Liam Connell - Boost the Budget

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Ghost_Of_1883
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Liam Connell - Boost the Budget

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:27 pm

A reasonable fee is fuck all, for a 33 year old who is out of contract in 5 months.

If Shields won't extend his loan, or let us sign him for nowt - then they can go and fuck themselves and we'll go back in for him at the end of the season.

Obviously I'd like us to sign Connell, but to be fair Elliott was doing OK anyway.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:43 pm

Just been reading that Shields' other young keeper has been playing for Whickham on dual registration so maybe they want Connell back for bench duty in case the Blackpool lad gets crocked.

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:37 pm

LoidLucan wrote:Just been reading that Shields' other young keeper has been playing for Whickham on dual registration so maybe they want Connell back for bench duty in case the Blackpool lad gets crocked.
Played 3 times for Stockton this season and he was very good indeed (Ross Coombes) is his name. Bizarre how they have all these excellent keepers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H1987

Post by H1987 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:49 pm

Agree with that. As much as he's been very impressive, he's 33, out of contract soon, and never played at this level (as far as i can see). He's worth next to no fee. There's absolutely no way i'd be offering anything other than a token contribution to South Shields. If they want to try and play hard ball, let them. It serves no purpose. No one else is going to be in for him. It's Connell i feel sorry for in such a situation. He just wants to play. Same as Jameson when he left us.

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:16 pm

If we wait until the end of the season we might not even need him as way may have found another gem by then. Liam knows that this needs sorting in the next couple of weeks otherwise football moves on. I can’t see any harm in him signing for another month with an emergency call back.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:07 pm

When he joined Whickham on loan in September the boss there (who incidentally resigned today) said at the time: "Hopefully, Liam may agree to a permanent deal." By the way, Connell is now 34.... just recently celebrated his birthday.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:19 pm

LoidLucan wrote:When he joined Whickham on loan in September the boss there (who incidentally resigned today) said at the time: "Hopefully, Liam may agree to a permanent deal." By the way, Connell is now 34.... just recently celebrated his birthday.
Seems to have fallen apart at Whickham, got hammered at home the other night, not sure if Burn played but not looking like a great move on his part.Never mind

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:32 pm

Yes Burn was again at the heart of the Whickham defence for the 4-1 home hammering by Billingham Town... Harry will be along in a
minute :D

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:32 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:27 pm
A reasonable fee is fuck all, for a 33 year old who is out of contract in 5 months.

If Shields won't extend his loan, or let us sign him for nowt - then they can go and fuck themselves and we'll go back in for him at the end of the season.

Obviously I'd like us to sign Connell, but to be fair Elliott was doing OK anyway.
Elliott was not really doing great prior to Connell’s arrival and everyone has now seen the impact which a good goalkeeper can have at this level.

Alun had a great one at Blyth in Jameson and he won them points across the season (similar to how Connell has done for us).

If we can’t secure LC permanently then we should be looking elsewhere for another goalkeeper.

Darlo_CR

Post by Darlo_CR » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:32 am

He’s been given the green light to play on Saturday as his loan hasn’t finished yet!

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:48 am

Darlofan97 wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:32 pm
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:

Elliott was not really doing great prior to Connell’s arrival and everyone has now seen the impact which a good goalkeeper can have at this level.

Alun had a great one at Blyth in Jameson and he won them points across the season (similar to how Connell has done for us).

If we can’t secure LC permanently then we should be looking elsewhere for another goalkeeper.
Have I missed something? Was Elliott that much of a liability we have to replace him, or a la Jameson are we overplaying his faults?

en passant

Post by en passant » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:50 am

Darlofan97 wrote:
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:

Although Connell has been excellent for the 4 games he has played it is worth noting that this means that the start of our 6 game winning streak was with Elliott playing between the sticks.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:54 am

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:48 am
Darlofan97 wrote:
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:

Have I missed something? Was Elliott that much of a liability we have to replace him, or a la Jameson are we overplaying his faults?
Elliott wasn't really a liability, i don't think. Elliott was carrying an injury at the time of the Leamington game, and with no notable backup we turned to the loan market... and it just turns out that Connell is much better. I'd like us to keep him, but Shields need to be realistic about what a 34 year old keeper is worth at this level.

I think extending his loan for the moment is probably a good solution for all parties, and gives time for us to come to a more permanent solution rather than rushing to find extra funds we shouldn't really use. Very happy he can play on Saturday though.
Last edited by H1987 on Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:01 am

Anyone know how many games we have him for?
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:10 am

The only thing I can think of is as he was signed on the 3 of October his months loan run out after Saturday.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:45 am

Darlopartisan wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:10 am
The only thing I can think of is as he was signed on the 3 of October his months loan run out after Saturday.
Official site advised on the 4th October he had signed for a month loan, so available until 3rd November.

