Signings

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

ReeceStyche’sManbun
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Signings

Post by ReeceStyche’sManbun » Fri May 24, 2019 6:49 pm

5 deals for players nearly concluded apparently, wonder who it could be?? Rivers Jameson and Atkinson seem really likely wonder who the other 2 could be

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Fri May 24, 2019 6:58 pm

Certainly will be interesting, makes you excited for next season but then it's always exciting with fresh faces and whole season ahead.

We will see further players leave as well.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Fri May 24, 2019 7:05 pm

Sounds like he also has a close eye on the Academy releases.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Fri May 24, 2019 8:07 pm

Jordan Watson plus maybe someone from Gateshead?

Radar

Post by Radar » Sat May 25, 2019 9:15 pm

Louis Laing officially confirmed as signed on LinkedIn

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat May 25, 2019 9:37 pm

Haha, he really shouldn't have shared as yet but not a total shock.

More to follow.

quakerman

Post by quakerman » Sat May 25, 2019 9:43 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:Haha, he really shouldn't have shared as yet but not a total shock.

More to follow.
How many Les and what positions.?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat May 25, 2019 9:51 pm

quakerman wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 9:43 pm
super_les_mcjannet wrote:Haha, he really shouldn't have shared as yet but not a total shock.

More to follow.
How many Les and what positions.?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mainly just rumours but it seems around another 4 players are lined up, that's nothing most don't already know. You would assume that included Rivers and Atkinson from Blyth, mentioned in the Echo already.

We could well have a LB as we need one, reading between the lines I think Liddle would be a decent shout from Blyth also. Resolves a problem for AA very quickly.

Then hopefully a surprise or two after that.

All of these have been discussed on social media, it just depends who you trust and if they are normally accurate with info.

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Sun May 26, 2019 5:22 am

Wouldn't surprise me if Smith from Barnsley comes in. Heard he was close to signing before Wright left.

Darlo2807

Post by Darlo2807 » Sun May 26, 2019 7:07 am

Spennymoor ‘share an interest’ in the players we’re looking at. I’m starting to genuinely think they do it out of spite, not as if they need a 7th centre back or a 4th striker

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sun May 26, 2019 7:14 am

Is laing a centre back? And if so does this mean either ainge is going up front, ainge is out, or galbraith is going to left back?

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun May 26, 2019 7:25 am

tdk1 wrote:Is laing a centre back? And if so does this mean either ainge is going up front, ainge is out, or galbraith is going to left back?
Played almost all his games at CB, must be very decent to have played quite a few games for Motherwell as well as FL.Atkinson has been rumoured also and pretty sure he is a RB so wonder where that leaves Troutman, possibly AA prefers more local players but next week will be interesting for sure.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Darlogramps

Signings

Post by Darlogramps » Sun May 26, 2019 7:26 am

tdk1 wrote:Is laing a centre back? And if so does this mean either ainge is going up front, ainge is out, or galbraith is going to left back?
From his interview last week, I took it that Armstrong was going to at least try Ainge up front at some point in pre-season.

Laing and Atkinson both play centre back I believe (Atkinson can play RB or CB and is reported to be someone we have an interest in) so along with Galbraith, there’s plenty of cover starting to develop.

But I just don’t see Ainge being a success up front. We tried him there repeatedly last season and it didn’t work. And it was little to do with tactics, more the fact he’s not able to run. He gets away with that at CB where a lot of it is to do with positioning.

But up front, being good in the air, which he is, will only get you so far.

As for Laing, my guess is he won’t be first choice. Certainly wasn’t at Blyth, so I hope people don’t get carried away with “He played for Motherwell once so must be brilliant.” Last couple of years he’s been quiet and the reports from the Simian Stranglers haven’t been great.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sun May 26, 2019 7:38 am

Ainge is just carrying to much weight, looks a good stone and maybe a bit more since he was scoring all those goals at Harrogate, sort his weight out (which is up to him) and he could be that striker again.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sun May 26, 2019 7:39 am

I do think with ainge that we didn't play to his strengths at all. We never got the ball crossed from the by line for him to meet, because we were trying to play a system unsuited to the wide players we had. I'd say it's not impossible for him to succeed, even if it seems pretty unlikely.

