New signings and outgoings

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: botrash, mikkyx, charlie, uncovered

Darlo_CR
Posts: 352
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:33 am
Team Supported: Darlington

New signings and outgoings

Post by Darlo_CR » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:34 pm

We have signed former Spennymoor and Alfreton goalkeeper Chris Elliott and the signing of Adam Campbell is imminent along with a loan signing from Boro.

Elliott sounds like a pretty good signing, experienced and is a goalkeeper coach at Leeds United.

Also Burn and Glover are set to go on trial with other clubs.
Last edited by Darlo_CR on Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

poppyfield
Posts: 1611
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:36 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New signings and outgoings

Post by poppyfield » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:03 pm

Can someone summarise (I've been away) where we are at with players signed and how the team is looking please.
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

Ghost_Of_1883
Posts: 463
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:33 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New signings and outgoings

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:03 pm

You've made a few assumptions there - the Echo article states that we are looking to bring in a player from a Championship club - it does not mention Boro specifically (although it wouldn't surprise me if it is Boro given AA's connection with them).

The article also states that Burn and Glover have been given permission to go on trial elsewhere, not that they have gone out on trial.
TAFKAQ

@1883Of

Darlo_CR
Posts: 352
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:33 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New signings and outgoings

Post by Darlo_CR » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:15 pm

poppyfield wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:03 pm
Can someone summarise (I've been away) where we are at with players signed and how the team is looking please.
Goalkeepers:
Chris Elliott
Cameron Hall

Defenders:
Luke Trotman
Terry Galbraith
Michael Liddle
Louis Laing
Jonny Burn
Jordan Watson

Midfielders:
David Atkinson
Mitchell Glover
Joe Wheatley
Jarrett Rivers
Stephen Thompson

Forwards:
Simon Ainge
Jamie Holmes
Wilson Kneeshaw

Ghost_Of_1883
Posts: 463
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:33 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New signings and outgoings

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:31 pm

Alfreton fan opinion on Chris Elliott (who played 39 times for them in 2017/18) "Good signing that. I was disappointed we let Chris go. Solid keeper. Good shot stopper. Weak on crosses but a very capable pair of hands"
TAFKAQ

@1883Of

bga
Posts: 1231
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:18 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New signings and outgoings

Post by bga » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:31 pm

poppyfield wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:03 pm
Can someone summarise (I've been away) where we are at with players signed and how the team is looking please.
See the Topic " Season 2019/20" at top of home page. Why duplicate here?

Darlogramps
Posts: 4588
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New signings and outgoings

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:54 pm

poppyfield wrote:Can someone summarise (I've been away) where we are at with players signed and how the team is looking please.
Hi Poppyfield, there’s a Stickied post at the top of the forum which has all the transfers, squad details and pre-season games.

I’m updating it as we go along but give me a prod if I miss anything.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

DFCAnth
Posts: 684
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:01 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Stockton-On-Tees

Re: New signings and outgoings

Post by DFCAnth » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:59 pm

Darlo_CR wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:15 pm
poppyfield wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:03 pm
Can someone summarise (I've been away) where we are at with players signed and how the team is looking please.
Goalkeepers:
Chris Elliott
Cameron Hall

Defenders:
Luke Trotman
Terry Galbraith
Michael Liddle
Louis Laing
Jonny Burn
Jordan Watson

Midfielders:
David Atkinson
Mitchell Glover
Joe Wheatley
Jarrett Rivers
Stephen Thompson

Forwards:
Simon Ainge
Jamie Holmes
Wilson Kneeshaw
I think we will be playing a 3/5 back line looking at the signings AA has made. He has mentioned he likes Galbraith, has signed ‘the best LB in the league’ in Liddle and I can’t see Watson agreeing to come and be second choice. A CB pairing of Watson and Galbraith will be unbalanced in my opinion. Guess at a line up with what we have:

GK Elliott

LWB Liddle
CB Watson
CB Galbraith
CB Laing / Ainge
RWB Trotman

CM Loanee?
CDM Atkinson
CM Wheatley

AM Thommo
AM Rivers
ST Campbell/Ainge?

Subs
Hall
Laing/ Ainge
Holmes

tdk1
Posts: 1966
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:21 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New signings and outgoings

Post by tdk1 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:16 pm

Watson strikes me as an odd signing, as I think he'll be second choice no matter what position he plays. He never looked like a centre back to me. I think (hope) Armstrong goes with the 4-3-3 he has played before, as the wide options we have up front seem well suited to it. So Watson will probably be second choice unless liddle is going into midfield or something.

