Blyth statement

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Alfie
Team Supported: Darlington

Blyth statement

Post by Alfie » Tue May 21, 2019 2:22 pm

http://www.blythspartans.com/club-state ... -spartans/

Obviously not happy - taking legal advice.

Hopefully we have done everything by the book and this is an issue between AA and Blyth

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Re: Blyth statement

Post by grimsbyquaker » Tue May 21, 2019 2:30 pm

Their fans are full of praise for him/his efforts, the players and even for our fans and board. Their ire is directed at their own board

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Tue May 21, 2019 2:32 pm

In my work life I could apply for a job I fancied, have an interview then tell my current employers I was going to a new job. My contract usually had a notice period clause, maybe that's the part that's a problem? Having said that if I just walked out if a job not sure what would happen.

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by grimsbyquaker » Tue May 21, 2019 2:35 pm

I doubt they’d be able to afford a legal battle given their current plight. As one fan on their Facebook page commented, they’ve gone from being in with a shout of NL football to this exodus in just a few days. I’d say the faux outrage is a diversion tactic to deflect from the true root cause of all this. Sad time for their fans and players

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Tue May 21, 2019 2:40 pm

don'tbuythesun wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 2:32 pm
In my work life I could apply for a job I fancied, have an interview then tell my current employers I was going to a new job. My contract usually had a notice period clause, maybe that's the part that's a problem? Having said that if I just walked out if a job not sure what would happen.
My guess is that AA must have a weeks notice on his contract, why else would he not start until next Monday at such a busy time.

I'm also guessing that Blyth taking legal advice is nothing more than their pet lip coming out. We probably can't agree on compo, and maybe Blyth might think that they can squeeze more somehow.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Tue May 21, 2019 2:43 pm

Fair comment, it'll all come out in the wash....or not!

bigdavethemaddog

Post by bigdavethemaddog » Tue May 21, 2019 2:46 pm

announce a pre-season friendly against Blyth now

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Tue May 21, 2019 3:05 pm

Can't blame them it happened to us not so long ago on a Sunday 🤔 And our fans went divy calling all names under the sun, I wonder if they will go divy cos we have done the same to Blyth , I suspect NOT

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Tue May 21, 2019 3:15 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 3:05 pm
Can't blame them it happened to us not so long ago on a Sunday 🤔 And our fans went divy calling all names under the sun, I wonder if they will go divy cos we have done the same to Blyth , I suspect NOT

What have we "done" to Blyth exactly? Nothing.

We asked for applicants for our vacant role and appointed the best one.

darlo_baron

Post by darlo_baron » Tue May 21, 2019 3:21 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:

You have absolutely no idea what has happened behind the scenes, so I have no clue why you are jumping to conclusions based on another club's statement.

The two situations, at least on the face of it, are also different. We have actively advertised our role and invited people to apply to the club. I assume AA did so. York however, did not and approached our manager directly.

On a final note, you are constantly looking to bash the club's fans at every opportunity on here, for one reason or another. It's actually getting quite weird.
Craig Liddle is God!!

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Tue May 21, 2019 3:45 pm

If this is the "full" statement promised by Blyth, then it tells you nothing other than the fact they they are boiling that their manager applied for the vacant job here and got it. We haven't done anything in an underhand or irresponsible manner and I'm afraid they will just have to get over it and move on. As said, it smacks of an attempt to deflect the flak they are getting from their own fans but doesn't appear to have worked.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Tue May 21, 2019 4:04 pm

darlo_baron wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 3:21 pm
On a final note, you are constantly looking to bash the club's fans at every opportunity on here, for one reason or another. It's actually getting quite weird.
Was just starting to think that myself.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Tue May 21, 2019 4:18 pm

With a top HR man involved in this, I'm pretty certain everything has been done by the book.

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Tue May 21, 2019 4:33 pm

At the end of the day managers get sacked, leave of their own accord, Blyth cannot hold him at gun point. No doubt it will happen to us again. But as per the above posts he must have applied for the job, we were inviting applications. They are only seeking legal advice, no doubt just to put the frighteners up us, but nothing will come of it.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Tue May 21, 2019 4:50 pm

darlo_baron wrote:
HarrytheQuaker wrote:

You have absolutely no idea what has happened behind the scenes, so I have no clue why you are jumping to conclusions based on another club's statement.

The two situations, at least on the face of it, are also different. We have actively advertised our role and invited people to apply to the club. I assume AA did so. York however, did not and approached our manager directly.