However he only signed for 28 day loan to Whickham, so for Darlo did he sign 28 day, 30 day or a calendar month. Either way he is available for Saturday, which will be his last game.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:46 am

So at the moment no one is willing to pay a fee for Connell, anyone want to start the bidding on a fee they would be willing to pay?

Someone must have a number in mind, seen plenty on Twitter wanting to crowd fund the fee.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:25 pm

On the official website 'Discussions are ongoing' so I think the bidding has been started by us.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:28 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:25 pm
On the official website 'Discussions are ongoing' so I think the bidding has been started by us.
Discussions have been ongoing for a while, we are going to have to pay something just by all accounts the Shields valuation isn't inline with our valuation.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:52 pm

If we hadn't entered the equation I could easily have seen a scenario in which Connell ended up staying at Whickham on an extended loan or even a permanent transfer (without much - or anything - by way of a fee). But I guess now it's a case of supply and demand.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:25 pm

I bet Connell is getting cheesed off. He’s successfully proved himself to a club and it’s fans in a higher division - yet the club who don’t wish to play him seem to be making it tricky for him to move on.

Let’s hope a reasonable fee is agreed soon, and it shouldn’t be much either. We are by no means made of money and other options will always be available.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:05 pm

I love it as we are willing to spend money on a player that we can get for free in 8 months time and we have a capable keeper in Elliot?? And of course he is a very good keeper and wouldn't mind if we got him obviously but let's not get held to ransom that's all I'm saying.. Its no where near a negative comment I'm just been realistic

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:13 pm

en passant wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:50 am
Darlofan97 wrote:
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:

Although Connell has been excellent for the 4 games he has played it is worth noting that this means that the start of our 6 game winning streak was with Elliott playing between the sticks.
Can twist it how you like, Elliott also conceded in both games whereas Connell has 3 clean sheets in 4.

Elliott wasn’t great before LC came in, he struggles to command his area and any meaningful attempt causes him problems more often than not.

People may say I’m being overly-critical, but he was the same at Alfreton (4 clean sheets in 33 games). Beaten too easily this season against York (x2), Gloucester, Altrincham etc.

Good goalkeepers that save you points are worth their weight in gold at this level.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:09 pm

Hoping that this is mainly a bit of posturing by Shields.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:33 pm

It all seems to be pointing towards this eventually getting over the line hopefully.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:09 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:13 pm
Good goalkeepers that save you points are worth their weight in gold at this level.

Rough calculation.

Todays Gold price £37,619 per KG
Connell, minimum weight 13 Stone (82.5KG)
82.5 X £37,619

= £3,103,567.50

That could be our opening offer.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:14 am

Darlofan97 wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:13 pm
en passant wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:50 am
Darlofan97 wrote:
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:

Can twist it how you like, Elliott also conceded in both games whereas Connell has 3 clean sheets in 4.

Elliott wasn’t great before LC came in, he struggles to command his area and any meaningful attempt causes him problems more often than not.

People may say I’m being overly-critical, but he was the same at Alfreton (4 clean sheets in 33 games). Beaten too easily this season against York (x2), Gloucester, Altrincham etc.

Eliott's obviously not in your good books. Doesn't get the famous Darlofan nickname, unlike LC!

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:41 am

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:48 am
Darlofan97 wrote:
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:

I agree with Harry, Elliott didn't do too badly and now he suddenly is the Anti-Keeper?

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:49 am

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:46 am
So at the moment no one is willing to pay a fee for Connell, anyone want to start the bidding on a fee they would be willing to pay?

Someone must have a number in mind, seen plenty on Twitter wanting to crowd fund the fee.
See this pisses me off.

Twitter is full of people getting carried away and wanting to raise money to pay for this, wanting to raise money to pay for that. I wonder how many of them even regularly go to matches?

Crowdfunding a transfer fee for Connell is nonsense, we already crowdfund the club let's not forget.

Regarding his fee, as well as he's done, Connell is not worth a fee as such. He's 34 years old, spent the majority of his career in the home in time for tea league, and is out of contract at the end of the season.

IF we do pay some sort of fee, then the club is going to have to fund it.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:06 am

Some of the posts on here and on Facebook are a bit OTT, would be great to sign Liam for a nominal fee but If SS are talking silly money then it's a no go and Elliott comes back in, simple as that and make the signing at no cost to us in the close season.Elliott is not as bad as some people are making out but some of the criticism is a bit uncalled for in my opinion.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk