Walsall V Darlington FA Cup First Round Proper

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

LoidLucan
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Walsall V Darlington FA Cup First Round Proper

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:22 am

Walsall look a club in disarray. You've got a manager who frequently blasts his players in public and spats between players and fans. Clarke, if he stays in charge, has a monumental task on his hands in both league and the cup replay when our ground will be bouncing with players, management and fans united.

Magical Quakers

Post by Magical Quakers » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:23 am

In previous seasons the replays only got 50% of the tv money. Not sure if that is still the case, or why it is the case.

tezza

Post by tezza » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:24 am

On a technical note, should we be fortunate to be chosen for TV coverage of the replay, where would the BBC actually film from. My guess is the balcony, which surely would affect hospitality, or would they perhaps erect a scaffold presumably along the seated 66 side.?

On the game, what a performance and result.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:35 am

tezza wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:24 am
On a technical note, should we be fortunate to be chosen for TV coverage of the replay, where would the BBC actually film from. My guess is the balcony, which surely would affect hospitality, or would they perhaps erect a scaffold presumably along the seated 66 side.?

On the game, what a performance and result.
I should imagine they would put some scaffolding up somewhere. Heck, even if it's 37.5k instead, that's big money to us. Stick it in the ground development pot, i'm hopeful this won't be the last big crowd we see soon. We're on the up :thumbup:

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:39 am

I'd think they'd erect a commentary box, just to the left of the clubhouse, where the beer garden is. If they do it on the balcony, I hope they pay extra for all the hospitality places they take!! Just looked through today's fixtures & there are 4 non-league sides playing away at league sides.

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:52 am

They might use those adapted vans that have the platform that can raised up (not sure what they call them), like you at horse racing .
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

karlo-cardiff

Post by karlo-cardiff » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:02 pm

I think any televised replay is worth about 36k...still a nice amount if were chosen which i think we will be.. Only non league side so far to come close to a shock

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:26 pm

It will certainly make a huge dent in the debt and outstanding loans. Plus if we win reply it could be another bumper pay day which will be superb for the club finances finally putting us on an even keel.

Darlo_Dan

Post by Darlo_Dan » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:32 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbZQkr5gPpY&t=5m40s

5.40 - equaliser viewed from the home end. Amazing scenes :D

Darlo Dodger

Post by Darlo Dodger » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:37 pm

As a slight aside to the main gist of this thread I had a look at a young Walsall supporter’s vlog on YouTube. Those of us who were there know how much noise the Darlo supporters made (I am one of the not so vocal older supporters but almost lost my voice yesterday and even now have a slightly sore throat) but this vlog shows just how impressive the Darlo support looked, and more importantly, sounded like from the Walsall end.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=

Football really can take supporters on an emotional rollercoaster but it is a long time since I’ve been so up, down, then back up again in such a short space of time.
Astonishing game
Astonishing never say die attitude from the players and
Amazing support

Magical Quakers

Post by Magical Quakers » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:53 pm

Darlo Dodger wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:37 pm
As a slight aside to the main gist of this thread I had a look at a young Walsall supporter’s vlog on YouTube. Those of us who were there know how much noise the Darlo supporters made (I am one of the not so vocal older supporters but almost lost my voice yesterday and even now have a slightly sore throat) but this vlog shows just how impressive the Darlo support looked, and more importantly, sounded like from the Walsall end.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=

Football really can take supporters on an emotional rollercoaster but it is a long time since I’ve been so up, down, then back up again in such a short space of time.
Astonishing game
Astonishing never say die attitude from the players and
Amazing support
Think you missed the end part of the link when you posted it.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:06 pm

Great commentary from the Fans Radio lads on the Darlo highlights. Absolutely mental when that equaliser went in... no voices left today, I think. From "It's all in tatters for the Quakers here" at 2-1 to "This the last chance saloon..... YEEEEAAAAHHHHSSSS... it's in, the Quakers have equalised, I've no idea who it was but I don't care" within a few glorious minutes of FA Cup magic. Brilliant stuff.
Last edited by LoidLucan on Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:13 pm

Good chance Malden & Tiptree could have a replay v Leyton Orient which wouldn’t be good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dsr

Post by dsr » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:29 pm

Quaker85 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:13 pm
Good chance Malden & Tiptree could have a replay v Leyton Orient which wouldn’t be good
Or they could beat them! 1-2 to M & T with 10 minutes to go.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:44 pm

I think its a straight choice between Bromley v Bristol Rovers and our game.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:46 pm

Yarblockos wrote:I think its a straight choice between Bromley v Bristol Rovers and our game.
Agree, but could well be 2 games shown, one on BBC and the other on BT Sport's.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Beano

Post by Beano » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:46 pm

Yarblockos wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:44 pm
I think its a straight choice between Bromley v Bristol Rovers and our game.
If BBC and BT Sport both show a replay, we must be nailed on, surely?!

