old programmes

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

bigdavethemaddog

old programmes

Post by bigdavethemaddog » Thu May 23, 2019 6:21 pm

did anybody look into the possibility of the club selling donated old programmes to raise funds for the club? i have a few i want rid of but dont want to bin them if it could earn the club a few quid? surely there is room for a small box/table in the corner of the club shop on a matchday? every penny is precious

don'tbuythesun
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: old programmes

Post by don'tbuythesun » Thu May 23, 2019 9:24 pm

Sounds like you've got yourself a job as old programme seller Dave!! Why don't you contact someone and offer your services?

ex-exile

Post by ex-exile » Fri May 24, 2019 5:31 am

I have a lot of old programs which I will gladly donate for anybody to sell for the club.

johnac52

Post by johnac52 » Fri May 24, 2019 3:20 pm

I have around 160 programmes, approx 90 of which are DFC, that I'd be willing to donate for the benefit of the club.

Glass half full

Post by Glass half full » Fri May 24, 2019 11:21 pm

I have around 700 programmes that I would be happy to donate, if anyone is prepared to give their time to sell them? The big issue is likely to be where to store them given that we are only allowed to use BM on match days, as it would be difficult to transport them back and forward on each occasion.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat May 25, 2019 7:51 am

It's a great idea. It brings in the interest of away fans too. Curzon Ashton has its own dedicated programme hut where everything is sorted into sections. They also sell off old Man City programmes for very cheap with an agreement with City. Something we could do with local big team programmes maybe. There were a few erections had in there, I tell you. However, I'm not sure how we'd do it logistically. We just don't have the space in QR and you would need another bigger unit.

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Sat May 25, 2019 10:11 am

Great idea if the logistics could be sorted.
I would be willing to donate my old collection of programmes. Going back further than I care to remember but including what I consider iconic moments in the clubs history, Bolton match, 5th round league cup against Derby County, Arsenal cup game,Everton, both play-off finals, Trophy final and many more.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat May 25, 2019 11:42 am

Its a shame we can't have some facility within the boundaries of the ground to have a set up like this. Always seems to be a case of they don't want any evidence we are there on non match days.

bigdavethemaddog

Post by bigdavethemaddog » Sat May 25, 2019 1:47 pm

at Leeds they have a converted caravan and trailer that turn up each matchday and they sell old programmes out of that.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat May 25, 2019 7:42 pm

Tbh this does sound like something which could be set up online to help with the logistics.

Upload a photo of your programmes to a searchable e-library. If there is a buyer for your programme take it to the club so it is available for collection.

Might make it easier for people to find and saves on logistics of storage - and for those who are not on line and get inspired on a match day that could be operated via a tablet or something so someone could ‘virtually’ look at the library...

If I had the skill set I would offer to help but I’m more used to design aspects than delivery though - leave that to the devs.

Feethams 1966

Post by Feethams 1966 » Sun May 26, 2019 11:49 am

I'm sure I have most of the 1971/2 and following season gathering dust in my loft. Could be a good way for them to go.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:44 am

Can any fans help out with a request over Twitter. A Worcester FC fan is looking for a program from our home game V them on 26/10/2016. Looking to commemorate the first game for his new born son aged 6 days old. We knacked them 5-1 so guess it would be nice to give something back.

robsraiders

Post by robsraiders » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:54 pm

I have had a request from a fan can anyone help me out please ? Sure someone will have it needed to complete a full season

1980/1981 season March 17th 1981. Darlington FC v Wimbledon FC.

What is unique about this programme is the original game was postponed from Jan 17th and when the game was finally played, the original

programme was used and an, “insert” was put inside the old programme.

norwich darlo

Post by norwich darlo » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:07 pm

Talk of the devil her indoors was having a clear out today and found a 2-page programme for Darlington v Crook town in the FA Youth Cup 7.30 pm on the 25th October 1999 Darlington v Norton & Stockton ancients 27th October and Darlington V Southport on 30th October in the FA Cup. no doubt someone out there in Darlo land will be able to provide the results over to you.

Darlo Since 68

Post by Darlo Since 68 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:12 pm

After some inquiries, we are going to give this a go.

I have had a word with Lynn in Quaker retail and we can set up a table on the left hand side of the unit on match days. We will start this on Bank Holiday Monday at the Bradford PA game.

The logistics of putting out the programmes and then storing them is still something that may prove problematical. So with this in mind , please can everyone not bring their donations along on Monday, but instead please come and see me in Quaker retail, with numbers and details of programmes you wish to donate.

We already have a fair few to put out on Monday and as you can all appreciate, I would not like to be inundated with donations and then find that there is just too many to transport back home for me. So please have a word with me and we can ‘stagger’ the numbers coming in.

Also, if anyone has any plastic containers with lids that can be used to store the programmes, then they will be really useful. I have a fair number myself, however I can see carrier bags arriving and I would like to store the programmes securely if I can.

All the proceeds from the sale of programmes will be allocated to the DFCSG Ground Development Fund as we do with the bucket collections.

Also, if anyone has an interest in programmes and can offer me assistance on match days in running the ‘Programme Shop’ (posh name for a table :lol: ), then please get in touch. This would help enormously as a lot of you know me from selling the 50/50 tickets and if I am in Quaker retail, then I am not available to sell the 50/50 tickets. As usual, we just need more volunteers.

My email details are andrew.matthews@darlingtonfc.org should anyone wish to volunteer to assist me or just to contact regarding their collection.

I thank everyone in advance of their support in this venture and also everyone’s patience whilst we get going. I just know there will be teething issues. However as someone said on a previous post, every penny counts in our fundraising, so hopefully all the effort will be worthwhile.

Darlo Since 68

Post by Darlo Since 68 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:01 am

I have had a lot of programmes donated and I will be bringing as many as I can to Monday's game.

However I have 2 Darlington Programmes that may interest on or two of you.

The first is from the very first Sunday League game against Mansfield Town on 15/02/1981. This programme has been autographed by 17 players from that game and also has the additional insert 'A message from the Chairman'

The second is from the David Barton Benefit Match played on 13/05/1984. This match was against Newcastle United and this has been autographed by 6 players, including Steve Carney, Glen Roeder,John Anderson, and the one and only Kevin Keegan.

If anyone is interested in any of these programmes, they can contact me direct and make an over on them. All proceeds as mentioned previously will be allocated to the DFCSG Ground Developement fund.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:09 am

Darlo Since 68 wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:01 am
….

The first is from the very first Sunday League game against Mansfield Town on 15/02/1981. This programme has been autographed by 17 players from that game and also has the additional insert 'A message from the Chairman'
….

I remember that game

Protestors from the Keep Sunday Special groups outside the ground.

the club were not allowed to charge for admission. you paid your money and were given a team sheet. Entry to game was free but you bought a team sheet. There was also one turnstile hidden away at Polam Lane entrance that you could get free admission

how times have changed now re Sunday football and indeed Sunday trading in general

PS There were a number of clubs who played Sunday games in the miners strike in the early 1970s to avoid the floodlight ban. Did Darlington never play at home on a Sunday then? I don't think they did, well not as far as I can recall.

PPS Was the insert, not the "teamsheet" you got for your money at the turnstile?

Darlo Since 68

Post by Darlo Since 68 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:23 am

The insert most probably was the 'entry fee' team sheet. I have come across this programme once or twice over the years, but not with the 'teamsheet' included. Probably because they were thrown away once fans entered the ground as you could still buy the official programme.

I cant remember attending any Sunday games in the 70's during the strikes.

I know that this game was the first 'official' game to be played on a Sunday after the league chairman sanctioned Sunday football. As you say, look where it has led, with games being played at all sorts of times for TV.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:17 pm

Darlo Since 68 wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:23 am
The insert most probably was the 'entry fee' team sheet. I have come across this programme once or twice over the years, but not with the 'teamsheet' included. Probably because they were thrown away once fans entered the ground as you could still buy the official programme.

I cant remember attending any Sunday games in the 70's during the strikes.

I know that this game was the first 'official' game to be played on a Sunday after the league chairman sanctioned Sunday football. As you say, look where it has led, with games being played at all sorts of times for TV.

