Darlington V Southport

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Spyman
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Southport

Post by Spyman » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:20 am

H1987 wrote:Really!? If anything then, he is remarkably two footed. He used his right foot repeatedly, to a point where he had convinced me he was right footed.

I know Liddle was out of position, but he was excellent. I know Watson is a utility man, but thought he was right footed. Shows what I know eh. Both were excellent, but particularly Liddle I thought.
Would seem very odd if Watson is right footed to stick him on the left and Liddle on the right. Oh well, whatever it was it worked.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:55 am

Another good win against a very big & capable team through everyone playing their role & 100% effort. Took early chance well & converted the penalty won by skillfully running into the box with the ball. Great first half where we outplayed them thru attractive football, so that Southport put all 3 subs on at start of 2nd half. Loss of Liddle tempered by Heaton who was class, then we showed good game management to close out the match. Almost feel sorry for the stayaways who missed a good all round display. They should come back for next home games as potentially we could score loads against BPA & Blyth.

Breedon

Post by Breedon » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:36 am

real_darlo_85 wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:15 pm
I know it's early in the season but just for a bit of continuous comparison, am I right in thinking that we have more points at this stage than at this point last year after 5 matches?
I expect we'll have a better season than last season across the board so would expect most if not all "then vs now" points comparisons to be favourable this season, but the biggest difference is we look like the home team when we play at home. We didn't get that with any kind of consistency last season, but immediately we look like we're making Blackwell a hard place to come.

en passant

Post by en passant » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:01 am

It is very early in the season to undo the ills of last season's home form. For those who came and witnessed the often poor fare that was served up last campaign, it will take a few positive results and reports to get the belief flowing again. The team is certainly doing its bit to create a better vibe and hopefully will continue to grow and get some of the floating fans to give this team a chance. But the team could do itself a big favour by getting a result in the next away game to ramp up the momentum for the next home game, that, has been said, is against a side that is struggling to score and has shipped a lot of goals. Having said that we do tend to do banana skins when we get a good crowd in.

On yesterday's game, I thought we coped better with the first half conditions. After trying a few long balls out of defence we cottoned on to the wind driving too many out of play or not getting far enough up field and only launched it when we were further up the pitch and could judge the pass better. Southport didn't seem to understand that playing with the wind and booting the ball downfield meant that it went sailing beyond their forwards too often which eased the pressure on our defence. Second half Southport were a bit more canny and relied on long throw ins and corners to try and unsettle our defence, which last season would have probably crumble. But there is a lot of resolve in the side and a good work ethic, with Hatfield and even Donawa getting back to snuff out any threat of a comeback. Some of the lads, like O'Neill, were out on their feet at the end, but they held on and it will have done them a world of good, both for match fitness and confidence. Getting a good solid start at home will, hopefully, be a springboard to getting things moving away, and a good result next Saturday could set us up for a very good season indeed.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:39 am

Agree, it would be odd. He must just be comfortable with both feet, which is a great option for us to have.

If Liddle is knackered we might want to dip into the loan market short term, I would think. Clearly AA likes fullbacks who can bomb on a bit. Losing Trotman and Liddle removes a lot of impetus from the team. But at least we have a week to recover. It’ll be unlikely he plays next week if he’s having to put ice on his knee though, I would think.

mikkyx
Site Admin

Post by mikkyx » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:01 am

real_darlo_85 wrote:
I know it's early in the season but just for a bit of continuous comparison, am I right in thinking that we have more points at this stage than at this point last year after 5 matches?
After 5 games last season: P5 W1 D2 L2 F10 A12 Pts 5
After 5 games this season: P5 W2 D1 L2 F8 A7 Pts 7
Darlo Uncovered flux capacitor maintainer-in-chief
Darlo Fans Radio | Official Website

