhere near ready to go up.

For me what we need is someone who knows how to win games and get a bit of positivity and excitement around the place. Someone who can set us up well tactically and with a clear idea of what they want from us.

If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:34 am

It is scary to read this of Cox.....

"All told, Cox claimed just 17 from a possible 72 points available in his time at the Guiseley helm, with his mass overhaul of the squad, which has seen a host of existing players jettisoned and a plethora of new signings brought in, failing to yield a renaissance."

Although to be fair to him he had done some good things before that ill-fated stint.

ScottBoyT

Post by ScottBoyT » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:50 am

LoidLucan wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:34 am
It is scary to read this of Cox.....

"All told, Cox claimed just 17 from a possible 72 points available in his time at the Guiseley helm, with his mass overhaul of the squad, which has seen a host of existing players jettisoned and a plethora of new signings brought in, failing to yield a renaissance."

Although to be fair to him he had done some good things before that ill-fated stint.
I wasn't aware about the Guiseley spell, 17 points from 72 isn't great. Wikipedia brings up these stats for him.

---------------------P W D L Win %
Mansfield Town 176 78 46 52 44.3
Torquay United 10 02 04 04 20.0
Barrow ---------- 86 37 30 19 43.0
Guiseley ---------29 04 10 15 13.8
-----------Total 301 121 90 90 40.2

Such a crucial decision for the board, I hope they spend the next week doing some homework on potential candidates. We don't want to leave it too late as players will already be speaking to new clubs for next season.

divas

Post by divas » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:56 am

Given the closing date for the position is next Monday I expect the club will get a move on. It’s likely any interviews will take place next week with an appointment by the middle of the following week all being well. Hopefully this time we’ll just get an appointment without any potential candidate’s current clubs releasing statements beforehand.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:15 am

It would also be nice for our preferred candidate to accept the job, without a last minute change of mind.

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by grimsbyquaker » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:23 am

...and for them to know the difference between a formal interview and an informal meeting

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:46 am

Darlofan97 wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:32 pm
What’s the fascination with Swailes?

Granted he has done well with Dunston this season, and had a very good cup run, but there is a gulf in quality between the Northern League & Conference North. It would be a risk, especially if the likes of Armstrong, Aspin, Bower & Flanagan are interested.
Good job Lincoln didn't feel the same about the Cowleys.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:49 am

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:46 am
Darlofan97 wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:32 pm
What’s the fascination with Swailes?

Granted he has done well with Dunston this season, and had a very good cup run, but there is a gulf in quality between the Northern League & Conference North. It would be a risk, especially if the likes of Armstrong, Aspin, Bower & Flanagan are interested.
Good job Lincoln didn't feel the same about the Cowleys.
The Cowleys were already in the National League with Braintree when they made the switch. They didnt jump 2 divisions, fresh from a home for tea league to a league that is virtually national.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:44 pm

Ah, my mistake. Still, 2 whole leagues. Surely the principles he has successfully applied at Dunston are transferable to a higher league team? We bang on about utilising the NL more for young upcoming players, yet I would think the gulf in quality is less relevant to a manager than a player.

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:06 pm

Hebburn Town have just reluctantly accepted the resignation of manager Scott Oliver.
Guided Hebburn to 2nd behind Dunston this season after winning promotion last year with Hebburn, and 5th round of F.A.Vase.
If Chris Swailes of Dunston is favourite in this poll,why not Oliver.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:34 pm

banktopp wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:06 pm
Hebburn Town have just reluctantly accepted the resignation of manager Scott Oliver.
Guided Hebburn to 2nd behind Dunston this season after winning promotion last year with Hebburn, and 5th round of F.A.Vase.
If Chris Swailes of Dunston is favourite in this poll,why not Oliver.
Rumours that MG is taking over them.

Lawman3

Post by Lawman3 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:41 pm

I have to be honest and say that I haven't a clue who half of these people are.

I'm also very wary of appointing a Northern League Manager. Whatever their success at that level, there is every chance we would be promoting them beyond their abilities.
Never argue with an idiot: The best possible outcome is that you win an argument with an idiot.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:58 pm

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:44 pm
Ah, my mistake. Still, 2 whole leagues. Surely the principles he has successfully applied at Dunston are transferable to a higher league team? We bang on about utilising the NL more for young upcoming players, yet I would think the gulf in quality is less relevant to a manager than a player.
2 whole leagues? They went from National League side Braintree to National League side Lincoln. They moved across to a side in the same division, having had a proven track record by finishing 3rd & in the play-offs with Braintree.

Even before Braintree they moved up from the National League South to the National League.

Swailes would be a massive risk, it would be a jump of 3 divisions for him. It’s a different standard all-together, surely we would know that more than anyone having recently progressed up these divisions over the past 5/6 years. The Northern League was a poor standard despite the locals being adamant about how good of a standard it was and how it was on par with the NPL.

