Female managers

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

biccynana
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Female managers

Post by biccynana » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:01 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:43 pm
we'd probably attract more female fans as well.
Honestly, Pete, where do you get this stuff?

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:20 pm

We have had lots of interest from the media about this, could we be the first? Great PR stunt.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:37 pm

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:20 pm
We have had lots of interest from the media about this, could we be the first? Great PR stunt.
Hmm, not sure we'd want it to come across as a stunt, and I doubt the successful female candidate would be thrilled to be seen as having been appointed as part of a stunt.

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:45 pm

If you look up the credentials of John Vickerman on official site i believe they are wanting the best person for the job

quakermass

Post by quakermass » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:45 pm

The problem would arise if the female manager took a fancy to one of our players. For example if Tommo was having a stinker but our new gaffer had a soft spot for smaller rugged looking players with tatts and a slight bald patch, would she really haul him off if he was having a stinker. Likewise if she had a soft spot for pretty boys and Tez was getting repeatedly beaten in the air by a burly centre forward, would she drop him for the next game or would she forgive him and give him another chance? The board have some tough decisions to make over the coming few days!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shawry

Post by shawry » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:50 pm

quakermass wrote:The problem would arise if the female manager took a fancy to one of our players. For example if Tommo was having a stinker but our new gaffer had a soft spot for smaller rugged looking players with tatts and a slight bald patch, would she really haul him off if he was having a stinker. Likewise if she had a soft spot for pretty boys and Tez was getting repeatedly beaten in the air by a burly centre forward, would she drop him for the next game or would she forgive him and give him another chance? The board have some tough decisions to make over the coming few days!

I'm guessing I just miss the humour in this post yes?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:58 pm

Maurice_Peddelty wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:45 pm
If you look up the credentials of John Vickerman on official site i believe they are wanting the best person for the job
I think this could end a banana skin. It should have just read all relevant applicants should apply no adverts these days state who can apply as its taken its open to all applicants and not dependant on their cultural background.

quakermass

Post by quakermass » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:08 pm

Personally I’d go for Ben Clark, especially if he can bring with him one or two of the Gateshead lads who could no doubt do a job for us! Joking apart it’s highly unlikely we’ll recruit a female but the advert has definitely attracted national attention albeit seemingly unintentional.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:11 pm

shawry wrote:
quakermass wrote:The problem would arise if the female manager took a fancy to one of our players. For example if Tommo was having a stinker but our new gaffer had a soft spot for smaller rugged looking players with tatts and a slight bald patch, would she really haul him off if he was having a stinker. Likewise if she had a soft spot for pretty boys and Tez was getting repeatedly beaten in the air by a burly centre forward, would she drop him for the next game or would she forgive him and give him another chance? The board have some tough decisions to make over the coming few days!

I'm guessing I just miss the humour in this post yes?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
I hope so.

He sounds like Gareth from the Office explaining why he disagrees with homosexuals in the army.

What if Tommy Wright fancied one of our players?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

shildonlad
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gateshead

Post by shildonlad » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:07 pm

There has never been a woman managing a blokes team has there at any level? If a female was serious about doing it i guess the best way would be for her to start off doing a bit coaching somewhere. This rooney rule malarkey has go out of hand too. Such managers should be recruited on merit. The guy at stevenage is coloured but he has had a long playing and coaching career in england so right fit
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed May 01, 2019 6:08 am

shildonlad wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:07 pm
There has never been a woman managing a blokes team has there at any level? If a female was serious about doing it i guess the best way would be for her to start off doing a bit coaching somewhere. This rooney rule malarkey has go out of hand too. Such managers should be recruited on merit. The guy at stevenage is coloured but he has had a long playing and coaching career in england so right fit
Clermont Foot in French Div 2 have been managed by Corinne Diacre for I think two seasons until she was offered the National women’s job turning down jobs in Ligue 1 to do so.

Thing is there are very few women who meet the credentials laid out. I would assume that most of WSL managers have A licenses but that is probably it.

Nothing has gone too far at all. The level of representation of BAME (women is probably a different barrier) is low this is not just in football it is in leadership roles in every single company in the UK.

The Rooney Rule doesn’t mean anyone doesn’t get appointed on merit. What it does do is encourage BAME to apply where previously they didn’t see the point as they know there is a genuine chance for an interview.

The Rooney Rule still allows you to employ whoever you think is best for the job regardless of ethnicity.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed May 01, 2019 6:49 am

I would think that in 20 years time, we wouldn't be having this debate about Female managers, as they would be fairly common in non-league football. It just needs someone to take the first step.

polam lane

Post by polam lane » Wed May 01, 2019 6:53 am

Fanny Cradock could be the catering manager(ess).

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Wed May 01, 2019 7:13 am

polam lane wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 6:53 am
I would prefer Delia Smith. She could afford to upgrade the catering facilities and attach them to a new ground.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Wed May 01, 2019 7:39 am

banktopp wrote:
polam lane wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 6:53 am
I would prefer Delia Smith. She could afford to upgrade the catering facilities and attach them to a new ground.
Delia Smith and Nigella Lawson as joint managers, what a dream team is that, who cares about the performances, BM would be packed to the rafters with everyone feeding their faces.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Wed May 01, 2019 8:27 am

Don't give a toss if the new manager is a trans-gender Martian as long as he / she gets three points regularly. :roll:

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed May 01, 2019 8:40 am

Martin Gray in drag, anyone??
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed May 01, 2019 8:47 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:Martin Gray in drag, anyone??
What a horrible image.

