Gates

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

MB86DFC
Team Supported: Darlington

Gates

Post by MB86DFC » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:15 am

What time do the gates open tomorrow night? Want to get in for a pint before the rush!

divas

Re: Gates

Post by divas » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:25 am

6:15

divas

Post by divas » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:26 am

Please please please come down early. We’ve got to try and get all home fans thru 4 turnstiles

MB86DFC

Post by MB86DFC » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:52 am

divas wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:25 am
6:15
Thanks

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:21 am

I'm sure with it being all ticket, fan will pass through the turnstiles a lot quicker than normal. But you'll always get the late rush of fan coming through the turnstiles. one things for sure the kick-off won't be delayed this time!!

divas

Post by divas » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:49 am

There’s also 4 times the usual amount per turnstile to deal with. It still takes time to scan and process fans. If people turn up after 7:30 they risk not seeing kick off

GBH

Post by GBH » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:32 am

Also after the flares at Walsall I suspect there will be some pat downs required

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:35 pm

Will be a big test tomorrow night in more than just on the pitch. The infrastructure at Blackwell Meadows will be severely tested.Lets hope the experience for fans has improved since the Halifax game nearly 3 years ago.If floating fans do not have a good experience many will not return.To some extent it may have a bearing on the club’s future moving forward.If Blackwell cannot cope tomorrow night it may call into question the wisdom of trying to develop it further. I personally am not a fan of the Arena but we know it can cope with crowds of 3,000+ and at some point we may have to make a decision on our long term future if we have hopes of ever returning to the Football League.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:51 pm

Old Git wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:35 pm
Will be a big test tomorrow night in more than just on the pitch. The infrastructure at Blackwell Meadows will be severely tested.Lets hope the experience for fans has improved since the Halifax game nearly 3 years ago.If floating fans do not have a good experience many will not return.To some extent it may have a bearing on the club’s future moving forward.If Blackwell cannot cope tomorrow night it may call into question the wisdom of trying to develop it further. I personally am not a fan of the Arena but we know it can cope with crowds of 3,000+ and at some point we may have to make a decision on our long term future if we have hopes of ever returning to the Football League.
Eh? It not being able to cope is exactly why you *would* develop it further... if it struggles, it means that what is there is insufficient. Which we all know, realistically, is the case for a capacity crowd. That said, it coped with well over 2k for the York game absolutely fine. I don't see why 2.9k ish tomorrow would be disastrous, beyond some extra queues for toilets, food and beers.

A terrace at the open end, and appropriate facilities for it is entirely realistic, not too expensive, and could take the capacity up to 4,000. Enough for the conference national. That is our immediate target.

The arena nearly killed this club three times over. We won't be troubling the football league any time soon, regardless of what happens tomorrow night. Anyone who seriously thinks going back to the white elephant is a good idea needs their head checking.

I'm stuck with the TV tomorrow night, but get down early, go for a leak in good time before the game or on the stroke of half time, and you'll be absolutely fine. If you turn up 5 minutes before kick off expecting a beer, a leak, a pie, and a good view, then it's your own fault when you get none of those things I reckon.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:20 pm

The arena nearly killed this club three times over. We won't be troubling the football league any time soon, regardless of what happens tomorrow night. Anyone who seriously thinks going back to the white elephant is a good idea needs their head checking.
[/quote]

I have yet to see any definitive proof the Arena caused our downfall.
An idiot built it.
Someone who saw it as a cash cow took it on.
Davies did OK.
A fruit loop did his best to kill the club off.

When built inferior metal was used meaning a 10 yearly check. Cost of last 1 100 grand, 10 grand a year. Not insurmountable.
It would be far cheaper (if we could get hold of it for anywhere near the price the RFC payed), to buy the ground and downscale rather than buy land and start again.

Not saying I like that option, simply that I keep hearing it cost money but with little evidence to back that up.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:46 pm

The problem you have there is that Mowden own the ground and they are going to give up that ownership to the Sporting Village in theory, so it's not for sale, although we can rent the pitch if we want - which under current circs doesn't work for us long term either.

Then throw in the fact the current situation doesn't work for us long term either.....

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:13 pm

Lets just see how tomorrow night goes and we may be in a position to assess what we need going forward is what I am saying.H1987 says a new terrace at the open end is entirely realistic but is it with the issue of the water pipe?
He is also right we are not threatening the Football League league anytime soon but the point is we will need to make a decision that is for the long term future of the club so it needs to be done correctly .

