Gary Martin

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

london exile
Team Supported: Darlington

Gary Martin

Post by london exile » Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:55 pm

Gary Martin was delighted with today's IBB and the Stars as he scored twice in the 3: 2 defeat of the Islanders but the goals secured him the gold shoe in the men's Premier League in 2019 football.

Darlington most likely this winter

You are said to be on your way as a lender to your home team in England, Darlington. Is that most likely the way things are right now?

"Yes, at the moment I'm most likely to go there, but it can all happen. If I get sold to a foreign team then it is from the story. If I stay at IBV, Darlington is most likely, then I will return home for three months after the New Year and then return to the Westman Islands. Of course, if they are going to sell me, none of that will happen, "said Gary Martin.

https://www.mbl.is/sport/efstadeild/201 ... erdi_thad/

H1987

Re: Gary Martin

Post by H1987 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:56 pm

Wouldn’t mind. As long as he’s not daft. More than good enough to make a contribution for a few months.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:14 pm

I cant translate from Icelandic

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:27 am

He could be the answer to our search for a CF, even though at 1.80m & 79kg he is not the massive hairy arsed b****d some fans want. Love to hear the Tin Shed trying out the Icelandic clapping! And he is a local lad👍✊

en passant

Post by en passant » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:33 am

jjljks wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:27 am
And he is a local lad👍✊
Just like Johnny Burn.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:56 am

en passant wrote:
jjljks wrote:
And he is a local ladImageImage
Just like Johnny Burn.
And that's where the comparison ends.Stupid remark.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:59 am

Seems to be one of those players we’re constantly linked with, but it never actually happens. The new Paul Connor, perhaps?
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:03 am

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:14 pm
I cant translate from Icelandic ImageImage

I can’t translate the original post, it makes no sense to me.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:08 am

Come on lads, it’s not rocket science. The important translation is in the opening post.

He’s been asked if he’s going to play for someone over their winter break, and he’s suggested it will be us.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:28 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
HarrytheQuaker wrote:

I know I tried to click on the linkImage

en passant

Post by en passant » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:52 am

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:56 am
en passant wrote:
jjljks wrote:
And he is a local ladImageImage
Just like Johnny Burn.
And that's where the comparison ends.Stupid remark.

Sent from my moto g(6) play

Sorry. It was meant to be a humorous comment on the Burn situation rather than any comment on the quality of Martin, which is, I am sure, what you took offence at.

But I would also say that had the names been reversed and it was Burn that was considered as a possible signing many of us would have looked at his pedigree and his local connections as a real positive and would welcome him with open arms, as we did just over 12 months ago. All I am pointing out is that until you actually see someone and see how they fit in to the way we play it isn't easy to say if they will be a worthwhile addition to the squad.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:23 am

Clearly Martin is willing to sign if his current club allows, by all accounts he can't play until January anyhow. He was at the Darlo v Blyth game the other week when home and keeps a close eye on the results.

However I am sure he will have some other interest but could be a good move for us especially if we lost O'Neill at the end of December - although I do think Boro should leave him here as a full season at Nat North hopefully would do the lad well.
Last edited by super_les_mcjannet on Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:27 am

Looks like he's the league top scorer and for the team that finished bottom. 14 in 22, certainly worth a punt if he's interested.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:46 am

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:28 am
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
HarrytheQuaker wrote:

I know I tried to click on the linkImage

The link worked for me, but it didn't make much sense. :lol:

TKOA

Post by TKOA » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:14 am

As well as being able to predict 2nd round qualifying ties, I am also fluent in Icelandic. The article says:

Gary Martin was delighted with today's IBB and the Stars as he scored twice in the 3: 2 defeat of the Islanders but the goals secured him the gold shoe in the men's Premier League in 2019 football.

Martin started the season by scoring two goals for Val in three games but then he was let go from the club following the fact that Vals coach Olafur Jóhannesson did not want to use him anymore. Martin thus played nothing in the next seven rounds, but began playing with IBV on July 1st. He played the last 12 games with the Islanders, scoring 12 goals, ten of them in the last six games, and chasing the Gold Shoe with 14 goals in total.

Martin, who is a 29-year-old Englishman and has played in Iceland since 2010, with the exception of 2017 and 2018 when he was in Norway and Belgium, told mbl.is after the match in Gardabaer that he had the goal-winning title in mind when whistling game on the Samsung pitch today. He then had 12 goals, one after Hilmari Árni Halldórsson, his opponent in the Star Team.

The reward for working hard
"Yes, of course, it was my goal for the game to get the gold shoes. It's selfish to say it, but my only goal was to answer Óla Jo for what he did to me. He taught me one thing that I should not fall into his playing system. I managed to cram it into him today and I enjoy it.

