Fans forum needed

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

quakersfan
Team Supported: Darlington

Fans forum needed

Post by quakersfan » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:31 pm

With John Woolnough gone I’ve heard the accounts are looking to be outsourced from Clive Owen who do the current pay role if this is true then it’s worrying as the DFCSG promised a tight hold of all finances as a fan owned club. It would be good to have an update on finances and where DFC are financially as we enter November.

It would be good to have a fans forum update.

theoriginalfatcat

Re: Fans forum needed

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:42 pm

Do you not think D.J. will be keeping a skilled eye over things ? He wasn't shy about taking tough decisions last season.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:49 pm

It might be just me but I'm not really sure what you are suggesting with this post and why it needs a fans forum and what "if true it is worrying" means. And why we need an immediate update on finances.

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:06 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:49 pm
It might be just me but I'm not really sure what you are suggesting with this post and why it needs a fans forum and what "if true it is worrying" means. And why we need an immediate update on finances.
As a fan owned club I feel it’s time for an update as I’ve heard rumours of investment which is great but yet Also heard rumours chair of DFCSG doesn’t want to look after day to day finances which is key as the club apparently is getting in a balanced situation - either way as I’ve put in £8k over 5 years as a fan and share owner me and friends who have also invested wouldn’t mind an update, I don’t think that’s to much to ask.

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:14 pm

quakersfan wrote:
LoidLucan wrote:
As a fan owned club I feel it’s time for an update as I’ve heard rumours of investment which is great but yet Also heard rumours chair of DFCSG doesn’t want to look after day to day finances which is key as the club apparently is getting in a balanced situation - either way as I’ve put in £8k over 5 years as a fan and share owner me and friends who have also invested wouldn’t mind an update, I don’t think that’s to much to ask.
Why don’t you just ask then? Be a lot quicker than waiting for a fans forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:38 pm

m62exile wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:14 pm
quakersfan wrote:
LoidLucan wrote:
Why don’t you just ask then? Be a lot quicker than waiting for a fans forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have asked board members Rob, Neil & Joe Peacock but it’s not their decision but they will pass request on!!!
TBH not sure whose decision it is to hold one.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:47 pm

So confused by this...do we need a fans forum every time you hear a rumour?

What exactly is the 'accounts' action you are concerned about. Nothing you have said indicates any less oversight of financial position by DFCSG.

All it reads at worst case is we are getting someone else to produce our annual financial statements, which as far as I am aware is already done externally.

Strategic decisions is what matters and that won't be leaving the board.

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:13 am

Well if not a fans forum then perhaps a podcast to update us on finances, board replacements for John Woolnough and any update on Arena/ Blackwell it’s a while since we had one.

mikkyx
Site Admin

Post by mikkyx » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:07 am

quakersfan wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:13 am
Well if not a fans forum then perhaps a podcast to update us on finances, board replacements for John Woolnough and any update on Arena/ Blackwell it’s a while since we had one.
You mean like the 15 minute catch up with David Johnston in the episode we released yesterday, then? https://darlofansradio.simplecast.com/e ... tober-2019
Darlo Uncovered flux capacitor maintainer-in-chief
Darlo Fans Radio | Official Website

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:14 am

mikkyx wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:07 am
quakersfan wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:13 am
You mean like the 15 minute catch up with David Johnston in the episode we released yesterday, then? https://darlofansradio.simplecast.com/e ... tober-2019
Haha I should pay attention, I’m to excited about Saturday - I’ll take a listen thanks

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:16 am

If we're financially stable then a reputable company like Clive Owen who already run the payroll might be the best way forward and using their knowledge might save us some money along the way. I'm personally more interested in Craig Morley's input and looking forward to seeing if he's brought in more than we pay him. Not a criticism of him at all. I think that DJ has been up front with us and there is confidence in him. Rumours are rumours, give me facts.

divas

Post by divas » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:29 am

AGM won’t be a million miles away, I’d expect that to be the correct forum to share a financial update

spen666

Post by spen666 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:36 am

quakersfan wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:31 pm
With John Woolnough gone I’ve heard the accounts are looking to be outsourced from Clive Owen who do the current pay role if this is true then it’s worrying as the DFCSG promised a tight hold of all finances as a fan owned club. It would be good to have an update on finances and where DFC are financially as we enter November.

Not sure what you are saying re finances and out sourcing

1. Pay roll - its not unusual for a small employer like a football club to get another business with a pay roll department to do its pay roll. To employ the necessary qualified people to do the pay roll would be more costly than to get an external business to do it for you. Its something that happens very commonly. Indeed, even at governmental level, government agencies often contract out their pay roll to a different department to save costs. For a business that essentially employs part time staff this is cost effective

2. Accounts - Not sure what you mean by accounts being outsourced. I am guessing that you mean the book keeping, i.e. writing up the records of the business. For a small business, like a semi-professional football club it is not likely to be cost efficient to employ in house a book keeper. If there is no volunteer with sufficient time and skills to do the work, then contracting out the book keeping is sensible. The annual end of year accounts should ( and I emphasise should) be a simple process if the relevant book keeping records are up to date and appropriate nominal ledgers maintained.

Also, do you want DJ to be dealing with running the club or spending his time responding to people who claim to have heard rumours? It is correct that it is a fan owned club i.e. the fans are the share holders, but all limited companies are owned by shareholders. You don't get Tescos for example holding shareholder meetings every time there is a rumour. They hold AGMs when the board (who are tasked with the day to day running of the business) can be held to account. It is also possible to call an EGM if necessary.