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:11 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:46 pm
The problem you have there is that Mowden own the ground and they are going to give up that ownership to the Sporting Village in theory, so it's not for sale, although we can rent the pitch if we want - which under current circs doesn't work for us long term either.

Then throw in the fact the current situation doesn't work for us long term either.....
Les, If that was aimed at me I am not advocating going back simply the fact I keep on reading that the arena broke the club. It didn't. People with agendas did.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:21 pm

Old Git wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:13 pm
Lets just see how tomorrow night goes and we may be in a position to assess what we need going forward is what I am saying.H1987 says a new terrace at the open end is entirely realistic but is it with the issue of the water pipe?
He is also right we are not threatening the Football League league anytime soon but the point is we will need to make a decision that is for the long term future of the club so it needs to be done correctly .
Without knocking anyone who has been involved with the club since 2012 we have been run on a short term basis ever since. We either decide once and for all to stay exactly as we are knowing the limitations that brings, ie stay put at BM and stay at roundabout this level or look to move on with the aim of returning to higher grade football. Nothing can be done until we are told if the "hub" is a real alternative or a pipe dream. I for 1 hope we hear something on that sooner rather than later as I would be loath to spend any more money "upgrading" BM if it not going to be our long term home. It is all well and good saying that a terraced end at the away end would not cost too much. If we are moving away any time soon, that would be more wasted money as we simply won't get enough "big" matches that we need the capacity raised for in the short term.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:46 pm

There are so many things about the Sporting Village / Hub beyond our control, particularly the time-scales. Until the politicians make a commitment and some financial agreements are made, all we can do is contribute our & any League requirements to the debate and save our money.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:04 pm

Increasing capacity to 4000 is far from easy. You can only build on about 60% of the open end. A terrace would increase capacity but you'd lose the equivalent of four rows deep standing in front of it. So you are taking about a terrace of 1400 or so, which is not cheap at all. It would have to be two and a half times as deep as the tin shed terrace.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:25 pm

EDJOHNS wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:11 pm
super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:46 pm

Les, If that was aimed at me I am not advocating going back simply the fact I keep on reading that the arena broke the club. It didn't. People with agendas did.
More response than aimed at.

In terms of anything to do with the Arena, basically for anyone who thinks we can just own it or be the major partner then neither are on the cards.

We would be a junior partner and still not have our future in our hands in terms of ground, plastic pitch and primacy of tenure are just impossible for us to get round.

Hopefully Johnston can pull something out of the bag but we aren't playing with a great hand unfortunatley.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:05 pm

EDJOHNS wrote:
It was people with agendas that helped cause our downfall at the arena. However Mowden seem to be swimming against the tide too as their money must be running out otherwise why would they be trying to create a sporting village for everyone to share the burden?

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:19 pm

:shifty: could it be that a creditor is calling in a debt, someone err a mr raj strings maybe??? .

They are indebt and cannot off set against revenue something has to give eventually. the sporting village is an option but it's debatable.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:36 pm

onewayup wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:19 pm
:shifty: could it be that a creditor is calling in a debt, someone err a mr raj strings maybe??? .

They are indebt and cannot off set against revenue something has to give eventually. the sporting village is an option but it's debatable.
That boat sailed a while ago in terms of Raj.

The council have guaranteed Mowden's current loan.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:34 pm

Yarblockos wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:04 pm
Increasing capacity to 4000 is far from easy. You can only build on about 60% of the open end. A terrace would increase capacity but you'd lose the equivalent of four rows deep standing in front of it. So you are taking about a terrace of 1400 or so, which is not cheap at all. It would have to be two and a half times as deep as the tin shed terrace.
Yes, but remember we also didn't reassess when we added the extra seats. Not to mention it's definitely more like 70% than 60, the pipe sort of crosses at the edge of the box towards the main stand. You can easily build a terrace there. You can also extend the seats with at least another block. 4,000 is easily achievable.

The point is that whatever we do should be done so infrastructure can be moved if we decide we're going to move to a sporting village development down the line.

The Arena can get in the bin. The arena is a common factor in every financial crisis of recent years. It was an oversized financial burden that will eventually kill Mowden Park rugby club as well. Just give it a few years. It's a right tatty mess these days anyway. Just wait until it starts falling apart and they can't afford to fix it... bits start getting mothballed...