I did not enjoy what I had to go through this summer, it was very difficult for me, mentally, new stories about me every day and my name was slaughtered in the media, all by one man who said I did not fall into system. I had to deal with this.

People may not realize that I am a foreigner in this country. It is not fun to see their name in the media every day. Now I enjoy having stepped into it and am very pleased. These are the rewards for working hard. I did it and reap now. ‘’

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:40 am

There is also implied a possibility that he might get a move to another pro team. I was at Lillestrom in Norway last year. So unless he moves to another league that doesn't break for the winter, then he may be looking for somewhere to play and stay fit over the winter months. It could suit all parties, and i'd say he's comfortably good enough for our level. Hopefully he takes it seriously if it does happen, and doesn't repeat the York incident under Marty.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:08 am

The York incident under Marty?
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:28 am

He was signed over winter for York while Grey was there, scored once for them, then was sacked after being caught playing sunday league with his mates. We were linked with him around that time too.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:08 pm

TKOA-is there no end to your talents?!

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:41 pm

Comparing him to Burn is daft. If it didn't work out then he leaves after the 3 month break and goes back to Iceland.
Burn we are stuck with even when he was offered a very good deal by Whickham.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:19 pm

So it seems as if he wouldn't come to us until the new year? The Icelandic season is May to September and has just finished, they play 22 games. Does that mean he is having 3 months off to recover?

divas

Post by divas » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:56 pm

No it means the FIFA does not permit the deal to happen outside of the transfer window

en passant

Post by en passant » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:58 pm

loan_star wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:41 pm
Comparing him to Burn is daft. If it didn't work out then he leaves after the 3 month break and goes back to Iceland.
I am disappointed that you think that anything in this thread, including my two post, was in any way comparing this lad to Burn other than they were both from this area and that being so is not a really qualification, in itself, for thinking well of someone, which was the only point I was making. And it was meant as a light-hearted comment, not to be taken as seriously as you appear to have done.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:05 pm

divas wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:56 pm
No it means the FIFA does not permit the deal to happen outside of the transfer window
Surprised the transfer window isn't seen as restraint of trade especially in situations like this where seasons don't correspond exactly within the EU area.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:45 pm

en passant wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:58 pm
loan_star wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:41 pm
I am disappointed that you think that anything in this thread, including my two post, was in any way comparing this lad to Burn other than they were both from this area and that being so is not a really qualification, in itself, for thinking well of someone, which was the only point I was making. And it was meant as a light-hearted comment, not to be taken as seriously as you appear to have done.
Just saying that if it did end up being a mistake to sign him, like Burn, we are only committed for 3 months. Wasn't intended as a pop at you.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:49 pm

divas wrote:
Can loan deals not happen outside this window? I thought it was permanent transfers that couldn't happen outside the window

Or could he not be signed on dual registration like Alex Storey is?

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:30 pm

divas wrote:
You sure on this one? I thought that transfer restrictions were entirely a league registration point to be honest?

Glossop North End signed Porya Ahmadi from Aberystwyth Town on Friday I’m not sure how that could be allowed if FIFA weren’t allowing registrations to be transferred at the moment?

If I am not mistaken the only FIFA barrier is you can’t play for more than 3 clubs in a calendar year. If Martin registered with York in 2019 then that is probably the barrier rather than anything else surely?

The transfer window as far as I am aware is not a FIFA construct it is a league registration window which is why PL are out of sync with other leagues in Europe for example.

divas

Post by divas » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:49 pm

York was back in 17/18 bit he has been registered with 3 clubs in 2019 - Lillestrom, Valur and IBV. I always thought it was 3 clubs in a season rather than a calendar year.
Currently, under the FIFA Transfer Regulations, a football player is only allowed to be registered with a maximum of three clubs in one season. This also applies regardless of what country that player has plied his trade in, whether that is in Europe, Africa or South America.

During this period, the player is only eligible to play official matches for two clubs. However, a player may be eligible to play in official matches for a third club during the relevant season if he has moved between two clubs belonging to associations with overlapping seasons (ie, start of the season in summer/autumn as opposed to winter/spring). This is only allowed if he has fully complied with his contractual obligations towards his previous clubs.
As far as I’m aware he’s played for 2 clubs during the current (just finished) Scandinavian season. Based on the second part of the above he would be able to play for a third team in the UK if he had complied with his contractual obligations towards his previous club - it depends what that’s interpreted as. If he’s still under contract with IBV (as I believe he is) then maybe he hasn’t complied with his contractual obligations.

Anyway it’s from the horses mouth that he can’t sign until January.

TKOA

Post by TKOA » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:21 pm

don'tbuythesun wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:08 pm
TKOA-is there no end to your talents?!
😂😂😂

I predict a victory on Saturday, 3-2!

don'tbuythesun