I'm not trying to bash our fans I'm just trying to play devils advocate trying to see both sides, fair enough we advertised slightly different to MG but not a million miles off the same situation.. All I'm saying is I feel for Blyth but that football i suppose

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Tue May 21, 2019 5:03 pm

Totally different from what happened in the Martin Gray situation, the club advertised for a manager with a certain criteria, A. A. applied and was deamed the best candidate so got the job. MG couldn't get his own way spit the dummy out got the York job then told our club he was leaving, next day he is York manager different as can be. It finished A. ARMSTRONG is Darlo manager.

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Tue May 21, 2019 6:01 pm

I’ve got every confidence in Jonathan Jowett our company secretary and John Vickerman advising on everything HR would have checked all this out before any contract was offered as that’s both their day jobs.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Wed May 22, 2019 11:16 am

I thought I'd read somewhere that we'd asked Blyth's permission to speak to him. I assumed this to mean, he applied, so we asked Blyth at that point. Could be wrong

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Wed May 22, 2019 11:50 am

I presume he is starting officially on the 27th not only because he wants a break but because he may have to give a months notice as per his contract??
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

spen666

Post by spen666 » Wed May 22, 2019 12:13 pm

D_F_C wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 11:16 am
I thought I'd read somewhere that we'd asked Blyth's permission to speak to him. I assumed this to mean, he applied, so we asked Blyth at that point. Could be wrong

Its not as straight forward as that. Most football players/ managers are on fixed term contracts. You and I are normally employed on open contracts that can be terminated by giving notice on either side- eg 1 week, one month, or whatever.

With a fixed term contract the two parties are contracted to employ/ work for the other for the term of the contract ( subject to any notice clauses). That is why if you sack a manager, you have to pay him off (usually!)

I have no idea of what happened here, but if Blyth gave permission for Darlington to speak to AA, that is not the same as agreeing to release AA.

Sometimes a package is agreed in advance before a manager is given permission to speak to another club. At this level, that is less likely .

Whether Blyth have a case or not will depend on the terms of the contract AA had with Blyth and in addition to what permissions if any were agreed between the 3 parties.

Potentially (and I highlight the word potentially), Blyth could seek an injunction to prevent AA working for Darlington or any other company until his contract has expired ( or been lawfully terminated). I can only recall that happening once and that involved Trevor Francis and Steve Bruce swapping jobs at I think Palace & Birmingham (or was it Palace & Sheff Utd.) courts are reluctant to grant injunctions in these sort of cases as they can be seen to be an unfair restraint of trade

The situation seems to be slightly different to when MG went to York, because then DFC accepted MG's resignation, whereas here BSFC appear not to have accepted his resignation.

To be honest, its really up to Blyth what if any action they take. They are not going to be able to force AA to work for them ( and who would want to keep a manager that wants away - MG to York situation). The best BSFC can hope for is compensation, and that would depend on the terms of the contract he was employed under.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Wed May 22, 2019 12:36 pm

I'd trust the club have followed the proper process and procedure with this, so i can't say i'm terribly concerned about it.

I'd imagine Armstrong would probably have a decent case to make for resigning there, given it sounds like they're selling off everyone to cut costs. That said, i'd imagine we will be paying something for his services. Which i don't mind. He's not a proven manager at this level. I've no desire for us to screw Blyth over, but this does almost sound like the Blyth board trying to cover their unpopularity from the fans.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Wed May 22, 2019 1:39 pm

spen666 wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 12:13 pm
D_F_C wrote:

Its not as straight forward as that. Most football players/ managers are on fixed term contracts. You and I are normally employed on open contracts that can be terminated by giving notice on either side- eg 1 week, one month, or whatever.

With a fixed term contract the two parties are contracted to employ/ work for the other for the term of the contract ( subject to any notice clauses). That is why if you sack a manager, you have to pay him off (usually!)

I have no idea of what happened here, but if Blyth gave permission for Darlington to speak to AA, that is not the same as agreeing to release AA.

Sometimes a package is agreed in advance before a manager is given permission to speak to another club. At this level, that is less likely .

Whether Blyth have a case or not will depend on the terms of the contract AA had with Blyth and in addition to what permissions if any were agreed between the 3 parties.

