Motherwell game

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

al_quaker
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Motherwell game

Post by al_quaker » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:21 pm

Reasonably impressed with that. Looked much fitter than this time last season, and all the new signings showed some positive signs. I was particularly impressed with Hatfield. Biggest improvement was that we looked like we had a bit of a shape and a way of playing when we did go forwards. Obviously very early days but encouraging signs I thought today

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:23 pm

quakerste wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:10 pm
What was the attendance?
871 I think.

QuakerRCS
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by QuakerRCS » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:30 pm

Looked really good for our first pre-season I thought. Hatfield looked solid. Tommo must be happy - both with his performance and Campbell’s size 😂. Scoreline didn’t really reflect the overall game - but given this was their final friendly and our first, excited for the season.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:38 pm

Laing is the player I picked as my Motm, but some very good performances from Atkinson Holness and we need to sign Hatfield, great start.

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:41 pm

Thought some of our players looked so much better that this time last year, fitter, shape and looked like they will all give 100%.
Atkinson looks a class above, thought Laing did well and his distribution was very good. Keeper looked the part and Hatfield also had a very good game. Good signs with Galbraith, Liddle and Wheatley to come back in too.
Not knocking him as he was up against 2 quick physical defenders but based on this game, really think we need a centre forward who can battle against what in most cases are 2 solid centre half’s! Didn’t realise Campbell was so small! Jury’s out on Holness for me, no doubting his effort but never Seams to get hold of the ball, same last year for me.
Good signs overall, just worried up front!

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:50 pm

Very happy with what I saw today apart from one player who and I don't know if there is a problem looked a couple of yards slower than the rest and looked lazy losing the ball and not chasing back ,even when he had best chance of winning it. Hopefully this is not his usual game , I,m speaking of Jamie Holmes. Not impressed with him on today's showing.

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by grimsbyquaker » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:57 pm

Me and Quakerman had a good chat with AA after the match. To summarise:
Hatfield is a key signing (a ‘nasty t**t’ that he was missing at Blyth). Work to be done with Campbell after his years as a winger in the FL. Pace and movement cause chaos in this league. Big forwards are now hard to find/expensive as in recent years the trend has been for clubs to sign/develop small, mobile forwards. He said ‘hopefully from today you can see what we’re trying to do’...you could. Proper solid back four (with Tez and Liddle to come back as first choice), mobile and combative midfield and the front 3-1 Looking promising. Possible loan forward from Boro youth team still to come.
Budget tight but will increase if crowds rise, which they hopefully will based on today’s showing.
I’m encouraged. We look harder to beat, fit and well drilled

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:06 pm

Has Hatfield signed?

darlobaz791

Post by darlobaz791 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:12 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:06 pm
Has Hatfield signed?
Yes

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:14 pm

darlobaz791 wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:12 pm
Darlofan97 wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:06 pm
Has Hatfield signed?
Yes
Excellent news.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:23 pm

The Boro youth might be Tyrone O'Neill. Loaned to pools for a month last season, played in 5 games scoring once.

Did he make any comment on the trialists and if they were staying? (Mainly concerning Holness and Hatfield)

Edit - good news about Hatfield. Holness?

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:37 pm

Pretty much agree with what has been said, much better than last season, more shape, movement and better fitness levels.Considering this was our first game, we certainly have them a far closer game than last year and our defence and midfield were streets better than last season and have 2 key players to come back.Not worried at all regarding Campbell,AA will work on him over the next month and get him more acquainted to reverting back to being a CF, he still looks sharp and tricky and will be a good signing.Laing looks a very solid CH, very impressed and Burn certainly did not let the team down when he came on.
As Grimsby Quaker said, will be surprised if there are not further additions to the squad before the Farsley game.Do like Hatfield though, about time we had a blast bigger in midfield
Up the Quakers

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:39 pm

Blast bigger? Meant nasty bugger.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:46 pm

onewayup wrote:Very happy with what I saw today apart from one player who and I don't know if there is a problem looked a couple of yards slower than the rest and looked lazy losing the ball and not chasing back ,even when he had best chance of winning it. Hopefully this is not his usual game , I,m speaking of Jamie Holmes. Not impressed with him on today's showing.
Was almost about to congratulate you on keeping his name to yourself despite your concerns, but well done on getting in getting in with your whipping boy for the season.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

The Golden Hairclip

Post by The Golden Hairclip » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:51 pm

Spyman wrote:
onewayup wrote:Very happy with what I saw today apart from one player who and I don't know if there is a problem looked a couple of yards slower than the rest and looked lazy losing the ball and not chasing back ,even when he had best chance of winning it. Hopefully this is not his usual game , I,m speaking of Jamie Holmes. Not impressed with him on today's showing.
Was almost about to congratulate you on keeping his name to yourself despite your concerns, but well done on getting in getting in with your whipping boy for the season.

I was really impressed with Jamie Holmes today. Just goes to show that football is a game of opinions! Looks very mobile, tricky, good dribbler and a lot stronger than he looks in his (Blyth) team photo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:58 pm

onewayup wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:50 pm
Very happy with what I saw today apart from one player who and I don't know if there is a problem looked a couple of yards slower than the rest and looked lazy losing the ball and not chasing back ,even when he had best chance of winning it. Hopefully this is not his usual game , I,m speaking of Jamie Holmes. Not impressed with him on today's showing.
Must have been two Jamie Holmes on the pitch today then because the one I saw did OK

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:03 pm

I thought he looked quite tricky and got stuck in a few times when tracking back.

50 years

Post by 50 years » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:20 pm

I thought he played well too, but tired in second half so struggled to track back but first game and won't have been only one tired. Happy with whole team including the accademy lads to be honest.