Also, LinkedIn?

Beano

Post by Beano » Sun May 26, 2019 7:47 am

Ainge has two problems last season:

1 - He was horrifically unfit throughout.
2 - He is a target man who relies on wingers getting into the box and whipping balls which is the opposite of how we played.

I hope he does somehow because a roaring success but I can’t see it.

Darlogramps

Signings

Post by Darlogramps » Sun May 26, 2019 7:49 am

Darlopartisan wrote:Ainge is just carrying to much weight, looks a good stone and maybe a bit more since he was scoring all those goals at Harrogate, sort his weight out (which is up to him) and he could be that striker again.
Disagree. This isn’t a case of “lose a stone and he’ll be grand.”

He suffered a major injury which kept him out for a long time. It was clear last season that he can barely run. And if you don’t have that movement, you’ll be limited as a striker.

I just think we stick with what we know, which is he’s a great centre back for this league, so play him there.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Quakers83

Post by Quakers83 » Sun May 26, 2019 7:54 am

tdk1 wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 7:39 am
I do think with ainge that we didn't play to his strengths at all. We never got the ball crossed from the by line for him to meet, because we were trying to play a system unsuited to the wide players we had. I'd say it's not impossible for him to succeed, even if it seems pretty unlikely.

Also, LinkedIn?
Laing looks to have recently started employment with a business in the N/E, this was announced on LinkedIn and he was described as a current Darlington FC footballer.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun May 26, 2019 7:57 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 7:49 am
Darlopartisan wrote:Ainge is just carrying to much weight, looks a good stone and maybe a bit more since he was scoring all those goals at Harrogate, sort his weight out (which is up to him) and he could be that striker again.
Disagree. This isn’t a case of “lose a stone and he’ll be grand.”

He suffered a major injury which kept him out for a long time. It was clear last season that he can barely run. And if you don’t have that movement, you’ll be limited as a striker.

I just think we stick with what we know, which is he’s a great centre back for this league, so play him there.
Agreed, Gramps.

Ainge was very poor last year up-front, and still missed a few good chances when he did get crosses in to the box.

We actually looked like getting our monies worth when he moved to centre-half.

It’ll be between Ainge/Galbraith/Laing for centre half next season and we will attempt to off-load Burn. I don’t think we will sign Buddle who will follow the money at Spennymoor, just hope Jameson doesn’t.

Atkinson can cover anywhere across the back 4 and defensive midfield, Liddle is also a LB who can also play RB, so good versatile options to have if they sign.
Last edited by Darlofan97 on Sun May 26, 2019 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sun May 26, 2019 7:58 am

Quakers83 wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 7:54 am
tdk1 wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 7:39 am

Also, LinkedIn?
Laing looks to have recently started employment with a business in the N/E, this was announced on LinkedIn and he was described as a current Darlington FC footballer.
Ah, okay. Thought it was a weird place for a footballer to make an announcement like that

Quakers83

Post by Quakers83 » Sun May 26, 2019 8:02 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 7:26 am
From his interview last week, I took it that Armstrong was going to at least try Ainge up front at some point in pre-season.

Laing and Atkinson both play centre back I believe (Atkinson can play RB or CB and is reported to be someone we have an interest in) so along with Galbraith, there’s plenty of cover starting to develop.

But I just don’t see Ainge being a success up front. We tried him there repeatedly last season and it didn’t work. And it was little to do with tactics, more the fact he’s not able to run. He gets away with that at CB where a lot of it is to do with positioning.

But up front, being good in the air, which he is, will only get you so far.

As for Laing, my guess is he won’t be first choice. Certainly wasn’t at Blyth, so I hope people don’t get carried away with “He played for Motherwell once so must be brilliant.” Last couple of years he’s been quiet and the reports from the Simian Stranglers haven’t been great.
Atkinson is primarily a RB, who can fit in at either CB or holding midfield (where he played against Altrincham in the play-offs). This may point to Trotman being snapped up by a higher club this summer.

