Jonny Maddison

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

HarrytheQuaker
Team Supported: Darlington

Jonny Maddison

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:03 pm

Just signed for Port Vale...
Hope he proves the Darlo doom mongers wrong...

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

LoidLucan

Re: Jonny Maddison

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:36 pm

I don't think anyone will begrudge it if he gets his career back on track. Good luck to him. But there's no denying that he had a persistently poor season with us. He made costly mistakes at regular intervals during the season, didn't command his box, was frequently hesitant with crosses (giving defenders around him the jitters) and didn't seem to be moving in the right direction hence why the manager who signed him finally lost patience at a time when our survival looked in the balance. Turner then showed us what a solid keeper is like.

I know some say boo boys made him lose confidence but I don't think anyone was on his back with the opening day clanger against Curzon, the soft header that beat him at Spenny, the awful mistake-laden display at Chorley and lots of others I could point to. He didn't prove a solid keeper overall and it cost us.

I wasn't a doom monger, didn't shout abuse at him (or anyone else) but for me he didn't perform well over the course of the season and based on that it was the right decision to let him go. But as Vale's No. 2 I hope he gets a chance at some stage and does OK. Maybe being a No. 2 may help him get things back together rather than being in the spotlight and firing line week-in, week-out which exposed weaknesses when he was with us.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:57 pm

Very well put, LoidLucan.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:03 pm

Good luck to the lad, didn't work for him here and he had plenty to learn/improve which he might get with full time coaching.

Agree with the above, his career at Darlo started badly and it never got much better, he might do ok if he played behind some leaders at the back of which we had none last year.

One of those, happy he has left but that doesn't mean I wish him not to do well.