Darlington FC fightback victories

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Mister e
Team Supported: Darlington

Darlington FC fightback victories

Post by Mister e » Wed May 08, 2019 7:32 pm

Following Liverpool's victory over Barcelona last night I was thinking of some great Quaker fightback wins over the years the 3 2 victory over Burnley at Boro in the fa cup the 3 2 win at feethams against Swansea under David hodgson but there's one game always seems to go under the radar going back to the end of the 1973-74 season we needed to beat Barnsley on the final day at feethams to avoid re-election has it was in those days trailing 1 0 at half-time and 2 1 midway through the second half we sprang into life scoring three goals in no time to secure a 4 2 victory and our football league status indeed we played so well the final quarter of an hour it could have been six or seven. Yet the following week manager at the time dick Connor was sacked. Scant reward for keeping us up against all odds.

Darlo_Pete

Re: Darlington FC fightback victories

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed May 08, 2019 8:01 pm

I remember Matt Clarke scoring a couple of late goals, to turn round a game at Feethams, one was a spectacular volley. Can't remember who it was against.
That game at the Riverside was a special night, terrific atmosphere as well.

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Wed May 08, 2019 8:43 pm

Has to be Darlington 3-2 Gateshead in the Trophy semi final! :thumbup:
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Wed May 08, 2019 9:26 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 8:01 pm
I remember Matt Clarke scoring a couple of late goals, to turn round a game at Feethams, one was a spectacular volley. Can't remember who it was against.
Was it orient, in our second game at the arena? We scored two late goals to win 2-1, Clarke got one as he was playing up front at the time, and set up Chris Hughes for the other, if I remember right.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed May 08, 2019 9:32 pm

tdk1 wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 9:26 pm
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 8:01 pm
Was it orient, in our second game at the arena? We scored two late goals to win 2-1, Clarke got one as he was playing up front at the time, and set up Chris Hughes for the other, if I remember right.
No it was definitely at Feethams.

Wow what a fight back by Spurs tonight against Ajax. Not sure which was the greatest achievement Spurs tonight or Liverpool last night? It's fantastic that we have 2 English teams in the final of the European Cup. It would be great if Chelsea and Arsenal go through tomorrow. Can't imagine one country has provided 4 finalists in the European finals?

Darl-Zero

Post by Darl-Zero » Wed May 08, 2019 9:41 pm

Coming from 2 down at home to Hartlepool to win 5-2. McClean in the tin shed end before half time then 4 from Alan Walsh in the Polam end in the second half. About 1981 I think.
Also coming from 3-1 down at Salford to win 4-3 has got to be worth a shout.

polam

Post by polam » Thu May 09, 2019 6:28 am

Darl-Zero wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 9:41 pm
Coming from 2 down at home to Hartlepool to win 5-2. McClean in the tin shed end before half time then 4 from Alan Walsh in the Polam end in the second half. About 1981 I think.
The Pools 5-2 was the first one coming to mind for me as well. One of Walsh's 4 was a retaken penalty after the first effort sailed out of the ground over the top of the Polam End. From what I remember it was an Easter Monday game, with a strange 6-30 kick off time; Darlington at the time being a rarity as a town where many shops and the market were open on a Bank Holiday. No pubs open during the day then of course!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu May 09, 2019 7:00 am

Yep I remember that win over poolie. Walshy's penalty was hit that far over the bar and low flying aircraft would have been in danger.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Thu May 09, 2019 7:56 am

polam wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 6:28 am
Darl-Zero wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 9:41 pm
The Pools 5-2 was the first one coming to mind for me as well. One of Walsh's 4 was a retaken penalty after the first effort sailed out of the ground over the top of the Polam End. From what I remember it was an Easter Monday game, with a strange 6-30 kick off time; Darlington at the time being a rarity as a town where many shops and the market were open on a Bank Holiday. No pubs open during the day then of course!

I was at that one. Seem to remember Newcastle had played away at Sheff Wednesday in a 3pm ko as quite a few came into ground in second half to join in the post match "discussions" with the Hartlepool contingent

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Thu May 09, 2019 9:53 am

All of the above are worth remembering. One I would add is a 4-3 win at York it was only a Freight Rover tie but Darlo gave York the lead twice then played them off the pitch with Gary McDonald in his prime, Dave Currie and Paul Ward dominating a team who were a league above us. Dave Booth turned out an attractive attacking team in his first season and I think he was unfairly blamed for what happened in the next campaign, but as I tell the Notts. fan's I know relegation isn't so bad when you start winning again.

Geordie Quaker

Post by Geordie Quaker » Thu May 09, 2019 10:33 am

A couple of others to ponder:

99/00: A 2-2 draw against Shrewsbury as we stuttered towards blowing automatic promotion. They went 2-0 up with 88 minutes gone and we someone clawed it back. Pitch invasion tasitc!

2002ish? Darlo 3-2 Luton: Sheeeeerrraaaannnn.

2001: Forest away, a 2-1 win from going behind early courtesy of a Stuart Elliott fifty yarder.

2006/07 ish (one of the years we finished 8th): A Wainy thunderbastard saw us secure a vita late win at Torquay from a goal down.

feethams

Post by feethams » Thu May 09, 2019 10:59 am

I remember celebrating what we thought was a fantastic comeback. 1998 v Sheff Utd at Feethams in the cup second leg. Should have gone through on the away goals rule when Devos scored in 84th min. We were down to 10 men in that game also, Glen Naylor was sent off before half time and we still managed to win 2-0.

They did go on to win the tie overall by scoring twice in extra time .

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu May 09, 2019 11:16 am

feethams wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 10:59 am
I remember celebrating what we thought was a fantastic comeback. 1998 v Sheff Utd at Feethams in the cup second leg. Should have gone through on the away goals rule when Devos scored in 84th min. We were down to 10 men in that game also, Glen Naylor was sent off before half time and we still managed to win 2-0.

They did go on to win the tie overall by scoring twice in extra time .
I must be confusing this game - I thought Darren Roberts scored for us. I have memories that it was Dean Saunders who did the damage in extra time mind - and I think this was the season where Sheffield United walked off the pitch at Arsenal following the Kanu goal from "kicking the ball out"

Vokuhila

Post by Vokuhila » Thu May 09, 2019 11:55 am

lo36789 wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 11:16 am
I must be confusing this game - I thought Darren Roberts scored for us.
Super Daz got our goal in the first leg.

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Thu May 09, 2019 3:34 pm

Was anybody at the epic quarter-final league cup at Derby in 1967 when we came back to 4-5 and nearly equalised? It might have become an urban myth but I've seen a Derby evening paper report saying we were unlucky. Joe Jacques scored and Les O'Neil bossed the Derby defense.

DARLODAH

Post by DARLODAH » Thu May 09, 2019 4:25 pm

I was there and have the programme. We hit the bar at 5-4 !

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Thu May 09, 2019 5:00 pm

Wiseacre wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 3:34 pm
Was anybody at the epic quarter-final league cup at Derby in 1967 when we came back to 4-5 and nearly equalised? It might have become an urban myth but I've seen a Derby evening paper report saying we were unlucky. Joe Jacques scored and Les O'Neil bossed the Derby defense.
Yes I believe to this day another 5 minutes we would have not drawn but won. Tony Moor insists he was fouled by Ohare for 2 of the goals.
I just say Cloughie paid the ref.