Players past/present

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

RonJeremy
Team Supported: Darlington, Man Utd.

Players past/present

Post by RonJeremy » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:43 pm

Just something that’s probably been done 1000 times before but something I’ve been thinking about recently! Plus it takes away from some people’s negativity about the team at the minute. Answer all if you can and say something about your decision. Since leaving Feethams who has been:

Worst Player

Worst Goalkeeper

Worst Debut (compared to other performances)

Worst Goal (if there is such thing? They all count!)

Best Player

Best Goalkeeper

Best Debut (but was poor thereafter or didn’t live up to expectations)

Best Goal

Here’s mine:

Worst Player: Clayton Fortune, all i remember was a big clumsy donkey who wouldn’t get in our current team.

Worst Goalkeeper: Ashlee Jones, anyone who witnessed this Goalkeeper will more than likely agree, it was comical!

Worst Debut: Aaron Brown, but was then excellent after a few games, became one of my favourite players for us.

Worst Goal: Chris Brass OG, need I say anymore!? (It was in our favour so surely I can count it :lol: )

Best Player: Gary Brown, it shown how much he was missed when he returned, lead from the back and by example. (Stephen Thompson, Stephen Foster, Alan White, Pawel Abbott were all close to me picking them)

Best Goalkeeper: Sam Russell, second spell he was absolutely fantastic. (Close between him Collett, Stockdale and Gerken who was excellent on loan)

Best Debut: Barry Conlon, second time, believe he scored a hat-trick and Giallanza got the other

Best Goal: Martin Smith, can’t remember who it was against but it was a fantastic volley :o :sick:

en passant
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Players past/present

Post by en passant » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:09 am

RonJeremy wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:43 pm
Just something that’s probably been done 1000 times before but something I’ve been thinking about recently! Plus it takes away from some people’s negativity about the team at the minute. Answer all if you can and say something about your decision. Since leaving Feethams who has been:

Worst Player

Worst Goalkeeper

Best Player

Best Goalkeeper

Best Goal

Here’s mine:

Worst Player: Clayton Fortune, all i remember was a big clumsy donkey who wouldn’t get in our current team.

Worst Goalkeeper: Ashlee Jones, anyone who witnessed this Goalkeeper will more than likely agree, it was comical!

Worst Debut: Aaron Brown, but was then excellent after a few games, became one of my favourite players for us.

Worst Goal: Chris Brass OG, need I say anymore!? (It was in our favour so surely I can count it :lol: )

Best Player: Gary Brown, it shown how much he was missed when he returned, lead from the back and by example. (Stephen Thompson, Stephen Foster, Alan White, Pawel Abbott were all close to me picking them)

Best Goalkeeper: Sam Russell, second spell he was absolutely fantastic. (Close between him Collett, Stockdale and Gerken who was excellent on loan)

Best Debut: Barry Conlon, second time, believe he scored a hat-trick and Giallanza got the other

Best Goal: Martin Smith, can’t remember who it was against but it was a fantastic volley :o :sick:
The Martin Smith goal you refer to was in an away FA Cup tie against Lewes in 2006. It was the final goal in a 4-1 victory. I have only ever seen it on TV/video, but would urge anyone who thinks they have seen spectacular goals worth drooling over by multi millionaire Premiership players to catch up with that one. What a goal.

bga

Post by bga » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:49 am

RonJeremy wrote:

Worst Player

Worst Goalkeeper

Best Player

Best Goalkeeper

Best Goal

Here’s mine:

Thought you said since leaving Feethams Ron?

bga

Post by bga » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:52 am

en passant wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:09 am
RonJeremy wrote:

Worst Player

Worst Goalkeeper

Best Player

Best Goalkeeper

Best Goal

Here’s mine:

The Martin Smith goal you refer to was in an away FA Cup tie against Lewes in 2006. It was the final goal in a 4-1 victory. I have only ever seen it on TV/video, but would urge anyone who thinks they have seen spectacular goals worth drooling over by multi millionaire Premiership players to catch up with that one. What a goal.
I was there and level with him when he hit it. Only other goal I can think of to match came whilst at Feethams but I will mention it anyway. Way back Alan Walsh at Wigan also a great volley,

bga

Post by bga » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:54 am

bga wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:49 am
RonJeremy wrote:

Worst Player

Worst Goalkeeper

Best Player

Best Goalkeeper

Best Goal

Here’s mine:

Thought you said since leaving Feethams Ron?
Ignore my comment I was having a Senior moment and got my dates wrong!