Ghost_Of_1883
Posts: 463
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:33 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New signings and outgoings

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:27 pm

AA is firmly a 4-4-2 / 4-5-1 man (or 4-2-3-1 as others like to call it), I think he only rarely reverts to 5 at the back for specific matches from what he's said in interviews.

I think Darlo fans have had enough of 5 at the back in the last 2 seasons as we never looked any more solid (apart from when we had Heaton)

As For Watson, well at the end of the day, the squad will always contain more defenders than there are defensive places on the pitch, otherwise as soon as you had a suspension or injury there would be no cover.

I don't buy that Watson & Galbraith would be unbalanced in central defence - presumably you are basing that on them both being left footed? It's common to have two right footed placers in central defence, they don't always look unbalanced.

I reckon we will line up in a 4-5-1 like this...

-----------------------------Elliott------------------------------

Trotman--------Laing-------Galbraith/Watson------Liddle

-----------------Atkinson-----------Wheatley----------------
Rivers---------------------Thompson------------------Holmes

-------------------------Campbell/Ainge----------------------

Obviously a 4-4-2 would look similar with possibly Campbell and Ainge both playing as forwards, and one of the midfielders benched.

Of course Atkinson can also play right back or centre back as well as midfield, so I guess where he plays would depend on further signings, for example if we brought another 1/2 central midfielders in.
TAFKAQ

@1883Of

User avatar
Spyman
Posts: 11714
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:04 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New signings and outgoings

Post by Spyman » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:34 pm

DFCAnth wrote:
Darlo_CR wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:15 pm
poppyfield wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:03 pm
Can someone summarise (I've been away) where we are at with players signed and how the team is looking please.
Goalkeepers:
Chris Elliott
Cameron Hall

Defenders:
Luke Trotman
Terry Galbraith
Michael Liddle
Louis Laing
Jonny Burn
Jordan Watson

Midfielders:
David Atkinson
Mitchell Glover
Joe Wheatley
Jarrett Rivers
Stephen Thompson

Forwards:
Simon Ainge
Jamie Holmes
Wilson Kneeshaw
I think we will be playing a 3/5 back line looking at the signings AA has made. He has mentioned he likes Galbraith, has signed ‘the best LB in the league’ in Liddle and I can’t see Watson agreeing to come and be second choice. A CB pairing of Watson and Galbraith will be unbalanced in my opinion. Guess at a line up with what we have:

GK Elliott

LWB Liddle
CB Watson
CB Galbraith
CB Laing / Ainge
RWB Trotman

CM Loanee?
CDM Atkinson
CM Wheatley

AM Thommo
AM Rivers
ST Campbell/Ainge?

Subs
Hall
Laing/ Ainge
Holmes
Are you suggesting we play 12 men?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

User avatar
don'tbuythesun
Posts: 1555
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:24 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New signings and outgoings

Post by don'tbuythesun » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:38 pm

It's that new FA ruling where fan owned clubs are allowed to field an extra player. There'll be an outcry about that.

polarbear
Posts: 144
Joined: Fri May 11, 2012 10:13 am
Team Supported: spennymoor

Re: New signings and outgoings

Post by polarbear » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:22 pm

Chris Elliott. Reserve keeper at Spennymoor last season, don't think he played many games, if any

Darlogramps
Posts: 4588
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

New signings and outgoings

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:17 am

tdk1 wrote:Watson strikes me as an odd signing, as I think he'll be second choice no matter what position he plays. He never looked like a centre back to me. I think (hope) Armstrong goes with the 4-3-3 he has played before, as the wide options we have up front seem well suited to it. So Watson will probably be second choice unless liddle is going into midfield or something.
I don’t necessarily agree with you on Watson. If we presume Burn is leaving, that leaves us with 5 out-and-out defenders, plus Ainge (who I’m convinced AA will play up front in pre-season) and Atkinson. That’s a good amount to cover in defence.

As Ghost says, it only takes a couple of injuries or suspensions and you can start looking thin. Plus we’ll need to rotate in August as the fixture list is very concentrated in the first month.

So I suspect Watson will see plenty of game time.