If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Wed May 01, 2019 9:03 am

Darlogramps wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:Martin Gray in drag, anyone??
What a horrible image.
Nice one Gramps.ImageImage

MKDarlo

Post by MKDarlo » Wed May 01, 2019 11:36 am

quakermass wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:45 pm
The problem would arise if the female manager took a fancy to one of our players. For example if Tommo was having a stinker but our new gaffer had a soft spot for smaller rugged looking players with tatts and a slight bald patch, would she really haul him off if he was having a stinker. Likewise if she had a soft spot for pretty boys and Tez was getting repeatedly beaten in the air by a burly centre forward, would she drop him for the next game or would she forgive him and give him another chance? The board have some tough decisions to make over the coming few days!

Considering that something like 1 in 20 of the UK population is gay what are we going to do if the male manger takes a fancy to one of the players? What if the player fancies the manager and the desire is unrequited? it is a total minefield! Good job we all know there are none of those gays in football!
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:44 pm
Absolutely crazy to even consider a female, totally impractical even if she has a good knowledge of coaching, just would not work for many reasons.

Such as? So far you have managed: showers
joejaques wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 8:27 am
Don't give a toss if the new manager is a trans-gender Martian as long as he / she gets three points regularly. :roll:
Is the correct answer. Not being a poohlie would also help! Or Raj Singh.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Wed May 01, 2019 12:08 pm

Dear me, it's a bit depressing the assumption that a female manager would fancy some of the players. Does that apply in a normal workplace as well?
Properly luddite stuff. Funnily enough, i'd bet that men are far more guilty of going easy on female staff they fancy in the workplace than the other way around, but it's a depressing assumption to make regardless.

It's very unlikely to happen because, as others have pointed out, it's probably unlikely there are any female managers our there with some of the knowledge of the league we are in and so on, to be considered a lead candidate. The only way it could happen is if a major name from the womens league was interested in making the jump to the mens league - as they'd certainly have the badges and experience to justify the appointment. However, the professional womens teams probably pay more than we can. So again, it's unlikely, I think. I have absolutely no reservations at all in us giving a female manager ago, if you find the right candidate. If Hope Powell applied, for example, i think there'd be a good argument that she would be the outstanding candidate. But she's probably paid more by the Brighton womens team than we can afford.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Wed May 01, 2019 12:47 pm

H1987 wrote:Dear me, it's a bit depressing the assumption that a female manager would fancy some of the players. Does that apply in a normal workplace as well?
Properly luddite stuff. Funnily enough, i'd bet that men are far more guilty of going easy on female staff they fancy in the workplace than the other way around, but it's a depressing assumption to make regardless.

It's very unlikely to happen because, as others have pointed out, it's probably unlikely there are any female managers our there with some of the knowledge of the league we are in and so on, to be considered a lead candidate. The only way it could happen is if a major name from the womens league was interested in making the jump to the mens league - as they'd certainly have the badges and experience to justify the appointment. However, the professional womens teams probably pay more than we can. So again, it's unlikely, I think. I have absolutely no reservations at all in us giving a female manager ago, if you find the right candidate. If Hope Powell applied, for example, i think there'd be a good argument that she would be the outstanding candidate. But she's probably paid more by the Brighton womens team than we can afford.
Quakermass was only joking for god's sake.Jesus.!

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed May 01, 2019 12:56 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
H1987 wrote:Dear me, it's a bit depressing the assumption that a female manager would fancy some of the players. Does that apply in a normal workplace as well?

Quakermass was only joking for god's sake.Jesus.!

I thought jokes were supposed to be funny.

If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Wed May 01, 2019 2:19 pm

I thought this was a modern footie forum but I must have time warped back to the dark ages. On a side note I went to watch Tranmere last night and did those 2,000 Bury fans celebrate!

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Wed May 01, 2019 3:44 pm

Martina Gray. Billie McKewan. Jane Platt. Gail Platt (with Little David as no. 2). Penny Dave. Fran Gray. Byril Knowles. Quite a team I'd say. Didn't we nearly appoint Viv Busby once? Wasn't there a gaffer in our 1920's heyday called Gurley? Quakers folklore is a place of wonder and we've blazed a trail or two in our modest way. I wonder if 'Fifty Years' can tell us more.

Vokuhila

Post by Vokuhila » Wed May 01, 2019 3:51 pm

Spyman wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:11 pm
He sounds like Gareth from the Office explaining why he disagrees with homosexuals in the army.
I'm surprised no one's said anything about the Keenan-esque reference to Dino Maamria as being "coloured" yet, which would be wrong on so many levels even if it was still 1975.

I had initially been thinking that it would just be a given that anyone with the right credentials would be welcome to apply for the job, but between that sort of stuff and some of the casual misogyny on this thread I can see now why the club felt the need to make it explicit.

dfcdfcdfc

Post by dfcdfcdfc » Wed May 01, 2019 8:13 pm

Main article on page 3 of today's i

Complete with a picture of the arena!!!!!

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Wed May 01, 2019 8:31 pm

dfcdfcdfc wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 8:13 pm
Main article on page 3 of today's i
Ironic.

TinShedDarloFan

Post by TinShedDarloFan » Fri May 03, 2019 7:16 pm

In the Northern Echo that 1 woman has applied and and theres the possibility of a 2nd applying, aslong as they're good enough for the job then it really doesn't matter, going back to a comment made about female refs in the game etc, if you look back at our last couple of seasons one of the best referees we've had was Lucy Oliver, if they're are good enough then they should be considered for the managers job

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Fri May 03, 2019 7:56 pm

I must say, Reading that, that I think our board are doing a fantastic job handling this appointment. Even if we end up with the wrong candidate ultimately, as a judgement call, the way it is being handled by the board is absolutely excellent. The timing has been spot on, and everything I see about the process makes me think the same.

I hope David Johnson stays with us for a long time.