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:02 am

AA has worked miracles here, he started with virtually a blank canvas and has brought in a group of lads who are giving us exactly the opposite of what we endured last season.That team spirit we had a couple of seasons is back, that is plainly obvious, and to produce a result and performance like that yesterday, taking into account our injury problems,was superb.We have Thommo and Atkinson available now and fingers crossed about the injury to Liddle.The emergence of Donawa and Josh Heaton adds to a pretty strong squad imo and AA is still looking to bring another couple of lads in, a RB and a rumour regarding Gary Martin
Really chuffed with how things are going so far and looking at these crazy results so far in this league, would not be surprised in the least if we end up in the playoffs.
Nice to be ahead of The Pride even though they have still to play at home , the gap has definitely closed without a doubt.
Up the Quakers.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:16 am

Liam Watson seems to suggest that they lost because we adapted to the wind better and they didn't come to terms with playing on a wide pitch. I think it was more that we played the better football and were just, well, better all over the pitch. Their only tactic seemed to be long throws and belting the ball up the pitch.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:17 am

I would think Atkinson or Holliday can come in at right back, Watson stays left back and then Laing/Heaton/Galbraith play for the central defensive roles.

We're still well covered in midfield with Hatfield, Bascombe, Holness and Wheatley so don't need to put Atkinson back in there even if he'd be first choice.

Amazing that with two full-backs out we can still look ok-ish for cover.

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:33 am

mikkyx wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:01 am
real_darlo_85 wrote:
After 5 games last season: P5 W1 D2 L2 F10 A12 Pts 5
After 5 games this season: P5 W2 D1 L2 F8 A7 Pts 7
Thanks Mikky. I seem to remember and looking at those stats it was this time last year we conceded 5 at Kidderminster and it just spiralled from there. As others have suggested this season has started well enough and suggests better things.....fingers crossed! :thumbup:
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

quakersam

Post by quakersam » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:48 am

Spyman wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:17 am
I would think Atkinson or Holliday can come in at right back, Watson stays left back and then Laing/Heaton/Galbraith play for the central defensive roles.

We're still well covered in midfield with Hatfield, Bascombe, Holness and Wheatley so don't need to put Atkinson back in there even if he'd be first choice.

Atkinson will fill in at right back next week but ideally Alun is looking to play him centre mid.
QuakerSam ...Once a Quaker, always a Quaker

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:11 am

quakersam wrote:
Spyman wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:17 am

Atkinson will fill in at right back next week but ideally Alun is looking to play him centre mid.
Exactly.

But ideally Liddle and Trotman wouldn't be injured and we'd have a pot of gold to bring replacements straight in.

We do however look pretty well covered given the circumstances and I think we should persevere with what we've got, which still looks pretty strong to me.

DC

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:37 am

Do we know how long Liddle is likely to be out for? To be fair I thought we looked just as good when we brought Heaton on and went 3-5-2 with Donawa and Watson as wing backs.

If we revert back to 4-4-2 (sorry, 4-2-3-1 for the connoisseurs) and Atkinson is fit, then he's the obvious choice for right back until we have either Liddle back or another right back.

With AA eventually wanting to use Atkinson in midfield I think it's going to be harsh on Bascombe to lose his place because he has done great for me. Also, Wheatley and Holness are going to have a hard job getting in the team.

These problems are a world away from the problems of last season - ie who can we even find to sit on the bench!

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:48 am

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:Do we know how long Liddle is likely to be out for? To be fair I thought we looked just as good when we brought Heaton on and went 3-5-2 with Donawa and Watson as wing backs.

If we revert back to 4-4-2 (sorry, 4-2-3-1 for the connoisseurs) and Atkinson is fit, then he's the obvious choice for right back until we have either Liddle back or another right back.

With AA eventually wanting to use Atkinson in midfield I think it's going to be harsh on Bascombe to lose his place because he has done great for me. Also, Wheatley and Holness are going to have a hard job getting in the team.

These problems are a world away from the problems of last season - ie who can we even find to sit on the bench!
Armstrong suggested they need to wait for the swelling to go down before they can assess the injury properly.

DC

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:23 pm

Best case scenario is that Liddle has jarred his knee and it settles down, worst case is ligament damage.