TBH, I don’t think we’re a million miles away now. A couple of midfield reinforcements and possibly another forward after Campbell (Kneeshaw?) and we’re just about there.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

JE93
Posts: 1190
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:48 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New signings and outgoings

Post by JE93 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:06 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:17 am
tdk1 wrote:Watson strikes me as an odd signing, as I think he'll be second choice no matter what position he plays. He never looked like a centre back to me. I think (hope) Armstrong goes with the 4-3-3 he has played before, as the wide options we have up front seem well suited to it. So Watson will probably be second choice unless liddle is going into midfield or something.
I don’t necessarily agree with you on Watson. If we presume Burn is leaving, that leaves us with 5 out-and-out defenders, plus Ainge (who I’m convinced AA will play up front in pre-season) and Atkinson. That’s a good amount to cover in defence.

As Ghost says, it only takes a couple of injuries or suspensions and you can start looking thin. Plus we’ll need to rotate in August as the fixture list is very concentrated in the first month.

So I suspect Watson will see plenty of game time.

TBH, I don’t think we’re a million miles away now. A couple of midfield reinforcements and possibly another forward after Campbell (Kneeshaw?) and we’re just about there.
Think that's pretty bang on gramps. Think he will play similarly to what he had at Blyth. 4-2-3-1 with a fairly fluid and mobile front 4 he had Dale LW (okay he's slowing down a bit but still quality), Reid CAM, Rivers RW and Macguire CF. On that basis think we need about 3 players for the start of the season.
- A box to box CM
- a CAM
- a second CF

If you think about it in terms of position cover.
GK: Elliott, Hall
RB: Trotman, Atkinson
LB: Liddle, Watson, Galbraith
CB: Liang, Galbraith, Ainge
CM: Wheatley, Atkinson
RW: Rivers, Thompson, Holmes
LW: Rivers, Thompson, Holmes
CAM: -
CF: Campbell

An emergency winger or GK on loan I think youd be able to find quick easily in one of the NE academies once the season starts to cover off any injuries.

That would let us start the season as:

----------------------------------- Elliott ------------------------------
Trotman ----------- Liang ------- Galbraith ------- Liddle
--------------------- Atkinson ------ Wheatley -----------------
Rivers ---------------------- CAM ----------------- Thompson
------------------------------ Campbell ------------------------------

Subs: Hall, Ainge, Watson, CM, Holmes

DFCAnth
Posts: 684
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:01 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Stockton-On-Tees

Re: New signings and outgoings

Post by DFCAnth » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:25 am

Spyman wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:34 pm
DFCAnth wrote:
Darlo_CR wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:15 pm
poppyfield wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:03 pm
Can someone summarise (I've been away) where we are at with players signed and how the team is looking please.
Goalkeepers:
Chris Elliott
Cameron Hall

Defenders:
Luke Trotman
Terry Galbraith
Michael Liddle
Louis Laing
Jonny Burn
Jordan Watson

Midfielders:
David Atkinson
Mitchell Glover
Joe Wheatley
Jarrett Rivers
Stephen Thompson

Forwards:
Simon Ainge
Jamie Holmes
Wilson Kneeshaw
I think we will be playing a 3/5 back line looking at the signings AA has made. He has mentioned he likes Galbraith, has signed ‘the best LB in the league’ in Liddle and I can’t see Watson agreeing to come and be second choice. A CB pairing of Watson and Galbraith will be unbalanced in my opinion. Guess at a line up with what we have:

GK Elliott

LWB Liddle
CB Watson
CB Galbraith
CB Laing / Ainge
RWB Trotman

CM Loanee?
CDM Atkinson
CM Wheatley

AM Thommo
AM Rivers
ST Campbell/Ainge?

Subs
Hall
Laing/ Ainge
Holmes
Are you suggesting we play 12 men?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Well that went well :lol:

Ghost_Of_1883
Posts: 463
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:33 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New signings and outgoings

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:14 am

JE93 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:06 am
Darlogramps wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:17 am
tdk1 wrote:Watson strikes me as an odd signing, as I think he'll be second choice no matter what position he plays. He never looked like a centre back to me. I think (hope) Armstrong goes with the 4-3-3 he has played before, as the wide options we have up front seem well suited to it. So Watson will probably be second choice unless liddle is going into midfield or something.
I don’t necessarily agree with you on Watson. If we presume Burn is leaving, that leaves us with 5 out-and-out defenders, plus Ainge (who I’m convinced AA will play up front in pre-season) and Atkinson. That’s a good amount to cover in defence.