The only way it would ever be viable is if it was dramatically downsized. Which it won't be.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:37 pm

loan_star wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:05 pm
EDJOHNS wrote:
It was people with agendas that helped cause our downfall at the arena. However Mowden seem to be swimming against the tide too as their money must be running out otherwise why would they be trying to create a sporting village for everyone to share the burden?
Yep. Looking for gullible football fans to bail them out of their financial burden.

While I agree a succession of bad chairmen caused the financial crises of the recent past, those crises were brought on by the financial millstone of the arena. I can't comprehend how some fans don't absolutely hate the place. I'd be delighted to see it knocked down.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:00 am

I know as others do the steel work is not galvanised, so maximum 25 year/30 year lifespan without being fully and properly maintained and painted every 3/years, which as everyone can see hasn't been done since the arena was built, it will fall down with it becoming a rusting hulk.

divas

Post by divas » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:31 am

H1987 wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:34 pm
Yarblockos wrote:
Yes, but remember we also didn't reassess when we added the extra seats. Not to mention it's definitely more like 70% than 60, the pipe sort of crosses at the edge of the box towards the main stand. You can easily build a terrace there. You can also extend the seats with at least another block. 4,000 is easily achievable.

The point is that whatever we do should be done so infrastructure can be moved if we decide we're going to move to a sporting village development down the line.

The Arena can get in the bin. The arena is a common factor in every financial crisis of recent years. It was an oversized financial burden that will eventually kill Mowden Park rugby club as well. Just give it a few years. It's a right tatty mess these days anyway. Just wait until it starts falling apart and they can't afford to fix it... bits start getting mothballed...

The only way it would ever be viable is if it was dramatically downsized. Which it won't be.
It’s certainly not that easy to get to 4000 as yarblockos points out. Even less so if you’re going to do it in a fashion that can be easily deconstructed and re-erected elsewhere.

Whilst the Arena is awful now I believe there are some grand plans and a lot of investment put aside to do a full refresh and partial remodel. It won’t solve the problem of it still being too big but it will make it a more pleasant place for now at least. The whole reason for the SV concept and surrounding infrastructure is to make the arena sustainable

en passant

Post by en passant » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:34 am

Had high hopes when I opened this thread that it would be about some bloke called Bill wanting to invest in the club.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:55 am

Sorry my post should have read as follows.
Sorry to live up to my name but what we will be left with is a weird looking stadium! A clubhouse on one side,a seated stand running 3/4 of the way down the other side and an open terrace behind one goal or at least 70% of one.
I appreciate that we are not in a strong position but is that where you want us to be in a few years time.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:23 am

divas wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:31 am
H1987 wrote:
Yarblockos wrote:

It’s certainly not that easy to get to 4000 as yarblockos points out. Even less so if you’re going to do it in a fashion that can be easily deconstructed and re-erected elsewhere.

Whilst the Arena is awful now I believe there are some grand plans and a lot of investment put aside to do a full refresh and partial remodel. It won’t solve the problem of it still being too big but it will make it a more pleasant place for now at least. The whole reason for the SV concept and surrounding infrastructure is to make the arena sustainable
I believe you are right about the Arena being remodelled & modernised. I also have heard from somebody at Darlington MP that they will now us to play there on Saturday afternoons.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:45 am

loan_star wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:05 pm
EDJOHNS wrote:
But have they also not jumped in and lumped money at new pitches etc? I have not been near the ground in a long time but a quick Google maps search seems to show 2 floodlit pitches behind the arena. Cost of building and upkeep? They also play at a level of rugby where they are probably paying players quite a whack and as I understand it they have sub 1000 crowds at matches.
I was always taught to buy within my means. Sadly when it involves sports clubs people seem to think money grows on trees

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:47 am

Playing non-league football on a plastic pitch at a giant empty stadium where we previously went under, sounds really tempting.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:55 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:23 am
divas wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:31 am
H1987 wrote:
Yarblockos wrote:

I believe you are right about the Arena being remodelled & modernised. I also have heard from somebody at Darlington MP that they will now us to play there on Saturday afternoons.
I have always said it would be a darn site cheaper to downsize the Arena rather than start again. Selling say 15,000 seats to start would not earn a lot, but would earn some money. Sure we would find more salable stuff to help the rebuild, and at least it would not all have to be done at once so can be staged as we could manage it. (I am saying we as in the club being some part of not necessarily all).