The club are having their best season for a long time, potentially 90 minutes away from reaching the FA Cup 1st round for the first time in 8 years. Doing reasonably well in the NLN and seemingly moving on unwanted / unneeded playing staff.

What do you want the club to say? everything is fine?

JasonDeVos

Post by JasonDeVos » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:23 am

spen666 wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:36 am
quakersfan wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:31 pm

Not sure what you are saying re finances and out sourcing

1. Pay roll - its not unusual for a small employer like a football club to get another business with a pay roll department to do its pay roll. To employ the necessary qualified people to do the pay roll would be more costly than to get an external business to do it for you. Its something that happens very commonly. Indeed, even at governmental level, government agencies often contract out their pay roll to a different department to save costs. For a business that essentially employs part time staff this is cost effective

2. Accounts - Not sure what you mean by accounts being outsourced. I am guessing that you mean the book keeping, i.e. writing up the records of the business. For a small business, like a semi-professional football club it is not likely to be cost efficient to employ in house a book keeper. If there is no volunteer with sufficient time and skills to do the work, then contracting out the book keeping is sensible. The annual end of year accounts should ( and I emphasise should) be a simple process if the relevant book keeping records are up to date and appropriate nominal ledgers maintained.

Also, do you want DJ to be dealing with running the club or spending his time responding to people who claim to have heard rumours? It is correct that it is a fan owned club i.e. the fans are the share holders, but all limited companies are owned by shareholders. You don't get Tescos for example holding shareholder meetings every time there is a rumour. They hold AGMs when the board (who are tasked with the day to day running of the business) can be held to account. It is also possible to call an EGM if necessary.

The club are having their best season for a long time, potentially 90 minutes away from reaching the FA Cup 1st round for the first time in 8 years. Doing reasonably well in the NLN and seemingly moving on unwanted / unneeded playing staff.

What do you want the club to say? everything is fine?

It’s a first - I agree with Spen......

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:24 am

don'tbuythesun wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:16 am
If we're financially stable then a reputable company like Clive Owen who already run the payroll might be the best way forward and using their knowledge might save us some money along the way. I'm personally more interested in Craig Morley's input and looking forward to seeing if he's brought in more than we pay him. Not a criticism of him at all. I think that DJ has been up front with us and there is confidence in him. Rumours are rumours, give me facts.
Hold my hand up rumour was after several pints and on reflection I’m not sure individual was correct I’ll catch with him at Tamworth tomorrow. Good podcast by DJ so faith has been restored.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:17 pm

Fair enough. Enjoy the game- I'll be listening in Zante.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:44 pm

Quakersfan ,please think long and hard before posting on spurious drink fuelled rumours .
It only creates something from nothing. People then start wondering what is happening, when in fact there is nothing for anyone to be concerned about.
The board will convene a meeting when they have all the information that they need to convey to the owners ie the fans if and when they need to.
In the board we trust , our board is of exceptional quality we are lucky to have really good men in place.
As for the question about mr Morley's input i suggest people open their eyes it's plain to see how much advertising space has been taken up since he came to the club ,people need to stop rocking the boat for no reason, seems we do well and some have to set something away because there's nothing being said. Crazy ,i just don't understand why???

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:53 pm

I didn’t mention anything about Craig, personally I think he’s doing a great job you only have to look around the ground in terms of advertising and as a user of hospitality it’s really improved and I wish more would use it.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:26 pm

Onewayup- I asked the question about Craig and it was a passive one asking if it was successful. I said this was "not a criticism at all".

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:11 pm

To be honest Clive Owen are a well respected firm of accountants and I doubt they will be charging the earth - the main thing is that the cashflow is managed and that we keep within the budget.
I don't see John Woolnough going as any issue - I think more than likely he was spending too much time involved with the club as a volunteer which ultimately gets in the way of your bread and butter. He still seems to be involved a lot on social media and is obviously a fan but wants to keep it to his spare time.
Things are as settled as they have been for a long time and I doubt there has been much movement over the ground issue.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:48 am

don'tbuythesun wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:26 pm
Onewayup- I asked the question about Craig and it was a passive one asking if it was successful. I said this was "not a criticism at all".
Think it's a fair question on Craig Morley which I don't expect us to get a full appraisal on his performance but a general idea on commercial performance.

Just because we have lots of sponsorship boards doesn't mean we made lots of extra commercial cash, they have costs and a lot were paid for towards the end of last season and most of those will have paid for this season as well.

The Commercial Director role is a long-term plan, so even if Morley is treading water covering or just about covering his wage in the first year/two year isn't a disaster. The thing we need to see is progressive increase in revenue and profit from this area and a reengagement with the business community.

I am more than happy to give the club and Craig time to build the Commercial base, even if I would question some decisions such as the increase in cost of hospitality. With a caveat of I haven't seen the P&L/Revenue predictions of the old/new price which the club hopefully had available when making the decision.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:27 am

Craig said that profit is much up on hospitality despite numbers being less.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:17 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:27 am
Craig said that profit is much up on hospitality despite numbers being less.
Seems good news and heard it mentioned this weekend.

Not sure I totally agree with pricing it higher, however if you are looking at it from revenue/P&L and the increase has done the job for profitability then it's hard to argue. Be one to keep an eye on though for Craig, heard good and bad reviews this season from hospitality with the latest review being very good in regards to the food.