New signings and outgoings

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

H1987
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New signings and outgoings

Post by H1987 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:23 pm

What's the source? Weird one.

I hope it is not, as i suspect, that we are paying him more than anyone else would, and we will be making up part of his wages...

Beano

Post by Beano » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:36 pm

quakersfan wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:05 pm
Ainge going out on loan apparently. Disappointed really always thought he would come good.
Where?

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:44 pm

What a let down Ainge was/is. Didn’t cut it upfront- on occasions, didn’t seem to want to play at the back.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:01 pm

Better than being stuck with his whole wage though.

If the amount saved brings in a better/more effective player then there's no NET loss at least.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:02 pm

Anyone who saw his performance at Guiseley will not be disappointed.

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:17 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:02 pm
Correct, was awful.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:26 pm

Where does Ainge come from, might want somewhere closer to home?

ex-exile

Post by ex-exile » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:46 pm

Ainge Signed on too much money around £700 a week and he is not worth that. Better on loan somewhere after his displays towards the end of last season,when he did not look bothered.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:03 pm

MCFCDarlo3 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:17 pm
Vodka_Vic wrote:
Correct, was awful.

“ I will pick the ball up, then I will kick it as hard and high as I can, although I’ve been told not to “
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Darlo_CR

Post by Darlo_CR » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:16 pm

Apparently he's off to Boston.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:18 pm

Darlo_CR wrote:Apparently he's off to Boston.
Did not expect that.Any news on Burn and Glover?

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:16 pm

Holness is training with us and AA will take a look at him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darlo_CR

Post by Darlo_CR » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:36 pm

Burn has had trial offers from a Northern Premier League club and two Northern League clubs, I'm not sure about Glover.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:42 am

I see that page on Twitter has linked him with Boston.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:22 am

A massive overhaul has taken place, I suppose the good news is that most of our new players know each other and the manager from previous efforts.

Personally, I never really gelled with a lot of the players who played last season - so I'm not bothered that they've left, and as for the multitude of loans that came in near the end of the season, they were always only just making up the numbers/papering over the cracks.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:53 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:A massive overhaul has taken place, I suppose the good news is that most of our new players know each other and the manager from previous efforts.

Personally, I never really gelled with a lot of the players who played last season - so I'm not bothered that they've left, and as for the multitude of loans that came in near the end of the season, they were always only just making up the numbers/papering over the cracks.
AA has got it spot on IMO the way he is handling our recruitment and trimming down most of the squad from last season.We were pretty much a shambles under Tommy and a lack of team spirit stood out with players locating from all over the place.We were wanting more good local lads in the team and AA has wasted no time in addressing this.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:41 am

The more I look back on last season the more surprising it was that we didn't go down. Nelson's vital goals and a few other good loanees later on (including a competent keeper) just about made the difference, coupled with the deep ineptitude of the three teams that went down.

When you factor in signing a poor keeper to start the season, a centre midfielder who couldn't play there, a centre forward who couldn't play there, a central defender who wasn't up to it, an injury-prone central defender who had a bust-up and we paid off after a few months, a failed winger who we largely paid to play for other teams on loan after a bust-up, another winger who did nothing on the very few occasions he was used, a wonderkid who we were told would be breaking through but never got near AND losing a goalscoring centre forward and an experienced attacking midfielder.... just how did we survive that huge number of self-inflicted and forced calamities and come out the other end in the same league?
Last edited by LoidLucan on Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:51 am

Could not agree more Lucan ,another 6 games and we would have been in deep trouble.If we had kept Tommy on ,how many of the old squad would still be here.Most of them I reckon, that's how clueless he was, we are in a far better place now thank god.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:14 am

Trotman will be first choice right back, and Holness is in training with us so AA can have a look at him. Good stuff.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:13 am

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:51 am
Could not agree more Lucan ,another 6 games and we would have been in deep trouble.If we had kept Tommy on ,how many of the old squad would still be here.Most of them I reckon, that's how clueless he was, we are in a far better place now thank god.

ermmm...didn't we finish 15 points above the relegation zone. Ashton & FCUM could barely pick up a point. I agree with Lucan that we were fortunate that the bottom 3 were that bad, but not sure I agree with the logic of another 6 games

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:29 am

LoidLucan wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:41 am
The more I look back on last season the more surprising it was that we didn't go down. Nelson's vital goals and a few other good loanees later on (including a competent keeper) just about made the difference, coupled with the deep ineptitude of the three teams that went down.

