Simon Ainge

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlo_CR
Team Supported: Darlington

Simon Ainge

Post by Darlo_CR » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:13 pm

Confirmed he's joined Boston on a season long loan.

Ghost_Of_1883

Re: Simon Ainge

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:21 pm

Personally I think it's a shame although I know a lot of people disagree with me.

The fact that it's a loan makes me think that we're covering part of his wages, otherwise we would have just let Boston sign him permanent for free and they could agree wages with him.

Still if it paves the way to sign Richard Brodie then it's all good. ;)

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:26 pm

Boston calling him a defender, although saying he is a physical presence in both boxes. Looks like Ainge was keen to get out as Boston boss said: "He has shown a lot of determination and hunger to make this deal happen and I am very much looking forward to working with him."

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:29 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:26 pm
Boston calling him a defender, although saying he is a physical presence in both boxes. Looks like Ainge was keen to get out as Boston boss said: "He has shown a lot of determination and hunger to make this deal happen and I am very much looking forward to working with him."
I wonder if he is still on top dollar striker money though, with Boston paying him the central defender going rate and us topping up the rest?

bga

Post by bga » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:31 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:26 pm
I have seen enough players in the 55 years I have supported Darlo to form an opinion that he wasn't interested in the Club, based on the half dozen games I saw him play. Guisley was embarrassing if he calls himself a semi-pro.

jjlewis1k89

Post by jjlewis1k89 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:33 pm

Hopefully freed up some space to bring in someone who wants to play for the club

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:39 pm

I hope this doesn't tempt fate but a Harrogate fan wrote this when TW bought him: "Gone to Darlington for a fee.
Was great for us until his injury last season. When he came back it was obvious he wasn't the same player and spent most of the time on the bench. Went on loan to Wrexham and didn't get a game there. I think we got the best of him and got rid at the right time, don't think he is the same player now."

Now I've gone and done it... Cue the return of the old goals galore Ainge ;)

Maybe TW just didn't take full account of how much the very serious injury had taken out of Ainge's fitness and sharpness when he invested so much in the signing.

bga

Post by bga » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:58 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:39 pm
I hope this doesn't tempt fate but a Harrogate fan wrote this when TW bought him: "Gone to Darlington for a fee.
Was great for us until his injury last season. When he came back it was obvious he wasn't the same player and spent most of the time on the bench. Went on loan to Wrexham and didn't get a game there. I think we got the best of him and got rid at the right time, don't think he is the same player now."

Maybe TW just didn't take full account of how much the very serious injury had taken out of Ainge's fitness and sharpness when he invested so much in the signing.
He would need some serious Boot Camp before any of that were likely!

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:14 pm

I’m not sorry he’s gone tbh. The Guiseley performance was the last straw. Shame we couldn’t get rid permanently but a loan is the next best thing. Burn next out hopefully...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

divas

Post by divas » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:22 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:39 pm

Boston manager saying he’s been signed as a defender so I doubt it’s likely he’s going to plunder a hat full. Sadly the injury he picked up looked to have a permanent impact and when added to the other he picked up earlier in his career has rendered him almost immobile despite fitness levels

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:30 pm

At least he didn't create a stink :o like that other striker Jon Parkin did after his P45 dropped!

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:38 pm

I feel pleased for him - before he lost interest he was alright for Quakers and I think Boston might do something this season. York Street is a great day out and it's their last season there so I think it'll be a cracker this time.

en passant

Post by en passant » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:05 pm

I was unconvinced by Ainge for most of last season. He didn't look that bothered from the off, and injury or not I think he was not with the team ethos. When he was occasionally interviewed he was never very animated and seemed almost bored. He never seemed to interact with other members of the team and gave a passable impression of someone who had been kidnapped and held against his will. Injuries or no injuries I never got the impression that he was there for the team but only, and somewhat begrudgingly, for the money. Not disappointed to see him go.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:28 am

;) Some competition for the Boston Stump, both of them tall, heavy and immobile

H1987

Post by H1987 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:18 am

Not bothered, but slightly disappointed the implication of this move being that we are still paying some of his wages.

Burn next. I suspect we will end up with the same, no one is going to cover what we are paying him.

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:27 am

Well done AW in off loading the lump who was not a team player, had no interest in Darlington Fc, the fans or the community. Sorry we are still paying part of his salary despite he knows we are a fan owned club where his money comes from raffles, 50/50 draws and volunteer pockets but doesn't give a s**** sums up the worst part of modern footballers.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:42 am

We just made a big mistake in handing out a long, lucrative contract to someone who had had a very serious injury and was not the striker he used to be. Maybe there were clear signs of that in that he couldn't get back into the Harrogate team, failed in a loan spell and wasn't as fit or in the same condition that he used to be. We just missed the warning signs. I thought in the main he was an OK central defender, particularly in the air, but that was it.
Last edited by LoidLucan on Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:56 am

I don't agree with personally attacking him, tbh. The guy is entitled to the money we promised him in a contract. The guys at this level aren't rich. They have livelihoods, and probably less job security than a lot of others. I don't know if Ainge has another job on the side, but football is a short career. He's hardly Winston Bogarde.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:34 am

H1987 wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:56 am
I don't agree with personally attacking him, tbh. The guy is entitled to the money we promised him in a contract. The guys at this level aren't rich. They have livelihoods, and probably less job security than a lot of others. I don't know if Ainge has another job on the side, but football is a short career. He's hardly Winston Bogarde.
It's also pure speculation regarding what he's earning and how much/if any is being paid by us.

Time to move on, Armstrong obviously feels that whatever we're saving on Ainge can be better spent elsewhere.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

bga

Post by bga » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:41 am

H1987 wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:56 am
And fans are "entitled to expect a player to actually work hard as a team player and earn his money whatever the amount." Simple fact is he didn't.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:49 am

bga wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:41 am
[quote=H1987 post_id=448180 time=<a href="tel:1562144166">1562144166</a> user_id=17695]
And fans are "entitled to expect a player to actually work hard as a team player and earn his money whatever the amount." Simple fact is he didn't.
[/quote]

Ainge was a let down. If we’d had a money back guarantee on him, surely we would have taken it.

I reckon T.W. was too soft on him, all this talk of Ainge being our “talisman” was utter nonsense - perhaps he needed Wright to have a strong word with him, instead of buttering him up all the time.

I’m glad he’s gone, you could tell his heart wasn’t in it.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

H1987

Post by H1987 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:02 am

I don't disagree with anyones assessment of him as a player - but the guy isn't loaded. We gave him a two year contract, and can't expect him to give up money he signed a contract for. Remember the level we are at.

It seems a pretty reasonable conclusion that we are still paying him something. Why else would we loan him out for a season, when his contract is up next year? You'd just release him. Boston won't have matched his wages, which is why he's on loan. It's the only explanation that makes any sense.

Darlo_CR

Post by Darlo_CR » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:10 am

Just watching some of last seasons 'highlights' and I was reminded of his miss against Hereford: https://youtu.be/NZgu1mdMTi8?t=703
I'm still not sure how he missed that but it appears that it's not his worst ever miss.. https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/footb ... Town-video

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:49 am

Darlo_CR wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:10 am
I'm still not sure how he missed that but it appears that it's not his worst ever miss.. https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/footb ... Town-video
Easier to score etc etc