Potentially (and I highlight the word potentially), Blyth could seek an injunction to prevent AA working for Darlington or any other company until his contract has expired ( or been lawfully terminated). I can only recall that happening once and that involved Trevor Francis and Steve Bruce swapping jobs at I think Palace & Birmingham (or was it Palace & Sheff Utd.) courts are reluctant to grant injunctions in these sort of cases as they can be seen to be an unfair restraint of trade

The situation seems to be slightly different to when MG went to York, because then DFC accepted MG's resignation, whereas here BSFC appear not to have accepted his resignation.

To be honest, its really up to Blyth what if any action they take. They are not going to be able to force AA to work for them ( and who would want to keep a manager that wants away - MG to York situation). The best BSFC can hope for is compensation, and that would depend on the terms of the contract he was employed under.
For someone that works in the legal trade, you really need to brush up on your law knowledge.

Anyway, shouldn’t you go back to stirring on Twitter, as opposed to putting up a reasonable (yet poorly thought-out backed up with poor law knowledge) debate on here?

spen666

Post by spen666 » Wed May 22, 2019 2:13 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 1:39 pm
spen666 wrote:
D_F_C wrote:

For someone that works in the legal trade, you really need to brush up on your law knowledge.

Anyway, shouldn’t you go back to stirring on Twitter, as opposed to putting up a reasonable (yet poorly thought-out backed up with poor law knowledge) debate on here?

Please advise me where I am wrong in law then ?

I wait to learn from you where I am wrong in law

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Wed May 22, 2019 2:55 pm

Split personality, Out and out Twitter Troll v's reasonably friendly outsider on here.

Anyhow I would suggest the actual getting Armstrong as our manager wasn't as smooth or go exactly how we wanted. His resignation and turning up at Darlo is very reminiscent of Gray.

We were speaking with Blyth at the time so who knows how that ended.

liamsears

Post by liamsears » Wed May 22, 2019 2:59 pm

I would guess that Blyth have no recourse to us for anything, the contract is surely between Blyth and AA. It sounds as if DFC have done nothing wrong, we've advertised, interviewed and offered the role of manager.

Whether we choose to smooth the way for AA by offering Blyth something to cover anything they feel they are owed by AA for breach of contract (if indeed he did breach any contract) is a separate point.

dfc4me

Post by dfc4me » Wed May 22, 2019 3:06 pm

Surely if Blyth hadn’t accepted his resignation they would have had to tell both him and us so he wouldn’t have been able come here and be announced as our new manager.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Wed May 22, 2019 3:12 pm

liamsears wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 2:59 pm
I would guess that Blyth have no recourse to us for anything, the contract is surely between Blyth and AA. It sounds as if DFC have done nothing wrong, we've advertised, interviewed and offered the role of manager.

Whether we choose to smooth the way for AA by offering Blyth something to cover anything they feel they are owed by AA for breach of contract (if indeed he did breach any contract) is a separate point.
On the other side, we would be steaming if say Thompson done that and signed for South Shields. However he has a player registration that needs to be handed over so it's not so easy.

This does seem common in non league football, not sure morally it's perfect.

I don't think we were unwilling to look at some payment.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Wed May 22, 2019 3:36 pm

spen666 wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 2:13 pm
Darlofan97 wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 1:39 pm
spen666 wrote:
D_F_C wrote:

Please advise me where I am wrong in law then ?

I wait to learn from you where I am wrong in law
An employer can’t legally reject an employee’s resignation for one. Yet you say Blyth haven’t accepted AA’s, when legally they can’t not accept it.

Like Super_Les says, you have a split ego. You act like a friendly rival fan on here yet spout rubbish on Twitter with the intention of causing problems.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Wed May 22, 2019 3:48 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 3:36 pm
….

An employer can’t legally reject an employee’s resignation for one. Yet you say Blyth haven’t accepted AA’s, when legally they can’t not accept it.

…..

When there is a FIXED term contract the employer can refuse to accept the resignation.

There is a clue in the name ie FIXED Term Contract. I dealt with that in my earlier post when I contrasted a fixed term contract to the sort you or I are normally employed on.

If you were right, then there could never be transfer fees in football because for example Harry Kane could just say to Spurs, I'm leaving and sign for nothing the same day for Manchester City.

I even gave you the example of Steve Bruce resigning at Crystal Palace and being prevented by an injunction obtained by Palace from resigning to take up the Birmingham City job. clear evidence that an employer can refuse to accept a resignation on a fixed term contract.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Wed May 22, 2019 3:59 pm

An employer can’t refuse a resignation whether it is a fixed-term or permanent contract. They will have to accept it and the employee will be legally required to work their notice period.

Like Super_Les points out, football clubs pay for the registration with the relevant FA.