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:48 pm

If Bromley replay Tuesday and us wed then both should stand a chance of tv coverage

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:52 pm

Think 3 replays are shown. Bromley definitely, just cos they're southern, but given the results today we have a really good chance. Like AA don't know whether to be happy or sad. If we get on TV then that'll definitely mitigate it.

TKOA

Post by TKOA » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:57 pm

I could see BBC or BT showing Lincoln v Ipswich as well.

50 years

Post by 50 years » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:58 pm

I could not make the game yesterday (there were 3 others at the do I was at who also would have normally been there ) so listened to it on the radio, was so proud of that team and fantastic support from the fans. What a difference the management team have made, (I was one who would have given TW longer in charge and as I have told a few people I would have been wrong).

The BBC may have blamed Connell for the goals but looking at the goals (on highlights and the blog) on the first goal the ball bounced in front of connell so parry was all he could do, but no defender went with the forward who was totally unmarked. On the second it looks like the ball across was a cracker and difficult decision for connell to catch and possibly land over the line or punch, and looks like he was caught in 2 minds (split second decision making), and tried to push ball out but right under the bar. So don't totally blame him for the first as defenders should have been there to support him and the second an understandable mistake at this level from a keeper who has proved he is excellent at this level.
Made it a fantastic match to listen to and nearly hit my head on the ceiling jumping up when the equaliser went in.
Magnificent set of players every one of them.

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:23 pm

TKOA wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:57 pm
I could see BBC or BT showing Lincoln v Ipswich as well.
Two teams from the same division? Not BBC's usual format.

Blackwell64

Post by Blackwell64 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:28 pm

Have to disagree regarding the two goals,

First was difficult due to the bounce, but you should ought to push those round the post or anywhere else apart from to their player. Defence not blameless by any means, but I’d say unless your physically goal side it’s hard to anticipate your keeper to spill the shot into the middle.

Second I reckon only happened because of the nerves by the first goal, remember it’s a big stage that most are not used to bar one or two of our players like rivers or Hatfield. His footwork and positioning made him approach it from in front rather than his goal line, so instead of a spill moving forwards it went backwards into the net.

Then again that’s out of context.

In context, made 2 great saves including just before the second goal, he’s done very good in the last 3-4 games, and he didn’t train with the team mid-week. Liam has done fantastically well in his spell with us, and pretty much everyone knows how quality he is. I fully expect him to play a blinder in the replay.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:37 pm

Wouldn't it just typify Liam if, by making a mistake meaning we draw rather than win, we actually make more money than going straight through if we happen to be on TV. That really would mean everything he touched turning to gold.

Sussex07

Post by Sussex07 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:13 pm

Must have watched the highlights about 15 times now..Great buzz this weekend and there's more to come..Happy Days!!

50 years

Post by 50 years » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:19 pm

We clearly have different views of the goal blackwell 64, saying that my eye sight is not brilliant🤓😁. First goal to me looked like connell tried to catch ball, but bounce made it hit his hand rather than him deliberatley push it out, and second I thought it looked like the ball went forward into the goal not backwards. That is the fantastic thing about football we can all view things differently and all think we are right.
At least we agree he is a great keeper👍

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:27 pm

Even VAR can`t get everything right so what chance do normal fans have to agree LOL!

Blackwell64

Post by Blackwell64 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:32 pm

50 years wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:19 pm
We clearly have different views of the goal blackwell 64, saying that my eye sight is not brilliant🤓😁. First goal to me looked like connell tried to catch ball, but bounce made it hit his hand rather than him deliberatley push it out, and second I thought it looked like the ball went forward into the goal not backwards. That is the fantastic thing about football we can all view things differently and all think we are right.
At least we agree he is a great keeper👍
Aye agreed, different viewpoints not a bad thing at all. Second goal possibly deceived by the curl? Easier to see on the Walsall fc supporter video : https://youtu.be/xbZQkr5gPpY?t=292

Agreed. Anyway onwards and upwards, the day will go down in folklore. Incredible heart shown. If anyone had said to me a year ago that this would happen.... never in a million years.

Hats off to Armstrong. :clap:

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:32 pm

Watching their first goal again, and at the moment the ball it struck is the goalscorer not offside?

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:43 pm

I've been watching the replays of the game & we played some excellent football. The build up to the first goal was fantastic & was at a level that you would normally expect a Conference North side to play. Despite the weather, the pitch was excellent & it contributed to the overall entertainment of the game.