Up the Qiakers

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:33 pm

It's extremely early days of course but I'm sure I'm not the only one who gets the strong impression that AA knows exactly what he's doing and is a man with a clear plan even when he has to juggle things on a tight budget.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:39 pm

Yes, I feel like that too. I am very happy with our progress and signings. The height thing is a minor concern, but I don't feel like we're going to get bullied.

Hatfield sounds like my kind of player.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:44 pm

grimsbyquaker wrote:I'd sign Hatfield tomorrow. In fact I’d not let him out of the car park tonight until the ink’s dry
No brainer mate

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:03 pm

LoidLucan wrote:It's extremely early days of course but I'm sure I'm not the only one who gets the strong impression that AA knows exactly what he's doing and is a man with a clear plan even when he has to juggle things on a tight budget.
Spoke to AA after the game and he certainly came across well and is no mug.Totally agree Lucan, could not have made a better appointment On another note was that Darren Hollaway at the game today, Grimsby Quaker thought it was, and good to see Alan White in the dugout also.Hope he has landed the academy job.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:06 pm

Not a whipping boy at all I just thought he wasn't with it today. Only an opinion. AA obviously knows the lad better and I trust his judgement. :D

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:13 pm

Thoughts on today's game.

Elliott - Done ok, seemed quite vocal. His poor kick caused a corner that led ot the first goal. His handling on shots was quite decent, kept hold of a few.
Trotman - Carried on as he played last season, him and Rivers with Thompson linked up a bit.
Watson - Steady away game, nothing great but no issues either. Reckon he is probably a 6 out of 10 most weeks.
Hatfield - Glad he has signed, good on the ball and always open to receiving it. Chases, harries and not afraid to put a foot in.
Laing - Probably man of the match, I was expecting something different after reading what the Hartlepool fans stated. He was comfortable bringing the ball out from the back, which will need with no big man up top.
Atkinson - Very steady, gets the ball, protects it and moves it on. Filled in at CB and defensive midfield.
Rivers - Showed more willingness to tackle than Henshall did all season. Tough game against a good team but he certainly put the effort in.
Holness - Played his normal game, could be a good squad signing.
Campbell - Played some nice passes with Thompson and wingers. Had little opportunity to attack, once chance in first half but he didn't see the ball played in or his speed would have got him in.
Thompson - Played really well, that was him at his best and interested. Was captain and played in behind Campbell.
Holmes - Showed a few bits that suggest he will cause a few issues for teams if we can open it up and get him the ball.

Hatfield has signed which is great news, we are still a bit light but add Wheatley, Galbraith and Liddle in then that's not a bad 14.

Early days but it was an optimistic opener, however the set piece issue is still a challenge and do we have enough goals in the team.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:25 pm

Decent assessment Les but don't forget the quality of the opposition who were very fit and more physical.We will get better and considering this is virtually a brand new team then that was very satisfying especially at the back and midfield.AA will be working on our play in the final third over the next 4 weeks so let's see where we are then.

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:26 pm

Yep super les that was more or less my view on the players , enjoyed the game as well we matched them at times and were on top for 10/15 minuets in the first half. Feeling more positive for this season now, yea if Campbell had looked left instead of right when the ball was chipped over for him he was in.
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:44 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:25 pm
Decent assessment Les but don't forget the quality of the opposition who were very fit and more physical.We will get better and considering this is virtually a brand new team then that was very satisfying especially at the back and midfield.AA will be working on our play in the final third over the next 4 weeks so let's see where we are then.

I took the opposition into account, they are well ahead of pre-season and probably the level of a decent Lge2 team. They were bigger and more physical than us but we done quite well without really causing them any issues.

I could probably pick the starting line up for first game now I think as you can see what Armstrong is doing/wants, this is a good thing as last season I just never had any idea what Wright would do.

Hopefully we can get a few more bodies in and we should be ok for the season. Liked Armstrong's interview as well, seemed to have toned down the geordie accent now he is at Darlo rather than Blyth :lol:

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:07 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:03 pm
LoidLucan wrote:It's extremely early days of course but I'm sure I'm not the only one who gets the strong impression that AA knows exactly what he's doing and is a man with a clear plan even when he has to juggle things on a tight budget.
Spoke to AA after the game and he certainly came across well and is no mug.Totally agree Lucan, could not have made a better appointment On another note was that Darren Hollaway at the game today, Grimsby Quaker thought it was, and good to see Alan White in the dugout also.Hope he has landed the academy job.

Didn’t see Darren Holloway. I noticed that Jim Provett was/is our GK Coach.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:53 pm

Just watched the excellent as always highlights. Hard to judge from that but looked like we started brightly and then faded, Motherwell took control. To be expected really.

Rivers looked bright early on.

Thought Elliott should have done better with the second - looked like it went through his hands. Is he right or left footed as that may explain the misskick for the first.

Defensively we looked fairly solid, probably down to three of the four having player together at Blyth.

I liked the look of baldie in midfield. Campbell looks technically good, I really hope Armstrong can bring the best out of him.

Who was the tiny (oriental?) lad that played second half, no squad number?

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:00 pm

Spyman wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:53 pm
Just watched the excellent as always highlights. Hard to judge from that but looked like we started brightly and then faded, Motherwell took control. To be expected really.

Rivers looked bright early on.

Thought Elliott should have done better with the second - looked like it went through his hands. Is he right or left footed as that may explain the misskick for the first.

Defensively we looked fairly solid, probably down to three of the four having player together at Blyth.

I liked the look of baldie in midfield. Campbell looks technically good, I really hope Armstrong can bring the best out of him.

Who was the tiny (oriental?) lad that played second half, no squad number?

Baldie is Hatfield and he has signed.

Tiny (Oriental?) lad is Lingthep from the youth academy, made his debut for us v Chester away last season.