As Ghost says, it only takes a couple of injuries or suspensions and you can start looking thin. Plus we’ll need to rotate in August as the fixture list is very concentrated in the first month.

So I suspect Watson will see plenty of game time.

TBH, I don’t think we’re a million miles away now. A couple of midfield reinforcements and possibly another forward after Campbell (Kneeshaw?) and we’re just about there.
Think that's pretty bang on gramps. Think he will play similarly to what he had at Blyth. 4-2-3-1 with a fairly fluid and mobile front 4 he had Dale LW (okay he's slowing down a bit but still quality), Reid CAM, Rivers RW and Macguire CF. On that basis think we need about 3 players for the start of the season.
- A box to box CM
- a CAM
- a second CF

If you think about it in terms of position cover.
GK: Elliott, Hall
RB: Trotman, Atkinson
LB: Liddle, Watson, Galbraith
CB: Liang, Galbraith, Ainge
CM: Wheatley, Atkinson
RW: Rivers, Thompson, Holmes
LW: Rivers, Thompson, Holmes
CAM: -
CF: Campbell

An emergency winger or GK on loan I think youd be able to find quick easily in one of the NE academies once the season starts to cover off any injuries.

That would let us start the season as:

----------------------------------- Elliott ------------------------------
Trotman ----------- Liang ------- Galbraith ------- Liddle
--------------------- Atkinson ------ Wheatley -----------------
Rivers ---------------------- CAM ----------------- Thompson
------------------------------ Campbell ------------------------------

Subs: Hall, Ainge, Watson, CM, Holmes
Thompson is just as adept at CAM as he is on either wing - there's your CAM. Holmes I'm pretty sure is a LW, and I think was rotated with Dale at Blyth. It may well also be the case that Campbell is being signed as the CAM rather than the CF or as someone that can play either or, or on the wings.

Also both Watson and Atkinson can both play CD if need be.

And why haven't you got Ainge covering CF, that's why we signed him. Think AA may try and offload him though.
TAFKAQ

@1883Of

poppyfield
Posts: 1611
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:36 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New signings and outgoings

Post by poppyfield » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:38 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:54 pm
poppyfield wrote:Can someone summarise (I've been away) where we are at with players signed and how the team is looking please.
Hi Poppyfield, there’s a Stickied post at the top of the forum which has all the transfers, squad details and pre-season games.

I’m updating it as we go along but give me a prod if I miss anything.
Thanks Darlogramps much appreciated.
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

poppyfield
Posts: 1611
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:36 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New signings and outgoings

Post by poppyfield » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:40 am

Darlo_CR wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:15 pm
poppyfield wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:03 pm
Can someone summarise (I've been away) where we are at with players signed and how the team is looking please.
Goalkeepers:
Chris Elliott
Cameron Hall

Defenders:
Luke Trotman
Terry Galbraith
Michael Liddle
Louis Laing
Jonny Burn
Jordan Watson

Midfielders:
David Atkinson
Mitchell Glover
Joe Wheatley
Jarrett Rivers
Stephen Thompson

Forwards:
Simon Ainge
Jamie Holmes
Wilson Kneeshaw
Thanks Darlo CR much appreciated.
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

tdk1
Posts: 1966
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:21 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New signings and outgoings

Post by tdk1 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:55 am

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:14 am
JE93 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:06 am
Darlogramps wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:17 am
tdk1 wrote:Watson strikes me as an odd signing, as I think he'll be second choice no matter what position he plays. He never looked like a centre back to me. I think (hope) Armstrong goes with the 4-3-3 he has played before, as the wide options we have up front seem well suited to it. So Watson will probably be second choice unless liddle is going into midfield or something.
I don’t necessarily agree with you on Watson. If we presume Burn is leaving, that leaves us with 5 out-and-out defenders, plus Ainge (who I’m convinced AA will play up front in pre-season) and Atkinson. That’s a good amount to cover in defence.

As Ghost says, it only takes a couple of injuries or suspensions and you can start looking thin. Plus we’ll need to rotate in August as the fixture list is very concentrated in the first month.

So I suspect Watson will see plenty of game time.