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:14 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:16 am
Liam Watson seems to suggest that they lost because we adapted to the wind better and they didn't come to terms with playing on a wide pitch. I think it was more that we played the better football and were just, well, better all over the pitch. Their only tactic seemed to be long throws and belting the ball up the pitch.
It's a while since an opposing manager left town making daft excuses for getting well beaten. A manager of a decent team too. Getting a point was the general hope before the kick-off and injuries plus three games in a week seemed to make this a sensible view but what a result against the big lads and some of the best football a Quakers side has produced for a long time. Confidence and fitness go together and we seem to have ample supplies at present; holding onto the game from early on was another major plus so I say we deserved that dodgy penalty - we'll get one given against us soon enough. Probably the next time Chandler lines up against us.

Breedon

Post by Breedon » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:39 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:16 am
Exactly this. When you can keep your composure against a physical team trying to press and just knock it around, they'll get tired, the pressure will stop and if they can't pressure your defense and midfield into cheap turnovers they end up resorting to booting it long and run out of ideas pretty quickly. Alun and the lads got it spot on yesterday from first whistle to the last with both tactics and game management.

dfc4me

Post by dfc4me » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:55 pm

You can see how they won at Farsley midweek. If the ball is in the air all the time then the pitch condition isn’t a problem. The teams that will win at Farsley will be the ones that play hoof ball. Maybe it is time we had some kind of regulation regarding pitch quality rather than just the ref deciding it’s playable.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:18 pm

dfc4me wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:55 pm
You can see how they won at Farsley midweek. If the ball is in the air all the time then the pitch condition isn’t a problem. The teams that will win at Farsley will be the ones that play hoof ball. Maybe it is time we had some kind of regulation regarding pitch quality rather than just the ref deciding it’s playable.
I was annoyed at the pitch at Farsley but did you ever go to games at Feethams?

Sometimes the condition of the pitch was an utter disgrace. Years ago my Son was a mascot in a game against Scarboro and when I walked out onto the pitch before kick off there were holes, hard bits/soft bits, gaps between the strips of turf, and the playing surface wasn't even flat. I remember the S'boro officials complaining. This wasn't a one off either, in the mid to late 90's our pitch often was awful.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:27 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:18 pm
dfc4me wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:55 pm
I was annoyed at the pitch at Farsley but did you ever go to games at Feethams?

Sometimes the condition of the pitch was an utter disgrace. Years ago my Son was a mascot in a game against Scarboro and when I walked out onto the pitch before kick off there were holes, hard bits/soft bits, gaps between the strips of turf, and the playing surface wasn't even flat. I remember the S'boro officials complaining. This wasn't a one off either, in the mid to late 90's our pitch often was awful.
That was the weekend after they had relaid half the pitch due to the drainage problems caused by the new east stand. Mick Wadsworth was booting off about it after they lost which isn't surprising. A pitch, good or bad, is the same for both teams.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:42 pm

Disagree on that point Loan_Star. Teams set up pitches which suit their style of play.

If Farsley’s game is suited to long ball, whereas ours is about passing on the deck, the pitch is therefore different, in that it suits one team’s style over another.

I suppose the question then is, do we have any problem with teams setting up a pitch which better suits their own style? Personally I don’t.

However Farsley‘s pitch did seem exceptionally poor.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:20 pm

II have a problem with it if it goes too far. For example away at Lancaster a few years back when the grass was ridiculously too long, and was left this way on purpose. This was such an obvious tactic and should have (and could have) been sorted out before kick off.

Whilst I see what dfc4me is getting at, I feel that to try and regulate pitch quality at our level would be almost impossible.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:33 pm

From the tinshed, the penalty incident looked like a definite penalty and there didn't seem many grumbles from the Southport players, which indicated that it was a clear cut penalty.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:27 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:33 pm
From the tinshed, the penalty incident looked like a definite penalty and there didn't seem many grumbles from the Southport players, which indicated that it was a clear cut penalty.
Not the ideal view from the Tin Shed where I was, but it seemed like the defender was bamboozled enough to stick his leg out & executed a hip throw. Deffo pen, but the lino was about 15 yards away and in line so he had a much better sight of the incident and he agreed with the ref.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:47 pm

Don't know whether it's good news or bad news that so far nothing has been said about Liddle's injury. I thought there may have been some developments from training on Tuesday. Maybe it's still being assessed. Could have done with him sorting out Altrincham winger Ashley Hemmings who's caused us problems in the past for a couple of clubs.