As for Laing, signed for Blyth in October last year, made 4 apps prior to a few injuries, a deal then broke down with an international side and he then re-signed for Blyth in January. He went on to make 16 apps from 19 games (had to also contend with suspension due to a straight red in their 3-0 win over Boston) - he seemed quite highly favoured by AA with all due respect.

Loughlin also had it in for Laing by all accounts if the comments I’ve read on Twitter are anything to go by. Let’s see how he performs in a Darlo shirt.

Quakers83

Post by Quakers83 » Sun May 26, 2019 8:05 am

Darlo2807 wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 7:07 am
Spennymoor ‘share an interest’ in the players we’re looking at. I’m starting to genuinely think they do it out of spite, not as if they need a 7th centre back or a 4th striker
More than likely Jameson, Buddle and Maguire if the rumours are anything to go by.

They are really going for it - all the best to them.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sun May 26, 2019 8:09 am

Surely they don't need another goalkeeper? They must have some players who will be sick of sitting in the stands as well?

Quakers83

Post by Quakers83 » Sun May 26, 2019 8:15 am

tdk1 wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 7:14 am
Is laing a centre back? And if so does this mean either ainge is going up front, ainge is out, or galbraith is going to left back?
As per super_les’s comments, we may see players leaving too. With the two players AA has backed publicly, it’s easy to identify those who may go.

Burn - poor last season, probably on good money, do we look to offload?

Ainge - is he a centre-half, or is he a centre-forward? Again, on good money, and we talk about value for money - he is probably paid the same as a 20 goal forward at this level.

Trotman - brilliant player, rightfully PPOTS, well deserved England C - surely would have interest from higher in the pyramid?

Nicholson - does he want to be here now that TW has left, it’s a long way to travel - AA needs to make a judgement call on Elliott too in terms of a new contract.

Glover - Could be a one to be loaned out to a Midlands based club for game time to help in his development.

Interesting summer ahead.

Quakers83

Post by Quakers83 » Sun May 26, 2019 8:21 am

tdk1 wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 8:09 am
Surely they don't need another goalkeeper? They must have some players who will be sick of sitting in the stands as well?
Well a quick look at their website suggests they have around 20 players, including two goalkeepers, four centre-halves and three strikers - with strong rumours they are in for four of Blyth’s players - and the rest.

They’re giving it a right good go, some of their players I’d definitely have at Darlo.

Quakers83

Post by Quakers83 » Sun May 26, 2019 8:26 am

David Atkinson and Jarrett Rivers also definitely joining Laing at BM according to TNE.

divas

Post by divas » Sun May 26, 2019 8:33 am

tdk1 wrote:
Word is that Gould is leaving Spennymoor as his father has been sacked as GK coach at Middlesbrough and the family are relocating. Hence the move for Jameson. Rumours have it that we’re looking at another GK from Middlesbrough.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun May 26, 2019 8:40 am

divas wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 8:33 am
tdk1 wrote:
Word is that Gould is leaving Spennymoor as his father has been sacked as GK coach at Middlesbrough and the family are relocating. Hence the move for Jameson. Rumours have it that we’re looking at another GK from Middlesbrough.
Wouldn’t mind Joe Fryer, or Zach Hemming back.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun May 26, 2019 8:44 am

Darlofan97 wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 8:40 am
divas wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 8:33 am
tdk1 wrote:
Wouldn’t mind Joe Fryer, or Zach Hemming back.
Only one of those out of the two making it to BM, the other has been on loan at league clubs already.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun May 26, 2019 8:46 am

Darlo2807 wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 7:07 am
Why wouldn’t they be interested in very good players for this level.

We do need to stop being so upset by it, Spenny aim should be to win the league and ours is a top 10 finish. It’s obvious that both clubs would be interested in very good players at this level.