We need someone with knowledge of this league.

Lallacab

Post by Lallacab » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:01 pm

I’m shocked that Alan White has got 5 votes!

Surely part of the problem rather than the solution? A team who couldn’t defend for s##t all season

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:37 pm

A lot of names that most won't know anything about but still someone will vote for them. Its just the way it is.

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by grimsbyquaker » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:10 pm

Lallacab wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:01 pm

Surely part of the problem rather than the solution? A team who couldn’t defend for s##t all season
I voted for him...natural leader, FL/local contacts, great defender, strong links to town and club, good work done with Academy. I’d also say that a) we don’t know how much input he had re signings/tactics etc and b) most goals conceded last term stemmed from our midfield not tracking back and an absence of players ‘defending from the front’ rather than defensive howlers. He’d also be cheaper than other potential candidates??

shawry

Post by shawry » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:49 pm

grimsbyquaker wrote:
Lallacab wrote:

I voted for him...natural leader, FL/local contacts, great defender, strong links to town and club, good work done with Academy. I’d also say that a) we don’t know how much input he had re signings/tactics etc and b) most goals conceded last term stemmed from our midfield not tracking back and an absence of players ‘defending from the front’ rather than defensive howlers. He’d also be cheaper than other potential candidates??
I'd argue that our full backs being caught out of position quite a lot caused a few too though.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:57 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:58 pm
HarryCharltonsCat wrote:
2 whole leagues? They went from National League side Braintree to National League side Lincoln. They moved across to a side in the same division, having had a proven track record by finishing 3rd & in the play-offs with Braintree.

Even before Braintree they moved up from the National League South to the National League.

Swailes would be a massive risk, it would be a jump of 3 divisions for him. It’s a different standard all-together, surely we would know that more than anyone having recently progressed up these divisions over the past 5/6 years. The Northern League was a poor standard despite the locals being adamant about how good of a standard it was and how it was on par with the NPL.

I wasn''t stating they went up 2 whole league's. You misunderstood my point. I don't see why a manager can't be successful 2 (or 3) leagues higher.

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:20 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
HarryCharltonsCat wrote:

Surely there’s plenty of managers who moved up a few leagues at a time and been a success, Brian Little had only been an assistant and academy manager prior to coming to us in the football league and he didn’t work out too badly..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:25 pm

Well of course, but realistically there are several managers we could bring in with much more experience of this level and a history of building solid teams and getting results.

Like I said, he would be a massive risk.

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:30 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:Well of course, but realistically there are several managers we could bring in with much more experience of this level and a history of building solid teams and getting results.

Like I said, he would be a massive risk.
Yeah to be honest I’m not thinking of anyone in particular but I’m extremely open minded about the level they’ve been at before. I’d be just as interested in someone with the right attributes from within the North East non league scene as anyone who’s had some success but in another part of the country. I’m actually quite attracted to finding someone who can build a career with us over several years and then go on to the pro game. Whether they exist or not is another question...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beano

Post by Beano » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:30 pm

grimsbyquaker wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:10 pm
Lallacab wrote:

He will leave once Tommy's successor is appointed; holding the fort at present.

Radar

Post by Radar » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:00 pm

Chris Wilder was a Sunday League manager at one point and Jose Mourinho was an interpreter. Chris Swales would do as good a job as anybody, as would Nick Gray and Carl Jarrett.

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:11 am

I just love the huge spread of names by so few people, no rush to make an appointment and hopefully some ex FL players and coaches looking downwards for an opportunity as opposed lower league looking up. Also like the idea of a female coach not that I know many

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:37 pm

Why do you like the idea of a female coach?

ReeceStyche’sManbun

Post by ReeceStyche’sManbun » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:40 pm

With all names listed so far the ones I would like most are:

Ben Clark- Did a good job with Gateshead especially under those circumstances and got the team to show a real togetherness, which I think was something that was missing from TW’s reign. I imagine that he could come to us too considering Gateshead’s situation at the moment and maybe a bit of a chat with Ian Watson could seal the deal.

Neil Apsin- Very experienced manager and plays sort of a defensive style which could suit us as we were pretty decent on the counter attack last season in my opinion. Will have contacts in northeast and further too

Alun Armstrong- Done great with Blyth on a low budget, yes he’s pretty much done an MG and complained about it but he might be satisfied with ours as it’s most likely a lot more than what Blyths is/was, also some of blyths players are out of contract like Maguire for example imagine a front 3 of Thompson, Nicholson and Maguire...

John Flanagan- Managed Curzon at this level for the last 3 or 4 years played some lovely football too, also will know what our weaknesses are and sort them as he always had our number when we played against his teams.

Paul Thirlwell- He’s the least I know about but I believe he’s highly regarded, been part of a successful Harrogate team and may want to prove himself as the Number 1 man now.