TBH, I don’t think we’re a million miles away now. A couple of midfield reinforcements and possibly another forward after Campbell (Kneeshaw?) and we’re just about there.
Think that's pretty bang on gramps. Think he will play similarly to what he had at Blyth. 4-2-3-1 with a fairly fluid and mobile front 4 he had Dale LW (okay he's slowing down a bit but still quality), Reid CAM, Rivers RW and Macguire CF. On that basis think we need about 3 players for the start of the season.
- A box to box CM
- a CAM
- a second CF

If you think about it in terms of position cover.
GK: Elliott, Hall
RB: Trotman, Atkinson
LB: Liddle, Watson, Galbraith
CB: Liang, Galbraith, Ainge
CM: Wheatley, Atkinson
RW: Rivers, Thompson, Holmes
LW: Rivers, Thompson, Holmes
CAM: -
CF: Campbell

An emergency winger or GK on loan I think youd be able to find quick easily in one of the NE academies once the season starts to cover off any injuries.

That would let us start the season as:

----------------------------------- Elliott ------------------------------
Trotman ----------- Liang ------- Galbraith ------- Liddle
--------------------- Atkinson ------ Wheatley -----------------
Rivers ---------------------- CAM ----------------- Thompson
------------------------------ Campbell ------------------------------

Subs: Hall, Ainge, Watson, CM, Holmes
Thompson is just as adept at CAM as he is on either wing - there's your CAM. Holmes I'm pretty sure is a LW, and I think was rotated with Dale at Blyth. It may well also be the case that Campbell is being signed as the CAM rather than the CF or as someone that can play either or, or on the wings.

Also both Watson and Atkinson can both play CD if need be.

And why haven't you got Ainge covering CF, that's why we signed him. Think AA may try and offload him though.
I don't think he is. For me he's a lot more dangerous cutting in off the wing.

JE93
Posts: 1190
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:48 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New signings and outgoings

Post by JE93 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:52 am

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:14 am
JE93 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:06 am
Darlogramps wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:17 am
tdk1 wrote:Watson strikes me as an odd signing, as I think he'll be second choice no matter what position he plays. He never looked like a centre back to me. I think (hope) Armstrong goes with the 4-3-3 he has played before, as the wide options we have up front seem well suited to it. So Watson will probably be second choice unless liddle is going into midfield or something.
I don’t necessarily agree with you on Watson. If we presume Burn is leaving, that leaves us with 5 out-and-out defenders, plus Ainge (who I’m convinced AA will play up front in pre-season) and Atkinson. That’s a good amount to cover in defence.

As Ghost says, it only takes a couple of injuries or suspensions and you can start looking thin. Plus we’ll need to rotate in August as the fixture list is very concentrated in the first month.

So I suspect Watson will see plenty of game time.

TBH, I don’t think we’re a million miles away now. A couple of midfield reinforcements and possibly another forward after Campbell (Kneeshaw?) and we’re just about there.
Think that's pretty bang on gramps. Think he will play similarly to what he had at Blyth. 4-2-3-1 with a fairly fluid and mobile front 4 he had Dale LW (okay he's slowing down a bit but still quality), Reid CAM, Rivers RW and Macguire CF. On that basis think we need about 3 players for the start of the season.
- A box to box CM
- a CAM
- a second CF

If you think about it in terms of position cover.
GK: Elliott, Hall
RB: Trotman, Atkinson
LB: Liddle, Watson, Galbraith
CB: Liang, Galbraith, Ainge
CM: Wheatley, Atkinson
RW: Rivers, Thompson, Holmes
LW: Rivers, Thompson, Holmes
CAM: -
CF: Campbell

An emergency winger or GK on loan I think youd be able to find quick easily in one of the NE academies once the season starts to cover off any injuries.

That would let us start the season as:

----------------------------------- Elliott ------------------------------
Trotman ----------- Liang ------- Galbraith ------- Liddle
--------------------- Atkinson ------ Wheatley -----------------
Rivers ---------------------- CAM ----------------- Thompson
------------------------------ Campbell ------------------------------

Subs: Hall, Ainge, Watson, CM, Holmes
Thompson is just as adept at CAM as he is on either wing - there's your CAM. Holmes I'm pretty sure is a LW, and I think was rotated with Dale at Blyth. It may well also be the case that Campbell is being signed as the CAM rather than the CF or as someone that can play either or, or on the wings.

Also both Watson and Atkinson can both play CD if need be.

