Tough one to call....Wednesday's game

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

GBH
Team Supported: Darlington

Tough one to call....Wednesday's game

Post by GBH » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:52 pm

Up until yesterday I was hopeful of a good result but watching us against brackley my feeling of optimism began to evaporate like AA said "you can't turn form on like a tap" hopeful the full house and been on tv will drive the lads to a winning result whatever the outcome as long as we the fans and the lads give it their all I think we will win.

Vodka_Vic

Re: Tough one to call....Wednesday's game

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:58 pm

Totally different on Wednesday. Everyone had the post-Walsall blues yesterday and it was a surreal atmosphere. Players were quite understandably half-hearted. When the atmosphere is cranked up again on Weds they'll revert to big match form.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:06 pm

Even with home advantage we are still very much underdogs but think our lads will give their all. Let’s give them the same level of support as the first game and see what happens.Even if we do lose let’s be proud of what we have achieved and remember this is another chapter in our evolution.The journey continues.

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:51 pm

I agree with Old Git on this as the balance of expectation seems to be moving Walsall's way. This may suit us as 'underdogs' but it may be to do with Saturdays game - which I didn't see - when - 'Players were quite understandably half-hearted. When the atmosphere is cranked up again on Weds they'll revert to big match form.' Taking a hell of a beating generally deflates footballers and as our manager says you can't turn form on like a tap. It's really down to the full-time professionalism against plucky part-timers, would Walsall fans give the team some slack for a half-hearted performance? They'll be confident coming to us because they know we'll tire as we did in the first leg and if they play that striker again he'll have a point to prove. It's tough because we deserved to win at their place. Lets hope for a visit from the ghost of Ron Harbertson.

FozzQuaker

Post by FozzQuaker » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:21 pm

I had a dream last night that the match ended 2-2, we went 3-2 down in extra time and Thommo hit a brace in extra time, one being similar to Joe Wheatley, scoring with one of the last kicks of the game, to win 4-3 and take the record in the process...

I can only live in hope I guess

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Mister e

Post by Mister e » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:19 am

Although naturally I want us to win on Wednesday I hope we also take Saturdays game against Gainsborough trinity just has seriously after all we have an outside chance of winning the fa trophy we have no chance of winning the fa cup.

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:35 am

Mister e wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:19 am
Although naturally I want us to win on Wednesday I hope we also take Saturdays game against Gainsborough trinity just has seriously after all we have an outside chance of winning the fa trophy we have no chance of winning the fa cup.
Plus the prize money on offer, although not as rewarding, can still boost the finances of the club and there is the chance of drawing a bigger Conference National side at home or Hartlepool...

As for the Walsall game I too had quite a vivid dream that we somehow won 2-0, we scored just before halftime with a goalkeeper howler and then caught them on the counter attack in the 2nd half and saw out the game. Anyway, whatever happens we have to appreciate the fact that we have managed a long and overdue cup run and if ends here so be it, as stated we can then target the FA Trophy and look at trying to pursue the chasing pack in midtable and maybe an outside chance of a playoff spot in the league. Remembering that this is only just the beginning of the AA revolution. :thumbup:
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:57 am

Mister e wrote:
Although we have no chance of winning the F.A. cup we do have a remote chance of winning substancial funding for a new ground. Just need to win Wednesday beat Oxford and draw Man Utd in round 3.
Agree that a good run in the trophy would be welcome, with the extra funds generated. Who knows all this seasons additional revenue might help to lure Maguire away from York.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:20 am

£36K for winning and a possible 75K for a live game in the next round. A win could be worth 120K for us. I think it's pretty important.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:30 am

We're not on TV in the next round, the games have already been chosen.

Still, 36k and a sell out at home to Oxford aren't to be sniffed at.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:39 am

Can anyone predict the team and subs?
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:22 am

H1987 wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:30 am

We weren't on TV in this round, util the 96th minute goal at Walsall :roll:

FozzQuaker

Post by FozzQuaker » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:44 am

real_darlo_85 wrote:
Mister e wrote:
Plus the prize money on offer, although not as rewarding, can still boost the finances of the club and there is the chance of drawing a bigger Conference National side at home or Hartlepool...

As for the Walsall game I too had quite a vivid dream that we somehow won 2-0, we scored just before halftime with a goalkeeper howler and then caught them on the counter attack in the 2nd half and saw out the game. Anyway, whatever happens we have to appreciate the fact that we have managed a long and overdue cup run and if ends here so be it, as stated we can then target the FA Trophy and look at trying to pursue the chasing pack in midtable and maybe an outside chance of a playoff spot in the league. Remembering that this is only just the beginning of the AA revolution. Image
What you said Image

I will take the result of your vivid over mine, a fiver on 2-0 and a Single, Solitary Pound on my 4-3 and Thommo sounds canny to me

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

MKDarlo

Post by MKDarlo » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:12 pm

We should get absolutely murdered on Wednesday. Should. We have done well and gain lots of money for this run. That is the important thing for me We might get lucky mind..................

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:15 pm

Well, we didn't get "absolutely murdered" down there! I dreamt 1-0 with Thommo scoring-must be playing on our minds.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:29 pm

MKDarlo wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:12 pm
We should get absolutely murdered on Wednesday. Should. We have done well and gain lots of money for this run. That is the important thing for me We might get lucky mind..................
I expect them to have the edge on us but murdered seems a bit strong.

Fitness wise they will certainly have the edge on us, but when it comes to technical ability and experience there should be less in it.

Conceivably many of our players salaries (job + football) will be greater than their counterparts on Wednesday - they reason they are not professional players isn't always necessarily down to ability.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:00 pm

They also have a big squad with lots of options should they need to use them.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:11 pm

joejaques wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:22 am
H1987 wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:30 am

We weren't on TV in this round, util the 96th minute goal at Walsall :roll:
Well, even if the situation were to repeat itself, we wouldn't be getting the 70k he's talking about because the money for replays is lower. :roll:

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:25 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:00 pm
They also have a big squad with lots of options should they need to use them.
It may be a big squad but little evidence to suggest it is a strong one. Of course may be too strong for us on the night but 11 v 11 on the pitch and if they are not 100% on their game we can still upset them.
Last edited by Old Git on Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DL5

Post by DL5 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:36 pm

It's amazing how things have shifted since we played the first tie, Walsall had lost 6 on the bounce, we were coming off a similar winning streak then suddenly we're down to the bones and got a spanking at Brackley whilst they mullered Forest Green (ok it was a cup) and had a good win against Cambridge.

I'm less hopeful for this than the first tie but hopefully AA will have them focused and fired up, it's the cup after all.

GBH

Post by GBH » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:00 pm

In the 1st game they had 2/3 almost open goal chances....hopefully they'll wear the same boots.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:49 pm

GBH wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:00 pm
In the 1st game they had 2/3 almost open goal chances....hopefully they'll wear the same boots.
the 2 strikers for Walsall have both been benched. New duo to contend with. Number 25 Macdonald who came on after 20 (and was the best player on the pitch after that) has been starting. Completely different set up to contend with tonight