Owners Club

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

quakersfan
Team Supported: Darlington

Owners Club

Post by quakersfan » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:31 pm

Had a few beers tonight with friends in Hole in The Wall at an end of season round up as we always do with a number of DFCSG members and 500 club members. Rather than BTB why not set up an owners club and offer some incentives. At present there are approx 800 members I believe, instead of the £20 subscription why not charge £200 per year paid monthly £16.66 per month but could bring in £160k per year even at 600 members it could bring in £120k.

We all agreed that the club will need money and we all agreed that as the DFCSG and owners we need to set a much higher bar a yearly subscription is neither here nor there as it just doesn’t raise enough money. I’m sure I’ll get shot down for the yearly amount but there are a many who could afford this. Anyway just some ideas to move the club forward.

divas

Re: Owners Club

Post by divas » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:46 pm

That’s why boost the budget was invented which allows you to subscribe as much or as little as you want. It’s going to be the same people subscribing that are members of DFCSG

Rather than those 800 members dwindle to 300 paying more because the price is hiked it’s a far more sensible decision to give them the option to increase the subscription via boost the budget.

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:52 pm

Not if you market it properly, £20 is just to cheap even if you suggest we lose 500 members which I don’t think you will the 300 x £200 = £60k but sell it as DFC Owners Club.

divas

Post by divas » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:58 pm

Then they don’t commit to boost the budget. We’re going after the same people either way. The well is only so deep.

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:04 pm

divas wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:58 pm
Then they don’t commit to boost the budget. We’re going after the same people either way. The well is only so deep.
[/quote

We are just trying to help - out of the ten of us out tonight 8 would pay £200 and two thought a £150 if we are to take the fan model seriously (Super Les) then the fans I was with tonight think we need to up the yearly contributions. It’s just needs to be sold properly.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:12 pm

quakersfan wrote:
divas wrote:
We are just trying to help - out of the ten of us out tonight 8 would pay £200 and two thought a £150 if we are to take the fan model seriously (Super Les) then the fans I was with tonight think we need to up the yearly contributions. It’s just needs to be sold properly.
I don't get it - what's stopping you just putting that amount in to the boost the budget scheme?

Sounds like you're suggesting replacing the BTB scheme, which effectively any fan can contribute to regardless of financial situation, with something more exclusive that can only be afforded by an elite group who are rewarded by grander incentives and getting to be part of a private club?

Sounds very inclusive!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Last edited by Spyman on Wed May 01, 2019 8:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

JE93

Post by JE93 » Wed May 01, 2019 7:10 am

The other problem with that is. With 800 members the DFCSG is a fairly large and representative sample of DFC supporters. Which is important as the DFCSG is the majority shareholder of the club and retains a large amount of power and influence in that respect. If you put the membership money up, it's only natural that some wouldn't be able to afford the rates. This not only cannablises membership but it means that those voting on issues within the DFCSG comes from a smaller less representative sample of darlo fans.

Community ownership needs to remain affordable for the community. The key is to engage more of the community in the club. How to do that effectively is the golden question.

For me between the:
DFCSG membership
BtB (although this might need a re brand)
Darlo fans lottery
Darlo merchandise
50/50 tickets
Events for the benefit of the club

We actually have a decent amount of methods of bringing in funds to the club. We need to focus on maximising the number of members/users of these initiatives.

For example could the 50/50 winning ticket be capped at a certain amount. Eg the actually prize fund under the 50/50 method would have been £550 would it effect sales to say winnings are capped at £400. Therefore instead of the club making £550 same as the winner, the club would make £700 and the winner £400. Might not sound like a lot but an extra £100 a game. More for bigger gates might equate to £3-5k per season.

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Wed May 01, 2019 11:26 am

I think the success of the 50/50 draw has been that it is self perpetuating - more people bought tickets and the prize went up. Others saw the inflated prize and thought I'll have some of that and bought more tickets because of it and it's been snowballing. £16k I think is a fantastic success. Smaller prize = fewer tickets sold I think.
I think you're right though, we don't need more schemes for existing fans to chuck money into, it's more fans that are needed.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed May 01, 2019 11:57 am

If the 50/50 draw is capped then it will no longer be a 50/50 split and will lose it's appeal - if it aint broke don't fix it.

And leading on from this, the 'owners club' idea is not a good one either, as Spyman has pointed out.

The last thing we need is some kind of well heeled elite holding court, we're all equal but some are more equal than others.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Mister e

Post by Mister e » Wed May 01, 2019 2:18 pm

Can't believe anybody would want to change the 50/50 draw after how successful it's become people willing to buy tickets these days because it is run by trustworthy and reliable people. I'll never forget the corrupt regime at feethams under George Reynolds where if you miraculously had a winning ticket you had to hit the crossbar three times from the edge of the penalty area to win an imaginary car. If my memory serves me right he even had Zoe birkett taking pot shots one night because nobody could be bothered to claim their non existent prize.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Wed May 01, 2019 2:28 pm

I totally agree we have the means to help the finances in place already, if you have or want to put more monies into the club then dropping it into the buckets or paying a lump sum over into darlington FC bank account, or back the budget are all equally good for the future running of our club ,we don't need an elitist sector we are all darlington FC fans /owners through membership of DFCSG ,I contribute to all as and when I have cash to spare. It works for me , :thumbup:

Alfie

Post by Alfie » Wed May 01, 2019 3:04 pm

Totally agree that the DFCSG - the owners club - must be financially available to all.Having said that raising it by a few pounds every few years would raise a bit more without putting people off.