And why haven't you got Ainge covering CF, that's why we signed him. Think AA may try and offload him though.
Just my personal opinion, but I'd agree with TKD I think you waste Thompson playing him through the middle. His game is all about power over the first few yards to get himself enough space for a shot or cross. He wants to slow players down and square them up then power past them. Much easier to do that isolated 1 v 1 against a FB.

I think we need a proper CAM either in the Nicholson mould. Player who will drift around trying to find some space in between an opposition CM and CB to get the ball on the half turn and carry it forwards. Or we could have someone more out of the Syers mould. Where they're not about running with the ball but more physical, plays with his back to goal better, strong enough to hold off defenders and let the midfield and defence move up the pitch to support, but then gets into the box well and is good in the air to provide added threat.

I dont think Ainge is mobile enough to play upfront. Just doesnt have the legs to get about the pitch give defenses too much time. If we were search for a goal last 10 mins I might put him on and tell the wingers to pump the ball into the box but certainly not a starting CF for me. I would agree with you though. I'd offload if we can.

Watson and Atkinson both under 5'10 I'd sooner loan in a CB as cover if injuries hit than start either at CB in a 2 man CB pairing.

jjlewis1k89
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:40 pm

Re: New signings and outgoings

Post by jjlewis1k89 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:12 am

Do we still have Kneeshaw contracted?

I know his injury is going to keep him out till about Xmas time, not sure if we still pay him a wage or if he has insurance that covers his wages till he’s fit again, wouldn’t be too bad an option behind Campbel (if he signs) and Holmes.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

murtonquaker
Posts: 259
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:08 am
Team Supported: Mighty Darlo

Re: New signings and outgoings

Post by murtonquaker » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:13 pm

Whats happening with Omar Holness and the other fella who came in at the back end of last season...Are they under contract or being released.

I liked the look of Holness from what I seen

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk


User avatar
Spyman
Posts: 11714
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:04 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New signings and outgoings

Post by Spyman » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:21 pm

Holness is trying to find a full-time club before committing I think. Not sure on Bascombe but I'd assume the same.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

darlobaz791
Posts: 40
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:32 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New signings and outgoings

Post by darlobaz791 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:28 pm

Osagi Bascombe - the other fella - has been playing for Bermuda in the Gold Cup and was a star man in 2 of the three games. It’s a shame he’s not already signed up.

Omar Holness - wants a full time club I think but is around at the minute. I would be snapping him up if I was AA

murtonquaker
Posts: 259
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:08 am
Team Supported: Mighty Darlo

Re: New signings and outgoings

Post by murtonquaker » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:35 pm

Spyman wrote:Holness is trying to find a full-time club before committing I think. Not sure on Bascombe but I'd assume the same.
As much as I would like Holness, cant fault
the lad for wanting to play Full-Time...Although I hope he will commit to us if he doesn't find the FT position he is looking for

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk


LoidLucan
Posts: 2826
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:29 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New signings and outgoings

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:07 pm

It seems pretty obvious that AA wants to bring his own people in based on his own knowledge, judgement and experience rather than players who were brought in last season when we ended up drastically short of bodies. And they are North-east players which he feels is largely the way to go. Young Bascome probably still carries the mental scars of being a subbed sub for Darlo.

H1987
Posts: 1144
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:14 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New signings and outgoings

Post by H1987 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:22 pm

I liked Holness also, but it'll be for AA to decide. Maybe it's a possibility, and presumably AA will have been briefed on that if so. Bascombe? A bit meh. Holness showed a lot more, i think.

Kneeshaw, who knows. Maybe he is the 9th player that was talked about by AA and no one could figure out who it was. Not unhappy if that is the case, i think he's got what it takes at this level, and potentially above.

I'm struggling to get excited about Adam Campbell though. His goals record is terrible, and not only that, fans of most of his old clubs don't have a lot of good to say about him... This is a much lower level of course, but still...

onewayup
Posts: 1632
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:02 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New signings and outgoings

Post by onewayup » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:27 pm

Isn't preseason all about testing unknowns, I think AA will look at these lads you mentioned and make a decision on what he sees , you don't throw them out without checking the caliber of the players left by previous incumbent. He AA knows what he's doing he's not novice..

quakersfan
Posts: 229
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:26 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New signings and outgoings

Post by quakersfan » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:05 pm

Ainge going out on loan apparently. Disappointed really always thought he would come good.

Post Reply