When you factor in signing a poor keeper to start the season, a centre midfielder who couldn't play there, a centre forward who couldn't play there, a central defender who wasn't up to it, an injury-prone central defender who had a bust-up and we paid off after a few months, a failed winger who we largely paid to play for other teams on loan after a bust-up, another winger who did nothing on the very few occasions he was used, a wonderkid who we were told would be breaking through but never got near AND losing a goalscoring centre forward and an experienced attacking midfielder.... just how did we survive that huge number of self-inflicted and forced calamities and come out the other end in the same league?
Of course, Collins and Caton were not really Wright's fault.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:50 am

At least players getting to know each other should not be a problem in pre-season training. Would not want to see many more of last season's squad leaving now, although if Ainge cannot realise he is no longer a star centre forward and drop his wages, then he should leave the club. AA has been imposing his influence and obviously the lads who have followed him down from Blyth have faith in him. I think he has done a good job so far, but let's see how the lads perform on the pitch.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:05 pm

I didn't mean that all the issues which blighted us were just down to TW, hence a couple of the calamities being "forced" on him. Nevertheless a season of struggle did largely flow from his judgements in the summer recruitment.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:36 pm

Lets not pretend it was just the recruitment - it was also lack of a clear system. I wish TW well, but i have much more confidence in AA in terms of him implementing a style of play, and recruiting appropriate players for the task. While his recruitment was cause of many of our woes last year, it stemmed from illogical recruitment, like chucking so much money at Ainge when we already had Styche last summer. Signing Hughes for a position he was clearly too unfit to play compounded it all.

I'd be very happy if we gave Holness another go. He's in great condition, and is a big, physical unit. Something we could do with. I think from Holness's perspective, he probably didn't do enough last year to earn a move higher up the divisions here yet, so it would suit both parties if we get him in with an agreement he could move on if an offer came from a club higher up the pyramid (and in his defence, he only had seven games - it's hard to make a big impression in such time). I'd be very happy if we have Holness, Atkinson and Wheatley as our options in the middle of the park this year.

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:38 pm

MCFCDarlo3 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:17 pm
Vodka_Vic wrote:
Correct, was awful.
or Fc united away when he moaned constantly to team mates and never ran until second half

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:51 pm

H1987 wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:36 pm

I'd be very happy if we gave Holness another go. He's in great condition, and is a big, physical unit. Something we could do with. I think from Holness's perspective, he probably didn't do enough last year to earn a move higher up the divisions here yet, so it would suit both parties if we get him in with an agreement he could move on if an offer came from a club higher up the pyramid (and in his defence, he only had seven games - it's hard to make a big impression in such time). I'd be very happy if we have Holness, Atkinson and Wheatley as our options in the middle of the park this year.
Same can probably be applied to Bascombe, who came in at the end of the season and made a few cameo appearances. Very hard to find any kind of form in those circumstances - he could well be a different player given a full pre-season with the squad. Of course, he could equally not.

Hopefully both of them get a chance to show Armstrong what they're capable of in pre-season and it works out well for all. I can't imagine we'd stand in anyone's way, contracted or not, of moving up the pyramid if the opportunity came along at any point.

DC

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:22 pm

Bascome was starman for Bermuda a couple of weeks ago ,so he's definitely got something going for him, I would certainly give him a chance to show what he can do with full preseason behind him.also think Omar holness would be a decent signing. However it's down to the manager at the end of the day.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:07 pm

onewayup wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:22 pm
Bascome was starman for Bermuda a couple of weeks ago ,so he's definitely got something going for him, I would certainly give him a chance to show what he can do with full preseason behind him.also think Omar holness would be a decent signing. However it's down to the manager at the end of the day.
Spot on, hope the pair of them at least get a preseason runout. Similarly would like to see Kneeshaw get another chance once he gets over his injury.

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:01 pm

Nicholson has ended up at Hereford, they will be worth a punt for a top 7 finish.
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:07 am

Agree, Hereford and York have made some fantastic signings, experienced, solid tried and tested players and would not be surprised if they were not battling each other for the champions.
As usual, money, with the odd exception wins most leagues and we don’t have any unfortunately!