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:11 am

No mention of our World Cup keepers (even if they were on loan)?

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:37 am

Based on limited viewing compared to most, I'd go with:

Worst player - I think it was Craig James. Left back who had a couple of spells with us and re-signed when Colin Todd took over, and I think was released before the season even started. I'm sure there's been many others who only played one or two games for us who were worse, but as a 'regular' he was one of the worst I can remember.

Worst keeper - basing this on those I actually saw with any regularity, it would be Mark Price or David Knight for me. Both well out of their depth. Ashlee Jones goes down in folklore but I didn't see his one appearance so can't really comment.

Worst debut - relative to what came after, I'd go with Adam Bartlett who I remember made a couple of howlers in his first couple of games but went on to be one of the best players in that final Martin Gray season.

Worst goal - nothing springs to mind, but probably one of those conceded by the keepers above!

Best player - I'd give this to Stephen Thompson having consistantly been among our best performers for 7 seasons now. Pre-2012 you could pick from any number, but the best players were probably predominantly in the Penney-era, Abbott, Foster, Purdie, Ravenhill being some of the ones that stand out to me.

Best keeper - I'd say Sam Russell second time around. I wasn't a massive fan the first time he was with us but he really won me over during his second spell. Collett didn't feature much once we left Feethams from what I remember.

Best debut - Can't think of anyone thats springs to mind but I'm sure there have been plenty of players who looked the part the their debut but then flattered to deceive. David Dowson first time around in the conference maybe.

Best goal - Martin Smith at Lewes.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Breedon

Post by Breedon » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:36 pm

Worst Player: Noel Whelan takes some beating in this category!

Worst Goalkeeper: Bertrand Bossu was absolutely useless and howler prone in his short time with us.

Worst Debut (compared to other performances): Anthony Griffith had a nightmare at Stockport in a 5-2 defeat in one of the Dave Penney seasons and was taken off at half time. In terms of having a bad debut but going on to be decent, Aaron Brown and Adam Bartlett are good shouts.

Worst Goal (if there is such thing? They all count!): In our favour has to be the hilarious Chris Brass own goal!

Best Player: Marco Gabbiadini. Never seen a player so much better than the level he was playing at.

Best Goalkeeper: Andy Collett. Plenty of goalkeepers get described as good shot stoppers, but Andy Collett at his best would routinely defy the laws of physics to make saves.

Best Debut (but was poor thereafter or didn’t live up to expectations): Not sure if it was actually his debut or he'd come off the bench in a previous game, but Mark Sheeran coming off the bench to score twice in the last 5 minutes to beat Luton (who were near the top) at Feethams was pretty special. Thought we had a wonder kid. He never amounted to anything and was released a couple of years later.

Best Goal: Pawel Abbott's first in the 3-2 win over Grimsby at the Arena when we came from 2-0 down. He had been put clean through with all the time in the world to dribble into the box and finish one on one. Instead he tried an audacious chip from 18 yards, under no pressure and with the keeper not even off his line, and unbelievably he picked out the one square foot of the goal the keeper couldn't get to. The Grimsby fans even gave a "WEEEEY!" after he hit it thinking he'd fluffed it before it dropped in. Outrageous skill and arrogance to do that just because he could!

RonJeremy
Team Supported: Darlington, Man Utd.

Post by RonJeremy » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:04 pm

Breedon wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:36 pm

Worst Goalkeeper: Bertrand Bossu was absolutely useless and howler prone in his short time with us.

Worst Debut (compared to other performances): Anthony Griffith had a nightmare at Stockport in a 5-2 defeat in one of the Dave Penney seasons and was taken off at half time. In terms of having a bad debut but going on to be decent, Aaron Brown and Adam Bartlett are good shouts.

Worst Goal (if there is such thing? They all count!): In our favour has to be the hilarious Chris Brass own goal!

Best Player: Marco Gabbiadini. Never seen a player so much better than the level he was playing at.

Best Goalkeeper: Andy Collett. Plenty of goalkeepers get described as good shot stoppers, but Andy Collett at his best would routinely defy the laws of physics to make saves.

Best Debut (but was poor thereafter or didn’t live up to expectations): Not sure if it was actually his debut or he'd come off the bench in a previous game, but Mark Sheeran coming off the bench to score twice in the last 5 minutes to beat Luton (who were near the top) at Feethams was pretty special. Thought we had a wonder kid. He never amounted to anything and was released a couple of years later.

Best Goal: Pawel Abbott's first in the 3-2 win over Grimsby at the Arena when we came from 2-0 down. He had been put clean through with all the time in the world to dribble into the box and finish one on one. Instead he tried an audacious chip from 18 yards, under no pressure and with the keeper not even off his line, and unbelievably he picked out the one square foot of the goal the keeper couldn't get to. The Grimsby fans even gave a "WEEEEY!" after he hit it thinking he'd fluffed it before it dropped in. Outrageous skill and arrogance to do that just because he could!

Was this after a spell out injured? I seem to remember being sat right behind the goal when this happened? Could be another goal I’m referring to mind :lol:

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:42 pm

I think you missed the "since we left feethams" bit.....

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:55 pm

en passant wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:09 am
RonJeremy wrote:

Worst Player

Worst Goalkeeper

Best Player

Best Goalkeeper

Best Goal

As my torturous affair with Darlo goes back a long way I've also included one or two that 50 years and others might remember from Feethams days.

Worst player. Most of the team Colin Todd had to put out at Lincoln in 2011. The worst performance I've ever paid to watch anywhere.

Worst Goalkeeper. Pat Cuff 1982. The weakest link in a decent Quakers side.

Worst debut compared to later performances. Olivier Bernard but a class act later on.

Worst goal. The fifth at Matlock a back pass from hell 'credited' to Thompson in 2015.

Best player. Mathew Appleby. More recently Anwar Purwel. Thommo's great when he's in the mood.

Best goalkeeper. Stockdale.

Best debut but no good subsequently. Has to be George Reynolds. Should be spared more porridge though.

Best goal. Steve Senior at Wembley with a vital assist from one Tommy Wright. Not the classiest but the one we'll all remember.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:19 pm

Two that I remember a David cork backheal for our sixth goal against boston 1989,and a Mick Tate thunderbolt from around 30/35 yards can't remember who it was against at the moment. Cheeky goal and a cracker.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:28 pm

Worst Player:
Paddy Deane - Signed by Staunton as a striker. The lad was many things but a footballer was not one of the, never seen a pro with no touch, movement or perception before. To think he made 10 appearances.

Worst Goalkeeper:
Ashlee Jones - Again in the disastrous league 2 season. Watching him jump over the ball as they scored made me angry at the time, now all I can do is laugh.

Aaron Brown - The lad had a torrid time but suddenly became one of the most reliable performers in that FA Trophy team, gave us the width we needed while we were playing with a diamond in midfield.

Seem to remember in our first season in this league (NLN) we beat Boston 3-0 at home. The second goal came from a mis-hit cross from Turnbull, who was still looking for his first Darlo goal at this point, in the CB's attempts to swipe the ball away on the edge of the box he managed to slice it top corner. Keeper had no chance. All the Darlo players ran to Turnbull as he rather apologetically laughed his tits off.

Best Player
For pure skill had to be Pawel Abbott, what he was doing playing in league 2 I will never know.

Best Goalkeeper
From my time watching Darlo has to be Stockdale.

Best Goal
Going from goals I've been present for, it would be one of three:
1. Pawel Abbott's audacious lob against Grimsby (as metioned above). It was pure class, he did it simply because he could.
2. Jason Kennedy's stunner to give us the lead Vs Rochdale in the playoff semi final first leg.
3. Jason Kennedy's stunner when we played Rochdale at Spotland the following season. 30 yards out into the top corner. Even sweeter given the playoff result the previous season.

Breedon

Post by Breedon » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:03 am

RonJeremy wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:04 pm
Breedon wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:36 pm

Was this after a spell out injured? I seem to remember being sat right behind the goal when this happened? Could be another goal I’m referring to mind :lol:
I think this was before his injury problems started. Was in front of the Grimsby fans. He did score a worldy on his return from the big injury too against Bournemouth which is probably the one you're thinking of. Incidentally that was Eddie Howe's first ever game in charge of Bournemouth. They've not done badly since then!