A bit of googling suggests that on Sat 26 January & Sunday 27 January Darlington played home games
https://www.footballsite.co.uk/Statisti ... otball.htm (Paragraph next to Cambridge programme mentions it)

On Sat 23/ Sunday 24 February Darlington played Rotherham and Barnsley in successive days away from home

On Sat 30 March Darlo won at home to Crewe and the next day Sunday - won away at Stockport

So - only one Sunday home game, but a few double header weekends

https://www.11v11.com/teams/darlington/ ... ason/1974/

Spratts corner

Post by Spratts corner » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:01 pm

If i remember right, i think Bruce Grobbelaar was in goal for Crewe that day

spen666

Post by spen666 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:00 pm

Spratts corner wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:01 pm
If i remember right, i think Bruce Grobbelaar was in goal for Crewe that day
A few years later. He was on loan at Crewe 1979/80 season

Darlo My Darlo

Post by Darlo My Darlo » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:23 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 7:51 am
There were a few erections had in there, I tell you.
That's what she said.

Darlo Since 68

Post by Darlo Since 68 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:38 pm

Just a reminder to everyone that Monday will see the first day we have our programme stall inside Quaker retail.

I will be bringing about 1000 programmes down from the 70's through each decade.

There will be programmes from most league clubs, some cup finals and also international matches.

Mostly there will be Darlo home and away programmes, so if you need to fill a gap in your collection, please come and have a word with me.

I look forward to meeting up with fellow collectors on Monday.

Darlo Since 68

Post by Darlo Since 68 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:48 pm

At Mondays game, I set myself up within the confines of Quaker retail with the inaugural programme table (Many thanks to Lynn and the girls from Quaker retail).

We had a few interested parties who were searching through for specific programmes to add to their collection.

Although the first day was a little quiet (we need to let more people know we are now here), we had donations of £12 from the programmes sold.

This sum has been added in with the bucket collections to the Ground Development Fund.

Thank you to everyone who came over and had a chat.

We will be setting up again at the Blyth game.

bigdavethemaddog

Post by bigdavethemaddog » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:55 pm

how is this going? im hopefully coming up in a few weeks so will bring some current season stuff to donate

Darlo Since 68

Post by Darlo Since 68 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:02 pm

It is going reasonably well.

We get a steady stream of people calling into Quaker retail and we have raised in excess of £100.

I also have been selling some of the older programmes on facebook and have raised about £90 on there also.

We have Darlo home and away programmes going back to the late 50's (some other clubs through the 60's).

So if anyone knows anyone who collects, then mention to them that we have programmes which all we ask for is a reasonable donation to the cause.

At the moment we probably have about 2500 programmes donated in and I can only bring so many along to games and storage is an issue. So if any particular club programmes are required, please let me know and I can look out for them.

bigdavethemaddog

Post by bigdavethemaddog » Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:21 pm

im pleased it has been a success so far as every penny counts. im looking for homes v Chorley and FC United from last season if anybody has them knocking around.

Darlo Since 68

Post by Darlo Since 68 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:47 pm

spen666

Post by spen666 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:09 pm

Darlo Since 68 wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:02 pm
It is going reasonably well.

We get a steady stream of people calling into Quaker retail and we have raised in excess of £100.

I also have been selling some of the older programmes on facebook and have raised about £90 on there also.

We have Darlo home and away programmes going back to the late 50's (some other clubs through the 60's).

So if anyone knows anyone who collects, then mention to them that we have programmes which all we ask for is a reasonable donation to the cause.

At the moment we probably have about 2500 programmes donated in and I can only bring so many along to games and storage is an issue. So if any particular club programmes are required, please let me know and I can look out for them.

Could you get club to post link on website to programme lists, so people could know what you have and contact you to get you to bring programme they want to game.

May boost sales?

Darlo Since 68

Post by Darlo Since 68 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:09 pm

If someone would like to start and list 2500 programmes then that would be fantastic.

I just don't have the time.

That is why I would ask people to pop into Quaker retail on match days and see what we have and if there is something more specific, then let us know and we will have a look.