I know that match tickets, on the day and season, are subject to VAT - are DFCSG subs VAT free like other donations?

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Wed May 01, 2019 3:22 pm

Donations are the only effective tax free solutions, I said before that a way to attract a larger investor would be to lift the constitutional 15% thus if there is anyone out there who wants to invest they might just come forward, if no one comes forward nothing lost , if they did maybe everything to gain,it's a catch 22 situation damed if you do damed if you don't metaphorically speaking.

divas

Post by divas » Wed May 01, 2019 4:25 pm

The 15% is almost irrelevant under our current ownership model as the DFCSG are the majority shareholder and therefore the only entity that have the power to make further share capital available which would be needed for anyone to own more than 15% Recently the only share capital made available has been exclusively for purchase by DFCSG.

The maximum single shareholding was written into the articles at a time when it wasn’t clear how the club would be owned to protect any single individual from owning a large stake and promote ownership by a small number of high net worth individuals which was always Martin Jesper’s preferred route - half a dozen owners that could put in £50K-100K per season

Conversely if there’s anyone out there interested in taking over DFC I doubt they even know that this limit exists until they engage with the club / DFCSG so to say that it’s potentially putting a speculative “investor” off is a bit of a misnomer.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Wed May 01, 2019 4:38 pm

It's a misnomer if someone knows about it and they are not coming forward because of it also, or am I wrong in that thinking.

divas

Post by divas » Wed May 01, 2019 4:40 pm

It’s not like we shout from the rooftops about it. In fact visit our “window to the world” our website and you wouldn’t even know we were fan owned! The only place you can find out is to trawl though forums or read the articles and I can’t see any prospective investor doing that.

If we want someone to come on board we’ll need to go out and find it.

QuakerPete

Post by QuakerPete » Wed May 01, 2019 10:11 pm

onewayup wrote:I totally agree we have the means to help the finances in place already, if you have or want to put more monies into the club then dropping it into the buckets or paying a lump sum over into darlington FC bank account, or back the budget are all equally good for the future running of our club ,we don't need an elitist sector we are all darlington FC fans /owners through membership of DFCSG ,I contribute to all as and when I have cash to spare. It works for me , :thumbup:
And now that the 2019-20 BTB scheme is available, it’s a perfect vehicle for those wanting to invest substantial or small amounts. £2 per week gets the club £112; £10 per week gets £560; both not insignificant totals over a year and providing continuous income. Even the base £1 per week is a valuable contribution.
The price of a pint per week (£3) would contribute over £160 - once set up its easy to forget about it as it’s paid automatically.
https://fundraising.darlingtonfcsupport ... dget-19-20

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Thu May 02, 2019 6:29 am

Over £20000 donated in 13 hours.

We literally have the best supporters ever :clap: :clap:

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Thu May 02, 2019 7:24 am

AndyPark wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 6:29 am
Over £20000 donated in 13 hours.

We literally have the best supporters ever :clap: :clap:
We do never doubted that, I’ll be renewing mine tomorrow and going to increase amount

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Thu May 02, 2019 3:16 pm

quakersfan wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:04 pm
divas wrote:
Not sure why you are pulling me into this debate Quakersfan, the only reason I can think of is you are still crying about being called out for telling the same lie over and over again.

You and those discussing should bring it up with the DFCSG board, you talk to them often enough so shouldn't be too difficult, I don't think it's the best way forward but we all have opinions and maybe brought up for members to vote on. I am comfortable going with the majority if everyone has had a reasonable information and debate.

You didn't come back on my question on what you think the best ownership for DFC is currently, although you seem convinced I am the biggest advocate of fans owned, when in reality I see the pros and cons of it and personally open to a discussion on any way forward.

Also as mentioned by others your 'owners club' would this by supplementary to BTB so they would put £200 in both say? They would be gains and losses to this, be good to see some figures to show that this would make a significat difference to current format and then the harder to measure if this reduces fan engagment as a number are locked out of the more exclusive owners club.

Fatty eats roadkill

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Thu May 02, 2019 3:33 pm

Would this “owners club” entitle me to unlimited prawn cocktail sandwiches and a ham shank from some ropey brass? If not then what we have is perfectly fine. £20 for a yearly membership and whatever you want into BTB. If you really want to declare yourself as an “owner” then get a t-shirt made stating it :thumbup:
Waiting for Raj to shaft them!

Alfie

Post by Alfie » Thu May 02, 2019 4:38 pm

For me the main point of the DFCSG is to get as many fans as possible involved with a stake in the club and through that have a say, albeit a small one, in major decisions affecting how the club is run. Providing an income stream is secondary. For that reason I would always want the membership fee to be kept at a level where virtually anyone can afford it. As others have said there are plenty of methods available for those able and willing to put more in.