Chris Elliott

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

H1987
Team Supported: Darlington

Chris Elliott

Post by H1987 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:38 pm

Signed, according to the Echo.

Backup goalkeeper everywhere he's been, as far as I can see. Wonder if we'll go for him, and he'll compete with a loan keeper from Boro as was the rumour. Hemming again, perhaps?

quakerman

Re: Chris Elliott

Post by quakerman » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:09 pm

H1987 wrote:Signed, according to the Echo.

Backup goalkeeper everywhere he's been, as far as I can see. Wonder if we'll go for him, and he'll compete with a loan keeper from Boro as was the rumour. Hemming again, perhaps?
He will be first choice according to AA. Saw a couple of videos of Alfreton and he looked a good keeper, very vocal and good distribution.Looks a very decent signing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:11 pm

The Echo article quotes Armstrong saying that "He will be first choice and that was a big selling point for him". It seems pretty clear to me. I would expect the Academy prospect Cameron Hall to be on bench duty with a view to bringing a 'keeper in on loan in the event of injury or suspension.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:23 pm

He played 39 games for Alfreton so must have been first choice there for a season at least.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

H1987

Post by H1987 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:19 pm

I must be looking at the wrong stats websites, most didn't seem to have anything for Alfreton.

I see the Echo have added to the story. Apologies, when i originally read the article it only contained a paragraph - must've just been put up when i saw it.

Interesting. I recall nothing about him, so we will see, but 26 is still relatively young for a keeper.

Darlogramps

Chris Elliott

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:56 pm

quakerman wrote:

He will be first choice according to AA. Saw a couple of videos of Alfreton and he looked a good keeper, very vocal and good distribution.Looks a very decent signing.

And you’re basing that solely on a couple of videos, are you?
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:09 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
quakerman wrote:

And you’re basing that solely on a couple of videos, are you?
Yes, based on a few videos, but obviously need to see him in action over a number of games Grampsy.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Darlogramps

Chris Elliott

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:34 pm

So you’re declaring he looks a decent signing off the basis of a couple of YouTube videos, despite having never seen him before. Can’t say that makes sense to be honest.

He did spent the majority of last season picking splinters out of his backside on Evenwood’s bench, so, as a radical thought, let’s see him in action before declaring him a pretty decent signing.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:14 pm

Darlogramps wrote:So you’re declaring he looks a decent signing off the basis of a couple of YouTube videos, despite having never seen him before. Can’t say that makes sense to be honest.

He did spent the majority of last season picking splinters out of his backside on Evenwood’s bench, so, as a radical thought, let’s see him in action before declaring him a pretty decent signing.
Yet again got to agree Gramps, think I was jumping the gun there based on 3 videos.My glass is too half full at times.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:03 pm

Of course, Spendy had some decent players warming their bench last season, such are the vibes about the place.

Personally I'm pleased we've got someone who knows the level and hope he can establish himself.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

bga

Post by bga » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:23 pm

H1987 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:38 pm
Signed, according to the Echo.

Strange that is still nothing official on the Club website but I guess the Echo knows best!

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:26 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:So you’re declaring he looks a decent signing off the basis of a couple of YouTube videos, despite having never seen him before. Can’t say that makes sense to be honest.

Yet again got to agree Gramps, think I was jumping the gun there based on 3 videos.My glass is too half full at times.

Excellent, lesson learnt.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:38 pm

He played 39 times for Alfreton in 17/18 - alas I have no videos to judge him on but that's a good amount of matches. Oh and an Alfreton fan I asked reckons he's a good keeper.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:54 pm

It's currently pre season, so I choose to believe he is the second coming of Gordon Banks.

divas

Post by divas » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:15 pm

Can’t see us being any better on crosses this season sadly.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:20 am

Well aged 26 his best years should be ahead of him. Checked his height out which is 1.71 mtrs, which equates to 5' 7"!! Now for me that is pretty small to be a keeper, no wonder he struggles with crosses.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:39 am

Surely that can't be right. 5'7" is small for any position, let alone a goalkeeper.

DC

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:22 am

Don't know where you got this from Pete. It's hard to find his stats but fifa index has him at 6 foot. Maybe you could nip along to a training session with a tape measure and reassure us?

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:36 am

No wonder AA isn't a great fan of social media :roll:

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:44 am

Spyman wrote:Surely that can't be right. 5'7" is small for any position, let alone a goalkeeper.
Looking on some videos of him and no way is he 5'7" unless the centre backs are the same height.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:15 am

Maybe he plays in heels?

DC

H1987

Post by H1987 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:39 am

It would seem he played against us twice in 2017/18.

Here - in a 4-1 defeat at BM. Featuring a mysterious James Caton goal. Not much he could do about the goals in this one, and a decent save late on... but then a bad fumble he got away with also just before half time (albeit in very wet conditions) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdaXGh-Z-FE

Second game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdaXGh-Z-FE Not much could be done about the Styche goal here either.

Alfreton conceded a hefty 71 goals that season. I have no idea how much he is or isn't to blame for that, of course. He does also, based on that footage, look quite short to me.

As an aside - James Talbot - sent off in the latter game, recently was called up to the full Ireland squad. He now plays for Bohemians. https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/48411384

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:39 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:20 am
Well aged 26 his best years should be ahead of him. Checked his height out which is 1.71 mtrs, which equates to 5' 7"!! Now for me that is pretty small to be a keeper, no wonder he struggles with crosses.
Of course he isn’t 5’7. A lot of websites record that data as default as they simply don’t have the correct information.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:24 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:39 am
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:20 am
Of course he isn’t 5’7. A lot of websites record that data as default as they simply don’t have the correct information.
Ok well sorry I was only quoting a website, I had no reason to doubt what it said. Don't shoot the messenger.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:28 pm

Tbh - some of the websites out there just don't keep track of our level. I couldn't find any record of his Alfreton appearances at first either.

I do think he looks on the short side for a goalkeeper. But i'd say around just under 6 ft, if i was going to guess. I think Shay Given was 6ft on the dot wasn't he? Which is entirely average for a normal person, but was considered very short for a goalkeeper.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:52 pm

Andy Collett was small for a keeper as well, but remains the best keeper I've seen in a Darlo shirt.

DC

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:07 pm

Fred Barber was the best keeper I think I've seen at Quakers and he wasn't a big fella. The better Darlo teams have always had a strong goalie and if this one turns out well we could do something. Five feet seven can't be right though, the only really short keeper I can remember is Phil Owers who had to cope behind a terrible Darlington team in the early seventies which let in 12 goals in two games with Owers keeping quite a few out. He really got the short straw that season anyone know how he's doing now?

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:09 pm

Fred Barber and Mark Prudhoe are the best I’ve seen. Neither were particularly tall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H1987

Post by H1987 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:47 pm

Wiseacre wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:07 pm
Fred Barber was the best keeper I think I've seen at Quakers and he wasn't a big fella. The better Darlo teams have always had a strong goalie and if this one turns out well we could do something. Five feet seven can't be right though, the only really short keeper I can remember is Phil Owers who had to cope behind a terrible Darlington team in the early seventies which let in 12 goals in two games with Owers keeping quite a few out. He really got the short straw that season anyone know how he's doing now?
Drawing his pension I would imagine... ;)

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:03 pm

No doubt about it, whoever pulls the jersey on is following in the footsteps of some class keepers from Tony Moor, Fred Barber, Alan Ogley, Mark Prudoe Andy Collett through to Jordan Pickford and Pears junior. Welcome to the club!