Those Golden Games

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Those Golden Games

Post by Wiseacre » Mon May 27, 2019 8:27 pm

Close season is a time for reflection, to recall those clubs we seemed to have some good connections with and played some memorable games with. Like Crewe, Hull City, Port Vale and Lincoln City. Living down here I saw some good stuff from the Quakers; a 3-0 win with a missed penalty, a masterly 2-0 with goals from Appleby and someone else and best of all a 2-2 when we were 2-0 down at half-time and down to ten men. Hodgson put Ndumbu-Nsunga - who he'd fallen out with on the bus - on and moved Wainwright onto the right. Nsungu scored a cracker and we battered the Imps with Wainy destroying their back line. The Lincoln fans were magnanimous and there generally seems to be a good vibe between the two clubs. It's not quite the same at Notts County but Forest fans still wince when our name comes up.
Does anyone have similar views regarding other clubs? I'd count York as a derby we've had some good games with them.

loan_star
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Those Golden Games

Post by loan_star » Mon May 27, 2019 9:00 pm

Paul Olson was the other scorer the day we won 2-0.
Ndumbu Nsungu was dropped because he was trying to get a move to Cardiff so Hodgy dropped him for showing a lack of respect to the club that had been the one to give him another chance. It got the desired reaction and he ended up extending his Darlo contract till the end of the season.
I remember another game at Lincoln when the pitch was a bog and Bernie Slaven was denied a beauty of a goal when he chipped the keeper and it got stuck in the mud on the goal line.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue May 28, 2019 7:43 am

I remember when we played at Lincoln City under David Penney, when Alun Armstrong was in the side. Darren Holloway scored just before half-time. Michael Cummings scored after 55 mins to double our lead. Then Simon Johnson scored on 73 mins to make it 0-3. Lincoln pulled one back late on. But I don't recall another game when we completely dominated a game like that. I was that impressed I bought a DVD of the game, which I have never played.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue May 28, 2019 8:41 am

The most one-sided game I can remember (in our favour) was away at Wycombe. I think they were top and we were second at the time.

We went one up and they could barely get out of their own half for the rest of the game until the dying minutes when I think the Hitman gave the ball away when all he needed to do was head for the corner flag, and Steve Foster gave away a penalty which they equalised from with pretty much the last kick of the game.

https://www.skysports.com/football/wyco ... ngton/6197

Report here - totally forgot about the red card for handbags between two of their own players.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC