Middlesbrough game

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Quaker-Ste
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Middlesbrough game

Post by Quaker-Ste » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:43 pm

First game of preseason today for me and got to say I was really impressed.
Goalkeeper is a good organiser and distribution was very good. Trotman was his usual self. Biggest compliment I could pay him was he didn’t stand out like last season due to those around him. Liddell just like Trots but down the left. Two centre half’s good on the bottom. Bigger tests to come against the likes of Taylor but certainly on today’s showing looked an upgrade on last term. Midfield is area of big improvement. Hatfield is your classic link defence to attack . Don’t think he gave a pass away. Up font we are blessed with footballers with great technical ability. Two wingers stay wide and run at their fullbacks. Stand out performaner for me was Campbell. His movement and link up play was well above NLN level. Then add to all of that the subs brought different positives to the party. I don’t envy Alun picking his starting 11 next week. Onwards and upwards.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:46 pm

Plenty to be cautiously optimistic about, with the usual caveat that pre-season is very different to the league, so shouldn't be taken too seriously.

But I do feel Armstrong has assembled a squad he knows what he wants to do with. Will be interesting to see if there's any further movement in terms of incomings and outgoings. For me:

Heaton - Would be happy to see him back, so long as we can make the finances work. Would presumably need Burn to be shifted out.
Holness - Not for me. If Bascome is signed up, I struggle to see how we justify it, as we'd have five players competing for the two central midfield spots (six if you include Glover).
Donawa/Bell - Both have looked good at times, bringing pace and energy. I think the forward area is where we look lightest (currently five players for four positions). I'd like to see at least one of these sign.
Scott/Tyrell - Don't think we'll be seeing either of them again.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:23 pm

If we are sensible then we perhaps keep some on non contract terms for the first 2/3 months to cover the busy period of the start of season, so Donawa, Bell & Holness. It's not great and certainly not perfect but may work and gives them the opportunity to try and earn a longer term contract if finances allow after Sep/Oct.

I think Glover and Burn won't be seen and likewise with Scott & Tyrell.

Like others I am cautiously optimistic, it's just pre-season doesn't prove anything. Last season I hoped Styche and Ainge would be free scoring and lead us forward, this year we look like we have a much more balanced side but we are not sure totally where the goals are coming from.

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:28 pm

I heard today we have signed Donawa but don't know how true that is.

darlobaz791

Post by darlobaz791 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:35 pm

quakerste wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:28 pm
I believe this to be true

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:37 pm

quakerste wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:28 pm
I would expect it to be true from what's been mentione dby the club.